Coral Vue Hydros

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

I wish I could have a larger tank to have some of htose pretty leathers. I find them simply lovely.

Just buy some :)

Family looks good Ben,all happy as clams :)

Also,the fish collection is very nice to see as I was catching up,I like that betta too. Weird looking fish.

Yeah, she is definitely one of my all time favorites. Been with me for a year and like three days now :)
jedimasterben

Made another Liveaquaria order. Got a nice bluish green leather, a lemon yellow stereonephthea, and a Fiji yellow leather. I had ordered the yellow leather with the last order, but they were out of stock. LA NEVER charges you for something that doesn't ship, so they only had a hold in PayPal for it just showing the transaction was still open. They do that two weeks, then if they still haven't gotten another coral, they remove the hold.

They emailed today and said the two weeks was almost up, so I called and asked if I could get a credit and order a smaller or larger, whichever they have in stock. She explained that I was never charged and that she would clear the payment hold so that I could order it. She also said to make a comment in the notes saying that since this is a replacement for an out of stock item to waive the shipping!

So I went to order another yellow leather, and I got an email from LA giving me an in stock notification for their CCGC lemons yellow stereonephthea, so I was like GOTTA HAVE IT TOO. Also grabbed the 'fat finger' leather, can't remember what species it is. Anyway, I was expecting to at least pay the $15 'addon' shipping when you order from LA's normal facility and from DD or from ORA in the same order, but when the PayPal transactions were confirmed, neither had any shipping, which was a nice surprise! Blue Zoo would have NEVER done anything like that. This once again solidifies my patronage with them and not Blue Zoo.

Totally agree LA has the best customer service.

BTW Beautiful fish pics Ben. I meant to ask hows the starcki behaving? Ive considering buying one in the past but didn't want to risk having issues with some of the other livestock I had at the time.

jedimasterben

Totally agree LA has the best customer service.

BTW Beautiful fish pics Ben. I meant to ask hows the starcki behaving? Ive considering buying one in the past but didn't want to risk having issues with some of the other livestock I had at the time.

Starkis have a rep for being some of the nastier Chrysiptera damsels, but this one is not so bad. It does not like the other damsels in the tank (more tolerates until they get too close) but doesn't seem to bother anything else. Only the damsels are similar shaped, and no other fish is really the same color other than the springers damsel.

I dummied up earlier and forgot to get a tuxedo damsel and possibly a princess/ocellate damsel since I was ordering anyway. Oh well! There will definitely be a next time :)

Starkis have a rep for being some of the nastier Chrysiptera damsels, but this one is not so bad. It does not like the other damsels in the tank (more tolerates until they get too close) but doesn't seem to bother anything else. Only the damsels are similar shaped, and no other fish is really the same color other than the springers damsel.

I dummied up earlier and forgot to get a tuxedo damsel and possibly a princess/ocellate damsel since I was ordering anyway. Oh well! There will definitely be a next time :)

Thanks yea Im thinking if I do get one it will be the last fish I add to the tank to minimize any aggression. Its weird because ive heard some say they are the most docile of the Chrysiptera group but I guess it can totally depend on the individual fish as well as existing livestock...

jedimasterben

Thanks yea Im thinking if I do get one it will be the last fish I add to the tank to minimize any aggression. Its weird because ive heard some say they are the most docile of the Chrysiptera group but I guess it can totally depend on the individual fish as well as existing livestock...

As long as you don't have anything the same shape or roughly the same color then they're probably pretty docile. :)

This is what is coming tomorrow from LiveAquaria. The yellow Fiji leather will get here today :)

_cfimg-866261889681667717.PNG

p-47001-lemon-tree.jpg

Beautiful tank and baby.

I've never heard of a UV sterilizer causing water discoloration, what's that about?

Also, why are you running it?

jedimasterben

Beautiful tank and baby.

I've never heard of a UV sterilizer causing water discoloration, what's that about?

Also, why are you running it?

IMG_9568.jpg

Ostreopsis sp. dinoflagellates. I'd imagine the discoloration is from killing them in such large quantity. I put the sterilizer on a timer so that it only runs at night now and the yellow has really toned down. It's definitely still there, but I think this might be liveable. I might also try it for even less time and see if I still have no visible dinos and can get rid of the yellowing, it will be a very delicate balancing act.

That yellow!! :wub:

Yeah, I was just going to order a yellow fiji leather, but then I got an email literally a minute after getting off the phone with LA that the yellow stereonephthea was back in stock. HAD to have it!

IMG_9568.jpg

Ostreopsis sp. dinoflagellates. I'd imagine the discoloration is from killing them in such large quantity. I put the sterilizer on a timer so that it only runs at night now and the yellow has really toned down. It's definitely still there, but I think this might be liveable. I might also try it for even less time and see if I still have no visible dinos and can get rid of the yellowing, it will be a very delicate balancing act.

Yeah, I was just going to order a yellow fiji leather, but then I got an email literally a minute after getting off the phone with LA that the yellow stereonephthea was back in stock. HAD to have it!

How were you able to diagnose that it was that kind of dino's? Is that pic under some kind of magnification? Not trying to be a pest, I just like to understand things, who knows when I'll know need the knowledge.

As long as you don't have anything the same shape or roughly the same color then they're probably pretty docile. :)

This is what is coming tomorrow from LiveAquaria. The yellow Fiji leather will get here today :)

p-47001-lemon-tree.jpg

What gorgeous coral! I would not mind having that yellow stereonephthea in my seahorse tank. They do not sting, right?

Made another Liveaquaria order. Got a nice bluish green leather, a lemon yellow stereonephthea, and a Fiji yellow leather. I had ordered the yellow leather with the last order, but they were out of stock. LA NEVER charges you for something that doesn't ship, so they only had a hold in PayPal for it just showing the transaction was still open. They do that two weeks, then if they still haven't gotten another coral, they remove the hold.

They emailed today and said the two weeks was almost up, so I called and asked if I could get a credit and order a smaller or larger, whichever they have in stock. She explained that I was never charged and that she would clear the payment hold so that I could order it. She also said to make a comment in the notes saying that since this is a replacement for an out of stock item to waive the shipping!

So I went to order another yellow leather, and I got an email from LA giving me an in stock notification for their CCGC lemons yellow stereonephthea, so I was like GOTTA HAVE IT TOO. Also grabbed the 'fat finger' leather, can't remember what species it is. Anyway, I was expecting to at least pay the $15 'addon' shipping when you order from LA's normal facility and from DD or from ORA in the same order, but when the PayPal transactions were confirmed, neither had any shipping, which was a nice surprise! Blue Zoo would have NEVER done anything like that. This once again solidifies my patronage with them and not Blue Zoo.

I am a huge LA fan. Honestly, I have never had any issues - and only good experiences. Granted, some stuff didn't make it, but they always refund FAST. Their packaging is superb as well. They really set the standard I think.

p-47001-lemon-tree.jpg

OMG I want it :)

jedimasterben

How were you able to diagnose that it was that kind of dino's? Is that pic under some kind of magnification? Not trying to be a pest, I just like to understand things, who knows when I'll know need the knowledge.

Yes, I think that was either 100x or 200x magnification. But on a macro level they form mats that smother corals, as they produce a list of nasty toxins.

IMG_9621.jpg

IMG_9625.jpg

jedimasterben

What gorgeous coral! I would not mind having that yellow stereonephthea in my seahorse tank. They do not sting, right?

I believe that all corals have nematocysts to some extent (as they are all Cnidarians), but going up to the Alcyonacea order, it seems that those are much less common as their attack/defense and they use more allelopathic toxins to do their dirty work.

I believe that all corals have nematocysts to some extent (as they are all Cnidarians), but going up to the Alcyonacea order, it seems that those are much less common as their attack/defense and they use more allelopathic toxins to do their dirty work.

I guess I should check seahorse.org to see where they rate that coral before I consider one.

Yes, I think that was either 100x or 200x magnification. But on a macro level they form mats that smother corals, as they produce a list of nasty toxins.

IMG_9621.jpg

IMG_9625.jpg

Thanks for this, the pics & explanation are very helpful!!!

Looks as if there's more than one kind of dinos. These appear yellowish brown and I'm pretty sure I've seen some before with different coloration.

I honestly never thought of using a uv sterilizer to get rid of dinos, but I recently got a sterilizer in a tub of reef stuff that from a friend who's no longer Reefing. Now I have a good use for it!!

That yellow stereonephthea was labelled as a lemon tree when I bought it from LA a few years back. Zeph and I went in on the shipment together. Super small frags on that square tile they send. They lasted a good bit but then melted.

Looks as if there's more than one kind of dinos. These appear yellowish brown and I'm pretty sure I've seen some before with different coloration.

I honestly never thought of using a uv sterilizer to get rid of dinos, but I recently got a sterilizer in a tub of reef stuff that from a friend who's no longer Reefing. Now I have a good use for it!!

Benny should mention that an XL jumbo Gargantuan Behemoth of a sterilizer is needed for dino duty.

jedimasterben

Make sure to purchase a good lamp for it, such as Philips. They will have significantly higher output than the no-name brands.

So gawd, this yellow leather is BRIGHT. And it's already got near full polyp extension!!

Also, I think LiveAquaria didn't actually cancel the previous order. I got a shipment notification earlier today for a yellow Fiji leather from their California warehouse... it's a new tracking number that is now on its way here. Going to call them tomorrow and get it all figured out.

jedimasterben

Well, ####. Called LiveAquaria a minute ago. The previous order got fulfilled the same day that it was canceled, so the leather I received yesterday was the one from my order on December 28th, the leather I'm receiving today is the one from my order on the 12th. She said that even though I had gotten the 'your order is going to be canceled because we don't have stock' email at 3PM and called shortly after to get it canceled and then place a new order, that person apparently would have had no knowledge of their current stock levels or that the order would be shipping that day. So I was charged $53.49 and that charge will stay.

The shittiest part is that I was in the middle of closing the bank account associated with that transaction and had removed all the money from it and just waiting the few days for it to close itself down, and now I owe that bank the money for the transaction plus $35. Go me.

EDIT: Looks like I had enough in Paypal on the 12th to cover it, so even though the original transaction came out of that bank, the updated transaction pulled directly from my Paypal balance, so I have avoided the $35 charge, but I am still stuck with a $53.49 leather that I won't be able to sell but for half that.

but I am still stuck with a $53.49 leather that I won't be able to sell but for half that.

Maybe a kind nano reef member will be willing to purchase it for your cost, if not very close? I certainly would, to help you out in a poopy situation, but I won't do any shipping in the cold weather.

I actually just added that yellow fiji leather to my want list...

Archived