ReefCleaners.org

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

You are going to have so much fun! You will love having a sump. I remember when I made the leap and I doubt I will ever go back. (Well maybe when I am a little old lady living in a small apartment and I need my cabinet space for fish supplies). You can have such a clean uncluttered tank since there is a hidden place for equipment.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thecoralbeauty

sorry! working on it.

while i was feeding tonight i noticed all the tiny little nassarious snails i have and feather dusters in my sand bed. whats the best way to preserve those in the transfer??

i think ill need more sand. ill see where we are at after i add the sand from the fluval edge where my nonphotosynthetics are right now... but im guessing ill need more than that still.

plus- i want to keep all the awesome little critters i have currently! ugh, ive never transfered before...

Morgan, when I transferred my nassarius snails, when all the coral and rock were out I just ran my hands through the sand feeling for them. As I found them I moved them to a bucket with clean salt water. I washed my old sand with saltwater to preserve as much fauna as possible also.

thecoralbeauty

They're so tiny! worried I will miss them- they're less than an 8th of my pinky nail in size. Guess i'll just keep feeling around for a while haha

Those sand snails are tough. When I transfer I purposely let the old tank run for a while to I can pick them off at night and get the little devils moved. :) Nice pics, thanks!

They're so tiny! worried I will miss them- they're less than an 8th of my pinky nail in size. Guess i'll just keep feeling around for a while haha

My idea (when just sand is remaining):

Turn off all flow

Put a cube of mysis on a plastic disk

Watch all the critters climb onto disk

Dance

Move critters

??????

Profit

thecoralbeauty

so- it will be here tomorrow or monday. EEEEP!

i'm really hoping for tomorrow. that would mean i could mess with it THIS weekend and have a solid excuse to not do the whole halloween thing!

thecoralbeauty

So um... new thread?

Yea- called Anthrax n' Gangs? hah.

I will as soon as it's delivered, and then update the combination/switch over from that thread

thecoralbeauty

had a thought while i was teaching today- what if i vacuumed out the sand into the bigger tank (in addition to adding new sand) before i transfer everything?

So, set up big tank, fill partially with new sand, vacuum old sand from other tanks in as well, let things settle and run a few days, then transfer the rest. Maybe i'll keep my good fauna that way.

It's being delivered Sunday. so very excited!

In other news, it's national cat day.

If you're a business you can call the denver dumb friends league and have uber deliver thirty cats for 15 minutes of cuddling between 11:00 and 3:00 for a $30 donation.

had a thought while i was teaching today- what if i vacuumed out the sand into the bigger tank (in addition to adding new sand) before i transfer everything?

So, set up big tank, fill partially with new sand, vacuum old sand from other tanks in as well, let things settle and run a few days, then transfer the rest. Maybe i'll keep my good fauna that way.

It's being delivered Sunday. so very excited!

In other news, it's national cat day.

If you're a business you can call the denver dumb friends league and have uber deliver thirty cats for 15 minutes of cuddling between 11:00 and 3:00 for a $30 donation.

More like vaccum into a bucket and then pour the bucket into the new tank. That sounds good!

(You need the container to be below the sand to make a siphon start)

Can do this in Chicago too... Except I found out after 3pm... :tears:

Flow Question:

I have two Koralia 420's? (I think?) and one MP10. Will this be enough flow??

Do I need to get a MP40???

Wretched has the same tank I'm getting and runs just one RW8 off the back wall. So I'm actually just going to run one MP40 off the back wall. I think you'll be ok with the two koralias and one MP10.

thecoralbeauty

I have it cranked in the 20L right now... 70ish percent?? I guess I'll also have the return heads though...

Guess I should wait and see.

I have it cranked in the 20L right now... 70ish percent?? I guess I'll also have the return heads though...

Guess I should wait and see.

Yeah, I'd wait and see. With the return loc lines pointed to the sides and flow coming off the back, I think it will be enough. But then again, what the heck do I know?? :lol: I really shouldn't be advising anything since 1. I don't even have my tank set up yet and 2. I've not had a tank over 29 gallons :)

thecoralbeauty

Yeah, I'd wait and see. With the return loc lines pointed to the sides and flow coming off the back, I think it will be enough. But then again, what the heck do I know?? :lol: I really shouldn't be advising anything since 1. I don't even have my tank set up yet and 2. I've not had a tank over 29 gallons :)

harry- you have your 45. what do you do? you have an mp40 right?

Archived