Innovative Marine Aquariums

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

jedimasterben

Where are you all getting your palys from? I can rarely find any for sale anywhere, just zoas :/

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are you all getting your palys from? I can rarely find any for sale anywhere, just zoas :/

What are some names of palys? I know grandis palys and nuclear green/purple death palys. What are some others? I'm pretty sure what I have left in my tank is all zoas but some of the heads are pretty big. Are pink hippos zoas? what about the petroglyphs? zoas?

I got the tinker bells from Live Aquaria and the nuclear greens and some sea foam kinda ones from SaltCritters. If I decide to get rid of the tinker bells, I'll send 'em over to ya.

thecoralbeauty

If i shipped id just send you this huge rock, but i don't lol these were in here when i inherited this tank back from my best friend. i'm assuming they were hitchhikers because she said she had no idea where they came from.

so I re-arranged and i LOVE it. it's not all that different but it's definitely given me some better placement spots. (Thank you kat!!) will run some new carbon for the coral snot and wait until the dust settles and then take some photos.

Ben,

I accidentally ripped a tinker bell paly while i was scraping my ricordea off that rock (yea, ugh- came off in pieces but looks like i'll have several orange rics now) but my hand slipped and i ripped a paly. the gloves i had on had water in them as they weren't elbow length (i know, dumb) but i tried not to breathe in any fumes and I'm looking at my hands now and (miraculously) it doesn't look like i have any cuts right now. how long did it take for you to start feeling weird..?

I feel fine but I called my mom (parents house is a few miles away from mine) and told her what happened and to be around in case she stops hearing from me. her first question was "well how are the cats, though? did they inhale any of it..?" :rolleyes:

jedimasterben

What are some names of palys? I know grandis palys and nuclear green/purple death palys. What are some others? I'm pretty sure what I have left in my tank is all zoas but some of the heads are pretty big. Are pink hippos zoas? what about the petroglyphs? zoas?

Basically the only true distinguishing feature between zoanthid and palythoa species is that palys always include aragonite in their mats, which gives them a sandy feeling texture. http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/150011-identify-zoanthids.html

If i shipped id just send you this huge rock, but i don't lol these were in here when i inherited this tank back from my best friend. i'm assuming they were hitchhikers because she said she had no idea where they came from.

so I re-arranged and i LOVE it. it's not all that different but it's definitely given me some better placement spots. (Thank you kat!!) will run some new carbon for the coral snot and wait until the dust settles and then take some photos.

Ben,

I accidentally ripped a tinker bell paly while i was scraping my ricordea off that rock (yea, ugh- came off in pieces but looks like i'll have several orange rics now) but my hand slipped and i ripped a paly. the gloves i had on had water in them as they weren't elbow length (i know, dumb) but i tried not to breathe in any fumes and I'm looking at my hands now and (miraculously) it doesn't look like i have any cuts right now. how long did it take for you to start feeling weird..?

I feel fine but I called my mom (parents house is a few miles away from mine) and told her what happened and to be around in case she stops hearing from me. her first question was "well how are the cats, though? did they inhale any of it..?" :rolleyes:

That pretty much sums up moms, they only care about the 'grandbabies', even if they are cats :D

You really don't have anything to worry about as long as you don't have any open wounds that you were sticking in the water and as long as you washed your hands after putting them in the tank. The toxin can become airborne under certain circumstances but unless you're putting them in a blender or boiling the rocks (never, ever do that! even to a rock with no palys or other corals on it, the rock can fracture and explode from trapped air pockets inside it trying to expand), you'll be fine. :)

Basically the only true distinguishing feature between zoanthid and palythoa species is that palys always include aragonite in their mats, which gives them a sandy feeling texture. http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/150011-identify-zoanthids.html

Huh. I was going by shape as the tinker bells are shaped just like my nuclear greens. I can see sand in the mats of the nuclear greens, but not in the tinker bells. However, I'm not about to start feeling up the mats any time soon. I wonder if the tinkers are actually zoanthids.

And Live Aquaria classified them as Zoanthid Gigantus when I bought them - however, when I was reading about Zoanthid Gigantus (PEs are this strain/classification), it said that they are characterized by white striping on the outside of the zoo which you can see when it is closed and a neon green mouth. The tinkers do not have either, yet my red PEs do.

thecoralbeauty

That pretty much sums up moms, they only care about the 'grandbabies', even if they are cats :D

You really don't have anything to worry about as long as you don't have any open wounds that you were sticking in the water and as long as you washed your hands after putting them in the tank. The toxin can become airborne under certain circumstances but unless you're putting them in a blender or boiling the rocks (never, ever do that! even to a rock with no palys or other corals on it, the rock can fracture and explode from trapped air pockets inside it trying to expand), you'll be fine. :)

cool. no blending or boiling rocks. can do!

cool. no blending or boiling rocks. can do!

The blender should be reserved for clam gonads :) haha. I crack myself up.

HarryPotter

The blender should be reserved for clam gonads :) haha. I crack myself up.

Haha yeah! Recently Alex (local clam dude- finally know his name!) got a HUGE shipment of large squamosas, so he is planning on initiating the spawn in a few days/weeks.

However, apparently you can induce a spawning event by adding certain hormones to the water- without clam gonads. What a shame :lol:

thecoralbeauty

Haha yeah! Recently Alex (local clam dude- finally know his name!) got a HUGE shipment of large squamosas, so he is planning on initiating the spawn in a few days/weeks.

However, apparently you can induce a spawning event by adding certain hormones to the water- without clam gonads. What a shame :lol:

initiating the spawn... is that what kids are calling it these days??

thecoralbeauty

LFS is taking the small frags i have laying around from my clumsiness. hoping they'll take the paly's too.

thecoralbeauty

Cloudy photos... will take more when things settle and stop being so angry.

Also decided to try a lower intensity on 12k. (40%)

IMG_0078_zpsavthxghq.jpg

IMG_0077_zpstplfyckm.jpg

IMG_0076_zpsde9iynuz.jpg

IMG_0075_zpsdnmhewsb.jpg

IMG_0074_zpsbgxziva7.jpg

Now y'all have got me to thinking. I think I'll move the tinker bells to a completely separate isolated rock and then put it in the 12L when I get it set up. Not sure.

You have tinker bells too?

I got the tinker bells from Live Aquaria and the nuclear greens and some sea foam kinda ones from SaltCritters. If I decide to get rid of the tinker bells, I'll send 'em over to ya.

noooooo, you BOUGHT sea foams? Oh gosh the thing can sit dried up and come back to life!

Cloudy photos... will take more when things settle and stop being so angry.

Also decided to try a lower intensity on 12k. (40%)

IMG_0078_zpsavthxghq.jpg

IMG_0077_zpstplfyckm.jpg

IMG_0076_zpsde9iynuz.jpg

IMG_0075_zpsdnmhewsb.jpg

IMG_0074_zpsbgxziva7.jpg

Well look at all that space! MOAR CORALS!

You have tinker bells too?

noooooo, you BOUGHT sea foams? Oh gosh the thing can sit dried up and come back to life!

I do! got them from Live Aquaria Diver's Den. I didn't purposely buy them - they came on some dragon eye zoas I got from SaltCritters - didn't know what they were so I thought "cool". They are smaller than nuclear green palys and look greenish white. They're in the back of my tank. Am I in trouble? Are they going to take over/??? OMG.

thecoralbeauty

so i took the hollywood stunner, red planet, birds nest frag, and paly rock to the LFS. They gave me half off the chemipure blue i was buying. so like, 6 bucks.

i also picked up a blue neon goby.... so cute I've been eyeing one for months!

so i took the hollywood stunner, red planet, birds nest frag, and paly rock to the LFS. They gave me half off the chemipure blue i was buying. so like, 6 bucks.

i also picked up a blue neon goby.... so cute I've been eyeing one for months!

wait, they only gave you $6 in credit for all that?

thecoralbeauty

wait, they only gave you $6 in credit for all that?

yea. it was ridiculous and i can say they've officially lost my business.

yea. it was ridiculous and i can say they've officially lost my business.

Good. It sucks though when you've got all the stuff packed up and then they pull that crap.

thecoralbeauty

Thank you! I already enjoy the zoa garden being down in front instead of the tinker bells.

just tested some fresh SW mix- alk was 10.8. I think I found my random alk swing culprit. I think bc of the inconsistency, the next time I pick up salt it will be plain old IO and i'll slowly phase into using just that.

thecoralbeauty

what kind of salt are you using now?

reef crystals. so, same company, but they're trying to be helpful by adding more calcium and mg but the alk between batches has been reported as being inconsistent... and i would have to agree with that bc i noted my big alk swing with the precipitate the other day when i opened a new bag and did a water change. :furious:

Archived