SaltCritters.com

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CronicReefer

I don't think lithium is an algaecide, my Google fu isn't showing it, either, but I'm on my phone and am a bit limited.

I guess I should rephrase that and say it is a phosphate binder (most people use lanthanum carbonate I believe). But again I don't believe the lithium in the Tech-M is the direct cause of the bryopsis dying but seems to be a contributing factor in some regard.

jedimasterben

I guess I should rephrase that and say it is a phosphate binder (most people use lanthanum carbonate I believe). But again I don't believe the lithium in the Tech-M is the direct cause of the bryopsis dying but seems to be a contributing factor in some regard.

Lanthanum chloride, not carbonate. ;)

I'm taking out the big octopus rock today, getting the corals and macroalgae off of it, and then going to cement the new KPA rocks together. I will also remove the other rock formation and spray some 3% peroxide directly onto the tiny bits of bryopsis that are on it. I've dosed my tank for ANOTHER 800ppm magnesium using Kent Tech M and the peroxide has not responded at all. This bit of peroxide will be my last-ditch effort before getting another rabbitfish. :/

jedimasterben

25162494669_af8e97db45_b.jpg

24905047873_e46e6112f0_b.jpg

25505619836_8827eaa144_b.jpg

Making some water for a 30g change to get magnesium levels back down to normal.

Good luck with the peroxide. Do you think it will take multiple applications to keep it from growing back?

jedimasterben

Good luck with the peroxide. Do you think it will take multiple applications to keep it from growing back?

honestly, it would probably take more than one application of even 35% peroxide lol

jedimasterben

So I got peroxide happy and sprayed anything that remotely looked like bryopsis, and there was some attached to this bundle of macroalgae (which at the same time as coralline started growing this stuff seriously went from a few sprigs to the giant clump you see now), and all the orange is where the peroxide hit!

25542261285_ab3ed055ef_b.jpg

And here is the new formation. I literally forgot an entire piece of the new rock lol. It is VERY low and flat, so I will be raising it up to give flow underneath it (SO much detritus built up under the octopus rock, and it seriously only had like an 8"x4" base that touched the starboard in places) and to give it a bit more height, I'm also planning on angling it forward a bit.

25246993730_e5299f267a_b.jpg

I was happy when I came home (went to to my parents house for a bit and then we went to dinner, gone for like 4.5 hours or so) that the mortar had set on the rocks, I went to put the formation into the tank before we left and it hadn't quite set fully at that point, so of course one broke free and I had to reapply mortar to that joint, d'oh!

The neverending rock scaping ;) . I'm going to be in that boat with the new tank in a week or so.

Also, I still laugh when I see a pic with your Turkey baster in it...

jedimasterben

The neverending rock scaping ;) . I'm going to be in that boat with the new tank in a week or so.

Also, I still laugh when I see a pic with your Turkey baster in it...

Next one needs to also be in the shape of a turkey :lol:

turkey.jpg

I don't think lithium is an algaecide, my Google fu isn't showing it, either, but I'm on my phone and am a bit limited.

Well, if you told google to FU, maybe it doesn't want to help you ;)

jedimasterben

Well, if you told google to FU, maybe it doesn't want to help you ;)

:lol:

Well, I accidentally left my flush valve open on the RO system, so no wonder it took four hours to make three gallons of water lol. oops!

About to do a 30 gallon or so change, and will also take out a couple of gallons of water and replace with RO, as the tank is currently at 40ppt salinity thanks to half a gallon of Kent Tech M lol.

:lol:

Well, I accidentally left my flush valve open on the RO system, so no wonder it took four hours to make three gallons of water lol. oops!

About to do a 30 gallon or so change, and will also take out a couple of gallons of water and replace with RO, as the tank is currently at 40ppt salinity thanks to half a gallon of Kent Tech M lol.

Eeeek! Well at least your membrane is well flushed. Any sign of distress from the high salinity?

jedimasterben

Eeeek! Well at least your membrane is well flushed. Any sign of distress from the high salinity?

Nope, everything looks fine, relatively speaking. In a tank with leathers and gorgonians, I don't think there will ever be a day when everything looks good lol.

Finished the water change, and afterward I put the eductors back on the return to see how well the new, bigger DCT-12000 pump can do with them. At 50% power, it gives a lot more flow than the DC-6000 did at full power, and it can do quite a bit more, though when I turn it up to 60% it puts so much water in the display that the water level hits the top of the rim on the opposite side lol.

If/when I do something different, I think I'm going to use eductors/closed loop but will make sure my overflow is physically larger and uses 1.5" bulkheads in the tank so that there is no shortage of flow capacity through the overflow itself.

jedimasterben

I wanted to go ahead and flip that rock over so bad lol, but I resisted, figured the more time I give the epoxy to cure, the better, so tomorrow afternoon will be the earliest. I did realize that most of my nicest corals were upside down and had other corals piled on top of them from where I moved everything earlier, so I at least got everything upright and away from everything else.

So when I did the water change today, I siphoned every bit of detritus I could from the display, and there was a ton of it. Before I went to bed, I looked in and there was already a small pile built up lol

So I got peroxide happy and sprayed anything that remotely looked like bryopsis, and there was some attached to this bundle of macroalgae (which at the same time as coralline started growing this stuff seriously went from a few sprigs to the giant clump you see now), and all the orange is where the peroxide hit!

25542261285_ab3ed055ef_b.jpg

what kind of algae is this, Ben?

i%252520dunno.gif

It is Gracilaria curtissae

Thanks BB ( ;) )

I had thought it was Gracilaria Mammillaris but some photos didn't look exactly like it.

jedimasterben

Thanks BB ( ;) )

I had thought it was Gracilaria Mammillaris but some photos didn't look exactly like it.

that makes me think of mammaries :wub:

model.gif

Her butt, or lack-thereof, makes me a horribly sad panda

I really like your tank. Hey maybe an oxydator will help?! Where is albert?

jedimasterben

thou shalt not take the butt's name in vain.

:D

So I got the hybrid light wired up to the driver board. The blue (not royal blue) channel didn't work, turns out when I took three individual blues and put them on a 3up star, I didn't flow them properly. Of course, I also left my heat gun at work today, so I didn't think I'd be able to get to reflow them tonight, but I remembered I could put the soldering iron touching the bottom of the star for a minute or two and it would heat it enough to reflow, and it worked, and they light up now! Now I just have to wait the few hours or so until the thermal epoxy cures and it will be good to go!

I took some very basic PAR measurements. With the blue channel fixed, I get about 182 PAR at 24". Not too shabby. I would have power measurements but my Kill-a-Watt has run off :angry:

jedimasterben

So I won't be getting the last couple of pieces for the light til tomorrow.... but I couldn't resist ghetto fabbin it up! My literal wire hanging kit ;)

25507320732_fffa62a954_b.jpg

Not too shabby! I think this is at 50%.
24995717384_d63ef433df_b.jpg

Archived