Innovative Marine Aquariums

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

So in my sump, when I started the tank I had some extra rock I stuck in there, unlit. All the coralline and such does off, leaving just the sponges and feather duster worms. When I moved the nem in there, I out a Coral Compulsion PAR38 over it, and it very quickly got taken over with hair algae. The display is pretty algae free except for diatoms, so I don't really mind the algae down there, it's like an algae scrubber lol.

Well, today I got some more macros from antsypants and didn't want to put them in the display immediately in case the starry blenny is a wee bit hungry for the fancy stuff, so I went to put them in the sump. I took the rocks out, removed as much algae as I could, and then sprayed them with some straight peroxide, the algae all sizzling like mad. Then I noticed some oddly colored algae, neon green. Then another piece like a lily pad. These are Neomeris and Acetabularia, two Caribbean macros that would have been living on the rocks before I left it unlit for six months. I don't know how they survived, when I put the nem in there, the rock was 100% white except for the sponges. Just goes to show on that life will carry on somehow :)

Hopefully they'll survive the peroxide treatment, as they're both beautiful macros.

So in my sump, when I started the tank I had some extra rock I stuck in there, unlit. All the coralline and such does off, leaving just the sponges and feather duster worms. When I moved the nem in there, I out a Coral Compulsion PAR38 over it, and it very quickly got taken over with hair algae. The display is pretty algae free except for diatoms, so I don't really mind the algae down there, it's like an algae scrubber lol.

Well, today I got some more macros from antsypants and didn't want to put them in the display immediately in case the starry blenny is a wee bit hungry for the fancy stuff, so I went to put them in the sump. I took the rocks out, removed as much algae as I could, and then sprayed them with some straight peroxide, the algae all sizzling like mad. Then I noticed some oddly colored algae, neon green. Then another piece like a lily pad. These are Neomeris and Acetabularia, two Caribbean macros that would have been living on the rocks before I left it unlit for six months. I don't know how they survived, when I put the nem in there, the rock was 100% white except for the sponges. Just goes to show on that life will carry on somehow :)

Hopefully they'll survive the peroxide treatment, as they're both beautiful macros.

Send me some neomeris and the aceventura when they grow :)

jedimasterben

How're the macros looking? :)

And nice find, I'll need some pieces of the acetabularia once it grows out ;)

They looked good! I honestly doubt the acetabularia would have survived the peroxide dousing lol, but if it does, I'll keep you in mind :)

Send me some neomeris and the aceventura when they grow :)

Ace Ventura!

1t0zi.gif

They looked good! I honestly doubt the acetabularia would have survived the peroxide dousing lol, but if it does, I'll keep you in mind :)

Whoops, missed the part where you said you sprayed the rock down with peroxide :lol: I don't think it'll make it either but yeah, who knows! and thanks :)

jedimasterben

Whoops, missed the part where you said you sprayed the rock down with peroxide :lol: I don't think it'll make it either but yeah, who knows! and thanks :)

Hell, if it could survive through six months of darkness, maybe it will persist through this :)

jedimasterben

So the acro started STN some time this week while I had the flu. I cleaned the glass on Thursday for the first time in over a week, it was gross. My power went off early this week so I had the skimmer off to not overflow, and when I turned it back on the pump wouldn't start, I think it might be clogged up with more codium, bastard algae. Will take it apart at some point and see what happens.

I got the new LEDs on the light on Thursday. I bridged a connection on one of them, though, and while trying to fix it, the tip on my soldering iron literally broke in half and fell off, so I have a replacement coming at some point so I can get it completed. The XP-E2 blues look so much better, and the SemiLEDs 440nm royals are fantastic.

jedimasterben

Got a bunch of goodies today. Cerith, nassarius, and trochus snails, and a scarlet hermit from Reefcleaners, four liters of Seachem deNitrate, some airstones, and phosphateRX from Marine Depot, a new soldering iron tip, an inTank scraper, and a Flipper Nano. Also got a massive pile of GSP from ninjamyst! Going to mount it to the overflow.

The snails all arrived alive except one trochus. Got them in the tank after finally cleaning the glass. Unfortunately, the Flipper Nano doesn't work at all on 1/4" glass. Luckily I had forgotten I'd ordered the inTank scraper, and was able to get the tank looking great again. All the corals look good except a couple of sinularias, but let's be honest, with a tank full of leathers, there is zero chance that everything will be happy at any one point in time :D

I finally got around to changing the prefilters and Maxcap DI in my RODI setup. The Maxcap has been exhausted for a while now, and the prefilters were probably nearing the end of their life, so I got them all swapped out and flushed the RO membrane for around an hour after to make sure it was also good to go. I only use the DI for doing water changes, though, not topoff, so I realistically didn't even need to change the Maxcap, but it's best to have dual DI.

My starry blenny continues to be a ham. Really glad I got it, though I don't think I've seen it eat anything yet, so hopefully that will happen at some point. Doesn't look skinny at all.

I need to mount all the zoas and such I got from miketr, just gotta figure out wehre I want them to go since I have 24 tubes of super glue now :D

Got a bunch of goodies today. Cerith, nassarius, and trochus snails, and a scarlet hermit from Reefcleaners, four liters of Seachem deNitrate, some airstones, and phosphateRX from Marine Depot, a new soldering iron tip, an inTank scraper, and a Flipper Nano. Also got a massive pile of GSP from ninjamyst! Going to mount it to the overflow.

The snails all arrived alive except one trochus. Got them in the tank after finally cleaning the glass. Unfortunately, the Flipper Nano doesn't work at all on 1/4" glass. Luckily I had forgotten I'd ordered the inTank scraper, and was able to get the tank looking great again. All the corals look good except a couple of sinularias, but let's be honest, with a tank full of leathers, there is zero chance that everything will be happy at any one point in time :D

I finally got around to changing the prefilters and Maxcap DI in my RODI setup. The Maxcap has been exhausted for a while now, and the prefilters were probably nearing the end of their life, so I got them all swapped out and flushed the RO membrane for around an hour after to make sure it was also good to go. I only use the DI for doing water changes, though, not topoff, so I realistically didn't even need to change the Maxcap, but it's best to have dual DI.

My starry blenny continues to be a ham. Really glad I got it, though I don't think I've seen it eat anything yet, so hopefully that will happen at some point. Doesn't look skinny at all.

I need to mount all the zoas and such I got from miketr, just gotta figure out wehre I want them to go since I have 24 tubes of super glue now :D

Good reminder I need super glues!

What's good Benny?

jedimasterben

Good reminder I need super glues!

What's good Benny?

having super glue :D

all is well here. Ellie is getting a bath and is splashing around like a madwoman :lol:

A quick FTS from the phone. Very poor photo, sorry :D

26206495662_9c45a8b604_b.jpg

jedimasterben

Looks great man! I like all the leathers polyps!

Is any of the stuffs I gave you still around?

No, the stuff from you and from stella didn't make it through the holding tank :(

jedimasterben

My super duper high tech expensive top down coral viewer... aka a Pyrex petri dish :P

26273842886_5a409bd4a2_b.jpg

26299803195_46bcae9f75_b.jpg

26299817835_19ba3e9da4_b.jpg

No, the stuff from you and from stella didn't make it through the holding tank :(

No worries buddy, I'm sure I'll have something to send ya eventually ;)

LOL

It did at least last longer than my early predictions :D

Ah well, tank looks fine without any of the damn acros anyway.

jedimasterben

Ah well, tank looks fine without any of the damn acros anyway.

I did tell mike not to send it, but he insisted it was indestructible. I sure showed him :D

Hey the petri dish works half decent for top down pics, ha ha! Your tank is looking real nice!

Yeah, it's really reflective, though. Maybe one day I'll get a 'legit' one, but my actual waterproof camera does a decent job :D

I forgot that I dosed three drops of lanthanum chloride (Phosphate RX) last night. Each drop should reduce my tank's phosphate level by approximately 0.0166ppm, for a total drop of 0.0498ppm. I don't have a phosphate test kit, or really care to own one since they're really not all that precise, but I'm sure I have some, I assume somewhere in the 1.0-1.5ppm range. The good thing about dosing lanthanum is that when it runs out of phosphate to bind with, it doesn't just chill out and wait for more phosphate like GFO does, it will bind to carbonate instead, so phosphate will never truly 'run out' as long as I keep importing it via feeding.

I have no clue what the tank will look like or act like if the phosphate were lower, but it is a nice experiment to try that is inexpensive and very unlikely to do harm.

jedimasterben

Like the top downs What acro was that?

An Acropora lol. Trying to narrow it down to anything more than that is like trying to herd cats. :)

Archived