Cultivated Reef

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

Love that Pearlberry. I just got a little frag yesterday. Mine is pretty white, but the last one I had took a couple months before the tips started turning purple.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thecoralbeauty

Love that Pearlberry. I just got a little frag yesterday. Mine is pretty white, but the last one I had took a couple months before the tips started turning purple.

Im so excited for it!

The bow has been super exciting. I've taken a private lesson and spent a lot of time practicing over the last few weeks. My draw weight has already increased by about 10 pounds, which means my arrows are flying straighter and faster. I keep it in my fishtank room when I'm not using it. I'm thinking about moving my cello in there too, for the humidity... It will be like my hobby room!

Took a few photos the other day at dawn, the boyfriend has been enjoying the fact that I can shoot something with him (guns are a little jarring for me- the noise and the kick just doesn't seem as naturally flowing as archery) We had some fun playing around with the early morning lighting. More to come- but this is a sneak peek.

(Sorry it's not a tank update photo, but nothing has really changed...)

IMG_4868_zpsnh2zkxiw.jpeg

thecoralbeauty

I may have missed it, but did you modify the Ikea shelf in anyway to brace it as a stand? I have the same one, and always wondered if it would work out without modification.

Nope- no modifications. It's been great, because it also slides pretty well on carpet. :)

Im so excited for it!

The bow has been super exciting. I've taken a private lesson and spent a lot of time practicing over the last few weeks. My draw weight has already increased by about 10 pounds, which means my arrows are flying straighter and faster. I keep it in my fishtank room when I'm not using it. I'm thinking about moving my cello in there too, for the humidity... It will be like my hobby room!

Took a few photos the other day at dawn, the boyfriend has been enjoying the fact that I can shoot something with him (guns are a little jarring for me- the noise and the kick just doesn't seem as naturally flowing as archery) We had some fun playing around with the early morning lighting. More to come- but this is a sneak peek.

(Sorry it's not a tank update photo, but nothing has really changed...)

IMG_4868_zpsnh2zkxiw.jpeg

That is so badass,

thecoralbeauty

That is so badass,

Thanks!!

You know what's not badass?

My xenia spreading all over the darn place! They are budding and now I have little sprouts of it on my rock work.

Whats the best way to keep it trimmed and in check?? I love having it on the back wall... but I need to keep it contained there.

Thanks!!

You know what's not badass?

My xenia spreading all over the darn place! They are budding and now I have little sprouts of it on my rock work.

Whats the best way to keep it trimmed and in check?? I love having it on the back wall... but I need to keep it contained there.

Haha theres no stopping it!!! :o

Maybe mash the sprouts with a toothbrush until they disintegrate? But that may harm the water quality... Dunno!

It would be cool to have a small cube just w/ Xenia and gorgs sticking right up out of the middle and inverts or something.

thecoralbeauty

Wow, thats pretty surprising (considering Ikea quality lol).

Tank looks great, btw.

Thank you! Yea, I was surprised too. But happily so!

Haha theres no stopping it!!! :o

Maybe mash the sprouts with a toothbrush until they disintegrate? But that may harm the water quality... Dunno!

I actually don't know what kind of goop they might give off.

It would be cool to have a small cube just w/ Xenia and gorgs sticking right up out of the middle and inverts or something.

Of course, the solution is always to get another tank :)

I put my xenia in no flow and no light

Considering I can't change the location of my back wall, that's not really a viable option to try... how are yours doing though?

righttirefire

Tank, life, or xenia? Tank is surviving growing slowly. Life is good, and my xenia is behaving along with my palys and gsp. Lowest light and lowest flow

How are you?

thecoralbeauty

Tank, life, or xenia? Tank is surviving growing slowly. Life is good, and my xenia is behaving along with my palys and gsp. Lowest light and lowest flow

How are you?

haha i meant xenia, but since i've been so absent lately- glad you answered all of it!!

didn't you have a few big setbacks a while ago with the tank? and the anemone that walked into a powerhead?

doing well. battling another cold. but overall pretty good. can't wait to be done with grad school either!

righttirefire

No big set backs. Nem, still walking I think it's found a home. Hasn't moved in 3 days, new record for last month. Added some sps and clam. Little rescape.

You better start kissing that boyfriend of your more to build up you immune system! Hope you feel better soon. How are the cats? Still spying on them and locked down there swimming pool?

thecoralbeauty

No big set backs. Nem, still walking I think it's found a home. Hasn't moved in 3 days, new record for last month. Added some sps and clam. Little rescape.

You better start kissing that boyfriend of your more to build up you immune system! Hope you feel better soon. How are the cats? Still spying on them and locked down there swimming pool?

Hah, actually I think this was my boyfriend's fault. He got sick from arresting someone a few weeks ago, and then sure enough a few days later, I've got it. Though he did come to visit me at school and watch me teach a class for an afternoon, so I guess we both could have picked it up from the germ-pool that is my workplace. In any case, I'm saying that he did this to me. lol

My rock flower hasn't moved in months, thank god. But, if i were to do it again, I'd either do a whole tank JUST for nems, or not have a nem at all in my mixed reef. I don't like their wandering tendencies.

Not that I need another tank.

Though, I would really like to upgrade. Maybe if I find a good AIO-type thing in the 40-50g range for a good price, I'll go for it. But mostly, I'm just trying to use my self-control. I'm just worried about the grow-out. Everything is totally steady and I'm seeing steady growth. Only a matter of time and I'll need more space! I don't really have any other coral that I want... I have frags of all my dream stuff and I'm just waiting for them to get bigger.

Orchid Update:

Mini Lava-Burst is in spike!

12009670_10207658866047995_7061589741655

Cats:

Daisy being ridiculous-

11846564_10207350508059238_8509697803796

And throwback to when they were about 4 months old:

11811370_10207350508979261_5132131484120

righttirefire

Built a 40b aio! Dollar a gallon sale is on! Yeah the wandering is entertaining, but a species specific tank would be cool. Just send you flower to me! I want b too start a 5 gallon with goby and candy cane shrimp. Plus flowers

thecoralbeauty

Built a 40b aio! Dollar a gallon sale is on! Yeah the wandering is entertaining, but a species specific tank would be cool. Just send you flower to me! I want b too start a 5 gallon with goby and candy cane shrimp. Plus flowers

If i can get him off of his perch, he's yours.

disclaimer: I've been trying to get him off of that rock for months, though... no luck.

Love the pics w/ your kitties! Interesting, I have so many nems in my 34 and they rarely ever move. However, the one popped off last night and it ended up being horribly stung by a small wellso brain of an inch big. Badly burned. 3/4 of it. So, my nems haven't been the problem, it's just when they have run into something.

thecoralbeauty

Love the pics w/ your kitties! Interesting, I have so many nems in my 34 and they rarely ever move. However, the one popped off last night and it ended up being horribly stung by a small wellso brain of an inch big. Badly burned. 3/4 of it. So, my nems haven't been the problem, it's just when they have run into something.

Do you ever have problems getting them off of things when you have to take them off? I know you had to move all of yours when you had the dino-exodus and had to totally restart the tank.

I didn't have to take them off, I just moved the entire rocks into the other tanks because that's all they had to begin with was just them. Then just credit card on the bottom to remove those.

righttirefire

My LFS uses the frozen fish food packets. Against the foot to irritate them and get them to release. Why are you trying to move it?

thecoralbeauty

My LFS uses the frozen fish food packets. Against the foot to irritate them and get them to release. Why are you trying to move it?

i ended up just moving the rock so it was acceptable, and have left it be. it was stinging my millepora... and then walked around to the back where i couldn't see it. or feed it. or whatever.

so, now it's on the side, and it's fine. haven't bothered it in a while and it hasn't moved.

Archived