SaltCritters.com

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

E, my wife had laproscopic surgery for a herniated disc earlier this year. She was able to walk out of the hospital the same day she had the surgery, and is almost fully recovered four months later. I know it's not as severe as what you're dealing with, but after going through almost a year of chiropractic care, steroid injections, oral steroids, PT, and even aromatherapy (in a fit of desperation), it was a huge relief to just get it fixed. And yeah, oral steroids really suck, avoid them if you can. Getting a second opinion from a neurosurgeon instead of an orthopedist was literally a life changing experience for her. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing this! If this injection does not give long term relief, this is how I am going to proceed.

• Like 1

Hope you feel better gena. Plant some catnip in a pot for them. My cat will lay for hours in the plant, chewing and sniffing. All of a sudden she jumps up and acts crazy. Last time she was on the back of the couch holding on with all 4 paws like the room was spinning.

• Like 4

I love the cat pics :wub: And I'm really happy to hear that your shoulder will recover with PT :flower: That's really the best possible outcome. Between my wife and I, we've been through multiple blown shoulders, knees, and backs, all leading to surgery. From my experience, if you really needed to take the shot you wouldn't have had much doubt about it. The need to relieve the pain pretty much erases any fear of getting a shot :o

Thanks, t! Oh yeah, had I gone in there on Tuesday when I was experiencing the worst pain, I would have been begging for a couple of shots LOL.

Hope you feel better gena. Plant some catnip in a pot for them. My cat will lay for hours in the plant, chewing and sniffing. All of a sudden she jumps up and acts crazy. Last time she was on the back of the couch holding on with all 4 paws like the room was spinning.

Thanks, Pat! I have even more movement with my arm today! Just gonna take some time. I have a pot of catnip growing outside, I should get one for indoors! Love the way cats react to it LOL. When I was having my worst pain, my husband suggested I break open the large container of dried catnip that I have for the kittens LOL.

So water is brewing for today's water change....that I will attempt with one hand lol. I promise to have fishy pics soon thereafter. In the meantime..can't resist posting these from this morning :wub:.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-31%20at%2010.37.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-31%20at%2010.36.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-31%20at%2010.38.

• Like 8

It was nice giving him the cooking experience. He needs to do it more often. OMG....I'm typing with two hands omgomgomg:lol:.

I've got the RODI running right now for a waterchange tomorrow. I think I'll be able to do this :).

Don't over-do it though!!!! And woo hoo to typing with two hands!!! thank goodness you're feeling a bit better.

• Like 1

Don't over-do it though!!!! And woo hoo to typing with two hands!!! thank goodness you're feeling a bit better.

I won't :). I probably won't be able to do my usual cleaning, but even if I can just get new water in that's better than nothing. I should be able to get it all done though :). It will just take me longer.
  • Like 3

Glad to hear you have a diagnosis and its something that doesn't need surgery. Hope it keeps healing quickly! Be careful doing that water change!

• Like 1

I DID it! I was very careful too :). Took me forever but I was able to do almost as good a job as if I used two hands lol.

Tank is still a little cloudy but I grabbed some photos anyways.....

Since tomorrow is August, we'll just call this the August 2015 FTS

8-1-15no1_zpsfj7prwhh.png

Need to work on getting this one in focus!

8-1-15no5_zpsvmxwyzyo.png

The clownfish are showing a HUGE interest in the open brain coral. Which has been a host to a clownfish in the past so this should be no surprise to it LOL. Unfortunately it's acting all deflated :rolleyes:.

8-1-15no4_zpsncwvscxp.png

8-1-15no2_zpsoraldhve.png

8-1-15no3_zpsyyqvrpq2.png

Everything is doing well in here. I recently moved the pink hippo palys up higher so they wouldn't shade my magicians. Magicians are now happy but the pink hippos were being irritated by the pink leather coral above so I moved them to the sand. Hopefully tomorrow they'll be open and happy again :).

• Like 6

Way to go! And it looks great :)

It would be really cool if the clowns host the brain. Hopefully they won't irritate it too much before they learn to get along together.

• Like 1

Way to go! And it looks great :)

It would be really cool if the clowns host the brain. Hopefully they won't irritate it too much before they learn to get along together.

Thanks, t :flower:.

It was host to a black and white clown a few years ago. I seem to remember it taking a while to get used to that as well.

this was it's first tenant:

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-31%20at%207.23.1

• Like 4

Tank looks amazing. :) Fox is looking...well...foxy...such a billowy, happy, pink coral. Great addition to your pastel garden! Glad you got the water change done with no harm to your shoulder.

• Like 1

Tank looks amazing. :) Fox is looking...well...foxy...such a billowy, happy, pink coral. Great addition to your pastel garden! Glad you got the water change done with no harm to your shoulder.

Thank you :flower:. Today has been a pretty good day. I can almost wash my hair with two hands :D. I have a feeling tomorrow I'll be able to! I could brush my teeth with my right hand today. It's amazing what little things we take for granted :).

Looking good! Love 6lines really cool to watch them hunt! Funny- never knew clowns were interested in brains

Thanks, Scott! He's actually a pink-streaked wrasse...very similar to the sixline but way more peaceful :).
  • Like 3
Sk8n Reefer

Thank you :flower:. Today has been a pretty good day. I can almost wash my hair with two hands :D. I have a feeling tomorrow I'll be able to! I could brush my teeth with my right hand today. It's amazing what little things we take for granted :). Thanks, Scott! He's actually a pink-streaked wrasse...very similar to the sixline but way more peaceful :).

Pink streaked? Never heard of them- yes looks very similiar. Peaceful that's a huge benefit- what do you feed him?

• Like 1

Pink streaked? Never heard of them- yes looks very similiar. Peaceful that's a huge benefit- what do you feed him?

I think they are also called cryptic wrasse. He eats frozen mysis, frozen cyclopeeze, NLS pellets. He's not picky at all.
  • Like 3
Sk8n Reefer

I think they are also called cryptic wrasse. He eats frozen mysis, frozen cyclopeeze, NLS pellets. He's not picky at all.

Do you have many pods in the tank or has he hunted them all?

Do you have many pods in the tank or has he hunted them all?

He hunts all the time. I don't see any pods in my tank but I know he's getting them. Speaking of eating...the female clown was eating baby bubble algae today! I was shocked! I was knocking them off of the rocks during my water change and she was going after them...she loved them LOL.
  • Like 5

He hunts all the time. I don't see any pods in my tank but I know he's getting them. Speaking of eating...the female clown was eating baby bubble algae today! I was shocked! I was knocking them off of the rocks during my water change and she was going after them...she loved them LOL.

If you can figure out how to breed more with that trait, you could be independently wealthy :)

• Like 4
Sk8n Reefer

Awesome- that's a bonus for the clown. My bubble algae is slowly disappearing - my Emerald crab is finally developing a taste for it ?

• Like 2

If you can figure out how to breed more with that trait, you could be independently wealthy :)

I know omgomgomg. She also scraped off the little bit of pink cotton candy algae that was on a rock from my fuge! I was a little concerned putting it in my display and planned to keep an eye on it to make sure it didn't spread. Well no worries at all. She's a keeper!

Awesome- that's a bonus for the clown. My bubble algae is slowly disappearing - my Emerald crab is finally developing a taste for it

Nice! I'd try an emerald crab but I've never had luck with them. They always move things around on me or start picking at my coral. I just manage the bubble algae myself every week. Knock it off the rock and suck it up. Seems to be working. But it's definitely not eradicated yet. Not sure I'll ever be BA free :rolleyes:.
  • Like 4

Yesterday afternoon our A/C decided to die. Luckily we were able to fix it ourselves and it's back running again. But last night around 12:30am I was still awake because it was too uncomfortable to sleep. Decided to grab a nighttime video of Nicky and Nora doing what they love to do when we go to bed LOL. It's a bit dark. Next time I'll get one during the day :).

Now that the house is comfortable again, they are back to sleeping in their tree :).

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-01%20at%201.27.2

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-01%20at%201.27.3

and I grabbed a few more photos of the tank. The diatoms or cyano is GONE :happydance:. It just suddenly decided to disappear. I knew it would and didn't panic when it appeared. It's all part of the new tank stages :).

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-01%20at%201.27.5

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-01%20at%201.28.5

pink hippos almost all the way open again.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-01%20at%201.29.2

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-01%20at%201.28.2

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-01%20at%201.29.1

• Like 3

Your kitties sure are rambunctious! No wonder you have so many pictures of them napping during the day. They play hard! :) Up that tree in just a second.

Love seeing your tank. A work of art!

• Like 1