Coral Vue Hydros

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

I have the same skimmer for my 60g rock flower tank. I like it alot.

Great to hear! I hope it works well for me. Seems really nice!

Got some updates for you guys!

1) My Jebao DC-3000 return pump arrived and looks very nice!

IMG_2733.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg

2) I know my skimmer is on the small side, so I was going to save up and upgrade it later. Then a member of my local forum posted a Reef Octopus NWB-110 for sale. I got it for only $75, so that worked out great! Its so much more legit than my current skimmer. Its rated for around 100 gallons, so it should be perfect for my new system. Definitely was perfect timing that he decided to sell it.

IMG_2735.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg

3) Progress is being made on the sump. I siliconed in the baffle for the ATO reservoir. I filled it up with water friday afternoon and have been letting it sit to make sure there are no leaks. All good on that front! Now its time to do the other baffles. Here's the sump with some of the equipment so you can get an idea of the space.

IMG_2741.jpg

4) I have settled on my new fish for the new tank!

First thing is that the other day, my firefish just suddenly died. No sign of disease or trauma, so my theory is old age. All the other fish are fine and she was getting old. She was one of my first ever saltwater fish and I've had her since my 10 gallon. I'd had her for 3.5 years (who knows how old she was when I bought her) and I looked up the lifespan for firefish and its only supposed to be 3-4 years, so I guess she lived her full life. Poor thing. :(

Well that puts me down one fish, and then I decided that it was time to rehome the coris wrasse. He was just getting too big and a bit aggressive, so I figured he'd be better off in a larger tank. That frees up another space for some new fish.

So anyways, I had settled on dispar anthias (cause I love Eddie's!) as the new fish because they're colorful, they're open water, active swimmers, and they swim in groups/schools. I make this decision and then the next day one of my LFS posts on Facebook that they just got in a HUGE shipment of dispar anthias. I didn't want them to sell out of them by the time I did the upgrade, so I decided to catch the coris wrasse and head to the LFS. I turned in the coris wrasse from the main tank and the one from the seahorse tank (now taken down) for store credit and then was shopping for anthias. I was thinking 3 would make a nice mini school, but then after talking with several friends, everyone was saying 5 was the best number. The ones my LFS got in are tiny and 5 of them would bring my total fish count to 10, which I think is a perfect number for the 40B with the new beefed up filtration. Also, 5 makes such a nice school/group and looks so cool! Well I wasn't really wanting to bring home 5 fish and put them in the current tank, but I knew they'd sell out before I do the transfer in two weeks. Well anyways, the store offered to hold the fish for me for two weeks! I'll go pick them up a couple days after I do the tank transfer. Here they are in the tank at the LFS!

So anyways, the new fish list is:

1 - Yellow Watchman Goby

1 - Candy Stripe Hogfish

1 - Exquisite Wrasse

2 - Ocellaris Clowns

5 - Dispar Anthias

5) My main tank has sooo much algae since the partial crash and I want to get the rock cleaned up before the transfer. So I picked up a pretty tuxedo urchin from the LFS while I was there. I know my tank can't support him long term, so I'll let him clean up the algae for the next couple weeks and then when I go to pick up my anthias, I'll trade him back in for some store credit. He's so cool! He's already hard at work removing the algae and he's wearing a zoanthid colony as a hat, haha.

6) I went to see a friend of mine locally who does aquarium serving for a living and used to own an LFS. He now has about 1000 gallons of aquariums in his backyard in a shed. Anyways, he's the one who took my remaining seahorse, so I got to see how he was doing. He's grown a ton and is currently a nice pretty golden color. He lives in a ~60 gallon refugium with tons of nice live plant hitches and a copperband butterfly. He gets fed frozen mysis and also gets a ton of live food in the fuge. Horrible photo, but here he is hanging out!

IMG_2705.jpg

7) Finally, my duncan colony is looking AMAZING right now. The tank is gross so I don't want to post FTS's, but I'll share a couple nice photos of my duncan colony. :)

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

Whew! I think that's everything for now :)

Had to move this to the new page.

• Like 1

Looks like your making some great progress!! Love the little dispars they will make a great addition and give you some nice active color :)

Thanks, Chris! I'm trying to get things done over here. Been working on sump baffles for the last little bit and now its time for a break. I am so excited about those dispars. Should be add so much color and movement on the fish front :)

You have been busy! Nice score on the skimmer and that was timely about the anthias too. Looks like everything is falling into place.

Yep, keeping busy over here. Trying to make steady progress on this build. Everything really is working out nicely!

• Like 1

Thanks, Chris! I'm trying to get things done over here. Been working on sump baffles for the last little bit and now its time for a break. I am so excited about those dispars. Should be add so much color and movement on the fish front :)

Yeah they will be really nice to watch I'm sure, can't wait to see them in your system :)

That duncan colony is pretty dang impressive too! Now get your sump done and quit messin around! :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah they will be really nice to watch I'm sure, can't wait to see them in your system :)

That duncan colony is pretty dang impressive too! Now get your sump done and quit messin around! :lol:

The duncan colony started out as one full size head with two babies back in my original 10 gallon. Its one of my favorite corals, so I'm glad its survived both crashes. When its really puffed up its about the size of a baseball. It has a really dense growth pattern like acans, so there are over a hundred heads.

I have two baffles left to put in the sump. I can only do one or two at a time and then I have to let the silicone cure. Its too hard to not bump baffles with wet silicone out of place if I try to do other ones that are close together. The return pump chamber is done and I'm leak testing it now. I also put in one other baffle, so that leaves me with two left to go, which I hope to do tonight.

• Like 2

The urchin was up on the glass earlier eating algae, so I took a photo and a short video. Its just too cool! Too bad I can't keep it long term. Once it depletes my algae outbreak, I'm going to return it so it doesn't starve.

IMG_2752.jpg

• Like 4

Looks nice so far, can't wait to see how you scape and stock this new tank!

Thanks! I love my current scape, so I think I'm going to keep that scape and just add a bit more rock to it. I'll have 5" more depth in the new tank, so I'm hoping to add one or two new low islands in front of the current islands.

• Like 2

Jesus. I will never be able to sleep again.

Because of the fish or the guy holding the fish. I could never watch that show because the main guy creeps me out!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for all the Birthday wishes! :D Did my celebrating with friends over the weekend, so today is just a work day. Nice to sit down at my desk and check NR to see lots of Birthday wishes :)

That urchin pic is awesome! I had a purple/pink one in my old 180 and the thing would cruise around the tank pretty good always on the hunt for some algae :)

Thanks! I love watching the urchins feeder tentacles come out between their spines. Definitely a fun macro photography subject, but I just had my iPhone handy. This one sure is booking it! Its one of the blue ones, so its blue with burgundy spines. I need to get a good photo of the top side of it because its very pretty! Wish I had a 180 so I could keep it long term.

Suppasexy skimmer! I might just have to bring that back with me :ninja: You know that would match my sump better :P

It does match your sump better, but this one is all mine! Unless you'd like to buy me a brand new one as a replacement :P You can just be jealous of my sexy red skimmer.

Do you have to share your special day with the groundhog? Maybe not since you don't live in Pennsylvania. Anyway, Happy Birthday!

The only person who usually teases me about that is my dad. He always says "Happy Groundhogs Day!...oh and happy birthday too." Or he asks me if I saw my shadow. Haha! He likes to tease. Most people seem to forget its Groundhogs Day.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Thanks! I love watching the urchins feeder tentacles come out between their spines.

Actually, they only use those for movement, not for feeding. They're called podia. Mr. Microscope had an awesome/creepy video of his urchin using them. :)

He also did some microscopy on it after he lost it. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/280413-mr-microscopes-microscopy-of-the-reef-sea-urchin-252/?p=4905161

• Like 2

Actually, they only use those for movement, not for feeding. They're called podia. Mr. Microscope had an awesome/creepy video of his urchin using them. :)

He also did some microscopy on it after he lost it. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/280413-mr-microscopes-microscopy-of-the-reef-sea-urchin-252/?p=4905161

Ah, well that's good to know. They eat by scraping at the rock with their mouth right? I'll have to look more into urchin biology because they're super cool. I missed that Mr. M had done that. Super cool!

Happy Birthday and what a pretty colored urchin!!!!!

Happy Birthday, Felicia!!!! It's groundhog day??? Didn't even know :).

Happy belated birthday!

Thanks so much, everyone! I feel the NR love :)

• Like 2

Thanks! I love watching the urchins feeder tentacles come out between their spines. Definitely a fun macro photography subject, but I just had my iPhone handy. This one sure is booking it! Its one of the blue ones, so its blue with burgundy spines. I need to get a good photo of the top side of it because its very pretty! Wish I had a 180 so I could keep it long term.

Great shot, no way my phone could pull that off even if I ran whiter lights lol If you feed nori at all you could probably sustain it pretty well in your new tank :)

Happy belated birthday as well! :)

• Like 1