Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

HarryPotter

i don't have any cheato in there. just a bag of chemipure.

i also have no floss.

guess I'm going to petco.

i did a 50% water change (5 gal then another 5 gal) this morning and still kinda cloudy water.

i'll dash off for some more filter media. ugh. i swear, as soon as this is happily in balance i'll be so happy!!

Don't worry about it so much. Cloudy water, even from precipitate, does not have an immediate impact on your corals or fish I believe. No more shocks will help them more :)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

new floss and better carbon running now. :)

Speaking of troubles, the Squamosa had punched mantle today after taking out the rock that was stuck in its shell. I gave it a 2 minute freshwater bath and am crossing my fingers.

People say to give them a 30 minute bath, but I feel too nervous for that

thecoralbeauty

when i dipped mine i went about 10 min, and did it a few times with about an hour in between. fast action is pretty key.

HarryPotter

when i dipped mine i went about 10 min, and did it a few times with about an hour in between. fast action is pretty key.

Ten minutes? I did five.... and will be away this weekend. Ill do another before night?

thecoralbeauty

oh thats right, you're being a rock star and going to RAP in new york. but.... tomorrow I'm going to the conservative summit, so there!

in all seriousness though, you're probably fine. maybe dunk again if you feel it was necessary but if it some time to recover tonight so you can gauge how its doing before you galavant away.

Speaking of troubles, the Squamosa had punched mantle today after taking out the rock that was stuck in its shell. I gave it a 2 minute freshwater bath and am crossing my fingers.

People say to give them a 30 minute bath, but I feel too nervous for that

I dipped my maxima for 45 minutes. Clams are REALLY resilient to fresh water. In nature, low tide can leave them exposed to rainstorms, so they're genetically tolerant.

thecoralbeauty

Harry, I know you're worried about it already being stressed, but I would aim for 20-30 min. You're going away and can't fuss with it for a few days, so it'll have time to de-stress. I don't think you run much risk of weakening it further by doing a dip (unless it's already too far gone, in which case it wouldn't make a difference). You caught this early, though, so there's a lot of hope. You say you think it may be due to removing the rock the other day- if you did somehow damage it, providing a fresh water dip might help give it a leg (er, foot?) up in recovering.

righttirefire

Hey Morgan,

How are your clams doing? I know nothing about clams. But follow harry's clam issue. I know youts came from the same place...

HarryPotter

Hey Morgan,

How are your clams doing? I know nothing about clams. But follow harry's clam issue. I know youts came from the same place...

Hey all my others are perfectly fine and so are the (quite a few) that are shipped out.

I'm just saying that I directly caused this issue two days ago, and all fault is mine. There was a stone stuck on its foot and shell blocking it from closing, and I attempted to get the stone out. Lots of byssal, etc. all others look great, and this one I believe (not just being optimistic, but actually) will recover. Look at the updated photos

Harry, I know you're worried about it already being stressed, but I would aim for 20-30 min. You're going away and can't fuss with it for a few days, so it'll have time to de-stress. I don't think you run much risk of weakening it further by doing a dip (unless it's already too far gone, in which case it wouldn't make a difference). You caught this early, though, so there's a lot of hope. You say you think it may be due to removing the rock the other day- if you did somehow damage it, providing a fresh water dip might help give it a leg (er, foot?) up in recovering.

It actually looks better! Only one section has a fold! :-) the rest have opened up and it's slowly extending the left side again

thecoralbeauty

Good for you, harry!

Unfortunately I woke up to RTN on BOTH my purple mille frags... Guess I couldn't save it after all. All my other SPS look good though.

Also one of the croceas had detached from his little rock. i suspect the sand sifting star pushed him off, but who knows.

Good for you, harry!

Unfortunately I woke up to RTN on BOTH my purple mille frags... Guess I couldn't save it after all. All my other SPS look good though.

Also one of the croceas had detached from his little rock. i suspect the sand sifting star pushed him off, but who knows.

My turbos and clowns knock stuff over all the time :P
thecoralbeauty

Params:

Temp: 78

Alk: 10.9 (phew thank god it's back down... i wonder if the swing caused the RTN?)

Ca: ~520

Mg: 1350

Salinity: 1.024

Looks like Alk and Ca are still a bit high but we're in good ranges still.

Took out the poor little mille frags, righted the clam back on his rock, and off I go to the conservative summit.

Water has cleared up, so I'm guessing Ben was right and it was just precipitate. Leaving the floss in today and will switch back to chemipure eventually

What does your newly mixed water test for Alk? Alk swings can kill Acros quick, but usually it's in combination with something else. Salinity should be 1.026 (35ppt) in my opinion. :)

Sorry about your milli.

thecoralbeauty

What does your newly mixed water test for Alk? Alk swings can kill Acros quick, but usually it's in combination with something else. Salinity should be 1.026 (35ppt) in my opinion. :)

Sorry about your milli.

thanks, it's sad. :(

i'll test it when I'm actually home for good later tonight. came home for a breather between speeches today, and found that the reef link is here!

10.9 is still a little on the high side... is it too high still? I was planning on just letting it drop naturally as it is consumed by clams and what not, but if it's needed I can do another water change tonight. (assuming that alk tests lower...) I'm using reef crystals and i have heard that the alk is not consistent between batches.

thecoralbeauty

so, i have the reef link, and it's set up and all, but unfortunately ecosmart won't let me do anything. at all. seriously. am i the only one with this issue??

so... off to bed i go, i guess. :-/

on the other hand, i had a blast at the conservative summit, and my stitch fix ALSO arrived today, so i'm still a happy camper.

Maybe ecosmart will get it's butt in gear overnight so I can play with tank in the morning!

thanks, it's sad. :(

i'll test it when I'm actually home for good later tonight. came home for a breather between speeches today, and found that the reef link is here!

10.9 is still a little on the high side... is it too high still? I was planning on just letting it drop naturally as it is consumed by clams and what not, but if it's needed I can do another water change tonight. (assuming that alk tests lower...) I'm using reef crystals and i have heard that the alk is not consistent between batches.

Letting it fall naturally is usually the best plan. RC has had some crazy high Alk in the last year. I've been mixing it with Red Sea Blue Bucket for smaller changes, or going full blue bucket if I need to do a large change and not move KH.

thecoralbeauty

Letting it fall naturally is usually the best plan. RC has had some crazy high Alk in the last year. I've been mixing it with Red Sea Blue Bucket for smaller changes, or going full blue bucket if I need to do a large change and not move KH.

that's frustrating. consistency is key in this hobby.

looks like i'll need to figure out a good system for maintaining things... haven't mixed any new water yet but when i do i'll see what we're at. or potentially just gradually do a switch to IO altogether. cheaper, and hey if it's consistent, why not?

possibly more frustrating, my eco tech won't work. at all. in any way.

ughh!

oh... oh... firmware reset seems to have helped breathe some life into things... stay tuned.

Archived