Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

The step up to the T6i/s didn't make sense for the features, same with the T5i, as the Sl1 has the newer focusing mechanism than the T5i, which basically is the same as my T2i. The SL1 has a RAW frame buffer of eight images, my T2i can do six, same with the T5i and T6i, and I would LOVE eight. The camera being smaller and lighter is also a plus, my hands get shaky pretty quickly. I also still don't have the cash for a full frame sensor, and don't know about spending a grand on a used 6D that is already several years old.

The battery life of the SL1 sucks giant donkey balls, but third party batteries for it are higher capacity and cheap, so it's not too much of a downside. :)

Thanks for the explanation. I have the T2i as well, and every year or so look at the options. I have all my glass from canon, and not looking to switch to Nikon or anything either. I was looking at the 80D coming out later this year, but I don't think i'll upgrade until 4K video is standard (probably not for a long time w/ Canon)

When you use the SL-1 let us know your thoughts. I have smaller hands anyways, so a smaller camera might be a good upgrade until I can have all my wants met with a new camera.

What can I say? I love new stuff!!!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Thanks for the explanation. I have the T2i as well, and every year or so look at the options. I have all my glass from canon, and not looking to switch to Nikon or anything either. I was looking at the 80D coming out later this year, but I don't think i'll upgrade until 4K video is standard (probably not for a long time w/ Canon)

When you use the SL-1 let us know your thoughts. I have smaller hands anyways, so a smaller camera might be a good upgrade until I can have all my wants met with a new camera.

What can I say? I love new stuff!!!

To be honest, it will be a very long time before a Canon consumer camera will have the option for 4K video. They're all still limited to 1080p/30 or 720p/60. Even the 7D Mark II, which is a "prosumer" more video focused model, is limited to 1080p/60. With the current market prices, I figured now was the time to move up a few models before the T2i loses any more value, the whole upgrade will cost me right around $100 or so after shipping, eBay fees, etc. Then, whenever there is a model in a few years that has more features (once Canon's new 24.2MP sensor hits it's stride and comes down in price) there will be reason to upgrade, but I don't think we will see 4K video in these models for at least another 3-5 years.

I should hopefully be getting it tomorrow, so I will play with it over the weekend a bit and let you know :)

Okay I tried it. it does not give a jpg link. It adds "https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ufbgs3apwfaxja/IMG_2715.jpg?dl=0"at the end of each link.

How are you posting?

When I select copy public link this is what I get.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/155892/ati/IMG_20151125_180350.jpg

Also you have to make sure that the main folder the pictures are in is tagged as public. On the web interface it will have a globe in the folder. All the pictures I share are within folders inside a main folder called Public which is tagged.

public%20folder.PNG

When I select copy public link this is what I get.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/155892/ati/IMG_20151125_180350.jpg

Also you have to make sure that the main folder the pictures are in is tagged as public. On the web interface it will have a globe in the folder. All the pictures I share are within folders inside a main folder called Public which is tagged.

public%20folder.PNG

Do you have the free or premium version of drop box?

jedimasterben

Got the new camera! It's so light! The battery was almost dead, so I'm having to charge it. It seems to do metering on the fly without even pressing the shutter button, which may be why the battery life is so poor. I only stopped at home to grab the new camera and my bag, but peeked in at the tank and fed the fish...

AND THE NEM HAS A MOUTH AGAIN!!

jedimasterben

Just playing around with the camera. When shooting highest quality JPEGs, there is no buffer limit, and shooting RAW, I get eight photos at full speed and then the tiniest of delays for a ninth shot, then one ever half a second or so after that if I hold it down continuous. The quality is better than my T2i, but not by a large margin. It is SO small and light, will take some getting used to. The shutter also sounds different, but may be because it is brand new. It does seem to focus faster and much easier with the STM lenses, so they're definitely a good combination.

And yes, in this photo in the top left of the tank that IS a giant pile of salt creep. I have no clue where it is coming from, I clean it up and it reappears within 48 hours. The tank isn't leaking, and the water level is half an inch from touching the tank frame, so I have no clue where it is coming from.

24657932174_8acd9c05d2_o.jpg

KISSES FOR LINCOLN

25288541965_8bdf30830a_o.jpg

The nem! I can't even express how happy I am that it is recovering!

25195441991_d8ff2da440_o.jpg

LOOK AT DAT DUCK FACE

24920905129_aa98d26a0a_o.jpg

jedimasterben

Are you going to leave the nem in the sump or going to get it back into the DT?

The clownfish would kill it, it is not nearly large enough now to house them, so it will stay in the sump.

So every review of this camera has mentioned the exceedingly poor battery life, only getting between 150 and 200 photos before the camera says to swap the battery. I took a bunch of photos yesterday, then charged the battery, too about 60 more, and then today I figured I'd see how many I could get before the battery went down. I took a 1 minute 1080p/30 video and I am up to around 600 photos for today and the battery indicator has not changed. I guess I don't need the extra third party batteries after all.

jedimasterben

Up to over 1400 photos, indicator hasn't changed. Did everyone writing the reviews of this camera use the flash for every shot or something?? I am just taking photos of the room and outside, so the focus motor is going nonstop out and in.

Just some of my gerberas and my bougainvillea :)

25300379916_28e3fd8989_o.jpg

25300375376_8886986de6_o.jpg

25326599795_ba365e63eb_o.jpg

25326595915_e2a11278ce_o.jpg

Jealous that you have flowers already. We still have snow. Though it is supposed to get up to 55 today so tomorrow it will all be mud.
jedimasterben

Congrats on the new camera, I'm glad it's working so well!

Now we need more pics of the tank.

Please :flower:

Yeah, probably not gonna happen until after I get the new rock from KPA and get it in place. It's a big jumbled mess right now :P

Jealous that you have flowers already. We still have snow. Though it is supposed to get up to 55 today so tomorrow it will all be mud.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I've never stopped having these things bloom lol. They bloom less than they did a year ago because I don't really water them like I need to, but I'm finding myself slightly more motivated with life in general lately, so maybe that will change :)

jedimasterben

:)

24762326203_da9211f10c_b.jpg

Rock from KPA was collected last night, shipping tomorrow, and will arrive here on Wednesday.

jedimasterben

Rock arrived.

24825562643_e1042fc725_b.jpg

25333840202_7f022ec62e_b.jpg

25426078776_1b2d97b5ae_b.jpg

25359284421_ac09e7366c_b.jpg

25359245051_6a935bc715_b.jpg

25084587789_e0119b868c_b.jpg

I don't know how quickly Tech M is supposed to work on bryopsis, but I've dosed my tank for around 800ppm magnesium so far and the bryopsis has only increased in mass.

CronicReefer

I don't know how quickly Tech M is supposed to work on bryopsis, but I've dosed my tank for around 800ppm magnesium so far and the bryopsis has only increased in mass.

I've read its the lithium chloride in Tech-M that is the cause of bryopsis death. So far it is mostly anecdotal evidence but there has been research done to suggest lithium salts can combat algae (I know people use lithium chloride in pools to kill algae).

jedimasterben

I've read its the lithium chloride in Tech-M that is the cause of bryopsis death. So far it is mostly anecdotal evidence but there has been research done to suggest lithium salts can combat algae (I know people use lithium chloride in pools to kill algae).

You sure it is lithium chloride? Prodcuts with lanthanum chloride are sold to bind phosphate in pools, I've not heard of lithium chloride for that.

Also, many reefers in the US have high lithium levels without having used Tech M, and have also had bryopsis, so that muddies the water a bit on it being lithium.

Also, many reefers in the US have high lithium levels without having used Tech M, and have also had bryopsis, so that muddies the water a bit on it being lithium.

But that could also be a reason that we have strains of bryopsis that are resistant. Like yours.

jedimasterben

But that could also be a reason that we have strains of bryopsis that are resistant. Like yours.

I don't think lithium is an algaecide, my Google fu isn't showing it, either, but I'm on my phone and am a bit limited.

Archived