Coral Vue Hydros

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, 'Operation: Dickload of nerites' is a failure. Bastards just chill out at the water's surface on the tank walls, they don't go near the rocks, and they don't keep the glass clean. Sigh. Hopefully I can find mexican turbos somewhere.

Nerites are lazy jerks.

Dwarf Cerith snails get stuck in pumps and ATOs.

Astreas fall, can't get up, and then die.

F'n snails!

jedimasterben

Nerites are lazy jerks.

Dwarf Cerith snails get stuck in pumps and ATOs.

Astreas fall, can't get up, and then die.

F'n snails!

FL ceriths are my favorite, but I can no longer find them here, and every time I order them from Reefcleaners or a few of the other florida places they all die in transit, every time. :(

Love snails. Except turbos... I got 2 more turbos with the nuvo... 3 turbos waiting for you jedi

I still don't understand why no one around here can get mexican turbos! it's nuts!

FL ceriths are my favorite, but I can no longer find them here, and every time I order them from Reefcleaners or a few of the other florida places they all die in transit, every time. :(

I still don't understand why no one around here can get mexican turbos! it's nuts!

billysreefconnection.. dunno about the turbos tho

jedimasterben

billysreefconnection.. dunno about the turbos tho

Ordered from them on the 3rd, order still hasn't shipped. Emailed them last night and they said 'sorry, will ship tomorrow'. We'll see if they do and if I get yet another order of dead ceriths. I asked them to add some trochus snails to the order and they said that their trochus don't look so good, so makes me wonder what else they have that doesn't look good. Then I saw that they also have fish, and I want a clownfish to pair with mine, so I asked about adding one to the order since it's already overnight shipping anyway, they said that they're backordered, but the site shows almost everything on it as 'in stock' with lots of stock. Don't have a lot of confidence so far lol.

jedimasterben

Oh, and in other news, after putting the eductors back on and the gyre 130 off, then getting angry again with all the damned microbubbles in the tank (seriously couldn't see through to the end it was so hazy), the Gyre is all of a sudden noisy. I took it apart, gave it all a scrubdown and some parts a little vinegar bath, but it's still very loud. It also makes the overflow noisy if it points towards it (and if I have it mounted to the overflow it literally fills the tank completely since it is now pushing water away from the overflow box).

I've ordered a Jebao RW-8 to give it a shot on the tank since I can point it where I want it. We'll see if it can do the flow that I need it to.

I also ordered a Coral Box D500 skimmer. My Reef Octopus classic 110 just isn't keeping up, hair algae in the tank is growing rampant still. Meh.

Also, out of all the new fish I've gotten in the past few weeks, the only survivor is the Springer's damsel, which I literally cannot keep out of the damned sump. So it is now named Sumpy and it will live the rest of it's life there. This still leaves me with basically the same fish list. Clownfish, marine betta, yellowtail damsel, watchman goby, and Springer's damsel. Sigh.

Ordered from them on the 3rd, order still hasn't shipped. Emailed them last night and they said 'sorry, will ship tomorrow'. We'll see if they do and if I get yet another order of dead ceriths. I asked them to add some trochus snails to the order and they said that their trochus don't look so good, so makes me wonder what else they have that doesn't look good. Then I saw that they also have fish, and I want a clownfish to pair with mine, so I asked about adding one to the order since it's already overnight shipping anyway, they said that they're backordered, but the site shows almost everything on it as 'in stock' with lots of stock. Don't have a lot of confidence so far lol.

imma smack him

jedimasterben

imma smack him

They shipped late today, got an email about it. Still not sure why they sent the box via Next Day Air. UPS doesn't have a time guarantee, and Ground shipping would have gotten it here tomorrow, as well, for WAY cheaper, would have saved them a few bucks.

jedimasterben

Really not happy with the order from BRC. The 'sand sifting starfish' I was sold I've identified as Luida clathrata, the lined sea star. These grow to a foot in diameter and feed exclusively on Mulinia lateralis clams in the western Atlantic.

The 'nassarius' I was sold are not Nassarius vibex but are a species of whelk that I've not yet identified.

This is a 14" diameter Pyrex bowl so you can see how large this starfish already is. All in this bowl will simply be discarded, none of it is going into my tank.

IMG_4568.jpg

IMG_4561.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

Really not happy with the order from BRC. The 'sand sifting starfish' I was sold I've identified as Luida clathrata, the lined sea star. These grow to a foot in diameter and feed exclusively on Mulinia lateralis clams in the western Atlantic.

The 'nassarius' I was sold are not Nassarius vibex but are a species of whelk that I've not yet identified.

This is a 14" diameter Pyrex bowl so you can see how large this starfish already is. All in this bowl will simply be discarded, none of it is going into my tank.

IMG_4568.jpg

IMG_4561.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

Man that sucks ben...Im really glad you double checked before just throwing them in your tank. That could have been a disaster..

jedimasterben

ay yi yi

did the ceriths survive? :lol:

Two empty shells, but the rest are already moving around! The chestnut turbos and the astraeas all are starting to roam around, one of the turbos has found a patch of algae and is mowing it down. Even counting the nassarius and starfish troubles, I'm pretty happy.

Man that sucks ben...Im really glad you double checked before just throwing them in your tank. That could have been a disaster..

Yeah, I've had these same snails in the past and I'm pretty certain that they're part of what took out some of my clams a couple of years ago.

I actually just got off the phone with Billy himself, he will get back in touch with me later once he reviews the photos and such. Talked with him for probably 15 minutes, seems like a good guy that will make it right. Seemed like these 'nassarius' are what he's been getting for a while now and hasn't had any reports of clams being eaten, but I don't take any chances even though I don't have any Tridacnids right now, don't want to get one and then have any worries about having to fish out snails that I may or may not know where they're hanging out at.

As to the starfish, he said he's never seen one get as big as they're recorded at, but still it is not the same as what is pictured on their website, which is Astropecten polycanthus. https://billysreefconnection.com/starfish/7569-sand-sifting-star.html

Here's one of the offending snails from a few years back.

2012_10_27__22_43_44.jpg

As to the starfish, he said he's never seen one get as big as they're recorded at, but still it is not the same as what is pictured on their website, which is Astropecten polycanthus. https://billysreefconnection.com/starfish/7569-sand-sifting-star.html

Yea thats definitely not the same species. I was looking around for some more pics of Luida clathrata

Definitely the same star as yours..

netted%20sea%20star%207926%20Luidia%20cl

jedimasterben

The 'nassarius' snails are tentatively Gemophos tinctus. Definitely whelks. http://www.gastropods.com/8/Shell_3228.shtml

Talked to Billy again this morning. He is changing the photos on his website to reflect the changes in his stock (and will probably also add the names of the stuff, too) and is giving a partial refund for the star and snails. Not 100% satisfied with the transaction, but as long as the website is changed to reflect the changes in stock, then I would recommend them as long as you are getting what you wanted.

The 'nassarius' snails are tentatively Gemophos tinctus. Definitely whelks. http://www.gastropods.com/8/Shell_3228.shtml

Talked to Billy again this morning. He is changing the photos on his website to reflect the changes in his stock (and will probably also add the names of the stuff, too) and is giving a partial refund for the star and snails. Not 100% satisfied with the transaction, but as long as the website is changed to reflect the changes in stock, then I would recommend them as long as you are getting what you wanted.

In all honestly he should give a 100% refund. They are not the species you paid for plain and simple. If he cant properly identify the animals he sells then maybe hes in the wrong business. The sad part is the animals have to suffer for his mistake and will likely perish. I personally would file a paypal or credit claim

jedimasterben

In all honestly he should give a 100% refund. They are not the species you paid for plain and simple. If he cant properly identify the animals he sells then maybe hes in the wrong business. The sad part is the animals have to suffer for his mistake and will likely perish. I personally would file a paypal or credit claim

The refund more than covers the cost of the snails and starfish that were incorrect, the rest of the order was as described. Hesaid that he will be doing more research on these particular species and update his site and business accordingly.

I would be the one to keep everything in a jar cause I can't just let it die...

Like that stupid worm! :rolleyes:

righttirefire

I have 2 whelks in my tank... no issues. I bought them as nassarius also. Than i complained to my LFS, they tried to tell me they were cerith. Lol. They are confirmed algea eaters. And have been with me for months without issue. So...

jedimasterben

I have 2 whelks in my tank... no issues. I bought them as nassarius also. Than i complained to my LFS, they tried to tell me they were cerith. Lol. They are confirmed algea eaters. And have been with me for months without issue. So...

Whelks are not all predatory, but the ones I have are confirmed predatory to gastropods.

jedimasterben

Dave found a heatsink! huzzah!

download_20151113_143246.jpg

All that is left is to get that in, and driver boards, and I can get this show on the road!

jedimasterben

So yesterday morning I swapped the big rocks from left to right. I typically look at the tank from the left end, and the left rock was taller, so I could see less of the right rock.

Also got a lyretail anthias and a big rock with an electric green nephthea and a red goniopora encrusted on it. I only wanted the nephthea, so they were gonna clip it off, but it was attached too low in the rock, so the guy said 'give him the whole damn rock with the coral, too much work to get it off', so got the rock, which was 4.5lbs and normally almost $40 itself, all for $20. The rock is too big to stay in the display, so I will eventually break it apart and get the corals off of it. Has some nice coralline on it, maybe it will seed my tank lol.

jedimasterben

Just broke apart the rock that had the nephthea and goniopora. The goni is actually pink, not red :wub:

Will get a pic tomorrow after it has all calmed down. Going to the Orlando Science Center tomorrow with family. :)

Archived