inTank Media Baskets

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

Some 'Ben's Reef Frenzy' ;)

IMG_20151204_192348429.jpg

it would be great if I had an easier way of getting some of them to stick! most don't glue well, especially when you have ~10 total pieces you need to glob glue on to get them to stick right and only one tube of glue to do it with! I had four or five pieces come undone that night, still need to go get more glue and glob them until they stay :)

Does the glue not burn them or damage them in some way?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Does the glue not burn them or damage them in some way?

No, just like doing it to coral, except a lot of macros are very slimy, like a soft coral, the glue doesn't adhere to them much at all. What you have to do is glob glue on over a branch so that the glue basically forms a lasso and they usually stay then.

jedimasterben

Thanks been for the info. ;) been pretty happy with my Wp25s. Been going strong two years almost but I could see buying the rw8s

I've never used the WP or FS series, but their design lends to being super directional. The RW have a pretty broad flow. I'm still playing with placement of the two. Difficult to not splash water out of the tank!

I've never used the WP or FS series, but their design lends to being super directional. The RW have a pretty broad flow. I'm still playing with placement of the two. Difficult to not splash water out of the tank!

That's why i want the rw series. The more my tank fills in the harder it is to find sweet spot with pumps

jedimasterben

That's why i want the rw series. The more my tank fills in the harder it is to find sweet spot with pumps

I'm with you in a way. As it is now my rockwork is so oddly shaped that getting flow everywhere is nearly impossible without blasting something. I set them to W1 pulse mode a couple of hours ago, it seemed to calm everything down a bit. Had them running on C alternating mode, but for some reason they are moving the sand on the opposite end of the tank when at full speed even on just one of the pumps. So much for Grand Select never moving lol

Macros are looking nice in your tank! It's awesome to see them look almost exactly the same as they did before shipping; I'm a lot more confident about shipping macros now, thanks to you ;) I also wish I had some cupressoides now too <_<

Anyways, the tank looks great and the filefish adorable. As for getting the macros to stay, I'd recommend loosely rubber banding them to some rubble until they attach (which might be awhile) but at least there's less chance of them sliding off and getting lost.

Some 'Ben's Reef Frenzy' ;)

IMG_20151204_192348429.jpg

it would be great if I had an easier way of getting some of them to stick! most don't glue well, especially when you have ~10 total pieces you need to glob glue on to get them to stick right and only one tube of glue to do it with! I had four or five pieces come undone that night, still need to go get more glue and glob them until they stay :)

How many more years until someone creates a glue that cures like super glue, idk... 30 seconds after being under water? I personally think we are only a few years away.

jedimasterben

Macros are looking nice in your tank! It's awesome to see them look almost exactly the same as they did before shipping; I'm a lot more confident about shipping macros now, thanks to you ;) I also wish I had some cupressoides now too <_<

Anyways, the tank looks great and the filefish adorable. As for getting the macros to stay, I'd recommend loosely rubber banding them to some rubble until they attach (which might be awhile) but at least there's less chance of them sliding off and getting lost.

They looked awesome! As soon as I cut open the bottle they were in I was like holy crap this is a LOT! Out of all of them, the 'cactus' looking green macro and the red fern-like macro are my favorites! Can't wait to see them grow out!

I actually didn't have any rubber bands lol or I would have used them! The only one that I really had trouble with was the blue ochtodes. Since that macro is so stringy and they are only loosely connected together, gluing part of it would lead to the rest of the clump pulling off, so I did the best I could do at the time - pink zip tie :lol:

thanks again!

How many more years until someone creates a glue that cures like super glue, idk... 30 seconds after being under water? I personally think we are only a few years away.

Well, I mean we already have superglue and it pretty much does that already :D

They looked awesome! As soon as I cut open the bottle they were in I was like holy crap this is a LOT! Out of all of them, the 'cactus' looking green macro and the red fern-like macro are my favorites! Can't wait to see them grow out!

I actually didn't have any rubber bands lol or I would have used them! The only one that I really had trouble with was the blue ochtodes. Since that macro is so stringy and they are only loosely connected together, gluing part of it would lead to the rest of the clump pulling off, so I did the best I could do at the time - pink zip tie :lol:

thanks again!

Well, I mean we already have superglue and it pretty much does that already :D

Those are some of my favorite too :) I had somebody actually ID the green as caulerpa serrulata. And yeah, haha you didn't want the other caulerpas and had to pay for shipping so I crammed in some extras ;) With ochtodes, I kind of just wedged them in best I could since they're so flexible but the zip tie is probably a good call anyways :)

So I have been holding out on you guys lol. Tank is still going through the uglies, though with the new skimmer and renewed cleanup crew, hair algae is starting to slowly disappear. Got a Starcki damsel, pair of ORA pygmy filefish, and a derasa clam from Diver's Den. Also got some snails and a couple of corals from kguske2, and some macroalgae from antsypants, some of which I've never even seen before.

One of the main issues I'm having is with every surface being 'sticky'. If I stir up the detritus in the sump or stir the sand, all of the rock, hair algae, macros, and coral get that debris stuck to them, with which I have to take a turkey baster to every surface several times to get it back off and make sure it doesn't stir too much up at once as it will just stick right back to everything. I got my second RW-8 in yesterday and got it hooked up, took two button presses and less tan 10 seconds to get the two wirelessly linked. I'm still playing around with placement of the two. Thinking one in the top left rear corner and on in the bottom right rear corner, both pointing towards the center front.

My star grass and cactus caulerpa are both growing great. Only problem with them is the 'sticky'ness and debris getting caught on them. Blech. Hopefully over time the skimmer will help with that.

You'll also notice the tank is much brighter now that I have the Coral Compulsion PAR38 off the tank. More on that at a later date. :ninja:

IMG_20151201_141352455.jpg

IMG_20151201_142844448.jpg

IMG_20151202_185120542.jpg

IMG_20151202_211745630.jpg

IMG_20151202_211748460.jpg

IMG_20151202_211758437.jpg

IMG_20151202_211828192.jpg

IMG_20151202_211905771.jpg

IMG_20151202_212004105.jpg

IMG_20151202_212015224.jpg

those macros :wub:

I need to reach out to Antsy :)

jedimasterben

Tank is lookin' good! Where did you get the macros?

From NR user antsypants. :)

those macros :wub:

I need to reach out to Antsy :)

Do itttt

ANTSY!!!!! I NEED SOME OF YOUR MACRO LOVE!

ANTSY!!!!! I NEED SOME OF YOUR MACRO LOVE!

I'd be happy to give you some!

I'm away at school right now but I'll be home by the end of this week. If the macros need to be trimmed again I'll get you some of that love ;):lol: More than likely though, I'll probably only have enough to make a couple smaller packs but feel free to PM me what you want! Most of the species I have available are on my FS thread :)

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/367703-macros-fs-local-pickup-in-socal/

I'd be happy to give you some!

I'm away at school right now but I'll be home by the end of this week. If the macros need to be trimmed again I'll get you some of that love ;):lol: More than likely though, I'll probably only have enough to make a couple smaller packs but feel free to PM me what you want! Most of the species I have available are on my FS thread :)

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/367703-macros-fs-local-pickup-in-socal/

I am going to go look right now :) You are AWESOME!

Ha you and your "I'm done buying critters" are bullshit!

:lol: These I consider plants. In my mind, that's how I justify it :)

By the way, Ben - the tank is looking awesome! In my macro excitement, I forgot to say that :flower:

jedimasterben

Thanks stella! at the moment it really does not look all that great. Once the weird 'stickiness' goes away and everything grows in for a few more months I might be satisfied lol

On, and forgot to mention on this thread that I just ordered some gorgonians, a hawkwing conch, and a basket star from KPA. Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

I am going to go look right now :) You are AWESOME!

Haha thank you :) Macros were originally from a fellow NR member, phobos2deimos I believe but his tank was broken down so I'm carrying on the macro legacy I suppose :lol: Anyways, got your PM so I won't have to clog up Ben's thread with my side business anymore haha. Will respond momentarily.

Thanks stella! at the moment it really does not look all that great. Once the weird 'stickiness' goes away and everything grows in for a few more months I might be satisfied lol

On, and forgot to mention on this thread that I just ordered some gorgonians, a hawkwing conch, and a basket star from KPA. Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

Nice! You DID order the basket star. Those are so cool.

jedimasterben

Nice! You DID order the basket star. Those are so cool.

Well, I emailed them to have it added if possible. Hopefully they can though :)

:lol: These I consider plants. In my mind, that's how I justify it :)

By the way, Ben - the tank is looking awesome! In my macro excitement, I forgot to say that :flower:

Hmm... So no "corals" is it? So anything that isn't is allowed? I bet it's going to go like this:

"These are just plants" (Macros)

"These are just clams" (Invertebrate)

"These are just RFAs!" (invertebrates

Archived