Cultivated Reef

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

No you arn't.. I have to move things all the time. To much flow...to little flow. To much light, not enought light. A RFA getting to close. I placed one close to something that is stinging it........ I stoped using epoxy and now just use locktite glue gel, so I can crack them off easier and move them when I need to. I keep several things of it around all the time now. It seems I need to move something every week at water change time.

Cant wait to see it all set up on the new stand. :)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so, the sunset monti and the lakers monti are both encrusted so I didn't move/separate them. I wish I could.

Tempted to go in with a flat head screwdriver and a hammer and chisel the sunset monti off so I can place him lower..... but i'm not sure if thats the best way to do it.

Are the montis attached to plugs? If it were me, I'd take some pliers (I have stony coral cutters) and snip the whole thing off and just scrape away the encrusted part on the rock. Those encrusting montis are VERY aggressive and will definitely take over.

thecoralbeauty

No you arn't.. I have to move things all the time. To much flow...to little flow. To much light, not enought light. A RFA getting to close. I placed one close to something that is stinging it........ I stoped using epoxy and now just use locktite glue gel, so I can crack them off easier and move them when I need to. I keep several things of it around all the time now. It seems I need to move something every week at water change time.

Cant wait to see it all set up on the new stand. :)

yes, this is true. but, i try to keep things in a forever home as much as possible when i glue them to limit the drama for the little guys as much as I can. And this was entirely my own fault, not some unforeseen coral issue. things grow. this one encrusts as it grows and i should have considered where that encrusting would happen! haha. nothing to do now except dremel it off and make a better choice...

but with my luck, even if i chose wisely, my obstinate RFA might come out of hiding and walk on top of it, haha!

Speaking of tank drama, bumped the lights down 10%, still on 14k because I noticed the birds nest getting a little bit bleached- which is odd because i only moved him up about a 1/4 inch when i accidentally broke him off his frag plug re-arranging last week. hm. SPS are finicky things and so i don't like moving them as it is!

Are the montis attached to plugs? If it were me, I'd take some pliers (I have stony coral cutters) and snip the whole thing off and just scrape away the encrusted part on the rock. Those encrusting montis are VERY aggressive and will definitely take over.

the sunset one is not, but i can maybe dremel off most of the frag and then scrape the remaining.

thecoralbeauty

So, tonight's the transfer night! Draining all the water I can, moving the tank onto the new stand, pumping it back in.

Not super excited to tick everything off, but it's the only way I can get the weight down enough to feel comfortable moving it and not risk a crack/leak issue.

Things shouldn't be out of water TOO long.

:wacko:

Will update with photos of the tank on the new stand once the process is complete.

So, tonight's the transfer night! Draining all the water I can, moving the tank onto the new stand, pumping it back in.

Not super excited to tick everything off, but it's the only way I can get the weight down enough to feel comfortable moving it and not risk a crack/leak issue.

Will update with photos of the tank on the new stand once the process is complete.

Can't wait to see! Good luck mwhitelock :D
thecoralbeauty

here's another thing I've been thinking about- should i saw off the sunset monti while the water is out anyway?? i picked up a cheap demel (thanks StellaBlue!)

here's another thing I've been thinking about- should i saw off the sunset monti while the water is out anyway?? i picked up a cheap demel (thanks StellaBlue!)

I would. I mean why not since the water is down.

Will be thinking of you and your transfer. Hope all goes well for you. I would dremel it off while the water is out. Cant wait to see it all set up and purdy!

thecoralbeauty

Definitely do it when the water is down :). Can't wait to see it all completed :happydance:.

Will be thinking of you and your transfer. Hope all goes well for you. I would dremel it off while the water is out. Cant wait to see it all set up and purdy!

I guess it saves me taking that rock out- its one of the foundation rocks on the left island..

I can relate. There would have to be something terrible for me to move my base rockwork. Once I get something the way I like it, If I shift it even a little, it never looks right again. Also, I would worry about the corals attached on it. Hope it comes off quickly and easily for you.

thecoralbeauty

It actually was quick and painless. And, I was able to pry the sunset monti off (there was a strategic hole in the rock that it hadn't encrusted onto) without using the dremel! woohoo!

New Placement on Stand:

IMG_3417_zpsmukilzjb.jpg

New Monti Placement:

IMG_3412_zpslnsvuknr.jpg

thecoralbeauty

Perfect placement. Glad it was painless.

yep. drained about 13 gallons out (just enough water to keep clams covered and leave room for fishies) and just grabbed one end while my dad grabbed the other and we slid it onto the new stand. then pumped the water back in.

worst part was when dad went to answer his phone and let go of the hose we were using to pump water back in and sprayed us all. haha

It actually was quick and painless. And, I was able to pry the sunset monti off (there was a strategic hole in the rock that it hadn't encrusted onto) without using the dremel! woohoo!

New Placement on Stand:

IMG_3417_zpsmukilzjb.jpg

New Monti Placement:

IMG_3412_zpslnsvuknr.jpg

Well done.:)
HarryPotter

That stand looks awesome!

Not exposing the clams to air was really smart. Technically they can be for a while, but it's a PITA to burp so many times and the risk isn't worth it IMO.

Also congratulations on transferring the Montipora successfully! :-)

thecoralbeauty

Yes! Me too!

Today i'm going to the LFS to pick up a peppermint shrimp for the aptasia problem. dad wants to tag along which means i'll probably end up with another frag that he likes lol

i'm really enjoying the tank being over here on this wall next to the desk. much more convenient. things are pretty happy today, too. snail knocked over the monti so i'll have to re-glue but I'm holding off until this afternoon when my hands will be in the tank anyway for the shrimp addition.

unfortunately the tank is more convenient for the cats, too, now. woke up to a motion notification on my phone at about 4 am from the camera. opened it, saw this:

IMG_3420.PNG-1_zpstxjtxmz1.png

Archived