Cultivated Reef

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

OMG! This morning I woke up to crystal clear water AND RTN ON MY PURPLE MILIPORA!!! That was on of my favorite SPS pieces, and it's across the bottom of it on a large portion of it.

can it be saved? can it be stopped??

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG! This morning I woke up to crystal clear water AND RTN ON MY PURPLE MILIPORA!!! That was on of my favorite SPS pieces, and it's across the bottom of it on a large portion of it.

can it be saved? can it be stopped??

Oh NOOOOOO! I have no idea how to stop it. What about dipping it in something like Medicoral? That helped an acan that was receding for me, but I have no idea if the same thing would help with your mili :(

thecoralbeauty

This morning's Params:

Ca: 500

Mg:1260

Alk: 3.08 (KH:8.6)- I'm realizing my dad read the KH last night instead of the Alk to me.

pH:(as a double check):7.8

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 0

Salinity: 1.024

Temp: 82- high side. could this be causing it??

thecoralbeauty

so it's not uncommon for low pH immediately in the morning, but it's much lower than i'd like it to be.

i guess the pink mili wasn't RTN because of the bag fragging job, i really had reason for concern because my purple aquaculture milli is going now too. how do i stop this? even if i lose this one piece, i don't want to lose the others. i have some pieces i can't get anywhere that i wouldn't be able to replace...

Maricultured can be hit or miss.

It could be a pest (macro images with a good camera help), it could be a parameter swing, it could be lighting, and it could be something we don't test for. Since the base is pretty much gone now is a good time to pry/cut it from the big plug and discard the plug. A few folks have actually found copper wire in there, which can cause all kinds of issues. Use superglue around the edges that are receding and put back in the tank.

Dipping is up to you, I only dip acros in Bayer insecticide and only if I know there is a pest issue, or when i first get an acro to make sure there are no pests on it.

Ah bummer about the RTN. I am sorry you are dealing with that, especially when the root cause is nebulous. It's so frustrating when you don't know why!

jedimasterben

Maricultured can be hit or miss.

It could be a pest (macro images with a good camera help), it could be a parameter swing, it could be lighting, and it could be something we don't test for. Since the base is pretty much gone now is a good time to pry/cut it from the big plug and discard the plug. A few folks have actually found copper wire in there, which can cause all kinds of issues. Use superglue around the edges that are receding and put back in the tank.

Dipping is up to you, I only dip acros in Bayer insecticide and only if I know there is a pest issue, or when i first get an acro to make sure there are no pests on it.

+1 all of this

#markforpresident

thecoralbeauty

I turned the fan on in the room (i haven't been since it's been nice here lately) and the temp is slowly dropping. now at 80. hoping that helps.

decided there wouldn't be any more harm done if i dipped in CoralRx, so I did. from what I have read in the past about RTN, typically it doesn't spread unless it is due to a bacterial infection, in which case, the CoralRx should help with that. Since I want to preserve my other pieces, I figured it's best to be on the safe side. Please let me know if I'm off in my thinking...

should i still super glue around the bottom parts that have receded? The entire base isn't gone, but a good chunk is. I expect to lose the little arm to the side....

I don't think I can get it off the plug. it's concrete.

Here are some photos from the dipping process. As you can see, the WHOLE base isn't gone...

IMG_3144_zps4hek8nzn.jpg

IMG_3142_zps5np0gua3.jpg

IMG_3141_zpsudb0wyjw.jpg

IMG_3140_zps23sc2gay.jpg

IMG_3139_zpsvlw0ge3n.jpg

IMG_3138_zpsjt0usrx8.jpg

I had one piece of acro that when I bought it had a few spots of RTN. It was a very fuzzy acro and under their blue lighting I could not see it, as algea had grow over the bare spots. I read on line a good bit about RTN. I took sharp tile cutters and cut off all the dead as close as I could to the live flesh and then super glued (gel) over all the new cuts up to and barely over the good flesh. I have had no more issues with this piece and it has been over a month and good flesh is slowly growing over the super glued areas. I had to cut off one tip and two arms on my little guy. It was not the base.

I have almost always been able to use a razor blade to CAREFULLY get a frag off a plug or piece of rubble I did not want in my tank. Once I get under the epoxy or glue it pops right off. I have also almost cut myself before a few times being everything is wetish and slippery. However the piece of crete your guy is on does not look bad at all in your tank like a plug would.

thecoralbeauty

also pulled this out from under where the mille was perched on my rock. it wasn't on anything- including the RFA that is RIGHT THERE (maybe it's RFA secretion or some such?) and definitely has not been on either mille that i've lost in the last two days. doesn't look like brown jelly to me, but, i have no experience with such evil. I sucked it out and took a picture for you, then dumped it down the drain. could it be one of the wrasse's slime coatings??

IMG_3146_zpss3fhtzmb.jpg

I had one piece of acro that when I bought it had a few spots of RTN. It was a very fuzzy acro and under their blue lighting I could not see it, as algea had grow over the bare spots. I read on line a good bit about RTN. I took sharp tile cutters and cut off all the dead as close as I could to the live flesh and then super glued (gel) over all the new cuts up to and barely over the good flesh. I have had no more issues with this piece and it has been over a month and good flesh is slowly growing over the super glued areas. I had to cut off one tip and two arms on my little guy. It was not the base.

I have almost always been able to use a razor blade to CAREFULLY get a frag off a plug or piece of rubble I did not want in my tank. Once I get under the epoxy or glue it pops right off. I have also almost cut myself before a few times being everything is wetish and slippery. However the piece of crete your guy is on does not look bad at all in your tank like a plug would.

thanks, that's why i kept the plug.

should i try and superglue around the dead flesh? would that help prevent the spread?

With the birdsnest that was growing algae (the one you and i were discussing a few weeks ago), i just broke off those tips and scraped off the side of a branch that had had tissue loss and though the tissue hasn't grown back, neither has the algae, and it hasn't spread either.

I have heard of people doing that and it has helped if they went all the way up and over the good flesh a very tiny bit.

I think typically maxima's require less light than croceas... but i also could be mis-remembering. I would guess that if you're successfully growing SPS then you're probably safe for a clam, especially if you feed phytoplankton.

Meh, clams can croak for seemingly no reason. Phyto has been found in their gut but there isn't evidence that they actually utilize it for nutrition or simply injest it along with everything else when they filter the water.

I posted a video if feeding my clam coral snow. A thread on RC suggests CS is actually just simple chalk. Not sure why my clam would like to eat chalt but it doesn't cough or anything, just inhales. :blink:

also pulled this out from under where the mille was perched on my rock. it wasn't on anything- including the RFA that is RIGHT THERE (maybe it's RFA secretion or some such?) and definitely has not been on either mille that i've lost in the last two days. doesn't look like brown jelly to me, but, i have no experience with such evil. I sucked it out and took a picture for you, then dumped it down the drain. could it be one of the wrasse's slime coatings??

IMG_3146_zpss3fhtzmb.jpg

RFA poop?

Here is a picture of my little guy. I dont know what he is if you happen to know? But he is teal with dark green thick fleshy polyps. He is one of my favoirte. I just took these and they arnt the clearest but new flesh is growing over the super glue slowly.

This is a front shot.post-87944-0-93954800-1434641333_thumb.jpg

and one from the side.post-87944-0-62317200-1434641371_thumb.jpg

I have seen no more RTN since working on this piece and it has been at least a month.

Meh, clams can croak for seemingly no reason. Phyto has been found in their gut but there isn't evidence that they actually utilize it for nutrition or simply injest it along with everything else when they filter the water.

I posted a video if feeding my clam coral snow. A thread on RC suggests CS is actually just simple chalk. Not sure why my clam would like to eat chalt but it doesn't cough or anything, just inhales. :blink:

When I was researching clams before I got mine, I read the best thing you can do for your clam is provide it with fish wastes. It doesn't sound appetizing to me but then I am not a clam.
jedimasterben

I would personally cut the coral completely from the base. I wouldn't put a lot of trust into the bases used in mariculture. Grab a pair of bone cutters or a good pair of cutters (Home depot has some that are inexpensive, just be sure to rinse and dry them to prevent them from rusting) and do like Mom2many did, clip off all of the dead bits and heavily glue the adjacent living flesh when you remount it.

I would personally cut the coral completely from the base. I wouldn't put a lot of trust into the bases used in mariculture. Grab a pair of bone cutters or a good pair of cutters (Home depot has some that are inexpensive, just be sure to rinse and dry them to prevent them from rusting) and do like Mom2many did, clip off all of the dead bits and heavily glue the adjacent living flesh when you remount it.

I think this sounds like a good plan! I did something similar when I was trying to get a porites off a frag plug and mistakenly fragged it! I superglued the part that broke off and the flesh grew right over the glue.

thecoralbeauty

I think this sounds like a good plan! I did something similar when I was trying to get a porites off a frag plug and mistakenly fragged it! I superglued the part that broke off and the flesh grew right over the glue.

Superglued. Also spent about an hour explaining testing details to my mom who is tank sitting the next two nights for me about testing params and dosing, if need be. I'm nervous, but I think I've done everything I can do.

If it's a bacterial infection then high temps are probably the cause - Vibrio harveyi and Vibrio coralliilyticus (Edit: also Vibrio owensii) are the two main culprits that we know about. Both thrive in warmer waters (82-84 and above). Everyone else has given you treatment options, and those are spot on, but you need to try and bring your temperature down near 80 if you can. It'll stop the spread or at least slow it and allow for better treatment. Keep an eye on your other SPS.

Superglued. Also spent about an hour explaining testing details to my mom who is tank sitting the next two nights for me about testing params and dosing, if need be. I'm nervous, but I think I've done everything I can do.

ha! Did you thoroughly freak your mom out??? That is great that she will be there. I say don't worry. Everything will be fine!

thecoralbeauty

Tibbsy07- that was my thinking exactly.

Temp is down to 78.

Mom has instructions to keep below 80. :)

And yes, she had the deer-in-headlights look but she also gets to come see kitties and she's taking them home with her one of the nights, (I'm sure the dog loves that idea...) so she's willing to do her best.

I think that any quick changes to water conditions will reverberate with SPS. Just changing out the old carbon, and adding Chemipure could have shocked your little Mille.

I found that when just getting into sps it was best to get some hardy stuff from locals vs stuff from pet stores etc. stuff that has been in people's tanks for years always just does better. Wish you were closer I'd hook you up with some good pieces

Archived