Cultivated Reef

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

HarryPotter

Yesterday afternoon our A/C decided to die. Luckily we were able to fix it ourselves and it's back running again. But last night around 12:30am I was still awake because it was too uncomfortable to sleep. Decided to grab a nighttime video of Nicky and Nora doing what they love to do when we go to bed LOL. It's a bit dark. Next time I'll get one during the day :).

Now that the house is comfortable again, they are back to sleeping in their tree :).

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-01%20at%201.27.2

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-01%20at%201.27.3

and I grabbed a few more photos of the tank. The diatoms or cyano is GONE :happydance:. It just suddenly decided to disappear. I knew it would and didn't panic when it appeared. It's all part of the new tank stages :).

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-01%20at%201.27.5

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-01%20at%201.28.5

pink hippos almost all the way open again.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-01%20at%201.29.2

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-01%20at%201.28.2

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-01%20at%201.29.1

Incredible! The gorgeous cats, the tank, what you're dealing with/overcoming, etc. Pretty freaking incredible...

• Like 1

This tank is so pretty!!

And your kittens are so adorable!!

But what are those little green/white things on the trumpet rock?

Thank you! Those are a type of macroalgae. Mirya did the leg work for me :). Neomeris annulata. I've had it before and it usually doesn't last long. It ends up breaking apart and disappearing.

Your kitties sure are rambunctious! No wonder you have so many pictures of them napping during the day. They play hard! :) Up that tree in just a second.

Love seeing your tank. A work of art!

They play much harder than that! I think because it was hot in the house they weren't as rambunctious as they can be :). Thanks about the tank...YOU are the one with the masterpiece :wub:.

So much kitty fun at night! it doesn't keep you up at night?

Nope :). They usually settle down within 15 min. But like clockwork, when we get into bed they get rowdy LOL.

Incredible! The gorgeous cats, the tank, what you're dealing with/overcoming, etc. Pretty freaking incredible...

Thanks, Harry :flower:

Ahh, the kitties are so cute when they are sleeping! The tank looks great too!

Thanks, Dawn :).

Whew, glad you were able to fix the AC.

I spy a green banded goby :wub:

Yes and yes :). I have two GBGs in this tank. I need to catch them doing their mating ritual lol.

Neomeris annulata, a calciferous macroalgae.

Thank you :flower:.

Got a video today of Nora playing with one of their favorite toys. It's under $10 on Amazon and they love this thing!

I swear I could sit for hours and watch cats play. They usually only last about 15min at a time though before they have to go take another cat nap lol.

• Like 4

What a great toy. And I completely forgot you had another dog.

Yep...that's Jack :).

How'd property hunting go today? I have to check your thread to see if there is an update!

• Like 1

That is a cool cat toy! Will have to look them up and get one for my dads house cats! Sweet kitties! That is one big house dog. It is so funny to me that almost every person I know that has a reef tank has other animals as well.

• Like 1

That is a cool cat toy! Will have to look them up and get one for my dads house cats! Sweet kitties! That is one big house dog. It is so funny to me that almost every person I know that has a reef tank has other animals as well.

Yeah, they really do love it :).

I think most reefers are also pet hoarders LOL.

• Like 3

Yes! Pet hoarders! So funny...have not heard that expression before but it is so true!

We have 3 cats, 2 dogs, 13 crested geckos, fish. I'd add chickens (hens) and another kitten if I could LOL. Pets are my life :).

• Like 2

We have 3 cats, 2 dogs, 13 crested geckos, fish. I'd add chickens (hens) and another kitten if I could LOL. Pets are my life :).

Wow! You have a lot! Especially Geckos! We live on a small farm but I will try to name everything we have...One pionus parrot, two parakeets, a hamster, two stink pot turtles, a leopard gecko, several fresh water fish tanks, My little reef tank, four house dogs, three farm dogs, 13 farm cats, three ponies, nine dairy goats, and 11 chickens. (and a partridge in a pear tree!!! ha ha) No, really we used to have much more but as we adopted more and more children, they are my priority and so now we only have the ones we need for food and ones that give us great pleasure. Many of these are my childrens pets and they care for them with supervision. I have 11 children, 9 of those children are still living at home, all special needs. Ages ranging from 20 down to three months old. Many of the kids will always live with us and not be able to live on their own so pets really enrich their lives. :)

• Like 1

I love watching all your kitty videos/pictures and catching a glimps of your other animals! Had never seen your big dog before that was in one of the last videos.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

I love watching all your kitty videos/pictures and catching a glimps of your other animals! Had never seen your big dog before that was in one of the last videos.

I need cad advice ASAP please!. So I was outside and our outdoor cat following me outside as usual. Then the cat started scratching itself on a little cactus- very cute so I took a picture

However then it started licking the cactus, and now has those terrible tiny thorns on its tongue. It's very upset and aggravated from the pain of the thorns, and won't let me get near it.

What should I do? Let nature take its course and wait or try to take it to the vet to get the thorns out?

Parents aren't home so not sure what to do :(

F0FD2799-A7C3-4C52-99DB-73CBAE4C1C6D_zps

I can't think of a way to get them out. I just did a quick search of the web and see nothing about treatment on the tounge. I imagine they would eventually work thier way out but it is swelling of that area I would be worried about. Dont want a blocked airway. Best to call an emergency vet for advice on this one. Better safe than sorry. Wish I could be of more help.

HarryPotter

I can't think of a way to get them out. I just did a quick search of the web and see nothing about treatment on the tounge. I imagine they would eventually work thier way out but it is swelling of that area I would be worried about. Dont want a blocked airway. Best to call an emergency vet for advice on this one. Better safe than sorry. Wish I could be of more help.

Okay thanks. Im going to call the vet and ask for advice, and then call my aunt since parents are away. She has a bunch of cats

Im going to call the local vet and see. She's about 10 months old and has only been outdoors for 3 months, so I'm worried she could even get hit by a car or go into someones yard with a dog in her panic.

Poor baby :(

• Like 1

Damn she ran down the block....

Im going to call the local vet and see. She's about 10 months old and has only been outdoors for 3 months, so I'm worried she could even get hit by a car or go into someones yard with a dog in her panic.

Oh man, I am so sorry. I pray she will be ok and you can get her and help her.

HarryPotter

Oh man, I am so sorry. I pray she will be ok and you can get her and help her.

Thank you

I feel so guilty... Because today was the first time I ever was following her around, petting her, and taking photos of her playing in the garden. Im not sure if that would have caused her to lick the cactus or not, but either way :(

Cant find her... Nothing to do except wait for her to come back to eat

• Like 1

Thank you

I feel so guilty... Because today was the first time I ever was following her around, petting her, and taking photos of her playing in the garden. Im not sure if that would have caused her to lick the cactus or not, but either way :(

It does not sound like it is your fault at all. Sometimes things just happen. I hope she comes back soon to you and you can help her.

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thank you

Don't worry it will be ok my cat has done far worse things than lick a cactus and she's fine. Is their anything your cat really likes so you can entice her back?
  • Like 1

Wow! You have a lot! Especially Geckos! We live on a small farm but I will try to name everything we have...One pionus parrot, two parakeets, a hamster, two stink pot turtles, a leopard gecko, several fresh water fish tanks, My little reef tank, four house dogs, three farm dogs, 13 farm cats, three ponies, nine dairy goats, and 11 chickens. (and a partridge in a pear tree!!! ha ha) No, really we used to have much more but as we adopted more and more children, they are my priority and so now we only have the ones we need for food and ones that give us great pleasure. Many of these are my childrens pets and they care for them with supervision. I have 11 children, 9 of those children are still living at home, all special needs. Ages ranging from 20 down to three months old. Many of the kids will always live with us and not be able to live on their own so pets really enrich their lives. :)

Compared to you I need more :). Sounds like a dream farm :wub:. Someday....someday!

I need cad advice ASAP please!. So I was outside and our outdoor cat following me outside as usual. Then the cat started scratching itself on a little cactus- very cute so I took a picture

However then it started licking the cactus, and now has those terrible tiny thorns on its tongue. It's very upset and aggravated from the pain of the thorns, and won't let me get near it.

What should I do? Let nature take its course and wait or try to take it to the vet to get the thorns out?

Parents aren't home so not sure what to do :(

Oh no! Did she come back yet? I have a cactus sitting on my windowsill and Nora has been getting up there lately. It has those annoying hairy thorns that all you have to do is lightly brush against it and they are stuck to you. I was worried about her getting into it. Hopefully by licking her fur she can work those out!

Okay thanks. Im going to call the vet and ask for advice, and then call my aunt since parents are away. She has a bunch of cats

Poor thing! Did you call the vet? I wouldn't blame yourself :grouphug:. And she's very pretty!

Don't worry it will be ok my cat has done far worse things than lick a cactus and she's fine. Is their anything your cat really likes so you can entice her back?

I'm sure my cat will lick a cactus in it's lifetime too LOL.
  • Like 1