inTank Media Baskets

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

I think it's $5.00 to get in and you get a free frag- not that I'll take it though- I'll be looking for something a little more unique - hopefully there will be a good SPS selection- Gonzo's from Ft. Collins usually has some nice pieces

but his stuff is SO OVERPRICED!

i didn't end up going. i was helping my dad pick out a compound bow in the morning and then had a freezer party last night with some friends from work.

Poked around aquatic art while we were over at the archery range (the place i go is literally across the street from AA)- still don't know what I want in terms of an upgrade.

I really was hoping I could find something that was All-In-One and also at least 32 inches wide so I could use my existing 20L as the refugium (keep xenia in there, cycled already, good pod population in the sand bed to help seed the display tank, etc etc.)

I want to stay between 40 and 50 gal though and i can't go too wide or else my radion won't be able to reach the corners.

sigh. i might as well give it up. lol

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thecoralbeauty

Why not just go w/ a Petco 40g $1 sale the next go around and make it really cheap. Like I did and sooo many others do.

most because I want a sump and don't want to do my own plumbing for the overflow box, etc etc... and I have no idea what I would do for a stand.

good idea though.. hm.

most because I want a sump and don't want to do my own plumbing for the overflow box, etc etc... and I have no idea what I would do for a stand.

good idea though.. hm.

I did my own plumbing with flex tubing and that is not too bad. You do not have to be as precise as hard plumbing to get everything to line up perfect. My tank also has an overflow box and that was not an issue at all.

thecoralbeauty

I did my own plumbing with flex tubing and that is not too bad. You do not have to be as precise as hard plumbing to get everything to line up perfect. My tank also has an overflow box and that was not an issue at all.

hm, well, it's an idea. I also saw (thanks to harry) that SCA is having a sale, and I know there is a similar 40-50gal cube at my LFS. I think i'll swing by and compare prices this afternoon.

hm, well, it's an idea. I also saw (thanks to harry) that SCA is having a sale, and I know there is a similar 40-50gal cube at my LFS. I think i'll swing by and compare prices this afternoon.

Keep in mind that SCA is starfire glass, comes with a great skimmer (I'm guessing about $180 retail) and has free shipping for limited time.

jedimasterben

Plumbing is really one of the easiest parts of setting up a tank. It seems like it is daunting, but it really isn't. Drain to sump, return pump to return line, a few fittings here and there, and you're done. FlexPVC is great stuff.

thecoralbeauty

Plumbing is really one of the easiest parts of setting up a tank. It seems like it is daunting, but it really isn't. Drain to sump, return pump to return line, a few fittings here and there, and you're done. FlexPVC is great stuff.

I'm mostly concerned with horror stories I've heard of overflow boxes... and the stand issue.

jedimasterben

I'm mostly concerned with horror stories I've heard of overflow boxes... and the stand issue.

The overflow box really is nothing. Just a piece of plastic to put a bulkhead or two in. Boom, done. :D

thecoralbeauty

So, I think I'm ready to upgrade to the SCA tanks that are on sale. I'm looking at the pnp models, but I can't decide between the 40, 45, or 50 gallon. My plan is to consolidate both tanks into this one big one... slowly. (needs to cycle, etc).

Ideas? Rationale? Not sure how long the sale is lasting, but was thinking I'd order sometime this week. My shoulder is out from shooting too much, so I need to take advantage of all that range time and start building this "forever" tank :)

So, I think I'm ready to upgrade to the SCA tanks that are on sale. I'm looking at the pnp models, but I can't decide between the 40, 45, or 50 gallon. My plan is to consolidate both tanks into this one big one... slowly. (needs to cycle, etc).

Ideas? Rationale? Not sure how long the sale is lasting, but was thinking I'd order sometime this week. My shoulder is out from shooting too much, so I need to take advantage of all that range time and start building this "forever" tank :)

Go big or go home! Haha

Whatever dimensions you like most I guess, but for a small difference in $$ it might be worth it. You don't want to run out of room in a year!

+1 to what Jedi said.. If you transfer the LR, media, and use live sand there won't be a cycle (no die off)

:happydance: EXCITING!!!!!

Morgan, if you use the same rock, sand and some of the same water you will only have a minimal or no cycle that can be dealt with by changing water. That's what I did with the seahorse tank when I tore down the 36g reef and moved the seahorses in it. I believe I would have had no cycle except I added some new sand and did not use much of the old sand. I didn't lose any livestock.

jedimasterben

Morgan, if you use the same rock, sand and some of the same water you will only have a minimal or no cycle that can be dealt with by changing water.

That is actually incorrect. Water changes are, by far, the poorest option for nutrient export possible unless the water changes are frequent and large (50% minimum).

For example, in a 50 gallon total volume system, if ammonia is 1.0ppm, a 5 gallon water change (10%) will leave ammonia at 0.9ppm given that the water change water contains zero ammonia (most contain some). The difference in toxicity between 0.9ppm and 1.0ppm ammonia should be negligible.

In contrast, dosing a small additive such as Seachem Prime, Aquavitro Alpha, or Amquel will immediately oxidize the ammonia to nitrate, taking ammonia from 1.0ppm to 0ppm.

thecoralbeauty

That is actually incorrect. Water changes are, by far, the poorest option for nutrient export possible unless the water changes are frequent and large (50% minimum).

For example, in a 50 gallon total volume system, if ammonia is 1.0ppm, a 5 gallon water change (10%) will leave ammonia at 0.9ppm given that the water change water contains zero ammonia (most contain some). The difference in toxicity between 0.9ppm and 1.0ppm ammonia should be negligible.

In contrast, dosing a small additive such as Seachem Prime, Aquavitro Alpha, or Amquel will immediately oxidize the ammonia to nitrate, taking ammonia from 1.0ppm to 0ppm.

I'm actually combining two tanks- this one and my small 6gal non-photosynthetic. My thought was, yes, I have an established biofilter in my live rock and live sand (the 20 gal has been set up over a year and is pretty rich in pods) however- I wanted to ensure that combining both of those ecosystems wouldn't result in any backlash from probable die-off in the adjustment period. I'll also have to add more new "live sand" and rock in order to aquascape the way that I want (though i want to keep the same/similar aquascape if possible- i know i have more vertical and front-to-back space to fill as well)

My idea was to get this tank set up, wet, and get the aquascape started (at least a little- at least with the new sand and rock) and then move things over-. I'll also have to order a cover and plan/research what additional fish I want. That will provide some time for things to run a while on their own (helps check for leaks or other issues that may not present themselves immediately) Then, when all is settled in (as much as possible, anyway) transfer the rest.

Maybe i'm being too cautious though. Ive just never had anything this fancy!

and 50, then??

Just get some Dr. Tim's bacteria stuff in a bottle. You'll be fine!

Those are nice tanks! Just checked them out. Personally I'd go for the 45g. I like the dimensions best. Cubes are kinda hard to aquascape in my experience and having less length "might" help with that. But either way go for the 45 or 50 LOL. The price difference isn't much at all :).

Yes, I did not think to include it but I also dosed an additive, Seachem stability to boost the beneficial bacteria population. Thanks for thinking of that.
jedimasterben

I'm actually combining two tanks- this one and my small 6gal non-photosynthetic. My thought was, yes, I have an established biofilter in my live rock and live sand (the 20 gal has been set up over a year and is pretty rich in pods) however- I wanted to ensure that combining both of those ecosystems wouldn't result in any backlash from probable die-off in the adjustment period. I'll also have to add more new "live sand" and rock in order to aquascape the way that I want (though i want to keep the same/similar aquascape if possible- i know i have more vertical and front-to-back space to fill as well)

My idea was to get this tank set up, wet, and get the aquascape started (at least a little- at least with the new sand and rock) and then move things over-. I'll also have to order a cover and plan/research what additional fish I want. That will provide some time for things to run a while on their own (helps check for leaks or other issues that may not present themselves immediately) Then, when all is settled in (as much as possible, anyway) transfer the rest.

and 50, then??

Definitely not bad to be cautious about changes in this hobby, but this is one that is usually made to be a much bigger ado than it actually is. Biological filtration builds up almost exponentially, so any lapse you'd have would be corrected in very short order as the different species multiply to take up the new 'real estate'. :)

and 50, then??

There is the added benefit of being able to take more time with the aqua scaping when doing it more slowly.

When I switched tanks for the seahorses, I was forced to do the aquascape on the fly since I was moving the new tank in the spot where the old tank more or less was. That necessitated tearing one tank down completely, then tearing the other tank down completely and moving/reassembling the tank I was keeping. It worked out ok for me even though I have seahorses that are sensitive to ammonia. It probably is not the choice I would have chosen if I had had another option.

thecoralbeauty

So, Stella helped me figure out the difference in length and width- now i'm leaning towards the 40.

that still affords me room for more fish and it's comparable to the space i have taken up in the room with the 20L currently.

now to just pull the trigger...

Archived