Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

What? :lol:

i'm just as lost. did you want it or something and harry didn't text you??

Have you ever gone to bishops castle?

no, i haven't heard of that... unless its the weird castle thing down by the springs. i lived in fountain for a year when my husband was stationed at ft. carson. but I'm from denver and since he passed away i moved back.

in any case, do tell.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my I'm sorry to hear that :(

It's in San Isabel National Forest, my grapdpa lived in Colorado city. It's a man made castle by Jim bishop himself. Did everything him self over the last 40 years. I seen it about once a year for about 15yrs straight. Was my favorite part about going to see my grandpa. The drive to it threw the mountains was awesome. Worth a trip if you ever go that far south. I have a whole bunch of funny inappropriate iPhone pics from my last visit with my brothers. That and going to the Royal gorge

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2047

thecoralbeauty

Oh my I'm sorry to hear that :(

It's in San Isabel National Forest, my grapdpa lived in Colorado city. It's a man made castle by Jim bishop himself. Did everything him self over the last 40 years. I seen it about once a year for about 15yrs straight. Was my favorite part about going to see my grandpa. The drive to it threw the mountains was awesome. Worth a trip if you ever go that far south. I have a whole bunch of funny inappropriate iPhone pics from my last visit with my brothers. That and going to the Royal gorge

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2047

royal gorge isn't more than two hour's drive from me... if that. i'll have to check it out!

Last time I went to the royal gorge was 22 and bungee jumped. That was epic and also 8 years ago. Shit time flys

come to Chicago =P. We been getting lots of thunderstorms lately.

I was just there and missed all the storms :(. Storms came through the day before or so and then the day we left. Unbelievable...didn't get to enjoy a single storm the whole time we were there lol.

Heck Ya! Colorado is a wonderful place to live- where did you visit last week? You want thunderstorms we got'em especially this year- really pretty coming over the mountains. Sorry to hijack your thread !

I was through the very southeast corner. I've never been to Denver but really want to check it out. That area is high on the list of places to move :). l,,lk, <----- Nora says hello :lol:

no worries, haha. thanks for the help trying to convince them to all move here! lol

yea, we get tons of thunderstorms. in fact, we had rain every single day this spring/summer up until last week, i'm pretty sure. and they're pretty epic storms too.

Sounds perfect :).
thecoralbeauty

reef link should be here saturday!

thanks to Phi and HARRY FOR BEING A BARGAIN ALERT SHOPPER!

now only to see harry's teal clams...

thecoralbeauty

ok. water is super cloudy. no idea what's up, except that my alk shot SUPER HIGH overnight- (what??)

water changes, perhaps? hm.

guess i'll get to mixing.

HarryPotter

reef link should be here saturday!

thanks to Phi and HARRY FOR BEING A BARGAIN ALERT SHOPPER!

now only to see harry's teal clams...

Not teal in the end. There was fine print of "Our pick" under a picture of dozens of teal clams. Dark blue and not unique whatsoever- didn't end up buying them from the dude. My search continues

ok. water is super cloudy. no idea what's up, except that my alk shot SUPER HIGH overnight- (what??)

Picture? :)

jedimasterben

Did you dose anything? Cloudiness with something being elevated is usually precipitation.

thecoralbeauty

Did you dose anything? Cloudiness with something being elevated is usually precipitation.

that's my suspicion. I dosed calcium and alk yesterday (b-ionic) and then posted the params that tested after i dosed. it's possible it got properly mixed over night and something precipitated out. i need to get my alk down, its around 15.

Something spawn? Mine got cloudy when my pocci spawned. It cleared in about six hours.

thecoralbeauty

it's possible. did a 5 gal water change, preparing ro/di for another. hoping to just get the alk back down.

also, discovered that my HOB filter was not working. hauled it out, ran it under hot tap water, got the motor back up and running.

i believe chemipure is good for up to 6 weeks, no? i installed it a week ago, so the water running through that should help a lot too, i hope. it certainly won't hurt it.

jedimasterben

If it is precipitation, then what you are seeing in the water is simply aragonite, CaCO3. It will only be removed from the tank by mechanical filtration or a protein skimmer pulling it out, chemical media won't do it.

HarryPotter

She had no protein skimmer and no floss- the HOBbis filled with chaeto

If it is precipitation, then what you are seeing in the water is simply aragonite, CaCO3. It will only be removed from the tank by mechanical filtration or a protein skimmer pulling it out, chemical media won't do it.

Maybe stick some filter floss in the HOB temporarily?
jedimasterben

Realistically, any type of media will be covered in bacterial films in a few weeks' time, rendering it nearly useless. This is a problem for high-capacity medias like ROX carbon, Purigen, so every couple of weeks I will take my media out and hit it with the garden hose to forcefully push the films off of it. This helps extend the life of the media with relatively little effort.

Realistically, any type of media will be covered in bacterial films in a few weeks' time, rendering it nearly useless. This is a problem for high-capacity medias like ROX carbon, Purigen, so every couple of weeks I will take my media out and hit it with the garden hose to forcefully push the films off of it. This helps extend the life of the media with relatively little effort.

I take Chemipure blue out and rinse it in my old water from a water change. Hopefully that helps somewhat. I never felt that the media could actually last 3 months. I'm ok with the cost of replacing it once a month.
jedimasterben

I take Chemipure blue out and rinse it in my old water from a water change. Hopefully that helps somewhat. I never felt that the media could actually last 3 months. I'm ok with the cost of replacing it once a month.

It will help, but I don't think it would last nearly that long, either, especially in a tank that is actually being fed and taken care of lol.

thecoralbeauty

She had no protein skimmer and no floss- the HOBbis filled with chaeto

i don't have any cheato in there. just a bag of chemipure.

i also have no floss.

guess I'm going to petco.

i did a 50% water change (5 gal then another 5 gal) this morning and still kinda cloudy water.

i'll dash off for some more filter media. ugh. i swear, as soon as this is happily in balance i'll be so happy!!

Archived