Innovative Marine Aquariums

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

HarryPotter

Looks amaking! You should definately get wide angle lenses- it'll increase your photosynthetic usable space by a lot!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thecoralbeauty

Looks amaking! You should definately get wide angle lenses- it'll increase your photosynthetic usable space by a lot!

....definitely. de-fine-itely. you're making me cringe!!!

and yea, I've thought about that for a long time, but my LPS tend to like lower light and where i have them now they're quite happy and extending much more than they have been while they've been directly under the light.

HarryPotter

....definitely. de-fine-itely. you're making me cringe!!!

and yea, I've thought about that for a long time, but my LPS tend to like lower light and where i have them now they're quite happy and extending much more than they have been while they've been directly under the light.

Omg I'm terrible... And I spell it incorrectly so frequently that my auto-correct committed suicide!

thecoralbeauty

haha!

Tank is still slightly cloudy this morning, not sure why. the dust should have settled overnight...

then again, only the blues are on right now, and i did just feed reef energy.

going to not feed today and tomorrow morning and see if it's the same story, or if the feeding routine is apparently too much for this tank now that it's all broken in and dirty!

Spending Morgan's money again!!!!

thecoralbeauty

cleaned the back wall. broke the xenia off. now i have four patches!! :)

also, water cleared up throughout the day. hm.

thecoralbeauty

water remains clear. I'm guessing whatever minor cloudiness I keep seeing is from precipitate. my salt mix alk is high, so its unsurprising that water changes actually make cloudiness worse instead of better. that being said, i do have 4 clams to suck up alk, hah. I go through a drop of about 1.1 a day if i don't dose. next trip i make to the LFS or petco to grab salt mix it'll be plain old IO and i'll start gradually mixing that in to slowly make the switch over.

one of the green slimers fell off sometime yesterday/last night (yesterday i was not home. I had a flat tire from a sheet metal screw since my condo complex is having some roofs and gutters redone. i had to go get an air compressor, pump the tire up, and drive over to the tire place where they (thankfully) fixed it for free. needless to say, that was a dramatic day...) I have no idea how long that slimer was down in the sand, but one side of it is pretty pale, so i'm assuming quite some time. hoping it will recover... glued it back this morning and will wait and see! I've seen these slimers get pale in shade for a day and then color right back up in a week or so, i'm hoping that's all it will take and it's not going to end up in TN...

happy fourth of july everyone! my best friend is pseudo getting married today (no wedding) and i'll probably end up at my parents place watching a movie with the dog in the basement to hide from the fireworks. some folks were setting them off yesterday and she was going bonkers. trying to watch an old john wayne movie and every 2 minutes we'd get a barking interruption. poor girl. i was considering bringing the kitties over (they're a huge hit with my folks and my gramma who lives with them) but i think that would just tick off the dog even more.

FlowerMama

I know you have many clams, they should clean your water nicely. I do hope they have enough nutrients so that part worries me a little.

thecoralbeauty

I know you have many clams, they should clean your water nicely. I do hope they have enough nutrients so that part worries me a little.

this is true, and i was initially concerned as well, but i am a notorious over-feeder. here's what i do these days: reef energy a and b. phytofeast (live phyto if i have any) oyster feast, marine snow, reef roids, mysis/brine/krill frozen cubes. reef energy is constant and I rotate between the others with a combination of 2 or 3 each day.

edit: i also have a HUGE number of snails (several are huge) producing poop/nitrates, two wrasses and two gobies.

since i've started keeping SPS i've tried to focus on maintaining the balance of clean but nutrient-rich water.

Happy fourth of July to you! Your tank looks great. I like all the moving you did in there. Very nice. Does the green slimmer like very high light? I was thinking about getting one but have the Orbit LEDs on my tank. Didnt know if I had enough light for one.

thecoralbeauty

Happy fourth of July to you! Your tank looks great. I like all the moving you did in there. Very nice. Does the green slimmer like very high light? I was thinking about getting one but have the Orbit LEDs on my tank. Didnt know if I had enough light for one.

i have no idea about those fixture, but i'm guessing if you're keeping other SPS happy, a slimer would be fine.

thecoralbeauty

I just realized something when fiddling with the Radion on my phone through reef link. Since I run things on 14k, though my overall intensity is set at 80%, the app lists the actual intensity as 60%. When i adjust it to 12k, 80% is more like a true 80% intensity (and sunburn/blindness). 60% intensity is all the strength i really will ever need, so that's happy to know I was spot on when I set it up in the first place. B)

I just realized something when fiddling with the Radion on my phone through reef link. Since I run things on 14k, though my overall intensity is set at 80%, the app lists the actual intensity as 60%. When i adjust it to 12k, 80% is more like a true 80% intensity (and sunburn/blindness). 60% intensity is all the strength i really will ever need, so that's happy to know I was spot on when I set it up in the first place. B)

Well done. Nice when it works out like that :)

HarryPotter

Thats awesome :)

Hey Morgan- my Radion beeps constantly if I have the buttons "On" while connected to ReefLink.

Did you have to disable the buttons (Via Ecosmart Live) as well?

thecoralbeauty

i have no idea... mine dont do that... but i dont have them disabled...

someone is messing with your radion. first the thunderstorms in the middle of the night, now the beeping.

also- i just bought a nest camera. set it up. this thing is awesome... and my gosh i have horrible posture.

HarryPotter

i have no idea... mine dont do that... but i dont have them disabled...

someone is messing with your radion. first the thunderstorms in the middle of the night, now the beeping.

also- i just bought a nest camera. set it up. this thing is awesome... and my gosh i have horrible posture.

Lol give the link! :)

(So we can see the tank, not your horrible posture) :lol:

Archived