Cultivated Reef

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

Thanks, Scott! At first I was confused about "vintage pic"....then realized oh...me! My vintage pic LOLOLOL .

I actually did a double take when I saw that first picture. We looked very similar as kids! There are pictures of me at that age with double pigtails, long hair, and bangs. Must have been a sign of the times. I turned 40 this year.

• Like 1

The 70's were so bad. All my childhood pics are terrible. Terrible clothes, terrible hair......I am wondering in 40 years will my kids look at their childhood pics and wonder WTF we were thinking?

:lol:

My mom did well...no bad 70s clothes on me :D. Unless maybe you guys think what I was wearing was bad LOL. I liked my roller skates shirt :). You can't see it but there's another roller skate on my back so it looks like I'm carrying roller skates over my shoulder :). Remember how fun it was to go to the Roller Rink????? LOL

I actually did a double take when I saw that first picture. We looked very similar as kids! There are pictures of me at that age with double pigtails, long hair, and bangs. Must have been a sign of the times. I turned 40 this year.

Totally! I had that look for a few years :).

• Like 1

Best Wishes to you Gena. I'm late in looking at NR. Been busy w/ my niece & nephew in town. I love your pics, same everything from back when. And I wish there was some way for NR peeps to see Finding Dory together. It would be so fun to have a group movie night.

• Like 1

My mom did well...no bad 70s clothes on me :D. Unless maybe you guys think what I was wearing was bad LOL. I liked my roller skates shirt :). You can't see it but there's another roller skate on my back so it looks like I'm carrying roller skates over my shoulder :). Remember how fun it was to go to the Roller Rink????? LOL

Totally! I had that look for a few years :).

The Roller Rink was bad ass. Slow jams = making out. ;)

• Like 1

Best Wishes to you Gena. I'm late in looking at NR. Been busy w/ my niece & nephew in town. I love your pics, same everything from back when. And I wish there was some way for NR peeps to see Finding Dory together. It would be so fun to have a group movie night.

Thanks, Annette!!!! I saw all the photos on FB. The twins are adorable :).

Agree on the movie night!

The Roller Rink was bad ass. Slow jams = making out. ;)

Slow jams for couples skate. I don't remember if I was ever asked. I know I wanted to be :). I was pretty young when we went to the rink. They had a huge one in Merrillville that we always went to. We moved away when I was 11 and our new small town had a dinky roller rink. We went maybe once or twice. Guess we were spoiled by the big one :).

Only a couple of pictures today. The camera settings must have been changed recently because everything was turning out blue. I didn't have the time nor desire to figure out what was going on with it. Maybe tomorrow :).

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-12%20at%202.28.1

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-12%20at%202.29.1

• Like 9

gorgeous tank, GENA! as always!

i love the throw back fotos too. :D you can always

tell a 70s foto cause it has that orange tinge to it, like

even the photo knows to age like the 70s. HAH

my sweet pea turned 12 this week too!! she was sick at

home, and i had to emergency drive up to LA to see my

ailing dad!! but she was happy to stay at home and my

hub came at lunch to buy her an eggnog frapp. she's obssessed

with eggnog. ha!

hope you are celebrating well this weekend too! <3

• Like 1

gorgeous tank, GENA! as always!

i love the throw back fotos too. :D you can always

tell a 70s foto cause it has that orange tinge to it, like

even the photo knows to age like the 70s. HAH

my sweet pea turned 12 this week too!! she was sick at

home, and i had to emergency drive up to LA to see my

ailing dad!! but she was happy to stay at home and my

hub came at lunch to buy her an eggnog frapp. she's obssessed

with eggnog. ha!

hope you are celebrating well this weekend too! <3

Happy Birthday to your sweat pea :happy:. November is a very busy birthday month in my family/life. SO many birthdays. My mom's birthday is/was Halloween and then me 10 days later and then my son 10 days after me. My brother is the 14th. My Godmother is the 24th. Then friends...so many friends with November birthdays :).

Yeah..I guess the photos start to deteriorate a bit. Here's another throwback (I like that better than vintage (Scott :flower:) LOL). You girls that are my age-ish...remember Healthtex???? I totally remember picking out matching shirt and pants/shorts sets at the department store with my mom :). We loved to shop together :happy:. I'm pretty certain this was a healthex set..they totally had that look. I remember my favorite was a kitty shirt. This one looks like ducks :). I just looked them up...they still sell that brand. But looks like it's sold at yucky Walmart! I always got mine at this department store at the fancy outdoor mall in the Chicago area. I can't believe I can't remember the name of that mall!!!! OMG...they had Marshall Field's there. LOVED that store at Christmas time!

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-15%20at%2010.04.

That's me, my older brother and my aunt (mom's sister).

• Like 6

Gena, some fish questions for you =). I am looking into getting a midas blenny and a leopard wrasse (in a couple of months). I know you had both previously. Were they difficult to care for?

No...neither were difficult. The midas is a very sweet fish. You would love having one. Mine had an internal issue though which I think is quite common with them. It just wasted away. Unless there's something in their diet that is necessary and I wasn't able to provide it. I think he had worms though.

The leopard is a VERY active fish. Worst thing about them is the sand mess. And they WILL make one everyday. In a small tank that equals death to corals near or on the sand. You should be ok with a larger tank though. I just disliked the mess everyday. They like to sweep the sand with their body and tail. And mine did this every evening while looking for it's spot to sleep for the night. I always knew when it went to bed, or was getting ready, because my tank was a cloudy mess :).

• Like 1

No...neither were difficult. The midas is a very sweet fish. You would love having one. Mine had an internal issue though which I think is quite common with them. It just wasted away. Unless there's something in their diet that is necessary and I wasn't able to provide it. I think he had worms though.

The leopard is a VERY active fish. Worst thing about them is the sand mess. And they WILL make one everyday. In a small tank that equals death to corals near or on the sand. You should be ok with a larger tank though. I just disliked the mess everyday. They like to sweep the sand with their body and tail. And mine did this every evening while looking for it's spot to sleep for the night. I always knew when it went to bed, or was getting ready, because my tank was a cloudy mess :).

I saw a Midas at the LFS yesterday that was very active but super skinny. I asked the guy to feed it and it ate, but still so skinny so I passed. Must be worms or internal parasite like you said. I saw another one at another LFS that was nice and fat but they were asking $60. I am going to get him for $50ish during Black Friday. The way their tail moves when swimming is gorgeous.

• Like 2

I am so behind! First off, Happy Belated Birthday, Gena. I hope you had a great Birthday with your family!

Love some of the newest shots where you got part of the stand in the photos. I had forgotten how pretty the color that you painted the stand is. I just love it! Everything looks so healthy and happy. I'm thrilled to see the blastos are doing so well for you!

I saw a Midas at the LFS yesterday that was very active but super skinny. I asked the guy to feed it and it ate, but still so skinny so I passed. Must be worms or internal parasite like you said. I saw another one at another LFS that was nice and fat but they were asking $60. I am going to get him for $50ish during Black Friday. The way their tail moves when swimming is gorgeous.

I had two midas blennies that both wasted away like Gena's. They were active and ate all the time, but slowly over several months they just wasted away. It seems like internal parasites are a common issue with them. They're gorgeous fish though and have great personalities. I'd recommend one if you could quarantine it and treat with PraziPro before adding it to the tank.

• Like 2

I had two midas blennies that both wasted away like Gena's. They were active and ate all the time, but slowly over several months they just wasted away. It seems like internal parasites are a common issue with them. They're gorgeous fish though and have great personalities. I'd recommend one if you could quarantine it and treat with PraziPro before adding it to the tank.

since i dont have any corals and PraziPro is reef safe, I may use it in the DT...

is it possible for the midas to develop worms AFTER it has entered your DT? I wonder why it would take months for it to waste away...

since i dont have any corals and PraziPro is reef safe, I may use it in the DT...

is it possible for the midas to develop worms AFTER it has entered your DT? I wonder why it would take months for it to waste away...

Prazipro is reef safe but I've always been hesitant to dump it in my reef tank. Since you don't have any coral though, I wouldn't worry about it.

I think they come in with the worms, it's just a type of worm that doesn't kill the fish quickly. Basically the worm steals nutrients that the fish eats and then as the worm grows or multiplies, it uses up more of the nutrients. This leaves less for the fish and it slowly wastes away and starves. Basically like children with tape worms in undeveloped countries. They can live a long time with the worms but get sicker over time as they're not getting enough nutrients from the food they eat.

• Like 3

I also had a midas blenny. It was one of my favorite fish. It was fat when I bought it and 2+ years later it was still fat when I re-homed it. The only reason I parted with it is is I went down to 1 tank that was a dedicated seahorse tank and I thought the midas blenny was too risky to go in with seahorses. I fed it a wide variety of frozen foods and it ate anything.

• Like 1

I shoulda responded to this when I saw it yesterday - I did PraziPro to get rid of flukes on my firefish. Dosed with corals in the tank. It just pissed off my xenia and mushrooms for a day or so.

I did 1/2 dose, water change after 5 days, 1/2 dose, water change after 5 more days, done.

• Like 2

I shoulda responded to this when I saw it yesterday - I did PraziPro to get rid of flukes on my firefish. Dosed with corals in the tank. It just pissed off my xenia and mushrooms for a day or so.

I did 1/2 dose, water change after 5 days, 1/2 dose, water change after 5 more days, done.

how many percent water change?

how many percent water change?

I think it was just a "normal" water change which for me is 4.5 gallons in my "29 gallon" biocube. I'll see if I can find where I posted about it in my thread.

• Like 1

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Felicia :flower:.

If the worms are in your tank already...they can definitely catch them. Midas blennies sleep in/on the rocks and that's how they pick up the worms. I too dosed Prazipro in my DT and had no issues with it. I can't remember if I dosed with the midas in there or not. I know I dosed for a firefish. Flukes are a PITA. If you ever see your fish flashing on the rocks or sand...they probably have gill flukes and that's what I dosed the prazipro for.
  • Like 2

The kitties are so grown up now! Still adorable.

Is that an Anthropologie window display? Definitely looks like one. They always have super elaborate window displays. My sister did an internship there while she was in college being the designer for the window displays.

• Like 1