Innovative Marine Aquariums

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would imagine so. I hope to get as fancy as some of you reefers one day. I guess for the time being I'll just keep dreaming.

thecoralbeauty

Params:

alk- 7.6 (Since i was at 10.9 three days ago, i'm estimating i go through a drop of about 1.1 a day)

ca- 450

mg- 1230-1200 (dropper slipped out of my hand)

Dosing notes:

Mg: 1tsp

Alk: 2tsp

ca: .5tsp

so, im in the southern area of denver, but i work in the main denver public schools district across town (next to the broncos stadium, etc). generally denver is a lot warmer than boulder and colorado springs and many cities on the western slope (glenwood springs, grand junction, etc), as we are farther away from the mountains. i know many folks from chicago who have moved to denver (like 5 within my school's staff, actually) that prefer denver over chicago due to the dry winters we have here- it doesn't get "wet" cold. yea, we'll have some low temperatures, but with the low humidity at this altitude, it doesn't feel as oppressively cold. usually the snow isn't as wet and the powder is easier to shovel. Also, i think the biggest thing i hear comments on is how many days of sun we have. even in the dead of winter, it'll snow part of the day, and be sunny the rest. i think we average 300 sunny days a year, so that's a huge bonus. and you can't beat the mountains.

That's funny my friend bought a Toyota from John Elways dealership not sure if was in Denver but he was at the dealership and signed his glove box for him!

That's going back a few years..

Your tank looks great..

thecoralbeauty

PhotoDump!!

Zoa Garden:

IMG_3318_zpsaicwapod.jpg

Goni's and Plates:

IMG_3317_zpsoracx44v.jpg

Montipora Collection:

IMG_3316_zpswmwdxuht.jpg

Maxima Clam:

IMG_3315_zpsbmk8ikrg.jpg

Right Side:

IMG_3314_zpsqzoparxx.jpg

Left Side:

IMG_3313_zps1ectatzz.jpg

Full Tank:

IMG_3311_zpsezpwr6as.jpg

HarryPotter

I'm hoping they all mush together when they encrust it!

That yellow monti is incredible! Do you happen to know the name?

I remember seeing so much yellow when I snorkeled at Pennekamp sanctuary. I loved it. And I saw many yellow encrustinging ones so I wonder if they were montis.

jedimasterben

I'm hoping they all mush together when they encrust it!

They may fight when they get together - some of them are different species. :(

thecoralbeauty

They may fight when they get together - some of them are different species. :(

good to know, then i'll move them now so they won't... how does one know?

thecoralbeauty

Ok so I poked around, and the common consensus is that they generally just stop and leave each other alone, or in some cases grow over the top of the other.

I could still move them (or at least one or two) so that they aren't competing for so much space. tempted to do that... but not sure where to put. sigh!!

HarryPotter

Ok so I poked around, and the common consensus is that they generally just stop and leave each other alone, or in some cases grow over the top of the other.

I could still move them (or at least one or two) so that they aren't competing for so much space. tempted to do that... but not sure where to put. sigh!!

Shoot I didn't know that either. Ill have to research the encrusting corals and their compatibility.

The slimer on the top left, is it attached? It needs to be upright then it will grow tall and branchy and look stunning in the tank. That leaves the rest of that rock open for some placement of montis.

The palythoa rock also has some exposed area for a monti.

So does the rock behind the gonioporas. Gonis will sting everything around them so make sure the monti if you put it there isn't too close.

HTH.

thecoralbeauty

The slimer on the top left, is it attached? It needs to be upright then it will grow tall and branchy and look stunning in the tank. That leaves the rest of that rock open for some placement of montis.

The palythoa rock also has some exposed area for a monti.

So does the rock behind the gonioporas. Gonis will sting everything around them so make sure the monti if you put it there isn't too close.

HTH.

thought about the tinker bell paly rock but don't want them to sting over overtake it either... is that a concern with them?

ya both slimers are attached but I can easily move both around. I could put a few monti's up there, yes. i like that idea :) The thing is with the slimers though, they're mounted sideways on the plugs, so it's a trick to get them to stand directly upright.

i have my baby plate near the goni's (i love how that autocorrects to goons) and I'm trying to give it a good distance haha.

I also was planning on getting rid of the red planet. I wonder if I got rid of that I could move a green slimer piece down there.... hm. or at least move a monti there...

The slimer grows tall so the best placement is midway or higher.

Red planet is a tabling coral so it will grow horizontally once it reaches the light level it likes.

The palys are invasive, keep them from touching the rock behind it, personally I would ditch the whole rock they are on, they can be toxic as well. I'm recently overly worried after Julian Sprung talked about the power of Palythoa at RAP.

An acan echinata or that hammer coral on that rock will not get stung. Maybe even the goni will work on that tinkerbell rock.

Red planet is a tabling coral so it will grow horizontally once it reaches the light level it likes.

The palys are invasive, keep them from touching the rock behind it, personally I would ditch the whole rock they are on, they can be toxic as well. I'm recently overly worried after Julian Sprung talked about the power of Palythoa at RAP.

An acan echinata or that hammer coral on that rock will not get stung. Maybe even the goni will work on that tinkerbell rock.

so I'm kinda glad I didn't get there in time for that as I"m already paranoid about palytoxin. Oy.

thecoralbeauty

omg.

what if i traded the tinker bell rock to the LFS and replaced it with the zoa garden rock?! (i like having a rock there, and the zoa garden in the back right corner doesn't look right to me either...)

I know they will grow over sand from Ark's tank. Could be an option if you find no other space.

so I'm kinda glad I didn't get there in time for that as I"m already paranoid about palytoxin. Oy.

I got rid of my grandi palys and my nuclear greens for just this reason. It's like the second most deadly poison on the earth. Why the hell did I have that in my house???? LOL I loved my grandis but it just wasn't worth it to me.

omg.

what if i traded the tinker bell rock to the LFS and replaced it with the zoa garden rock?! (i like having a rock there, and the zoa garden in the back right corner doesn't look right to me either...)

That sounds like a good plan. Those tinker bells are pretty but I could see them trying to take over your tank and then there's the toxin.

I know they will grow over sand from Ark's tank. Could be an option if you find no other space.

I got rid of my grandi palys and my nuclear greens for just this reason. It's like the second most deadly poison on the earth. Why the hell did I have that in my house???? LOL I loved my grandis but it just wasn't worth it to me.

That sounds like a good plan. Those tinker bells are pretty but I could see them trying to take over your tank and then there's the toxin.

Now y'all have got me to thinking. I think I'll move the tinker bells to a completely separate isolated rock and then put it in the 12L when I get it set up. Not sure.

Archived