SaltCritters.com

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

I thought maybe I could supplement with nori, but I heard from several people that the urchins don't really eat nori well and will starve. I read its because they eat by using their mouth to scrape at the rocks for algae, and its hard to replicate that with a sheet of nori. Plus, they do pick up frags to wear as hats, so that would probably get annoying long term. He's just going to be a temporary algae eater.

I supplement mine with nori- just rubberband it to a rock and put it fairly close to wherever it's at already. For whatever reason, the snails can home in on the nori wherever I put it in the tank, but the urch can end up going all the way around before it ever finds it. I've only had mine a few months so hopefully it's not starving, but when it gets to the rock with nori it stays until there's nothing left.

I tried hand-feeding it like the ones at the aquarium Polar mentioned, but it never worked. The ones at the aquarium really grabbed onto the food before moving it to their mouth, whereas with my tuxedo urch it didn't really seem to do that.

• Like 1

I still have your bali green slimer :). Darn thing is sooooo slow to grow for me. I'm hoping soon, since it's not being attacked by the monticap, it will start to take off. It's really encrusting at the base now. I just need it to grow up and out.

• Like 1

I still have your bali green slimer :). Darn thing is sooooo slow to grow for me. I'm hoping soon, since it's not being attacked by the monticap, it will start to take off. It's really encrusting at the base now. I just need it to grow up and out.

I know you do! I was going to ask you for a frag, but I know it grows so slow for you. Luckily its a common SPS, so I was able to find a nice chunky frag locally. I haven't done SPS is like a year now, so not idea how fast it will grow in my new system. I hope it grows like a weed like my old Bali Green Slimer. I bet now that you have it away from the monticap it should take off for you. Those monti's grow like weeds for you, so obviously you have good parameters for SPS corals.

I supplement mine with nori- just rubberband it to a rock and put it fairly close to wherever it's at already. For whatever reason, the snails can home in on the nori wherever I put it in the tank, but the urch can end up going all the way around before it ever finds it. I've only had mine a few months so hopefully it's not starving, but when it gets to the rock with nori it stays until there's nothing left.

I tried hand-feeding it like the ones at the aquarium Polar mentioned, but it never worked. The ones at the aquarium really grabbed onto the food before moving it to their mouth, whereas with my tuxedo urch it didn't really seem to do that.

Good to know. I may have to give that a try. So far its still got plenty of algae left, but its doing a good job leaving behind nice clean patches of rock as it cruises around. I bet it could eat the nori when it was rubber banded to a rock because I read they feed by scraping at the rock with their mouth. Having the algae on the rock is more natural for them. They don't normally grab onto something and hold it to eat it, so that's probably why you can't just hand it nori sheets. I'll give feeding it a try once the algae in my tank is almost depleted so I can decide if I have to return it. Right now I don't want to distract it from eating all the nuisance algae off my rocks.

• Like 3

I know you do! I was going to ask you for a frag, but I know it grows so slow for you. Luckily its a common SPS, so I was able to find a nice chunky frag locally. I haven't done SPS is like a year now, so not idea how fast it will grow in my new system. I hope it grows like a weed like my old Bali Green Slimer. I bet now that you have it away from the monticap it should take off for you. Those monti's grow like weeds for you, so obviously you have good parameters for SPS corals.

Yeah, I think it just needed to get away from the monticaps. When I cut it, there was still some parts of it left up there. It's almost completely covered by the monticap now. I'm sure it was too much stress for it when it was up there. Instead of using it's energy for growth, it was using it to fight :).
  • Like 2

Yeah, I think it just needed to get away from the monticaps. When I cut it, there was still some parts of it left up there. It's almost completely covered by the monticap now. I'm sure it was too much stress for it when it was up there. Instead of using it's energy for growth, it was using it to fight :).

Sounds exactly right. At least it looked healthy and colorful, even if it wasn't growing much. I bet you'll have a nice little colony of it in no time now!

• Like 1

So wheres the new pics? You picked up new coral right :)

Only two new pieces which are nothing exciting. I restrained myself from buying anything from the LFS. No new corals until after the transfer. Don't want to lose any nice new pieces due to the stress of the transfer. I did however get a frag of Bali Green Slimer from a member of my local club. It was free and I miss my old slimer colony. Also, our local club meeting was a frag demo, so they were fragging up big colonies and giving away the frags. Nothing exciting, just red montis and candy canes, but I did grab a piece of Hollywood Stunner chalice. Really nothing exciting enough for photos :lol:

• Like 1

$1/gallon?! I'll supply that with free overnight shipping! LOL

Ha! Its not cheap to do it all the time, but its WAY cheaper than getting it from a local store and saves me a ton of effort when I need to make a ton of water. My tiny one bedroom apartment doesn't have space for a brute can for mixing unless I want it to just hang out in the middle of my living room :lol: I do all my mixing in 5 gallon buckets, so to make 30 gallons, I'd need to have 6 buckets of water heating and mixing. Too much work!

• Like 3

Ha! Its not cheap to do it all the time, but its WAY cheaper than getting it from a local store and saves me a ton of effort when I need to make a ton of water. My tiny one bedroom apartment doesn't have space for a brute can for mixing unless I want it to just hang out in the middle of my living room :lol: I do all my mixing in 5 gallon buckets, so to make 30 gallons, I'd need to have 6 buckets of water heating and mixing. Too much work!

25 gallon Brute, a set of wheels, and a giant cover, say red velvet. Victorian Table. :D

• Like 3

I can relate! Water mixing day means my small bathroom is a mixing station! I can't imagine what I would do if I needed to mix up 30 gallons! Plus my curious cat always tries to drink my saltwater!!

• Like 1

Good luck.Nice equipments.

I have jebao dc3000 and jebao rw-4 wavemaker very very efektiv,...price and performance 10/10

Thank you! Glad to hear you like the Jebao pump. I have the WP-10 powerhead and it works great, so I figured I'd give their other equipment a shot.

25 gallon Brute, a set of wheels, and a giant cover, say red velvet. Victorian Table. :D

Ha! Too funny. Sadly that would not remotely match my decor :lol: I'm all for spending $30 on water to save my self the hassle this time around. Of course for water changes, I'll mix my own water in my nice convenient 5 gallon buckets.

I can relate! Water mixing day means my small bathroom is a mixing station! I can't imagine what I would do if I needed to mix up 30 gallons! Plus my curious cat always tries to drink my saltwater!!

See, you understand! Mixing a lot of water can be a pain. I did it when I set up my seahorse tank and again when I restarted the 30 gallon last year, but both times it took me several days to get all the water I needed ready. Too much of a headache. My cat is also always in the middle of all the aquarium stuff. :lol:

My bracket for the DP-4 dosing pump showed up yesterday so that I can mount it inside the stand. I also got some Brightwell Aquatics Microvore and Acropower from Amazon. I'm going to dose those in the other two DP-4 channels. The first two channels will be B-Ionic Ca and Alk. Oh, and I got some bottled bacteria to help with any mini-cycle issues after the transfer and some epoxy. I have almost everything I need on hand for the build now. Now I just need Eddie to get his butt out here to help me...I'm getting impatient :lol: J/k, he's getting here Friday evening, I can wait until then. Saturday is going to be insanity! So excited! Expect fun photos of me plumbing and stuff.

Mr. Microscope

I feel your pain on ALL ends of this spectrum!
  • Like 1

I'm still waiting on those pictures Felicia :lol:

Yeah, so I was lame and fell asleep on my couch at like 8 pm yesterday. :lol: Its been a long couple of weeks. Maybe I'll get some tonight. If not, I think you can wait until this weekend when there will be TONS of photos of the crazy transfer/build.

• Like 1

WRONG! I expect pics tonight of, and after the transfer lol

My, aren't you demanding? :P

Here, have a really awful FTS of my currently very messy tank to tide you over.

IMG_2744.jpg

And a cute photo of Lily for good measure :D

IMG_2868.jpg

• Like 6

See that wasn't so hard was it.... Thank you.... but I don't see the new frags :angry: lol

That's because that photo is from a couple days ago. I'm still working right now, not photographing tank stuff sadly.

You silly kids are always workin :wacko:

I'm working on writing a grant submission with my boss, so we keep going back and forth on revisions. Its due Monday, but I don't want to work at all this weekend because of Eddie visiting and the tank upgrade. So I'm trying to get it all done by Friday afternoon.

• Like 3