ReefCleaners.org

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

That's incredible xenia growth!!!!! What exactly does the star do? Eats the detritus? Or any diatoms/cyano?

detritus, and unsure about the diatoms/cyano but he definitely helps to keep the sand moving and stirred so it's harder for things like cyano and diatoms to form. he actually moves pretty fast. i have some diatoms occasionally but i haven't ever had any cyano in this tank yet... and barley any before in my tanks from college.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

detritus, and unsure about the diatoms/cyano but he definitely helps to keep the sand moving and stirred so it's harder for things like cyano and diatoms to form. he actually moves pretty fast. i have some diatoms occasionally but i haven't ever had any cyano in this tank yet... and barley any before in my tanks from college.

Sounds like a great addition :). Do they climb the glass at all?
thecoralbeauty

Sounds like a great addition :). Do they climb the glass at all?

yep! mostly at night though.

Xenia on steroids. Damn! That just looks like it really moved fast after a week.

well, it got heavy, fell, and i moved the fallen chunk.

thecoralbeauty

Finally got the alk dialed in. phew! what a headache...

bought another peppermint shrimp... the first one is slacking on the aptasia growth. he's eaten a few. but there is much work to do!

wanted pearl berry.... but they had no new frags. and so we wait.

finally caved and ordered a frag rack. poor little birds nest pieces are getting tired of being pushed around.

• 5 weeks later...
righttirefire

I assume the cats have her tied up or the kids at school are torturing the teacher... she may just be rocking back and forth with a whiskey bottle in her hand and cats in her lap staring at the fishes and corals.

thecoralbeauty

I assume the cats have her tied up or the kids at school are torturing the teacher... she may just be rocking back and forth with a whiskey bottle in her hand and cats in her lap staring at the fishes and corals.

haha basically.

school has been in session 3 weeks though and I've yet to have a migraine. so, there's that!

Just been pretty busy with friends and new boyfriend and all that school/grad school stuff. Im also getting back into playing my cello and while it's coming back quickly, it does, like everything else, take a ton of practice.

shout out to harry for keeping me in the loop with frag photos and a text this morning reminding me to update!!

Things are going pretty well. Doser is dialed in. I'm thinking of picking up the jack-o-lantern this week (finally he has some!) and i've only had one loss in all this time. the red dragon bleached out over the course of 2 days that i was in glenwood springs last weekend. was super healthy and happy when i left saturday afternoon. when i came back monday night it was totally white. (GRR RTN!) but, i've heard that one is finicky so i'm trying not to take it personally. the guy I got it from had troubles with his huge colony of it. I left the frag in there for the time being until I can put another pretty stick in it's place.

The LA lakers monti had a white spot on him but it's totally gone away (no idea what that's was about but i'm happy!)

the auto-top off is also kind of pissing me off. it's not exactly reliable, but it MOSTLY does it's job. good thing i don't go out of town much.

cats are good. got a bath yesterday. have since stopped plotting to kill me.

Missed all you on here! I have a TON of catching up to do!!

Photos and video!! (Look how big the baby plate is!!)

FullSizeRender_zpsp7qzexlg.jpg

righttirefire

I tried catching up after a busy 3 weeks... took 6 weeks to catch up... Kat and Harry have a lot of activity to catch up on. Good luck. Glad all is well

I tried catching up after a busy 3 weeks... took 6 weeks to catch up... Kat and Harry have a lot of activity to catch up on. Good luck. Glad all is well

Naa I'm boring. Smooth sailing (or reefing?), just watching s*** grow :), and trying to "refine" my collection with some cool corals

The pulsating xenia has just exploded!

Not always good thing if in mixed tank. Most time when Xenia growing good sps won't do good. Xenia loves dirty water to feed off.

So glad to see an update! Glad life is good and keeping you busy in good ways. Tank looks great! My Red Planet did the same thing. I might have saved two half inch tips. Only time will tell. Your clams look wonderful, the blue on the maxima is amazing, xenia is huge! Slimers are getting tall and the baby plate is growing so well!

thecoralbeauty

Thank you for all the compliments, guys!! It definitely seems bigger than a 20L, i'm just happy to watch things grow and fill out right now :)

Not always good thing if in mixed tank. Most time when Xenia growing good sps won't do good. Xenia loves dirty water to feed off.

you know, i hear this all the time, but in every big SPS display tank i've seen, there's xenia growing like weeds in the nooks and crannies. SPS all seems great (minus the red dragon) so i'm not too concerned. the variety that i have seems to react more to iodide levels and good light than anything else :)

thecoralbeauty

New FTS!

12009584_10207643212576668_6141030390434

AND I FINALLY FINISHED MY WISH LIST!

Look at the haul:

Jack-o-lantern lepto:

11990601_10207643000211359_7668653640566

Mustard-peach colored mille:

11219677_10207643000491366_8021286870200

Pearlberry: (Finally! it looks way purple but it's actually more teal. my lights were going more actinic at that point in the evening, though)

12006164_10207643001171383_2810727652073

thecoralbeauty

Nice haul! And nice short & curly hair haha :)

it's the weirdest feeling!! i should just stop cutting it and get back to as long as it used to be. haha

i was looking at photos from july 12th- the FTS i have... damn. my xenia's have gone wild.

does anyone want any?? i'm going to have to start trimming!

Tank looks wonderful. The xenia is very pretty all over the back of the tank. It really grew fast.

Nice new corals! So much fun making a list, doing the research, choosing where they will all go and dreaming of what they will look like all grown out! It looks like a lot of us went shopping!

Nice video. I got a chuckle from the shy clam that shut just as the camera was panning past it! I like the xenia on the back wall and I think its a great effect. I guess it would be a problem if it moved from there though. My son is a teacher and he has been busy with the start of school too, and he doesn't even play the cello, LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
thecoralbeauty

So, the tank is still chugging right along. Things are growing, automation is running smoothly, things are fat and happy and eating! Life is good. Soon I'll need a new tank... things are getting so big! This is an awesome feeling now that I own everything I've ever had on my wish list... haha the boyfriend's family has a HUGE 100+ gallon tank sitting in the garage that they keep taunting me with... but that's not feasible in my condo. I keep telling him though, if we ever go to buy a house, he needs to plan for that kind of space for my reef! haha

No photo updates, but did want to make note of my water change routine- I've been going about 4-5 weeks between changes, but might switch to closer to 2-3 weeks. I dose more Ca and Alk with IO instead of reef crystals, but I appreciate the consistency of not having to fiddle with things.

I also recently picked up a new hobby, archery... So that, combined with teaching, and grad school, I feel like I have a somewhat valid excuse for being more absent than usual.

Here's my bow. Purple, of course. I'm picking up a new stabilizer today, the stock one doesn't really help me much, the bow is so light I needed more weight on that to keep my arm from wobbling during the follow through. I also ordered a different release since that photo was taken. Really enjoying having something else since I haven't gotten to play polo in so long. Also, who knows, one day maybe I can target shoot my arrows while riding my horse!!

12032102_10207685347950026_2454610224060

12002145_10207685347510015_9075252315554

Archived