Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

Algal spores preferentially settle out on dark surfaces compared to light surfaces! This was identified in a study looking at algal growth on different colors and patterns of seasnakes.

R. Shine, F. Brischoux, A. J. Pile. A seasnake's colour affects its susceptibility to algal fouling. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 2010.

Abstract: Evolutionary transitions from terrestrial to aquatic life modify selective forces on an animal's coloration. For example, light penetrates differently through water than air, and a new suite of predators and visual backgrounds changes the targets of selection. We suggest that an aquatic animal's coloration may also affect its susceptibility to algal fouling. In a colour-polymorphic field population of seasnakes (Emydocephalus annulatus) in New Caledonia, black individuals supported higher algal cover than did banded conspecifics. In experimental tests, black snake models (plastic tubes) accumulated more algae than did banded models. Algal cover substantially reduced snake activity (in the field) and swimming speeds (in the laboratory). Effects of algal cover on a snake's hydrodynamic efficiency and/or its rate of cutaneous gas exchange thus may impose selection on the colours of aquatic organisms.

Another reason to go with a white background! I had a feeling the white wasn't to it's liking :). This is awesome..thanks for the info, Mirya!!!!!
  • Like 3

So pretty :wub: Is that your new leather?

It is :).

What kind of leather is it? Looks like a great place for clowns to frolic.

It's a yellow fiji leather. I had one several years ago. Might have had a small one in my NC12 too. Can't remember. They are very nice looking leather corals!

Those are pretty close up shots!

Thank you! I didn't break out the macro lens for these. Just wanted to get some quick shots yesterday before it got too dim in there :).
  • Like 2

Love the new leather! It seems like it was meant to be there all along. :)

Thank you :). I bought it a neighbor today LOL. I'm on a leather kick I guess. I haven't bought anything new for my tank in so long and the last 2 weeks I've splurged a bit. I think this is a type of toadstool. It's a nice light brown/pink shade which contrasts nicely with the darker kenya tree behind it. Plus I picked up a few more snails today to hopefully chow down on the algae.

A bit dark since it's almost sunset....

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-11%20at%207.04.3

• Like 11

Thank you :). I bought it a neighbor today LOL. I'm on a leather kick I guess. I haven't bought anything new for my tank in so long and the last 2 weeks I've splurged a bit. I think this is a type of toadstool. It's a nice light brown/pink shade which contrasts nicely with the darker kenya tree behind it. Plus I picked up a few more snails today to hopefully chow down on the algae.A bit dark since it's almost sunset....Screen%20Shot%202016-01-11%20at%207.04.3

I love the evening shot :wub:

• Like 1

Alright Gena. I remember when you were setting this up to be "easy" and "low maintenance." Are you really spending that much less time on it? ;)

Looking beautiful btw!

• Like 1

I love the evening shot :wub:

A different perspective :).

Alright Gena. I remember when you were setting this up to be "easy" and "low maintenance." Are you really spending that much less time on it? ;)

Looking beautiful btw!

I really am :happydance:. I also re-homed my high maintenance fish (mandarin) which made a big difference. I only have to feed once a day now :).

Here she is at the brightest time of the day....

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-12%20at%2012.25.

I think I'm done buying coral now. Unless I get that gorgonian. That's still a possibility. And I never did get acans. Maybe I'll save that for MACNA. Bring something special (coral) home from that for my tank. I do want to make some equipment changes though. I want to get a Cobalt heater. And I want to perhaps get one of the custom tops that Smiz makes. Ever since my fish jumped I don't have faith in my current top. Waiting on a quote for the lid. And then I also want to get the micro smart ATO.

Oh and an AC70 surface skimmer custom made. I don't have an issue with scum at the surface but I need something to keep the filter from sucking up the kenya tree into the intake :rolleyes:.

• Like 9

I really am :happydance:. I also re-homed my high maintenance fish (mandarin) which made a big difference. I only have to feed once a day now :).

I think I'm done buying coral now. Unless I get that gorgonian. That's still a possibility. And I never did get acans. Maybe I'll save that for MACNA. Bring something special (coral) home from that for my tank. I do want to make some equipment changes though. I want to get a Cobalt heater. And I want to perhaps get one of the custom tops that Smiz makes. Ever since my fish jumped I don't have faith in my current top. Waiting on a quote for the lid. And then I also want to get the micro smart ATO.

Oh and an AC70 surface skimmer custom made. I don't have an issue with scum at the surface but I need something to keep the filter from sucking up the kenya tree into the intake :rolleyes:.

Love the pic. My ato should be in tomorrow :happydance:
  • Like 2

Algal spores preferentially settle out on dark surfaces compared to light surfaces! This was identified in a study looking at algal growth on different colors and patterns of seasnakes.

R. Shine, F. Brischoux, A. J. Pile. A seasnake's colour affects its susceptibility to algal fouling. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 2010.

Abstract: Evolutionary transitions from terrestrial to aquatic life modify selective forces on an animal's coloration. For example, light penetrates differently through water than air, and a new suite of predators and visual backgrounds changes the targets of selection. We suggest that an aquatic animal's coloration may also affect its susceptibility to algal fouling. In a colour-polymorphic field population of seasnakes (Emydocephalus annulatus) in New Caledonia, black individuals supported higher algal cover than did banded conspecifics. In experimental tests, black snake models (plastic tubes) accumulated more algae than did banded models. Algal cover substantially reduced snake activity (in the field) and swimming speeds (in the laboratory). Effects of algal cover on a snake's hydrodynamic efficiency and/or its rate of cutaneous gas exchange thus may impose selection on the colours of aquatic organisms.

I wished I had read this before I painted my backround black! :-(
  • Like 1

So much pretty going on here. Some blue sinularia would look great in there.

• Like 1

I just figured I would say this> I had to look on your first post to remind myself how big this tank is. Is this the same 20gal as in your first post (no upgrade throughout this thread right)? It looks like a much bigger tank, it is so open and beautiful. I love how everything it so light and bright. Helps that your background is not painted black. I am trying to think of my next tank options.. I want something in the 50-70gal range that has a light background. Not sure if I want another sump though..

• Like 1

Looks great! I love all the "simple" equipment upgrades you have planned :lol:

Seriously, though, I get it. These all really do make things simpler :)

• Like 1

Love the pic. My ato should be in tomorrow :happydance:

Did you get it????

Not that I can hold a candle to your tank, but maybe move your new toadstool to the right, next to the turquoise trumpets and behind your palys?

Whatever :lol:. Your tanks are amazing :flower:.

I have a ricordea back there that I'm hoping will start growing up that finger leather rock so I don't want to shade it. Plus I really like the toadstool where it is now :).

Your trumpets/candy canes look great! Hope I can get mine to grow out like that

Thank you! They are super easy corals in my experience. You shouldn't have any trouble at all :).

So much pretty going on here. Some blue sinularia would look great in there.

It would! Not sure where I'd put it though. But I want it LOL.

I just figured I would say this> I had to look on your first post to remind myself how big this tank is. Is this the same 20gal as in your first post (no upgrade throughout this thread right)? It looks like a much bigger tank, it is so open and beautiful. I love how everything it so light and bright. Helps that your background is not painted black. I am trying to think of my next tank options.. I want something in the 50-70gal range that has a light background. Not sure if I want another sump though..

Yep...same 20L. Go for a white background. It's super easy to keep clean...surprisingly.

Looks great! I love all the "simple" equipment upgrades you have planned :lol:

Seriously, though, I get it. These all really do make things simpler :)

Haha...they are simple. Just costly :wacko:.

For you teeny....

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-13%20at%205.00.5

• Like 6

That pic cracks me up! I can't tell what he's got. Maybe a little sponge?

I don't think it's a sponge. But who knows :).

I have a photo dump and even a video for the thread today :happydance:.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-14%20at%201.36.3

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-14%20at%201.40.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-14%20at%201.38.3

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-14%20at%201.42.5

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-14%20at%201.37.2

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-14%20at%201.37.4

Pinky looked cute in this FTS so I'm including it as well.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-14%20at%201.43.3

and the video:

• Like 8

Love the video gena! Looks great and especially like the little wrasse :)

Thank you :). That little wrasse is the best. I'm going to buy him a fancy new screen top so he will be with me for a very long time :).
  • Like 4