ReefCleaners.org

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

Because I don't have anything that preys on conchs :)

I actually have three in the tank, the Strombus gibberulus that is pictured, a Strombus alatus, and a Lobatus raninus.

And thanks! I took a few more of the other fish, but they were in full-on freak mode because I had just cleaned the glass :lol:

Cool. Do you have to supplement their diet? Or do they get enough from grazing?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Nice pics and setup! I really like the clowns and hope that bryopsis goes away. However you spell it. :lol:

Thanks! It should start to go away in a few weeks. The 'typical' treatment is to scrape/pull as much out as physically possible before treatment, then what's left should start to keel over in a few weeks' time if you have a species of bryopsis that is 'receptive' to the treatment lol, but I kinda want to leave everything how it is and then see what happens after I get enough of the solution into the water. :)

Great pics! Is that one of those Legendary Corals mushrooms in the last pic?

Thanks john! No, it is a pair of R. yuma from Coral Gardens Aquaculture.

Cool. Do you have to supplement their diet? Or do they get enough from grazing?

I haven't been. They only eat film and semi-complex filamentous algaes, so they are always snooting along the starboard and all of the rocks are completely algae free up as far as they can extend their mouth :lol:

You still have this guy?!

IMG_5333.jpg

Yes indeed. I believe there is a third polyp starting on it. All of my P. grandis have been excruciatingly slow growers. though I do have one polyp, I think it is a 'button' style, that came on the snake polyp rock that was turd brown and within a few days of increasing the blue light on this fixture is showing some green.

:wub:

Also - you might consider pulling the bryopsis. turn off flow and yank, comes off very easy and in tufts, but be sure to have a good grip on it. When the fronds are not bushes I have found inverts will graze on it. Big bushy bryopsis doesn't appeal to them, might have something to do with new growth. If the fronds get too long nothing touches it.

jedimasterben

:wub:

Also - you might consider pulling the bryopsis. turn off flow and yank, comes off very easy and in tufts, but be sure to have a good grip on it. When the fronds are not bushes I have found inverts will graze on it. Big bushy bryopsis doesn't appeal to them, might have something to do with new growth. If the fronds get too long nothing touches it.

I know, I was actually going to, but decided to see what happens during the treatment if it stays long :)

Ah, I feel bad for the guppies! I guess its no different than me putting ghost shrimp in the seahorse tank. My seahorses need to eat and so does your marine betta.

jedimasterben

Ah, I feel bad for the guppies! I guess its no different than me putting ghost shrimp in the seahorse tank. My seahorses need to eat and so does your marine betta.

Actually, I'd say the betta only caught two or three of them. The clowns each got one or two, the black and white chromis and starcki damsel were chasing all of them (but I don't think they actually got any), but the tiny little pygmy hawk was a MONSTER. I couldn't get it on camera, but I saw it catch four of them, and it may have gotten more. that thing is lightning fast!

Just got half a gallon of Kent Tech M in, bryopsis be damned!! Added 300mL of solution today, which should raise the tank (roughly 50 gallons total volume) by 108ppm, so will continue to do that for a week or so and then let it ride and see where that gets me.

FTS 1/25/16

IMG_5298.jpg

Beautiful looking tank! I like that this is bare bottom, too! Very nice!!

jedimasterben

Beautiful looking tank! I like that this is bare bottom, too! Very nice!!

thanks! It's pretty 'meh' right now as I have not had tons of time to put into it. I'm also having a problem with my big anemone that isn't so big anymore, I have lots of corals that I need to find spots for and get them off the bottom, etc. :)

Fun to see the marine betta eat! I didn't know clownfish would eat guppies. I always only think of feeding live fish to predators, but I guess most fish will eat small enough live food.

jedimasterben

Fun to see the marine betta eat! I didn't know clownfish would eat guppies. I always only think of feeding live fish to predators, but I guess most fish will eat small enough live food.

Yep, for the most part, any fish will eat anything they can fit in their mouths, or at least try to :D

That marine betta is awesome. Makes me want to get one. How well do they get along with kole tangs?

I can't see why they'd not get along, they're very different shaped and colored :)

Yep, for the most part, any fish will eat anything they can fit in their mouths, or at least try to :D

I can't see why they'd not get along, they're very different shaped and colored :)

Yeah my only concern is I only have one big cave within my rocks and the kole uses it as his home. Worried there might be fighting if the betta tries to take it.

jedimasterben

Yeah my only concern is I only have one big cave within my rocks and the kole uses it as his home. Worried there might be fighting if the betta tries to take it.

I don't really have any caves, once they're acclimated to the tank, they stay in the open for the most part, and will follow you and watch you. Mine likes to hang out under a small overhang and watch me while I sit at my computer chair.

I don't really have any caves, once they're acclimated to the tank, they stay in the open for the most part, and will follow you and watch you. Mine likes to hang out under a small overhang and watch me while I sit at my computer chair.

Star. That's the name of the Betta.

just before Coralvue strikes lol

Yea, Jaebo is about to get smacked, the design is unique and an injunction should be fairly easy to obtain.

I bought a new Tunze for my 40 since I hate cleaning anything, waiting to see how much better it performs than the WP25 it replaced. So far pretty damn good. My last big equipment purchase for the 150 may be Tunze pumps to replace the RW15's. If the RW15's would just maintain power for longer than a month they would be perfect.

jedimasterben

Yea, Jaebo is about to get smacked, the design is unique and an injunction should be fairly easy to obtain.

I bought a new Tunze for my 40 since I hate cleaning anything, waiting to see how much better it performs than the WP25 it replaced. So far pretty damn good. My last big equipment purchase for the 150 may be Tunze pumps to replace the RW15's. If the RW15's would just maintain power for longer than a month they would be perfect.

See that's really strange, the RW series shouldn't have that issue like the WP series did. When I had a pair of Tunze 6095 I had to clean them about once a week to get all the gunk off of them and they slowed down quite a bit.

Archived