Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

Gena! Candy Cane news!

Finally mine are happy. Took freaking forever and lots of dirty spot feeding with the pumps off, but it was worth it!

Do you have any of those pink or green candy cane frags left? Very pretty

IMG_4298_zps977boxua.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks you guys :). I actually decided to leave the pink alone. I do like them too much to get rid of them. So I switched the positions of the turquoise and the neon. And now the neon have attack spots LOL. But that's ok. I like the turquoise more. I just need to trim the neons again and we'll see if that helps. If I have to I'll just relocate the neons to a different rock or maybe just to the sand. Those pink are just soooo feisty!

I've had different colors of trumpets fight each other too. Only it was my turquoise that got pissy with my neons! Meanwhile the turquoise ignore my pink with neon centers that sit right next to them. Silly coral...

Oh gosh. I hope the turquoise and neon don't start acting up too :scarry:. I have frags of them on the sand snuggled up with the fox coral and no issues fingerscrossed. I'm probably really taking a chance there.

Gena! Candy Cane news!

Finally mine are happy. Took freaking forever and lots of dirty spot feeding with the pumps off, but it was worth it!

Do you have any of those pink or green candy cane frags left? Very pretty

Love that color :wub:. They look great!

I haven't fragged the pink yet. And I do have the neon but wasn't planning on selling those right now.

• Like 3

Love that color :wub:. They look great!

I haven't fragged the pink yet. And I do have the neon but wasn't planning on selling those right now.

Oh no problem, was just curious :)

It took them forever to get nice and fat, only recently with extreme feeding did I finally see any tentacles or fluff

• Like 1

Oh no problem, was just curious :)

It took them forever to get nice and fat, only recently with extreme feeding did I finally see any tentacles or fluff

It'd be so much cheaper to locate some locally anyways. They are a dime a dozen :).

I hardly feed mine but they do catch flake or mysis when I feed the fish. Mine have tentacles out almost as soon as I put food in the water.

It'd be so much cheaper to locate some locally anyways. They are a dime a dozen :).

I hardly feed mine but they do catch flake or mysis when I feed the fish. Mine have tentacles out almost as soon as I put food in the water.

Actually I havnt seen candy cane corals! Other LPS yes but no candy cane- this was a small single headed frag from my uncle :)

Interesting about your feeding. Unfortunately for 5 months or so my tanks nutrients were terribly low and growth suffered- but now that I figured out the issue its coming back.

• Like 1

Actually I havnt seen candy cane corals! Other LPS yes but no candy cane- this was a small single headed frag from my uncle :)

Interesting about your feeding. Unfortunately for 5 months or so my tanks nutrients were terribly low and growth suffered- but now that I figured out the issue its coming back.

Yeah, I probably have pretty high nutrients in my tank with 6 fish :).

Have you seen sweepers coming from the cynarina? You have even less real estate than me! It is tough! I'll have to think about a replacement now, just in case I have to take action against those pink trumpets soon. Such a shame because I REALLY love the color.

they have... sweepers? CRAP!

i thought i saw their temperment as non aggressive.

no, no sweepers and she is close to EVERYONE. aiiiii.

• Like 1

I received an Omega One calendar today as I assume a consolation prize for entering their photo contest. I immediately flipped through 'til I found your picture so I could squeal, "I know that tank!" It's a pretty nice calendar, I like the pictures. :)

• Like 1

I'll have to find one. I used mine to track when I was doing my water changes at home and noticed, unfortunately, I spaced them apart too much. I enjoyed that calendar.

• Like 1

Gena, I was wondering - how much do you think you could keep the aggression in check by just cutting/fragging them back periodically?

That's the plan right now. I haven't touched the pinks yet because I like the shape too much. But eventually I'll have to. I saw some majorly long sweepers yesterday. Almost reaching to the turquoise trumpets I just moved :angry:.

they have... sweepers? CRAP!

i thought i saw their temperment as non aggressive.

no, no sweepers and she is close to EVERYONE. aiiiii.

I think they do. I had a cynarina for a while and never saw any but I heard they can be aggressive. Hopefully yours behaves :).

I received an Omega One calendar today as I assume a consolation prize for entering their photo contest. I immediately flipped through 'til I found your picture so I could squeal, "I know that tank!" It's a pretty nice calendar, I like the pictures. :)

Awesome :happydance:.

I haven't received one yet. I haven't ordered any free food yet either. Last year I placed my order early and they sent me the calendar with the order.

I'll have to find one. I used mine to track when I was doing my water changes at home and noticed, unfortunately, I spaced them apart too much. I enjoyed that calendar.

Last year they sent me extras so if you can't find one let me know :).
  • Like 3

That's crazy. I have kept candy canes mixed for years...although that pink one may be a different type. I have kept the all pink, green and blues together but yours look pink with green centers.

Found a pic of the pink ones I had...maybe try and find these.

image.jpg1.jpg

• Like 7

That's the plan right now. I haven't touched the pinks yet because I like the shape too much. But eventually I'll have to. I saw some majorly long sweepers yesterday. Almost reaching to the turquoise trumpets I just moved :angry:.

I hope that works because I'd like to try it with some of my corals too.

Also, I've noticed with my favias that once they "discover" an enemy coral is out there, they start getting aggressive and developing longer and longer sweepers. After I moved them out of reach of everything, the sweepers disappeared a couple weeks later.

• Like 1

That's crazy. I have kept candy canes mixed for years...although that pink one may be a different type. I have kept the all pink, green and blues together but yours look pink with green centers.

Found a pic of the pink ones I had...maybe try and find these.

image.jpg1.jpg

Wow...those are so pretty! I like those better than mine. Mine do have a green center. Let me know if you ever come across those :wub:.

Here's my brats LOL

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-11%20at%2010.57.

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-11%20at%2010.55.

and just because....

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-11%20at%2011.02.

I hope that works because I'd like to try it with some of my corals too.

Also, I've noticed with my favias that once they "discover" an enemy coral is out there, they start getting aggressive and developing longer and longer sweepers. After I moved them out of reach of everything, the sweepers disappeared a couple weeks later.

Well, mine are following suit. The sweepers were the most aggressive I've seen yet. Luckily there's enough space between things now that no damage was done.
  • Like 12

Wow...those are so pretty! I like those better than mine. Mine do have a green center. Let me know if you ever come across those :wub:.

Here's my brats LOL

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-11%20at%2010.57.

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-11%20at%2010.55.

Well, mine are following suit. The sweepers were the most aggressive I've seen yet. Luckily there's enough space between things now that no damage was done.

Very nice. I love that green centered cc.

On a related note, I currently have a "He's touching me" situation in my tank. My duncan taps my chalice and apparently one of my RFA's.

The RFA the other morning had a tentacle from the duncan in its mouth and was trying to eat it. The chalice had a single sweeper out close to the duncan. However, the current was keeping it away from the duncan. I should have snapped a picture of both.

• Like 2

Very nice. I love that green centered cc.

On a related note, I currently have a "He's touching me" situation in my tank. My duncan taps my chalice and apparently one of my RFA's.

The RFA the other morning had a tentacle from the duncan in its mouth and was trying to eat it. The chalice had a single sweeper out close to the duncan. However, the current was keeping it away from the duncan. I should have snapped a picture of both.

Thank you!!!

I like that "He's touching me" LOL. So far I've found this:

Trumpet v. xenia....trumpet wins. Xenia v. gorgonian....gorgonian wins. Basically xenia is a wimp LOL. But that's a good thing because I think my next issue will be the xenia :scarry:. I'm planning to let it just do what it wants. It may not look that great but with this tank I don't really care. I just want the whole tank to be exploding with softy goodness :).

edit: kenya v. blasto.....blasto wins :)

• Like 4

Thank you!!!I like that "He's touching me" LOL. So far I've found this:Trumpet v. xenia....trumpet wins. Xenia v. gorgonian....gorgonian wins. Basically xenia is a wimp LOL. But that's a good thing because I think my next issue will be the xenia :scarry:. I'm planning to let it just do what it wants. It may not look that great but with this tank I don't really care. I just want the whole tank to be exploding with softy goodness :).edit: kenya v. blasto.....blasto wins :)

Xenia stings?