ReefCleaners.org

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

See that's really strange, the RW series shouldn't have that issue like the WP series did. When I had a pair of Tunze 6095 I had to clean them about once a week to get all the gunk off of them and they slowed down quite a bit.

Interesting, that's why I only have one so far. Once cleaned the RW15 at full blast in my 150 starts blowing sand around, I run it in constant mode at power 2 for the first week or so, then the power starts to drop.

The fact is I just cleaned them for the very first time in the year they've been in there so I don't really know how long it took them to lose power. I will keep better track this time. Before cleaning I was running at full power. The Tunze has to be better than the older WP25 though. I Hope.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Interesting, that's why I only have one so far. Once cleaned the RW15 at full blast in my 150 starts blowing sand around, I run it in constant mode at power 2 for the first week or so, then the power starts to drop.

The fact is I just cleaned them for the very first time in the year they've been in there so I don't really know how long it took them to lose power. I will keep better track this time. Before cleaning I was running at full power. The Tunze has to be better than the older WP25 though. I Hope.

If anything the power supplies and motors are at least better :)

So on Wednesday afternoon I decided to do a lights out for a day or two and see what the anemone does, since I have been gathering equipment and supplies to treat it if I need to for bacterial infection. Yesterday evening when I got home I looked in the tank and the nem looked absolutely terrible, so I turned the lights back on. I also remeasured PAR just to make sure it was getting enough and realized that peak during the day it is getting about 150 PAR, which realistically is not sustainable for one of these nems. I aimed one of my Coral Compulsion PAR38 at it and put it on a timer to run for 8 hours a day in the middle of my photoperiod, doubling the PAR, so hopefully that helps it out. I wonder if all along the issue has been too little light. That is another reason I would like to do something like this:

2016-02-04.png

It would be a pair of 18" cube tanks. One dedicated to Heteractis anemones, the other with corals and stuff in it. Most of the corals I have are extremely light tolerant to a very high degree (leathers usually top out around 400 PAR, and gorgonians significantly more than that), but I could REALLY pump it to the nems and give them in the 500-700 range without worrying about any other corals being damaged by it in the long run. It's still in the planning phase, as I'm not too sure how my wife would respond to it after just having set up the 40 lol, but we'll see if that becomes a reality at some point :)

jedimasterben

Love it. Do it. Now.

I wish I could, but it's a big undertaking and expense lol. $275 for the tanks and mats, I'm estimating around $200 for the materials for the stand, then another $200 for the overflows, probably another $50-75 for plumbing. Then we come to lighting, I already have all the LEDs I would need, so it comes down to probably somewhere in the $200 range for the new heatsinks, goosenecks, fans, etc. Looking at roughly $1K when all is said and done. I only have a couple of things I'd be able to sell that I wouldn't be keeping to fund the new tank, and I don't imagine that I could really get that much for the 40 and stand as they are since I messed up on the stand pretty hard. The 40 with the overflow and the stand I'd probably get like $150 for, the Marsaqua light maybe $60, and the Asis hybrid heatsink I can at least send back to dave and get money back from that, which would cover the cost of the new heatsinks about. So all in all I'd be able to net at most $400 for this stuff, so the upgrade is only about $600 and loads of time. :P

I wish I could, but it's a big undertaking and expense lol. $275 for the tanks and mats, I'm estimating around $200 for the materials for the stand, then another $200 for the overflows, probably another $50-75 for plumbing. Then we come to lighting, I already have all the LEDs I would need, so it comes down to probably somewhere in the $200 range for the new heatsinks, goosenecks, fans, etc. Looking at roughly $1K when all is said and done. I only have a couple of things I'd be able to sell that I wouldn't be keeping to fund the new tank, and I don't imagine that I could really get that much for the 40 and stand as they are since I messed up on the stand pretty hard. The 40 with the overflow and the stand I'd probably get like $150 for, the Marsaqua light maybe $60, and the Asis hybrid heatsink I can at least send back to dave and get money back from that, which would cover the cost of the new heatsinks about. So all in all I'd be able to net at most $400 for this stuff, so the upgrade is only about $600 and loads of time. :P

I hear that, man.

jedimasterben

I hear that, man.

It would be epic, but it's the kind of thing that needs to be done 'all at once' and is difficult to really do so, otherwise I would have pulled the trigger already :P

Yea, Jaebo is about to get smacked, the design is unique and an injunction should be fairly easy to obtain.

I bought a new Tunze for my 40 since I hate cleaning anything, waiting to see how much better it performs than the WP25 it replaced. So far pretty damn good. My last big equipment purchase for the 150 may be Tunze pumps to replace the RW15's. If the RW15's would just maintain power for longer than a month they would be perfect.

I am running a RW4 and oddly it will just stop working randomly. I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it working again. It worked great for about 2 months.

I am running a RW4 and oddly it will just stop working randomly. I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it working again. It worked great for about 2 months.

Not great value for your money! I did consider buying a new RW4, glad I went with a used MP10!

Not great value for your money! I did consider buying a new RW4, glad I went with a used MP10!

I had used it when I was waiting for a new wetside for my MP40. It moved water for sure so I actually put it on the other side of the tank and ran it with the MP40. But yeah. I'm definitely a fan of the ecotech pumps.

Oh no! I remember thinking that had happened to me at one point, but it turns out I'd just stupidly changed the mode on it. Whoops.

Oh no! I remember thinking that had happened to me at one point, but it turns out I'd just stupidly changed the mode on it. Whoops.

Exactly what I thought I did as well. Or kept thinking I was doing then realized it wasn't me changing the mode.

jedimasterben

Realized I don't think I have cleaned the glass in over a week, it was gross :wacko:

Tank water is still pretty yellow even though the UV is off during my Kent Tech M treatment, all carbon and purigen are out, only the skimmer is on. Want to leave as much of the good stuff in the tank as possible.

Got a new lens today. Canon EF-S 24mm f2.8. I like it, nice and sharp and has a decently wide shot.

I also filled up the little 5g holding tank for the magnifica nem, it didn't inflate anymore today with the doubling of light, so I am thinking I will grab it tomorrow and stick it in QT. Leave it for a day, see how it looks, if it doesn't improve, will do a night treatment of ciprofloxacin and observe.

jedimasterben

Ok, nem is in QT. It was firmly attached to the rock, but came up relatively easily (much easier than maxi minis do), and it still had a bit of sting left in it - nothing like it used to be, before, I would not have been able to do that bare handed!

jedimasterben

Good luck with the nem. The Magnificas are beautiful. :)

Thanks, I really hope it goes through QT with ease. This nem was bulletproof in the 80 - a massive potassium chloride dose didn't even phase it, it shrunk only a little when my oxydator was dumping 35% peroxide into the tank, through all my lighting and flow and aquascape shenanigans it never even flinched. I hope it goes back to all its glory. I went ahead and jumped the gun a bit and dosed 125mg of cipro. I know I should have probably waited to treat, but it was already attached to the new tank and reinflated however slightly it had deflated when I touched it. I am going to have to make some more water, the recommendation is to do a 100% water change daily, but I don't think that is necessary unless you don't keep an eye on ammonia, but I have an ammonia badge so I will know when to dose some Aquavitro Alpha to nip it in the bud.
jedimasterben

You've been busy. So are you putting anti biotics with the nem?

Yep. Nem looks about the same as of this morning, but the lights arent on yet.

jedimasterben

How long is the treatment? At what point do you figure it worked or it did not?

Seven days (actually, treatment can only be done at night, so seven nights :P) or at least three days after the nem looks normal. I have enough cipro for 60 days of treatment, so I would be able to do this for many nems to come :)

jedimasterben

The nem looks super bad right now. No attachment to the glass, no tentacle expansion, and it was spewing tons of zoox. Clean water, lots of light, lots of flow, everything the nem could ever ask for, and still going downhill :(

jedimasterben

Maybe I spoke too soon. I just put the nem into the sump. Before I could even get the PAR38 moved over from the QT tank it has already attached :wacko:

And I guess in other good news, coralline algae lives in my tank. This guy's shell used to be spotless. :blink:

IMG_20160207_185122554.jpg

Nice pictures. Sorry about the lemon coral detaching. I bought one awhile ago and the same thing happened. I really hate how tiny the frag was too, mine was like half the size of yours.

jedimasterben

Came home today and Gandalf the White betta had died. Had cat tooth-like punctures in him, wonder how he got those. :rolleyes: RIP little buddy, you're eating blue shrimp today in fishie heaven (or shrimp hell lol).

Was going out of town today and needed to get some stuff at Petco. Whoops.

IMG_5660.jpg

IMG_5683.jpg

IMG_5706.jpg

Archived