inTank Media Baskets

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

Lot's of news from yesterday! Sorry for not posting an update, it was just a hectic day. Here we go though:

1) One of my local stores went to the wholesaler yesterday and picked out 5 dispar anthias for me. I met him right after he left the wholesaler, so the fish never left the wholesaler bag before they came home with me. They're gorgeous! (The water is yellow because of medication used in the wholesaler's tanks.)

IMG_2978.jpg

New fish is always so stressful though! So far they're doing well and venturing out of hiding, but they haven't eaten yet. Hopefully today they'll eat. Also, the exquisite wrasse got a bit agressive with them. He's never shown any signs of aggression before, so that was weird. Luckily he seems to be calming down and starting to accept them. He mostly ignores them at this point, but once in a while will flare up his top fin and charge at them before swimming away. They were scared at first, but now they just move out of his way a bit and don't go hide. I'm hopeful they'll sort it out and be able to coexist peacefully.

The only other issue is that one of the anthias has a case of pop eye. Since they were all in a bag together moving around, I didn't notice the issue until after they'd settled into the tank and were venturing out. That fish is swimming fine and seems otherwise healthy, so I'm hopeful it will heal. Anyone have any experience with pop eye? Any suggestions for what I should do?

Here they are in my tank. 2 of them were over on the other side of the tank, but they've since grouped back up.

IMG_3047.jpg

2) As I said above, I picked out about 10 new pounds of live rock for the tank, so that puts me at 38 lbs total. I got Real Reef rock, which is manmade to look like live reef rock and then cured in big greenhouses for 12-16 weeks to make it into live rock. Its super colorful and there were lots of different shapes and sizes to choose from. I dug through the whole bin to pick out just the right pieces and I think I succeeded! I got the additions to the left and right side just how I want them, but I still need to figure out how to arrange the middle. That's the only rock I'm questioning. I just kind of plopped it in for now because I need to move the clams and lose corals that are all over the sand out of the way before I can figure out where it looks best. Right now I just feel like its wrecking the open sandbed/negative space look, so we'll see. Anyways, here are photos:

IMG_3003.jpg

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3013.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

Very colorful!

IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3032.jpg

3) I also picked up 7 trochus snails and 3 turbo snails as my CUC.

4) My new Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 reactor came yesterday, so I need to install that tonight. I also got the new gate valve yesterday and I got that all installed with no problems and no leaks. This one works perfectly, so the plumbing is 100% done.

5) My skimmer is awesome! Its already pulling some nice skim mate. Very wet, but this is pretty good considering the tank is brand new and super clean.

IMG_3033.jpg

And a fun photo of the urchin :)

IMG_3038.jpg

• Like 6
Mr. Microscope

Great updates lately. Congrats on the new fish. I hope you can cure the pop eye and get them all eating. Have you tried the cyclope-eze method?

What happened to your euphyllia? Did they not survive the crash?

Great updates lately. Congrats on the new fish. I hope you can cure the pop eye and get them all eating. Have you tried the cyclope-eze method?

What happened to your euphyllia? Did they not survive the crash?

Thank you! Stuff is moving along quickly now :) The cyclop-eze method for getting them to eat? I hadn't yet, but I was planning to feed some smaller food when I get home from work to see if they'd go for that. The LFS I got them from says usually they won't eat for a day or two and then they usually got for frozen mysis or brine. I fed frozen mysis yesterday and they looked interested, but too scared to go after the food. This morning I fed some more frozen mysis and added some Brightwell Microvore food, which is specifically for planktivores like anthias. This evening I'll try some cyclopeeze and I have a frozen coral food cube that has a blend of smaller foods they might like.

I lost every single euphyllia in the crash :( I'm down to just a few nice pieces and most of my zoanthids at this point.

• Like 1

Looks great Felicia. I prefer to get my fish straight from the wholesaler and never touch yucky LFS water anyways so good job. They look really good and healthy as well.... on the not eating yet feed small portions multiple times a day and they will likely come around :)

Also, I think the negative space/ open sand look will be saved when you get the clams and corals mounted.

• Like 1

Finally got a minute to sit down and get these photo's up :)

In chronological order.

IMG_8191new_zps8df33b04.jpg

IMG_8197_zps349542b1.jpg

IMG_8189new_zps54e70f01.jpg

IMG_8227new_zps7572e736.jpg

_MG_8240new_zps06d9d00c.jpg

_MG_8243new_zps823e23b8.jpg

_MG_8251new_zps644dca6a.jpg

_MG_8257new_zps4f763653.jpg

SuppaGenius @ work getting the plumbing distances down. She nailed em!

_MG_8363new_zpsb4d528d6.jpg

Plumbing started off rough due to not having all the right tools on hand. Plus a gate valve being defective. But it's not how you start it's how you finish and we finished like champs!

_MG_8368new_zps12daec7c.jpg

_MG_8372new_zps660c2e56.jpg

_MG_8395new_zps4c04759d.jpg

Water test time :scarry: Let's fill her up

_MG_8400new_zps8f302d9a.jpg

_MG_8399new_zpsb18051d7.jpg

_MG_8413new_zps9a95da7b.jpg

She held beautifully. No leaks No worries :happydance: I was very pleased with how the plumbing came out. Minus little spots of glue/primer here n there :P

_MG_8423new_zpsd32d449a.jpg

Keeper of the light

IMG_8217newlily1_zps6b49d8bf.jpg

Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome ~Arthur Ashe

and a wonderful journey it was :)

IMG_8202new_zpsd7262eba.jpg

• Like 6

Looks great Felicia. I prefer to get my fish straight from the wholesaler and never touch yucky LFS water anyways so good job. They look really good and healthy as well.... on the not eating yet feed small portions multiple times a day and they will likely come around :)

Also, I think the negative space/ open sand look will be saved when you get the clams and corals mounted.

Yeah, getting it straight from the bag from the wholesaler was nice! Minimized stress and the LFS gave me a price cut since they didn't have to acclimate the fish or house/feed them. I paid $12 each for them :) They look super healthy other than that one with popeye. I'm trying to stick with feeding small amounts 3 times per day. Going to try some different foods this evening and see if I can get them eating.

That's what I'm hoping. Just need to get the other things off the sand bed and put that rock in just the right spot, and hopefully I'll like it. Going to mess with that soon. Was just trying to minimize stress on the anthias by having my hands in the tank. Giving them a few days to settle in and start eating.

Btw, here's what the LFS owner said about the anthias with popeye:

"Yea, it's pretty common because they tend to swim and jump frantically when netting, bagging, and transporting. It is always caused from trauma, and usually gets better on their own after a couple of weeks. Just keep an eye on them and feed them well."

Finally got a minute to sit down and get these photo's up :)

Yay! omgomgomg Fun photos! You took some awesome photos of our progress. Thanks for being the photographer :wub:

I seriously could not have done this without Eddie! He is a plumbing pro and kept me from getting super frustrated and giving up when things weren't going smoothly on Saturday. Thanks so much for an amazing weekend! The tank build was a blast and the Valentine's day portion was even better :wub:

• Like 3

Thanks! Its a blue tuxedo urchin. I think they're pretty common :)

Wow, it's glowimg pink in that picture, looks way neater than any blue tuxedo I've ever seen...lol

• Like 1

I've used that rock before! It's so purple...nice rock for sure. I have it in my 8g tank. Love the photos and Lily's pillow :).

The new anthias are so pretty too. I had a fish with popeye, from an injury. It healed within a few days. I'm sure your anthias will be fine. Hopefully the charging won't get any worse. I hate when fish do that..it's stressful for the reefer too LOL.

Everything looks awesome :happydance:.

• Like 1

Wow, it's glowimg pink in that picture, looks way neater than any blue tuxedo I've ever seen...lol

His spines are a pretty maroon color, but when the light was hitting him like that they looked kind of pink. Its also partially the way my iPhone reacts to blue light. He's very pretty, but just a standard blue tuxedo urchin :)

I've used that rock before! It's so purple...nice rock for sure. I have it in my 8g tank. Love the photos and Lily's pillow :).

The new anthias are so pretty too. I had a fish with popeye, from an injury. It healed within a few days. I'm sure your anthias will be fine. Hopefully the charging won't get any worse. I hate when fish do that..it's stressful for the reefer too LOL.

Everything looks awesome :happydance:.

Glad to hear you like that rock. I didn't realize you had used it. I like the color pop it added to the tank since I'm low on corals atm.

Glad to hear you had a fish recover from popeye. I'm less stressed now that I'm hearing it normally heals itself. I just need to get these guys eating and I think they'll be good to go!

I just got home from work and the anthias are out schooling together. I've been watching for about 20 minutes now and I've seen the exquisite posture at them once. He seems to be slowly accepting them. The anthias don't seem phased by it, so hopefully it isn't stressing them out. I think he's just establishing dominance and then all will be well. Dispar anthias are super peaceful, so he'll realize they're no threat and he's the dominant fish soon. Just ready for everyone to settle into the new tank. These anthias are the only new additions, so if they do well then I'm set on fish long term.

Oh and I love Lily's pillow too! That was one of her Christmas presents from Eddie! He's to good at gift giving :) He spoils Lily even more than I do, which I didn't think was possible!

His spines are a pretty maroon color, but when the light was hitting him like that they looked kind of pink. Its also partially the way my iPhone reacts to blue light. He's very pretty, but just a standard blue tuxedo urchin :)

Glad to hear you like that rock. I didn't realize you had used it. I like the color pop it added to the tank since I'm low on corals atm.

Glad to hear you had a fish recover from popeye. I'm less stressed now that I'm hearing it normally heals itself. I just need to get these guys eating and I think they'll be good to go!

I just got home from work and the anthias are out schooling together. I've been watching for about 20 minutes now and I've seen the exquisite posture at them once. He seems to be slowly accepting them. The anthias don't seem phased by it, so hopefully it isn't stressing them out. I think he's just establishing dominance and then all will be well. Dispar anthias are super peaceful, so he'll realize they're no threat and he's the dominant fish soon. Just ready for everyone to settle into the new tank. These anthias are the only new additions, so if they do well then I'm set on fish long term.

Oh and I love Lily's pillow too! That was one of her Christmas presents from Eddie! He's to good at gift giving :) He spoils Lily even more than I do, which I didn't think was possible!

You know, I saw that decorator pillow and I instantly thought, I bet Eddie gave her that LOL. He definitely has the touch. It's too cute.

Yeah, I think if you get them eating well it will be just fine. Unfortunately it has extra stress being in a new tank but they look healthy otherwise so I'm sure it will recover. They really are a striking coloration...so pretty!

• Like 1

You know, I saw that decorator pillow and I instantly thought, I bet Eddie gave her that LOL. He definitely has the touch. It's too cute.

Yeah, I think if you get them eating well it will be just fine. Unfortunately it has extra stress being in a new tank but they look healthy otherwise so I'm sure it will recover. They really are a striking coloration...so pretty!

Yeah, Eddie is just too thoughtful with the presents. He hit it out of the park for my birthday/Valentine's day :)

Yeah they are out and doing well right now. I'm actually uploading a video of them atm, so it'll be up in a few. I have cyclops and coral food blend (small stuff) thawing, so I'll try to feed them in about 15 minutes. They seem like they may finally be settled in enough to eat.

• Like 2

Current view from my couch. I'm in love with these new fish. Having a school is just too fun! Even if it is a big bioload :lol:

You can hear Lily at about 1:06 :lol:

• Like 3

I heard her :). Very cool to see the tank in action. Looks like everyone will get along!!!! That yellow wrasse looks great in there too :).

She was like "Hey! Pay attention to me and not the fish!" :lol:

It does look like they're starting to coexist better. I think it will all be ok! I love my yellow candy hog! He's such a nice bright yellow with pink stripes down his sides.

• Like 2

$12 is a great deal on those anthias!!!!!!!!!! You don't have any "bigger" fish at all right now do you? Right now they are staying together as a safety in numbers thing, but without a bigger or aggressive fish they MIGHT not always stay so tight, so that may be something to think about in the future if you notice them spreading out more..

As far as the popeye I wouldn't be overly concerned right now it is pretty common from injurys.... I would keep an eye on it tho, and if it gets any worse look into potential disease/ parasites obviously.

Great pics as usual Eddie!

• Like 1

You chose some really pretty fish. They just stand out.

Thank you! I've been focusing on colorful, active, open water swimming fish lately. You changed your username!

$12 is a great deal on those anthias!!!!!!!!!! You don't have any "bigger" fish at all right now do you? Right now they are staying together as a safety in numbers thing, but without a bigger or aggressive fish they MIGHT not always stay so tight, so that may be something to think about in the future if you notice them spreading out more..

As far as the popeye I wouldn't be overly concerned right now it is pretty common from injurys.... I would keep an eye on it tho, and if it gets any worse look into potential disease/ parasites obviously.

Great pics as usual Eddie!

Yeah I thought it was an awesome price. The exquisite wrasse is a bit bigger and definitely trying to establish dominance, so he may keep them in a little cluster. He seems to be slowly accepting them though, so we'll see if that lasts.

Yeah, I'm going to keep an eye on that one and hope it starts to look better in a few days. So far it seems to be just fine.

The anthias are eating!!! I fed a mix of mysis, cyclops, and coral food blend (small stuff). The anthias are still scared of me and spooked when I got close to the tank and went into hiding. After I dropped in the food and walked away, they've been popping out and snatching small bits of food and then retreating. Hard to be sure all of them ate since they're basically a big blob of constantly moving fish. Good progress though! I just need them to stop being scared of me so they stay out in the open when I feed.

• Like 2

Always welcome to hear that new fish are feeding. Yeah, 1stimereefer didn't fit me anymore and I only started thinking about it when someone had a thread going about how you chose your screen name.

• Like 2

Always welcome to hear that new fish are feeding. Yeah, 1stimereefer didn't fit me anymore and I only started thinking about it when someone had a thread going about how you chose your screen name.

I love when they start eating. Usually means you've made it through the woods with the new fish. This new name is more appropriate. I love it!

• Like 4

Yeah I thought it was an awesome price. The exquisite wrasse is a bit bigger and definitely trying to establish dominance, so he may keep them in a little cluster. He seems to be slowly accepting them though, so we'll see if that lasts.

Yeah, I'm going to keep an eye on that one and hope it starts to look better in a few days. So far it seems to be just fine.

The anthias are eating!!! I fed a mix of mysis, cyclops, and coral food blend (small stuff). The anthias are still scared of me and spooked when I got close to the tank and went into hiding. After I dropped in the food and walked away, they've been popping out and snatching small bits of food and then retreating. Hard to be sure all of them ate since they're basically a big blob of constantly moving fish. Good progress though! I just need them to stop being scared of me so they stay out in the open when I feed.

Yeah it was pretty much wholesale..... but wait, I thought you already paid for 5 before, did they die at the shop and then they sold you these ones too?? Yeah I noticed when the exquisite and the candy hog got close they grouped tighter ;) Hopefully their presence will be enough to keep them close.

Is it just "popped" or is it cloudy looking as well? If it is just popped looking its very low concern but cloudy could be an issue.

Glad to hear they are eating, they will enjoy the small/ medium foods for sure. My bartletts didn't eat much mysis the 1st few weeks then they couldnt get enough lol :) Have you seen "Poppy" eat yet? lol

Yeah it was pretty much wholesale..... but wait, I thought you already paid for 5 before, did they die at the shop and then they sold you these ones too?? Yeah I noticed when the exquisite and the candy hog got close they grouped tighter ;) Hopefully their presence will be enough to keep them close.

Is it just "popped" or is it cloudy looking as well? If it is just popped looking its very low concern but cloudy could be an issue.

Glad to hear they are eating, they will enjoy the small/ medium foods for sure. My bartletts didn't eat much mysis the 1st few weeks then they couldnt get enough lol :) Have you seen "Poppy" eat yet? lol

I actually got these from a different store. I hadn't paid the original store when they put them on hold. Then all but one of them died, so they got in another order. They put 5 aside for me and then I called the day before I wanted to pick them up and found out they'd died again. I called another store and they were going to the wholesaler the next morning, so they picked out the anthias for me and I met them right after they got back from the wholesaler so I could take the fish still in the bag. It was much cheaper that way than the original store. They were wanting $20 each and then I went through the other store and only paid $12.

I haven't noticed any cloudiness but I'll have to look closer tomorrow when the lights are on.

Yeah I figure they'll take to the mysis before too long. For now they seem to really enjoy the cyclops and small coral foods. Poppy did eat haha. He's actually one of the braver/more outgoing of the group surprisingly, so I definitely saw him chowing down. I'm optimistic since he seems to be doing so well other than being big eyed.

Ok so here's a few photos from last night.

First, a pretty shot of the school of anthias!

IMG_3061.jpg

I got the old BRS reactor taken off and installed the new Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 reactor last night. Right now I just have it running carbon. I decided to set it down in the sump to make it easy to get to for maintenance and also so that if it ever leaks it won't be an issue. Its hooked up to the tee in my return line and flow is controlled by a gate valve.

IMG_3055.jpg

I also installed some racks inside the doors of the stand yesterday evening to help with keeping things organized.

IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

And finally, I got most of the corals off of the sand bed (I just tossed them into spots, so not where they'll be staying.) and messed with the scape a bit. What does everyone think?

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

Also, I wanted to ask, what does everyone recommend in terms of media? I have this new Phosban reactor and I'm debating what would be the most beneficial to my system. Carbon, GFO, a mix? Something different like biopellets?

• Like 3

First, cute fish!

Second, my BF installed the same reactor on his tank last night. I think he put phoslock in it.

Third, that rack is genius!!

Fourth, I like the way you have the tank scaped. Lots of open space between and around the rocks!

• Like 1