Cultivated Reef

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Sweet! Betta babies soon...

Yeah, I wouldn't even know where to begin, much less where I'd find the time for that :lol:

So Friday night the nem went into QT. Spartan, but accommodating. I could not find my whole sheet of mesh, so I had to improvise to keep the nem away from the MJ1200 and heater :lol: Meds went in that night.

IMG_20160206_242732863.jpg

The next day the nem looked decent.

IMG_5612.jpg

Then things started to turn sour. Ammonia crept up over Saturday and the water became a little cloudy. Dosed a triple dose of alpha to take care of that, but it looked like this through most of the day.

IMG_20160207_092613576.jpg

Sunday morning it was for all intents and purposes dead. Its mouth was gaping open, it had detached from the glass, it was completely deflated, lifeless. I was literally carrying it to the door to throw it out when I figured what the hell, I'll put it in the sump, if it dies, the worst that could happen is, well, nothing, really, I have excellent filtration.

It perked up a bit, but the mouth was gaping open like this, and has only closed it slightly.

IMG_20160207_225034495.jpg

This is what it looked like Monday morning before I went to work.

IMG_20160208_071530406.jpg

And when I got home Monday afternoon.

IMG_20160208_194024313.jpg

On Monday night after a family dinner I did a 35 gallon water change. Yes, you read that right, I did a water change, in spite of dinoflagellates. My UV sterilizer has been off for a bit because I needed the timer for the PAR38 over the nem in the sump. I still have not seen a bloom, or any dinos anywhere, not even on the gorgonians that are always being covered by them. I can't explain it.

IMG_20160208_213731448.jpg

I drained the display until it had less than an inch of water left in it, the new potter's angel I got a couple of weeks ago that is super fat could barely even swim on its side lol

IMG_20160208_213738892.jpg

This is my white polyp Sarcophyton before it started pulling in its polyps.

IMG_20160208_213803523.jpg

And a quick shot from Tuesday.

IMG_20160209_175400192.jpg

IMG_5736.jpg

IMG_5742.jpg

Potter's angel is already eating NLS pellets.

IMG_5748.jpg

IMG_5752.jpg

Nem has recovered to pre-QT inflation. The mouth is still gigantic and gaping, but I literally thought it was dead the third day in QT, so its recovery from that is just amazing in such a short time. It was the size of a small lemon and had NO tentacle inflation at all.

IMG_5758.jpg

This nem is almost literally bulletproof. I just wish I could figure out why it isn't inflating like it used to. Even after the water change, I'm not seeing the 'magical' improvement the 'gurus' on ReefCentral were telling me I'd see. We'll see about that in a couple of weeks, see if it improves or not.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I wouldn't even know where to begin, much less where I'd find the time for that :lol:

So Friday night the nem went into QT. Spartan, but accommodating. I could not find my whole sheet of mesh, so I had to improvise to keep the nem away from the MJ1200 and heater :lol: Meds went in that night.

IMG_20160206_242732863.jpg

The next day the nem looked decent.

IMG_5612.jpg

Then things started to turn sour. Ammonia crept up over Saturday and the water became a little cloudy. Dosed a triple dose of alpha to take care of that, but it looked like this through most of the day.

IMG_20160207_092613576.jpg

Sunday morning it was for all intents and purposes dead. Its mouth was gaping open, it had detached from the glass, it was completely deflated, lifeless. I was literally carrying it to the door to throw it out when I figured what the hell, I'll put it in the sump, if it dies, the worst that could happen is, well, nothing, really, I have excellent filtration.

It perked up a bit, but the mouth was gaping open like this, and has only closed it slightly.

IMG_20160207_225034495.jpg

This is what it looked like Monday morning before I went to work.

IMG_20160208_071530406.jpg

And when I got home Monday afternoon.

IMG_20160208_194024313.jpg

On Monday night after a family dinner I did a 35 gallon water change. Yes, you read that right, I did a water change, in spite of dinoflagellates. My UV sterilizer has been off for a bit because I needed the timer for the PAR38 over the nem in the sump. I still have not seen a bloom, or any dinos anywhere, not even on the gorgonians that are always being covered by them. I can't explain it.

IMG_20160208_213731448.jpg

I drained the display until it had less than an inch of water left in it, the new potter's angel I got a couple of weeks ago that is super fat could barely even swim on its side lol

IMG_20160208_213738892.jpg

This is my white polyp Sarcophyton before it started pulling in its polyps.

IMG_20160208_213803523.jpg

And a quick shot from Tuesday.

IMG_20160209_175400192.jpg

IMG_5736.jpg

IMG_5742.jpg

Potter's angel is already eating NLS pellets.

IMG_5748.jpg

IMG_5752.jpg

Nem has recovered to pre-QT inflation. The mouth is still gigantic and gaping, but I literally thought it was dead the third day in QT, so its recovery from that is just amazing in such a short time. It was the size of a small lemon and had NO tentacle inflation at all.

IMG_5758.jpg

This nem is almost literally bulletproof. I just wish I could figure out why it isn't inflating like it used to. Even after the water change, I'm not seeing the 'magical' improvement the 'gurus' on ReefCentral were telling me I'd see. We'll see about that in a couple of weeks, see if it improves or not.

Tank looks great man.

As far as the nem, when I had a bunch yrs ago they would never inflate like when I got them within a few weeks or so. Would it be possible the dinos are messing with it or something?

Realized I don't think I have cleaned the glass in over a week, it was gross :wacko:

Tank water is still pretty yellow even though the UV is off during my Kent Tech M treatment, all carbon and purigen are out, only the skimmer is on. Want to leave as much of the good stuff in the tank as possible.

Got a new lens today. Canon EF-S 24mm f2.8. I like it, nice and sharp and has a decently wide shot.

I also filled up the little 5g holding tank for the magnifica nem, it didn't inflate anymore today with the doubling of light, so I am thinking I will grab it tomorrow and stick it in QT. Leave it for a day, see how it looks, if it doesn't improve, will do a night treatment of ciprofloxacin and observe.

Noticing any improvement with the bryopsis?

jedimasterben

Tank looks great man.

As far as the nem, when I had a bunch yrs ago they would never inflate like when I got them within a few weeks or so. Would it be possible the dinos are messing with it or something?

Thanks chris! It's coming along. The dinos have bloomed many times since I got the thing and it has never deflated until after the powerhead incident, but now after looking back at my photos I'm seeing a trend, I think it may actually be flow related.

This is September 1st, about three weeks after the powerhead incident (early Augus), flow is only from the eductors.

IMG_2610.jpg

This is September 29th, so over a month post-haircut lol, flow is very small coming from the two returns and is strong from the Gyre on the opposite panel to the nem, the tentacles are long and flowy.

IMG_2991.jpg

And this is December 13th, with primary flow from the panel nearest the nem, and it is getting beaten and battered by it, I am wondering now if it is just getting too much flow where it is, which I didn't even think was possible for a magnifica. :blink:

IMG_4699.jpg

Noticing any improvement with the bryopsis?

#### no lol, this shit is in there laughing at me :lol:

Thanks chris! It's coming along. The dinos have bloomed many times since I got the thing and it has never deflated until after the powerhead incident, but now after looking back at my photos I'm seeing a trend, I think it may actually be flow related.

This is September 1st, about three weeks after the powerhead incident (early Augus), flow is only from the eductors.

IMG_2610.jpg

This is September 29th, so over a month post-haircut lol, flow is very small coming from the two returns and is strong from the Gyre on the opposite panel to the nem, the tentacles are long and flowy.

IMG_2991.jpg

And this is December 13th, with primary flow from the panel nearest the nem, and it is getting beaten and battered by it, I am wondering now if it is just getting too much flow where it is, which I didn't even think was possible for a magnifica. :blink:

IMG_4699.jpg

#### no lol, this shit is in there laughing at me :lol:

If it helps my "bubble tips" never bubbled when I was running a ton of flow so it wouldn't surprise me if it was flow related. They always bubbled nicely in the low flow tanks at the LFS, but not as good in our SPS heavy display, and I'd bring them home and they would deflate and stay small... I had like 9 on one little island for about a yr like that and never really thought about the flow being the cause until now, I was thinking lighting back then because I ran LEDs and ya know LEDs have always been the problem since intro LOL

jedimasterben

If it helps my "bubble tips" never bubbled when I was running a ton of flow so it wouldn't surprise me if it was flow related. They always bubbled nicely in the low flow tanks at the LFS, but not as good in our SPS heavy display, and I'd bring them home and they would deflate and stay small... I had like 9 on one little island for about a yr like that and never really thought about the flow being the cause until now, I was thinking lighting back then because I ran LEDs and ya know LEDs have always been the problem since intro LOL

lol. I just didn't think that it was possible for magnificas, they usually love to get their faces bashed in with flow.

Wait, do nems have faces? :D

And I never had a nem that didn't inflate, get enormous and try to take over my tank! Its crazy because I was not happy with that situation either. Half the tank's real-estate being taken up by 1 coral. Maybe its nutrient related? I have never run a low nutrient tank.

1 step at a time Ben - get that nem nice and recovered and THEN start to work on it puffing up. It takes a lot of energy to bounce back from a major infection. Give it a week or two and it'll puff back up.

jedimasterben

And I never had a nem that didn't inflate, get enormous and try to take over my tank! Its crazy because I was not happy with that situation either. Half the tank's real-estate being taken up by 1 coral. Maybe its nutrient related? I have never run a low nutrient tank.

I'm not quite in low nutrient at this point, my skimmer is set to skim pretty wet and I have it so it doesn't pull a whole lot. I also took out all chemical filtration and UV, so N/P should be elevated right now.

1 step at a time Ben - get that nem nice and recovered and THEN start to work on it puffing up. It takes a lot of energy to bounce back from a major infection. Give it a week or two and it'll puff back up.

Well, I don't think that it was an infection at this point, as it is no better than it was. With these nems, they start reinflating immediately after treatment.

Great job on the nem love the potters Angel- beautiful fish

I love them, they're my favorite angel. I'm so glad this one is already nomming on pellets.

Benny, you put a MJ1200 in a 5G tank? WHERE IS MY BEATING STICK!

It was only around 1200GPH or so. It was severely cut by the mesh, I actually was worried it would not be enough.

Me too but I have the easier anemones like RFA and RBTA

Those also can't physically get too large, though. Magnificas can get three feet in diameter before splitting!

Great job on the nem love the potters Angel- beautiful fish

That potter's angel is gorgeous, some of the prettiest coloring I have seen. A lot of them almost look like Coral Beauties.

jedimasterben

Do you have a turbo snail?

I have one or two Caribbean turbo snails I think. I had more, but they have been dying off as I do have enough algae they eat to sustain them.

Me too but I have the easier anemones like RFA and RBTA

I also had easy nems, sebae and rbta.

I'm not quite in low nutrient at this point, my skimmer is set to skim pretty wet and I have it so it doesn't pull a whole lot. I also took out all chemical filtration and UV, so N/P should be elevated right now.

I shouldn't just have assumed. I remember that you had run a low nutrient system before and when I saw the bare bottom and high flow I made a wrong assumption. I am sure with a new baby and all you don't want to be testing parameters every day!
jedimasterben

I also had easy nems, sebae and rbta.

I shouldn't just have assumed. I remember that you had run a low nutrient system before and when I saw the bare bottom and high flow I made a wrong assumption. I am sure with a new baby and all you don't want to be testing parameters every day!

Sebae nems actually are one of the more difficult, they are closely related to magnificas. I had one for about a year and a half before moving into my 80g and I lost it :(

I look forward to getting another now that I know why they usually drop like flies when first received (infections) and know how to combat them :)

Every day? Psh. I don't even have nitrate or phosphate test kits that have good reagents :lol:

They don't eat it.

Emeralds do. Some urchins do.

Mine did a few days after the Mg levels were around the 1800 mark.

I have one or two Caribbean turbo snails I think. I had more, but they have been dying off as I do have enough algae they eat to sustain them.

Not sure exactly where mine is from, was just listed as a Mexican Turbo. It has iridescent patches on it's shell, didn't see many like that so I picked it. It's been a champ in my tank.

Mine did a few days after the Mg levels were around the 1800 mark.

Not sure exactly where mine is from, was just listed as a Mexican Turbo. It has iridescent patches on it's shell, didn't see many like that so I picked it. It's been a champ in my tank.

Do you have a turbo rental service?

Do you have a turbo rental service?

I do but it's veeerrryyy expensive for that foot service, lol.

I assume it only ate it because it had been compromised by the tech-m treatment. I'd seen it by that patch before and it didn't touch it until after I'd maintained the mag levels around 1800 for a few days. I also pulled the long pieces manually so it was really just short stuff.

One of the stores by me has a fox face that eats it, he's got a few patches in some of his tanks and he just moves it around. It's the fattest foxface I've ever seen.

jedimasterben

One of the stores by me has a fox face that eats it, he's got a few patches in some of his tanks and he just moves it around. It's the fattest foxface I've ever seen.

Yeah, rabbitfish will chow down on it. If I didn't have the macroalgae that I have now I would get a magnificent rabbitfish, but it would ear the pretty stuff first lol

Archived