Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

One of my bigger birds nest colonies has some traveling STN on it. The tissue will basically die off, leaving a bleached bone skeleton, and this spreads around the colony (especially the lower extremeties), but new tissue grows back over the old skeleton at about the same rate. So I always have about 1/2" - 1" of dead birds nest, but it's always in a different spot.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my bigger birds nest colonies has some traveling STN on it. The tissue will basically die off, leaving a bleached bone skeleton, and this spreads around the colony (especially the lower extremeties), but new tissue grows back over the old skeleton at about the same rate. So I always have about 1/2" - 1" of dead birds nest, but it's always in a different spot.

Sounds like a parasite? I have a branching poccillapora that anything on it the light does not get to anymore in the lower areas turns white with no polyps. The rest seems very happy and healthy.

HarryPotter

Oh MWhiteLock- speaking of SPS troubles I think I may have found what is causing mine to bleach.

The new beautiful Montipora cap (Brown with Purple Polyps) was mounted vertically- and now only the side that is directly exposed to the Radion is bleaching.

This means too much lighting- right? Zero polyp extension towards the light, but the other side of the Cap is happy and colorful.

Makes sense? If the solution is as easy as lowering the intensity of my Radion I would be thrilled!

​I took it down from the 65% to 55%.

Originally I had it on the low 90's- no wonder my SPS was bleaching!

thecoralbeauty

I'm on my phone since we are on the road- where are you plainrt?

My green slimers are those frags- from the Denver aquarium and then a friends tank for about a year and then mine :)

None of my friends here locally are reefers though. Best friend couldn't keep much alive when she had this tank (due to neglect) and my other friend got out of the hobby

Good old Wisconsin. Little north of Milwaukee. With sps I have learned not to get too worked up about when a piece doesn't do the best. If this stuff was easy everyone would have a reef tank.

Superglued. Also spent about an hour explaining testing details to my mom who is tank sitting the next two nights for me about testing params and dosing, if need be. I'm nervous, but I think I've done everything I can do.

Your levels are really pretty right on. I would not dose for the 2 days you are away. Just my opinion.

thecoralbeauty

Your levels are really pretty right on. I would not dose for the 2 days you are away. Just my opinion.

Thanks, Kat. Looks like we'll be coming back tonight after all. I was prepared for th worst but I think you're right :) as per usual

Could you be having the loss because the Chemipure cleaned the water and more light is reaching the corals, like shocking them as the water is more crystal clear? Maybe turn light down some?

jedimasterben

Could you be having the loss because the Chemipure cleaned the water and more light is reaching the corals, like shocking them as the water is more crystal clear? Maybe turn light down some?

I've heard that repeated over and over and over, but in practice, the difference is a couple of percent, even with significant yellowing of the water.

caturday_cat_memes_05.jpg

I.... Didn't know you were into that o.0

I turned the fan on in the room (i haven't been since it's been nice here lately) and the temp is slowly dropping. now at 80. hoping that helps.

decided there wouldn't be any more harm done if i dipped in CoralRx, so I did. from what I have read in the past about RTN, typically it doesn't spread unless it is due to a bacterial infection, in which case, the CoralRx should help with that.

Does it really stop RTN and STN? I know it advertises this, but I have my doubts...

thecoralbeauty

Oh MWhiteLock- speaking of SPS troubles I think I may have found what is causing mine to bleach.

The new beautiful Montipora cap (Brown with Purple Polyps) was mounted vertically- and now only the side that is directly exposed to the Radion is bleaching.

This means too much lighting- right? Zero polyp extension towards the light, but the other side of the Cap is happy and colorful.

Makes sense? If the solution is as easy as lowering the intensity of my Radion I would be thrilled!

​I took it down from the 65% to 55%.

Originally I had it on the low 90's- no wonder my SPS was bleaching!

Harry, from the photos it looks like it's a rainbow monti, in which case, yea, they are more sensitive to light than their other color combinations such as sunset, lakers, super girl, etc. either turn your radion down or put it in a more shady spot. farther down away from the light. careful about huge swings in your lighting intensity and color. you don't want to shock anything else while fixing this problem.

Does it really stop RTN and STN? I know it advertises this, but I have my doubts...

well, i realized this morning that my bottle was expired as of September 2012. (Damn, did I really get into this hobby that long ago??) The tissue necrosis continues, though, sadly. So, at least we know EXPIRED CoralRx doesn't help it.

Mom tried to get the temp lower at specific points throughout the day yesterday but it did climb at least twice in the afternoon and was 82 when i got back home. I bumped the AC overnight and the temp dropped to 74. going to try to keep it low today to see if i can get the issue to stop. I keep hoping that maybe it's at least slowed it down.

All my other SPS look good (so far)- god i'm so nervous. I don't know what I would do if I lose my slimers or my oregon tort.

:closedeyes:

Okay. Hypo. In the South you say that when you're surprised.

Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

This earthy interjection expresses surprise or astonishment. The same action can be performed with “Well I’ll be!” This elides the verb, which is understood to be “switched,” “struck dumb,” “a monkey’s uncle,” or something of the sort.

The longer form has spawned a range of variants in the form of “[verb] my [body part] and call me [noun or proper noun].”A search of Web comments and discussions readily turns up:

• Well butter my butt and call me toast.
  • Well smack my ass and call me Sally.

It is an expression of surprise. There are quite a few phrases like this associated with rural America. The point is describe something incredibly surprising or that you'd never have thought someone might actually do.

Some more good ones:

• Paint me green and call me a cucumber.
  • Slap me with bread and call me a sandwich.
  • Pin my tail and call me a donkey.
  • Fry me in butter and call me a catfish.
  • Saddle my back and call me a horse!

Hmpf. :closedeyes:

thecoralbeauty

In more happy news, though we decided to cut the road trip short yesterday, we still saw some awesome things. I think the highlight for me was going back to the grottos (huge granite boulders that have been worn into interesting shapes from the water- ice caves and what not) near Aspen and finding a mountain orchid.

IMG_3167.JPG_zpse3ijeoqs.jpeg

IMG_3166.JPG_zpse7tja1x5.jpeg

IMG_3165.JPG_zpsjhxkbkau.jpeg

We also checked out a mining ghost town that was established in the 1860's over a 2-year gold boom (town was abandoned in two years because of it) and enjoyed the view over independence pass.

IMG_3183_zpsh4iwdiim.jpg

IMG_3173_zps5cio2oqp.jpg

IMG_3152_zpsq6bwz3ln.jpg

IMG_3151_zpsmq8ywtwy.jpg

Here's an update of the RTN on the millepora this morning: (Sigh)

IMG_3184_zpszssulr2d.jpg

thecoralbeauty

Edit: When in doubt, call home. Dad has a pair of cutters that should do the trick that he'll bring over today.

Pray, send good vibes, etc. :scarry:

most of my SPSs died from STN after I treated the rock with some peroxide to get rid of bryopsis, I rinsed it but i suspect some still in the rock and leached out. I should have fragged the good part. Good luck to you, look like you still have a good chance.

jedimasterben

most of my SPSs died from STN after I treated the rock with some peroxide to get rid of bryopsis, I rinsed it but i suspect some still in the rock and leached out. I should have fragged the good part. Good luck to you, look like you still have a good chance.

Peroxide breaks down almost instantly on contact with saltwater and also breaks down with light, touching any other substance, etc. SPS are fine with peroxide.

Peroxide breaks down almost instantly on contact with saltwater and also breaks down with light, touching any other substance, etc. SPS are fine with peroxide.

for a short, very short duration

Direct contact wise I mean.

thecoralbeauty

Fragged. Super glued. Fingers crossed.

I now have two little purple Mille frags :)

And I guess I'll know in the next few days if they'll pull through.

My Xenia are droopy. Could that be due to the lower temps today?

thecoralbeauty

Frags doing well.

Updated my house's thermostat today so at least I'll know for sure what temperature things are. I got the nest, I feel pretty schwanky... I guess I'm officially an adult. I get excited about house purchases like thermostats. I'm blessed to own my own place. :)

Also, today I took a page out of Chris's book. I went to the LFS to get some more coral glue (and browse at all the pretty things he has...) and came back with an MP10w.

Soft corals are great way to read a tank. Likely if they are being strange something is off. How big of temp difference?

Archived