SaltCritters.com

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

What's happening with the re-scape? Are you done, are you doing more? wut wut?

I was done with it (I love it), but when I was mounting corals last night I managed to break the epoxy bond attaching one of the supports. I don't think that it was really attached well, I didn't use any super glue on the sides of the epoxy to hold anything down, though super glue wouldn't do too much with rock this heavy.
jedimasterben

Upped my pledge on the Fishbit to upgrade to the System PLUS, which is the Controller PLUS and Monitor PLUS. Anyone in need of at least some controllable relays go pledge!

Oh, and here is the tank.

25538721832_6c75e4691e_b.jpg

jedimasterben

Love the new scape! Hope the Byropsis stays dead for you.

Me too! I peroxided the dicks out of any of it that was on the rock/corals lol, so hopefully that shit stays GONE. G A W N

I'm planning on shortening the loc line with the eductors, basically just need to make sure that they are able to get as low in the tank as they are now, as even 1/4" higher they pull air from the surface. To break the siphon and not drain half the tank when I turn the pump off I am drilling a small hole in the top of the loc line where it hits the bulkhead.

So I won't be getting the last couple of pieces for the light til tomorrow.... but I couldn't resist ghetto fabbin it up! My literal wire hanging kit ;)

25507320732_fffa62a954_b.jpg

Not too shabby! I think this is at 50%.

24995717384_d63ef433df_b.jpg

:lol: Ghetto fabbing. Love it.

Upped my pledge on the Fishbit to upgrade to the System PLUS, which is the Controller PLUS and Monitor PLUS. Anyone in need of at least some controllable relays go pledge!

25538721832_6c75e4691e_b.jpg

This looks great, Ben!

25538721832_6c75e4691e_b.jpg[/quoteThe tank is looking great Ben. I also wish you the best in your battle with the biropsis and hopefully its gone for good! I have a pilot hole in my locline as well so I don't drain too much of my tank. Just keep an eye on it and keep it clean from algae.

jedimasterben

:lol: Ghetto fabbing. Love it.

This looks great, Ben!

Thanks! Lots and lots of time went into getting that rock right and all the corals mounted. LOTS of determining where the corals would work best in regards to growth patterns, where flow would push them into other corals, etc. :)

The tank is looking great Ben. I also wish you the best in your battle with the biropsis and hopefully its gone for good! I have a pilot hole in my locline as well so I don't drain too much of my tank. Just keep an eye on it and keep it clean from algae.

I'm not too worried about it, the sump can actually handle water all the way down there, it just literally fills to the rim of it lol. When I redo this tank, it will be done with a normal return and a closed loop so I won't have to worry about it much :)

jedimasterben

Found my Kill-a-Watt to measure power consumption of the light.

All off
4.3w

NW only
33.8w

RB only
39.4w

C/L only
19.1w

B only
31.6w

V only
33.2w

Fan only
6.7w

All on
140w

T5 on
50.1w

Totals to 190 watts with everything at full power. Not sure how much PAR the T5 give (I'm using two Giesemann Super Actinic), but I'd imagine that it is not a lot, but the LEDs give 180 PAR at the bottom of the tank (24") at that power level, so if it hits 200 total that would be cool. I won't be running quite at full power, though, just will do probably 80% or so.

jedimasterben

Tried to get some decent pics, but I am out of practice already with an LED/T5 hybrid lol.

FTS 3/13/2016

25465251280_517794e329_o.jpg

25670849551_d71fe41fc8_o.jpg

25670847371_d47945dd57_o.jpg

25670845131_23e2d95368_o.jpg

25670842851_90f9f4231a_o.jpg

25739857456_b29d3d567f_o.jpg

Martha, you can see the lone wandering zoa on the right of this pic. Still no clue how it got there!

25135476454_52cf6c737b_o.jpg

My hawkwing conch doesn't like that he doesn't really fit lol

25670837771_ba26a44699_o.jpg

25739851866_362e0c53f1_o.jpg

Hermit hitching a ride one one of my other conchs.

25139323343_38c65e561d_o.jpg

Love this leather, but poor photo.

25135468114_768d2cbf13_o.jpg

This is the red plating sponge from LA.

25765907685_f592c46234_o.jpg

25139315943_90e5d28f2f_o.jpg

25644943762_612898b40f_o.jpg

25139310433_0cb2b77972_o.jpg

Still haven't seen any polyps from this leather from LA.

25739835916_8690eb06fc_o.jpg

Harold, here is a legit Fiji yellow leather ;)

25135454174_9ae8ba0d80_o.jpg

25670814461_09f14417a9_o.jpg

25139301283_b90576f1c5_o.jpg

Sinularia from ORA is looking more and more badass, glad to finally see some good extension and polyps from it! I think it just needed a LOT more light than I was giving it, I think I have it in around 220 PAR right now.

25135447934_98c6fd024a_o.jpg

25139296953_579f5522a6_o.jpg

Marc.The.Shark

How's the aggression on that Starki? Heard they were pretty docile for damselfish. Love the looks of them & always wanted one, but got turned off after my yellow tail was such a bastard!

jedimasterben

How's the aggression on that Starki? Heard they were pretty docile for damselfish. Love the looks of them & always wanted one, but got turned off after my yellow tail was such a bastard!

Really strange that you had a parasema go rogue like that, they're one of the most docile typically. Just goes to show that it gets down to the individual fish sometimes!

My starcki is fine. It definitely rules the other damsel and the chromis, but it doesn't go after anything else. Out of chrysiptera, though, starckis are one of the largest and typically are more aggressive because of it.

If you ever decide to clip a piece off that red sponge I'd buy it from you. Also I think I have that same finger leather that never shows any polyps. I've had mine almost a year. I think they are just really tiny.

jedimasterben

If you ever decide to clip a piece off that red sponge I'd buy it from you. Also I think I have that same finger leather that never shows any polyps. I've had mine almost a year. I think they are just really tiny.

I can give it a shot with shipping priority mail. Otherwise it would be way more to ship than it is worth lol. The photo probably makes it look big, right now it is only like three inches across. If at some point you order from LiveAquaria, they seem to always have them, must be culturing them pretty intensively! We can see how much it grows in a month though and I'll let you know :)

For the leather, it is super bumpy, I can see where the polyps want so bad to come out, they just aren't :lol:

I can give it a shot with shipping priority mail. Otherwise it would be way more to ship than it is worth lol. The photo probably makes it look big, right now it is only like three inches across. If at some point you order from LiveAquaria, they seem to always have them, must be culturing them pretty intensively! We can see how much it grows in a month though and I'll let you know :)

For the leather, it is super bumpy, I can see where the polyps want so bad to come out, they just aren't :lol:

Mine looks like coarse sandpaper all the time. I've never ordered from LA but maybe I'll look into it.
jedimasterben

Mine looks like coarse sandpaper all the time. I've never ordered from LA but maybe I'll look into it.

I highly recommend it, especially with their lowered shipping minimums for free shipping. They also have 15% coupons all the time, and they calculate free shipping on the price before the discount, so it's an even better deal. Their fish are typically healthy, and corals almost always look great. Divers Den is WYSIWYG and has all kinds of cool stuff constantly.

If its anything like the blue plating sponge that I have, it can definitely go priority mail. I sent a piece to PolarCollision a while back and USPS lost it. It ended up being in the box for like 4 or 5 days and it is alive and kicking in her tank now :) I just mailed it in one of those little urine specimen cups and a heatpack.

I am wondering if anyone really has luck with getting polyp extension on those finger leathers. I have been wanting one, but then Vivid's WYSIWYG photos all showed them with no polyps. Then my local store actually had like 3 or 4 of them in when I went on Friday and got the colt coral and all of them had no polyps either. I wanted to buy one, but wasn't sure if that meant they weren't healthy. I also don't really want one if its not ever going to have PE. Wonder why they do that.

jedimasterben

If its anything like the blue plating sponge that I have, it can definitely go priority mail. I sent a piece to PolarCollision a while back and USPS lost it. It ended up being in the box for like 4 or 5 days and it is alive and kicking in her tank now :) I just mailed it in one of those little urine specimen cups and a heatpack.

I am wondering if anyone really has luck with getting polyp extension on those finger leathers. I have been wanting one, but then Vivid's WYSIWYG photos all showed them with no polyps. Then my local store actually had like 3 or 4 of them in when I went on Friday and got the colt coral and all of them had no polyps either. I wanted to buy one, but wasn't sure if that meant they weren't healthy. I also don't really want one if its not ever going to have PE. Wonder why they do that.

They might be the same genus. This one had some recession when I got it, but I don't know if it was due to shipping or not. Seems to be growing at nearly the same rate as the purple sponge I have, though.

I think that the leathers can hear our thoughts. We are always thinking that they should be open, and they're all

giphy.gif

I think in retail setups, etc, stuff gets moved or touched too much for them to open and stay open. The green sinularia above NEVER showed any polyps until I attached it to the rock and didn't touch it.

Love the scape! This tank really cleared up! I'm assuming the lighting on the last FTS has T5s and the previous one didn't?

Yes, the cell FTS from the other day was just the LEDs. The two T5 don't really do anything, though, lol, they're Giesemann Super Actinic and the 'reflector' in the fixture is complete garbage.

Archived