Innovative Marine Aquariums

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

do you know why??

Food related. Opened a new bag of his prescription dry food. He LOVES a new freshly opened bag of kibble. So he's been inhaling it and begging for more. I don't like to give him too much at a time or even over the whole day because he will throw it up, he also doesn;t chew, prefers to swallow his kibble which makes it worse. It's also frustrating because if you don't give it to him he starts throwing things down from the tables. Or sometimes won't eat the wet food sitting in the bowl and then gets acid because his stomach is empty and he throws up again. Strange cat, might have to ebay him. If only he wasn't so darn cute.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like to give him too much at a time or even over the whole day because he will throw it up, he also doesn;t chew, prefers to swallow his kibble which makes it worse.

My cat does the same thing!

thecoralbeauty

my cats must be easy keepers. I've had minimal barf in my life over the last two years...

bumped the doser up 2ml for alk. was still at 8.3 this morning.

HarryPotter

still at 8.3 for alk. bumped up to 10ml total.

Hey at least its not going down! :)

Are you having any leaking issues? Mine is being AWEFUL recently and leaking Two-Part all over my stand :(

Ordered new air valves, so lets see

thecoralbeauty

Hey at least its not going down! :)

Are you having any leaking issues? Mine is being AWEFUL recently and leaking Two-Part all over my stand :(

Ordered new air valves, so lets see

no leaking yet.

if it was going down, i would assume it's not working.

HarryPotter

well, it went down. 7.7 this morning.

which is curious.

I'm wondering if my calibration was off. the manual says to calibrate based on how long it takes for 100ml to be drained from the input, but it seems to make more sense to calibrate based on when 100ml has reached the output.

http://www.championlighting.com/pics/doserpics/Jebao-DP-4-Instructions.pdf

help?

I calibrated how long until filled 100ml cylinder.

You know it has to prime, right? So the liquid should be right at the tip of the dosing tubes 24/7

well, it went down. 7.7 this morning.

which is curious.

I'm wondering if my calibration was off. the manual says to calibrate based on how long it takes for 100ml to be drained from the input, but it seems to make more sense to calibrate based on when 100ml has reached the output.

http://www.championlighting.com/pics/doserpics/Jebao-DP-4-Instructions.pdf

help?

+1 on priming it first ;)

Morgan, I have the same doser on my 4g tank. I found out that when it only doses 1ml at a time, it doesn't always dose the same amount every time. If you dose 2ml or more each time, it's very consistent with the calibrated setting. So I ended up diluting the dosing solution with RO water by 50%, and I dose 2ml each time instead of 1ml.

thecoralbeauty

+1 on priming it first ;)

Morgan, I have the same doser on my 4g tank. I found out that when it only doses 1ml at a time, it doesn't always dose the same amount every time. If you dose 2ml or more each time, it's very consistent with the calibrated setting. So I ended up diluting the dosing solution with RO water by 50%, and I dose 2ml each time instead of 1ml.

ahhhh that might do it. i've bumped it considerably but then my alk shot to 14. so i'm scaling it back slowly and systematically.

calcium is at a comfortable 400.

i did my first water change with reef crystals mixed with IO. I'm excited to transition because i hope i'll stop getting so much variance in alk between batches.

also did a deep clean. scraped down glass, re-nail polished the ONE spot that had rust on the top (and it was where i cut it) and will change out my chemipure elite today and new floss as well.

sorry i've been MIA lately. going back to work isn't awesome.

Yeah, I went through the same thing until I figured it out. It kept bouncing between way too low and way too high.

I also do almost the same thing with my salt. Half RC and half Red Sea blue bucket. That way the alk level of my new water is right about where I want it already.

thecoralbeauty

alk at 10.9 today. so about where i want it. fingers crossed!

Took a new FTS... and am uploading my first ever tank video!

Drumroll.......

FullSizeRender%202_zpshx5vowmc.jpg

thecoralbeauty

Wow! Everything is so colorful! Very nice. Love the clammies.

Thank you! I think one is irritated because the urchin is right on top of him and tickling him, but if he's pinched in like that later tonight once the urchin moves, i'll do a quick dip.

Looks like a good bit of growth happened. Happy tank.

It's crazy to see how fast things grow, even if you're out for a day or so!

I've also noticed a big difference having the screen top. gas exchange is great.

Video is uploading.. stay tuned.

HarryPotter

yes! its really fascinating how he's changing colors

Haha I'm so jealous! I wonder if it's part of the baby clam's maturity or if it has something to do with the tank- but either way it looks happy as clam be ;) and beautiful as hell!

Looks great! Has the xenia really taken off? I don't remember you having that much before. And that starfish omgomgomg. Didn't know you had that either. What kind is it?

Wonderful tank tour! I'm with everyone else. Xenia has really taken off and everything has grown! Very nice!

thecoralbeauty

Thank you everyone!!

Looks great! Has the xenia really taken off? I don't remember you having that much before. And that starfish omgomgomg. Didn't know you had that either. What kind is it?

The xenia has exploded. I have SO MUCH now. The huge piece in the back right was the original tiny rock that had the little teeny sprig on it, and it keeps getting too heavy and falling off. so I keep re-glueing it elsewhere. It fell off the back last week and so now it's over on the right, were I'm sure it will grow onto the glass and eventually fall off again... as always

It's a sand-sifting star. I love it! I've always had one since I started reefing. So hardy, and so helpful.

Thank you everyone!!

The xenia has exploded. I have SO MUCH now. The huge piece in the back right was the original tiny rock that had the little teeny sprig on it, and it keeps getting too heavy and falling off. so I keep re-glueing it elsewhere. It fell off the back last week and so now it's over on the right, were I'm sure it will grow onto the glass and eventually fall off again... as always

It's a sand-sifting star. I love it! I've always had one since I started reefing. So hardy, and so helpful.

That's incredible xenia growth!!!!! What exactly does the star do? Eats the detritus? Or any diatoms/cyano?

Archived