Pod Your Reef

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

If anyone wants to listen or call in to the podcast with Dave Fason tonight at 9 EST, the number is 773-897-6161. You can use Skype or Google Voice/Hangouts if you don't want to use your phone to do it and play it on your computer. I'll be the weird guy screening the calls looking for Kate Upton. :P

Looking much better! Those urchins are workhorses! I had that nasty hair algae outbreak all over my rock after the last tank crash and the tuxedo urchin I bought really helped clean it all up. I finally had to trade him back to the store for store credit because he ate all the algae too fast and then didn't have any left so he would have starved.

jedimasterben

Looking much better! Those urchins are workhorses! I had that nasty hair algae outbreak all over my rock after the last tank crash and the tuxedo urchin I bought really helped clean it all up. I finally had to trade him back to the store for store credit because he ate all the algae too fast and then didn't have any left so he would have starved.

Yeah, after scrubbing the rightmost rock, there is almost no algae left for him, just small tufts here and there (and after being out of town all day, he just finished cleaning one of them!) so probably next week he'll need to go back. I'm also going to trade in the big rock of snake polyps. I have a small frag with two of them and a small rock with about a dozen of them, so the big rock with 60+ (some of which are 6" long!) just doesn't fit into the scape very well. Anyone want it?

They are much more green now (they get dark green with fluorescent green spots when in ~200 PAR or higher).

IMG_2283.jpg

You can see the type of green in this pic, as the urchin is holding a pair of them :lol:

20150926_164150.jpg

Also, I got a nice piece of Cespitularia from Petco today. Comes from LiveAquaria as CCGC!

20151003_213756.jpg

jedimasterben

Got some macros today from _divad! All came in looking great, and he even threw in a small sprig of botryocladia!

Botryocladia uvaria

20151008_211943.jpg

Cymopolia barbata

20151008_211953.jpg

Hypnea pannosa (among all the hair algae lol)

20151008_211958.jpg

Halimeda opuntia

20151008_212003.jpg

Caulerpa cupressoides

20151008_212009.jpg

Codium intricatum

20151008_212023.jpg

jedimasterben

Nice macros! Have you identified the algae growing from your rocks? I have that same annoying algae :wacko:.

No, just a misc hair algae. It seems to be slowly receding beyond what the urchin is eating.

No, just a misc hair algae. It seems to be slowly receding beyond what the urchin is eating.

That's what I figured. It isn't anything too bad because my female clownfish will eat any loose strands floating around. She also eats tiny bubble algae omgomgomg. She's awesome!

I will probably get an urchin once all of my corals are attached firmly to the rocks. But hopefully it won't come to that and this is just an early tank age ugly stage. I'm only 4 months in.

jedimasterben

That's what I figured. It isn't anything too bad because my female clownfish will eat any loose strands floating around. She also eats tiny bubble algae omgomgomg. She's awesome!

I will probably get an urchin once all of my corals are attached firmly to the rocks. But hopefully it won't come to that and this is just an early tank age ugly stage. I'm only 4 months in.

The only reason I got the urchin is because it seems that Mexico is completely out of turbo snails :lol:

The LFS has been trying to get Mexican turbos for almost 2 months now without any success, no one seems to have them, so I joked when I was getting the urchin 'what the hell, is mexico just out of turbos?' we all had a good laugh :D

jedimasterben

I'll send you mine... I sumped my bulldozer

I'd take it! I don't really have a lot of corals (and those I do have are all well-attached) so even if it is a bulldozer, it would only bulldoze algae :D

jedimasterben

Since Mexican turbos are still unavailable from the LFS, i think I'm going to go and collect a thousand nerite snails. Nerites are lazy pieces of shit that eat relatively little algae by themselves, but I figure if I have a thousand of them they might actually do something. :lol:

The only reason I got the urchin is because it seems that Mexico is completely out of turbo snails :lol:

The LFS has been trying to get Mexican turbos for almost 2 months now without any success, no one seems to have them, so I joked when I was getting the urchin 'what the hell, is mexico just out of turbos?' we all had a good laugh :D

I wonder if I could find those around here? Maybe I should get those instead if I can find them.
jedimasterben

Went to do a 50/50 peroxide/FW dip on a couple of tiny rocks with corals on them to get rid of the algae... holy shit. The zoas were fine, the leather was fine, but the snake polyps! The peroxide hit them and they started POPPING and sizzling! I think that the peroxide was reacting with their outer flesh layer that they shed often - MAN! They turned bone white and the outer layer is now clear (the polyps under the outer layer still have their normal color) and now the polyps are freaking floating lol. wtf.

Went to do a 50/50 peroxide/FW dip on a couple of tiny rocks with corals on them to get rid of the algae... holy shit. The zoas were fine, the leather was fine, but the snake polyps! The peroxide hit them and they started POPPING and sizzling! I think that the peroxide was reacting with their outer flesh layer that they shed often - MAN! They turned bone white and the outer layer is now clear (the polyps under the outer layer still have their normal color) and now the polyps are freaking floating lol. wtf.

wow...maybe they had a bacterial infection.

jedimasterben

Oh jedi... I have turbos at my LFS so Mexico isn't out yet... but maybe my Mexican fish dealer has a "hookup"

They must be coming in with the drugs :lol: :lol:

wow...maybe they had a bacterial infection.

Maybe, I hadn't even thought of that - but they look back to normal now and their outer layer is coming off already (it wasn't even starting to show before), so the peroxide probably had a crazy reaction to their fleshy layer that they were getting ready to shed. Maybe I just helped them along :D

Archived