Innovative Marine Aquariums

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Got a pair of purple queen anthias (Pseudanthias tuka) today, for cheap. They're eating live brine at the store, and i'm moderately confident that with the availability of awesome foods like LRS they should get to eating frozen without much effort. They weren't emaciated, none had any obvious diseases or parasites, so took the chance with a pair of juveniles.

25863936244_f684fb9945_b.jpg

I also FINALLY got some proper plastic gutter guard to cover my overflow. I'm tired of losing fish to the skimmer lol, and fishing my damned starry blenny out of the sump!
26199403790_7d41a230b1_b.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a pair of purple queen anthias (Pseudanthias tuka) today, for cheap. They're eating live brine at the store, and i'm moderately confident that with the availability of awesome foods like LRS they should get to eating frozen without much effort. They weren't emaciated, none had any obvious diseases or parasites, so took the chance with a pair of juveniles.

25863936244_f684fb9945_b.jpg

I also FINALLY got some proper plastic gutter guard to cover my overflow. I'm tired of losing fish to the skimmer lol, and fishing my damned starry blenny out of the sump!

26199403790_7d41a230b1_b.jpg

Awww... no more fishy waterslide... :(

jedimasterben

Awww... no more fishy waterslide... :(

Well, it was more waterslide of death for the most part, so really it's for the best :D

jedimasterben

Didn't see either anthias at all today, but that I was kind of expecting. Hopefully they'll make a show tomorrow :)

Hey ben, Sorry if its been brought up but what did you put down on the bottom of the tank? I know it is barebottom (or was for a while) but you have some white "board" for lack of a better word? I am moving soon and i think im removing the sandbed but i like the white so i want to try what you did.

Thanks!

jedimasterben

Hey ben, Sorry if its been brought up but what did you put down on the bottom of the tank? I know it is barebottom (or was for a while) but you have some white "board" for lack of a better word? I am moving soon and i think im removing the sandbed but i like the white so i want to try what you did.

Thanks!

It is white HDPE starboard, basically a big cutting board :)
jedimasterben

How are the new anthias doing today? I have my fingers crossed for them - they are beautiful :wub:

No clue, I left for work four hours before the lights came on lol.
jedimasterben

Still no sign of the anthias, more than likely both are gone. Also, my skimmer started overflowing yesterday and I don't know why, but that just means that it dumped a bunch of lanthanum phosphate back into the tank :angry:

But my planted tank is at least filled up lol. That piece of friggin driftwood won't float this time, I drilled holes and ran zip ties through, then siliconed the zip ties to the bottom.

26488924446_5f133f18bc_b.jpg

I won't start scaping the tank until this afternoon, it was late when I got home and got everything finished and the fish caught and moved over.

sorry to hear about the anthias. still hoping they will come out.

My skimmer did the same thing yesterday! it just started to overflow like crazy in the middle of the day. Lucky I was working from home and heard the skimmer cup lid bouncing up and down. Turned the DC pump to 1 and opened up the air thingy.

jedimasterben

The anthias are gone? I dont believe it. They are spelunking in your rock work, that is all.

Still nowhere to be found, unfortunately. Yay, $30 gone.

damn skimmer overflowed again today...but still love it when it is not

:lol:

Mine is just now skimming well again. I'm going to start removing the sand in my 'fuge' today now that I have the crapload of deNitrate media in the sump. I need to find some way to keep it down, though, as some of it still wants to float, I don't want it to float up and get sucked into the skimmer pump.

Mine is just now skimming well again. I'm going to start removing the sand in my 'fuge' today now that I have the crapload of deNitrate media in the sump. I need to find some way to keep it down, though, as some of it still wants to float, I don't want it to float up and get sucked into the skimmer pump.

does your skimmer make a humming noise when on? mine is pretty loud. it's not the pump because when i disconnect the air silencer, i don't hear the humming sound.

I use Seachem Matrix Biomedia and some of it floats too. I started putting them in media bags to keep them together. I always wonder the difference between Matrix and deNitrate. Seems to do the same thing except for flow preference.

jedimasterben

does your skimmer make a humming noise when on? mine is pretty loud. it's not the pump because when i disconnect the air silencer, i don't hear the humming sound.

I use Seachem Matrix Biomedia and some of it floats too. I started putting them in media bags to keep them together. I always wonder the difference between Matrix and deNitrate. Seems to do the same thing except for flow preference.

Mine has a very slight hum from the air silencer, as well. You'd think the air silencer would actually, you know, do the one thing it was named after :lol:

I think the two are the same thing, just the deNitrate pellets are smaller.

jedimasterben

I didn't realize that Marine Depot price matched! I ordered two Tunze 6045 from DFS the other day since they were having a sale. They were backordered, but expected to ship today, but I checked and they've been pushed back to at least 5/3. Marine Depot had 3 left in stock, but were still $78 instead of $66, but then I saw the 'low price guarantee' and checked it out, and it does include matching sale prices as long as they're not clearance on EOL products. Aww yiss.

jedimasterben

The pumps should arrive on my birthday :happydance:

I put a Marineland MJ1200 in the tank in 'circulation' mode, which moves some serious friggin water, like 1300GPH, but the damned thing is so unstable that after about 24 hours it vibrates the propeller out of the pump, pushing the impeller cover along with it. I put it on very tightly, but it still pushes out every time.

I'm going this weekend to look for more guppies for the planted tank. I counted today, I have two females and five males, and I'm pretty sure I had one more female yesterday, so if I don't get some more females in there, the males are going to bone them to death.

jedimasterben

No. friggin. guppies. ANYWHERE. grrrr.

but I got a molly. been in the tank for a few hours now, still going strong, hopefully it survives the 'drop' acclimation to saltwater, aka drop it in the tank :D

26578475806_26f3fb9383_o.jpg

and my betta is all whuuuuuh

26578472886_78cc730b7a_o.jpg

jedimasterben

Well, the molly was still alive as of about an hour ago and swimming around fine, so looks like he'll make it! I've never seen one like him - giant ass sailfin, lyretail, and his anal fins are like an inch and a half long. I'm still on the lookout for a 'harlequin' sailfin molly as a girlfriend lol.

Pinner Reef

Well, the molly was still alive as of about an hour ago and swimming around fine, so looks like he'll make it! I've never seen one like him - giant ass sailfin, lyretail, and his anal fins are like an inch and a half long. I'm still on the lookout for a 'harlequin' sailfin molly as a girlfriend lol.

Any self respecting FW orientated LFS should be able to get both those and fancy female Guppies in stock within a week. Just make the request.

jedimasterben

Any self respecting FW orientated LFS should be able to get both those and fancy female Guppies in stock within a week. Just make the request.

The only LFS around here are reef focused, their FW tanks are for the most part in disarray and unlabeled, unlike the reef stuff lol. There was one pet store in town and I knew the owner very well, she would would order me anything I wanted, but unfortunately she had to close down.

Archived