Pod Your Reef

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

Shit, is she okay? She didn't cut herself did she?

Well, she's sitting there for the heat. A canopy, even temporarily is probably something that could deter her from getting to the light.

On second thought, now you can have a non-glass lid which will help your gas exchange.

yea. i'll see what they have in terms of mesh options.... it may end up being a DIY thing in which case i'll just get a replacement glass lid for the meantime.

she's fine. no cuts. just complaining that she got wet. tempted to throw her in the bathtub but she seems to have licked the salt off just fine.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Automation.

Apex for tank automation, and you can use it when you upgrade, you can use it for multiple tanks, great investment IMO.

A pellet gun hooked up to the Apex to shoot the damn cat. (sorry, I know you love cats, just kidding).

For dosing the Bubble Magus has been very reliable for me.

thecoralbeauty

Automation.

Apex for tank automation, and you can use it when you upgrade, you can use it for multiple tanks, great investment IMO.

A pellet gun hooked up to the Apex to shoot the damn cat. (sorry, I know you love cats, just kidding).

For dosing the Bubble Magus has been very reliable for me.

i just ordered the tunze auto top off and the jebao 4-channel doser today. should be here soon

haha, i love her, but the first words out of my mouth were "i hope you don't like your skin, you're about to lose it"

she just blinked at me like "sure mom, you wouldn't"

i love how duke walks in and just stares at her like "what did you do now...?"

jamescstein

unfortunately though, it was the pink birds nest and it's in a million pieces. it had grown so much, too.

Sounds to me like an involuntary fragging.

i just ordered the tunze auto top off and the jebao 4-channel doser today. should be here soon

haha, i love her, but the first words out of my mouth were "i hope you don't like your skin, you're about to lose it"

she just blinked at me like "sure mom, you wouldn't"

i love how duke walks in and just stares at her like "what did you do now...?"

That was funny! I saw him walk in and was thinking "oh boy! Double trouble". Mac, our brown tabby, IS A HUGE PITA but I love him. I've never had a cat that gets himself into such precarious situations before. He's shut himself in the liquor cabinet - thought we had ghosts when I heard stuff moving around and couldn't find the source. He WALKS on the banister at the top of our stairs - and he is not graceful. He's fallen off that when I couldn't catch him and was completely fine after falling a story and a half. He JUMPS on the backs of the 75 lb dogs when they're sleeping- and has survived unscathed. He fell off a balcony onto my head at one point - scared the crap out of me. He has TRIED to jump into the tank when I was gluing frags. OH, and he somehow got INTO the walls in our basement. That was a fun one to figure out. That cat will be the death of me.

HarryPotter

So that happened.

Birdsnest is totally demolished but other than that, no losses.

will need to come up with a better solution to keep them off. ideas? My first is to move the tank to the other wall so they can't jump on it so well in the first place. and then try to keep them out of the room in general.

sorry haven't been on or very active. I've got a horrible cold.

That video is insane Morgan. Sent it to Nest!!! They'll love it.

That stinks.. Maybe the duck tape like Ben suggested or some sort of nontoxic spray on the stand?

That was funny! I saw him walk in and was thinking "oh boy! Double trouble". Mac, our brown tabby, IS A HUGE PITA but I love him. I've never had a cat that gets himself into such precarious situations before. He's shut himself in the liquor cabinet - thought we had ghosts when I heard stuff moving around and couldn't find the source. He WALKS on the banister at the top of our stairs - and he is not graceful. He's fallen off that when I couldn't catch him and was completely fine after falling a story and a half. He JUMPS on the backs of the 75 lb dogs when they're sleeping- and has survived unscathed. He fell off a balcony onto my head at one point - scared the crap out of me. He has TRIED to jump into the tank when I was gluing frags. OH, and he somehow got INTO the walls in our basement. That was a fun one to figure out. That cat will be the death of me.

When I brought my cat home, the first thing he did was get stuck between the couch and the wall... :rolleyes:

When I brought my cat home, the first thing he did was get stuck between the couch and the wall... :rolleyes:

It is crazy what cats can get themselves into!

thecoralbeauty

Problem solving:

so i went to petco. broke some more glass. cut myself. it was dramatic. but now the glass canopy is fixed (replaced the glass panel) and it looks as it did before.

I also found out that the new stand slides nicely- so i moved the tank back over to the original wall (opposite my desk) so the cats have no way to jump up on it in the first place. it should help (at least until i can switch from the glass canopy)

I'm expecting the doser and ATO by Friday. When they come in and i install them, i'll know what kind of footprint they make at the top back of the tank. I picked up a THICK, heavy mesh top for 20L reptile terrariums, and I think it will be perfect for my tank. Once I have the ATO and Doser in place, I'll know how to cut/modify the mesh top to fit around them, the light, and the HOB filter. I'm excited for what this will do to improve my gas exchange as well.

Then i'll have a mesh top which is a much better permanent solution. Then, even if the cats get on top of it, it will just bend, not shatter. B)

....still mourning the pink birdsnest... :unsure:

thecoralbeauty

Unfortunately the metal top will rust being near the water. :/

i had that thought too, but it's painted, so i was hoping it might help a bit.

thecoralbeauty

oh, also grabbed some epoxy to make a clam hammock (its currently curing before i put it in the tank under the clam)- one of my crocea's keeps getting bulldozed by the sand sifting star.

does the paint actually help prevent the rust? i was planning on using nail polish over the open, rough ends after i cut it.

HarryPotter

Put the crocea up in the live rock. He'll be happier there.

I actually did that a few days with both my croceas after Kat's recommendation and doing research. They immediately attached their feet and look better than I've ever seen them- their mantles so extended that initially I was concerned!

Wow! I go away for the day and come home to see this! And I thought my life had a lot of moments in it! Glad you came up with a temperary fix to it all. Sorry you got hurt. Glass is dangerous stuff for sure. With four children with CP in my home, they break a lot of it! Dishes that is.

So sorry about the birdsnest. I loved that piece and was loving watching it grow so fast. They are one of my faves.

I put a reptile screen over my sons water turtle tank years ago and just set the lights on it. It was not very long at all and it rusted to pieces. It was not even salt water so it might not work very well for long for you.

Well that gave me a heart attack. Phew, could've been much worse w/ light in tank, electrocution. Gee Whiz! Glad no further casualties.

Of course cat is probably thinking....I just wasn't balanced right.

Oh my gosh, that was so horrible and funny at the same time! I love how cat #2 comes in and is all like "now what? seriously? I can't leave you alone for five minutes?"

thecoralbeauty

Wow! I go away for the day and come home to see this! And I thought my life had a lot of moments in it! Glad you came up with a temperary fix to it all. Sorry you got hurt. Glass is dangerous stuff for sure. With four children with CP in my home, they break a lot of it! Dishes that is.

So sorry about the birdsnest. I loved that piece and was loving watching it grow so fast. They are one of my faves.

I put a reptile screen over my sons water turtle tank years ago and just set the lights on it. It was not very long at all and it rusted to pieces. It was not even salt water so it might not work very well for long for you.

i'm hoping the paint on the screen will help with the rust issue. when i go to cut it, i'll use nail polish to try to seal the rough edges. it's possible if it becomes an issue i can see if i can find some aluminum screen, or just use egg crate, but that stuff makes me so nervous about jumping fish.

what are the most popular top materials?

Put the crocea up in the live rock. He'll be happier there.

ultimately i will do that, but until then, he's happy in his hammock. hasn't gotten knocked over once! i'm holding off allowing them to attach to the rocks because i'll never get them off. i need to finish the last of my shopping (well, now replacing) list and then see where a good spot may be.

thecoralbeauty

Do you mean like for making a screen top? BRS sells a great screen material.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/clear-netting.html

Wow..that video :o. I'm glad she wasn't hurt! Did the glass just crack in the middle? So scary!

Yep, fortunately there weren't many shards of it in the tank. It was pretty scary and I'm glad the cat and the tank weren't hurt as badly as they could have been.

Since it's been on the other wall, they've stayed off.

Ahh! Thanks for the link. If this painted grate thing doesn't work out, that's the way i'll go.

The ATO arrives tomorrow and the Doser arrives next week.

Still thinking about fish to add. With so many clams, I worry I'm light on my bio-load and need to get the tank dirtier with more poop! I have the hi-fin goby with my candy-stripe pistol, the neon blue goby, and the lubbock's wrasse.

Really leaning towards the midas blenny. or maybe another wrasse. so many choices.

HarryPotter

Yep, fortunately there weren't many shards of it in the tank. It was pretty scary and I'm glad the cat and the tank weren't hurt as badly as they could have been.

Since it's been on the other wall, they've stayed off.

Ahh! Thanks for the link. If this painted grate thing doesn't work out, that's the way i'll go.

The ATO arrives tomorrow and the Doser arrives next week.

Still thinking about fish to add. With so many clams, I worry I'm light on my bio-load and need to get the tank dirtier with more poop! I have the hi-fin goby with my candy-stripe pistol, the neon blue goby, and the lubbock's wrasse.

Really leaning towards the midas blenny. or maybe another wrasse. so many choices.

Feed heavily, export heavily!

8442A7CC-DB3B-4383-ABB1-A6380118F2E1_zps

This is terrible sorry that happened !!! there is a guy on here his name is SMIZ he does custom mesh tops for tanks send him a message and see what he can do for you.

Archived