Top Shelf Aquatics

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Baskets don't live very long in the home aquarium though. /Debbie Downer

How long is 'very long'? They're pretty simple animals that are easy to feed since they pick a high-up area to live in, easy to drop some food right to them.

What I would really love is a feather star. I've longed for one ever since I started in the hobby. One day I'll have an appropriate setup for one, automatic feeder and all, but I'm not sure how to keep them away from power heads, seems like their arms would get sucked in if they got too close.

How long is 'very long'? They're pretty simple animals that are easy to feed since they pick a high-up area to live in, easy to drop some food right to them.

What I would really love is a feather star. I've longed for one ever since I started in the hobby. One day I'll have an appropriate setup for one, automatic feeder and all, but I'm not sure how to keep them away from power heads, seems like their arms would get sucked in if they got too close.

You really have to target feed them a metric crapload of filter feeder foods nightly for either one to do well.Which is a PITA cause they usually are only out feeding at night. LFS kept trying them and we had a feather going for a year before we got lazy and it started falling apart. Really hard to watch that. I'd say leave em in the ocean.

jedimasterben

You really have to target feed them a metric crapload of filter feeder foods nightly for either one to do well.Which is a PITA cause they usually are only out feeding at night. LFS kept trying them and we had a feather going for a year before we got lazy and it started falling apart. Really hard to watch that. I'd say leave em in the ocean.

Oh, I know that they're extremely difficult to figure out a proper sized food and getting the right amount to them without also polluting the tank enough to stress them out. Definitely not going to be getting one unless I have the proper setup.

Less than a year

jedimasterben

Is this a blend you make? if so, you mind sharing what's in it?

A couple of littleneck clams, mussels, oysters, three table shrimp, and three chunks of scallops. Put in a blender and just pulse it, making sure to leave some chunks. There is a bit more to it than that, take a look at the previous to last page of mwhitelock's tank thread, I detailed it there.

I would have added PE mysis and calanus to the mix, but the LFS didn't have any that is fresh. Their freezer sucks, and frozen food very quickly spoils.

Eddie kept his alive for 10 months before he accidently shipped it and killed it. But for 7.50 I will give it a shot!

A couple of littleneck clams, mussels, oysters, three table shrimp, and three chunks of scallops. Put in a blender and just pulse it, making sure to leave some chunks. There is a bit more to it than that, take a look at the previous to last page of mwhitelock's tank thread, I detailed it there.

I would have added PE mysis and calanus to the mix, but the LFS didn't have any that is fresh. Their freezer sucks, and frozen food very quickly spoils.

Sounds like my recipe....

Great minds. :D

Jedi look! Camera shit! ND filters for my drone to shoot in bright(er) conditions without the colors getting all washed out.

You're the only camera dude I know here on NR... So how do I know which to use?! Just darker if sunnier? (The drone comes stock with clear UV)

81287CFB-6115-426E-97E5-04F349A32B52_zps

jedimasterben

Jedi look! Camera shit! ND filters for my drone to shoot in bright(er) conditions without the colors getting all washed out

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/367815-fsft-like-new-black-hydra-26-w-director/#entry5199985Jedi look! Camera shit! ND filters for my drone to shoot in bright(er) conditions without the colors getting all washed out.

You're the only camera dude I know here on NR... So how do I know which to use?! Just darker if sunnier? (The drone comes stock with clear UV)81287CFB-6115-426E-97E5-04F349A32B52_zps

What kind of camera does the thing have?
jedimasterben

The only problem with the circular polarizer is that you have to physically turn it to get the effect you need for right then, so that would be one that I don't imagine you getting a lot of use out of. The ND are best for full sun, but I would first run your shutter speed up as high as possible and lower the ISO before using the ND, as these will give you the best image quality :)

jedimasterben

Well, I was going to get some pics with the DSLR yesterday but when I got home I realized the stickiness is due to another dinos bloom. Meh. Going to try and control it with peroxide this time. I'll probably kill the hitchhiker goniopora, but my big magnifica nem doesn't seem to care about peroxide at all anymore, so that's a plus :)

I just don't have the space for the massive UV sterilizer in this stand. I would need to change the entire return plumbing out, which I guess wouldn't be horrific since I want to put in the Jebao DC-12000 pump to see if I can get rid of the resonant hum from the 6000. If I needed to change the lamp, as well, I would have to dismantle the entire return, remove everything from the stand, pull the whole sterilizer out, then do everything in reverse, since the stand only has like 3" of space longer than the sterilizer. :o

jedimasterben

Eh, f it, went ahead and ordered a new Philips TUV PL-L 55W/4P. It is a low-pressure 253nm UV lamp with 17 watts of UV output, which is NUTS for only use 55 watts of power.

927908704007_EU-LS2-en_AA-001.jpg

Some sand confuses me. Should be lotsa sand or no sand. This half business is not my thing.

I'm thinking he likes the look of sand but doesn't want dinos to gain another stronghold?

jedimasterben

I'm thinking he likes the look of sand but doesn't want dinos to gain another stronghold?

ding ding ding!

still not sure where she got 'some sand' though. These pictures show almost all of it out lol

Archived