Cultivated Reef

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

Great shot, no way my phone could pull that off even if I ran whiter lights lol If you feed nori at all you could probably sustain it pretty well in your new tank :)

Happy belated birthday as well! :)

Thanks, Chris!

I actually always change my Maxspect light to a much whiter setting just for photos. If I have it the least bit blue, my iPhone can't take a decent photo to save its life. I used to refuse to take photos with my phone, but the iPhone 5 that I have now has a pretty decent camera.

I thought maybe I could supplement with nori, but I heard from several people that the urchins don't really eat nori well and will starve. I read its because they eat by using their mouth to scrape at the rocks for algae, and its hard to replicate that with a sheet of nori. Plus, they do pick up frags to wear as hats, so that would probably get annoying long term. He's just going to be a temporary algae eater.

• Like 1

Finished siliconing the baffles into the sump tonight. Now they just have to dry overnight and then tomorrow, I can finish water testing it. So far, I tested the ATO reservoir and the return pump chamber with no problems.

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

• Like 3

How do you keep the silicon so clean. All 3 sumps I siliconed baffles in were not as clean neat as yours. I am always glad that my sump are behind closed doors.LOL

How do you keep the silicon so clean. All 3 sumps I siliconed baffles in were not as clean neat as yours. I am always glad that my sump are behind closed doors.LOL

That photo is deceptive. My silicone work is much messier than it appears in the dark, low quality photo. Sumps are supposed to be the functional part, not the pretty part, so its all good :)

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Happy birthday! You and my little sister share the same day. We're all three Feb b-days.

The urchins at the Seattle Aquarium touch tanks are fed sheets of algae. They're the purple spine urchin, so maybe that makes the difference, but try it while you have it there just in case it works out. I worried about my blue tuxedo surviving too, but it also eats coralline which makes me very happy.

• Like 1

Happy birthday! You and my little sister share the same day. We're all three Feb b-days.

The urchins at the Seattle Aquarium touch tanks are fed sheets of algae. They're the purple spine urchin, so maybe that makes the difference, but try it while you have it there just in case it works out. I worried about my blue tuxedo surviving too, but it also eats coralline which makes me very happy.

Thank you! That's awesome. When is your birthday?

Interesting. Yeah I'll have to give it a try before I return him. Right now he's dangling from the float switch in my tank, haha.

That photo is deceptive. My silicone work is much messier than it appears in the dark, low quality photo. Sumps are supposed to be the functional part, not the pretty part, so its all good :)

Stop deflecting compliments :P Clearly you're a DIY bad A@@ over there! Accept it :D I've tried siliconing on two different occasions and failed miserably both times. So i really appreciate your work and always admired your handiness.

Spoiler alert y'all shh.gif... A little birdie just told me that it might even be leak proof too :D Damn she's good!

K, she's gonna :slap: for that update

• Like 3

I am a February b-day as well! I guess I am in good company!!! :-)
  • Like 1
Polarcollision

Thank you! That's awesome. When is your birthday?

Interesting. Yeah I'll have to give it a try before I return him. Right now he's dangling from the float switch in my tank, haha.

the 12th, how about you?

• Like 2

Stop deflecting compliments :P Clearly you're a DIY bad A@@ over there! Accept it :D I've tried siliconing on two different occasions and failed miserably both times. So i really appreciate your work and always admired your handiness.

Spoiler alert y'all shh.gif... A little birdie just told me that it might even be leak proof too :D Damn she's good!

K, she's gonna :slap: for that update

Why thank you :) I'll attempt to do better at taking compliments. I'm just too much of a perfectionist at times :lol:

Yep, its leak proof! All the baffles are properly sealed, so its all ready to go. Stay tuned for a video of the finished sump with some of the equipment.

I'm not going to hit you for telling them my update. Unlike you I don't have to make all my announcements all dramatic :P

the 12th, how about you?

Cool! Lots of February birthday :)

• Like 1

I am the 17th.

Cool video of the sump. It should work well for your tank.

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Definitely WAY more roomy than my current sump. Should make maintenance so much easier :)

• Like 1

Sump looks great! So what will you do with the old "family heirloom" tank stand? You can't get rid of it can you? :D

Thanks, Gena! Unfortunately, I think I will have to get rid of it. I just don't have anywhere to store it. Plus, having the sump in there has really ruined the inside of the stand with all the moisture, so it wouldn't work as anything other than an aquarium stand at this point.

• Like 1

Looking good, cool sump video.

Lookin' good!

Thanks, guys! :) I can't wait to do the transfer! Just one more week before that can happen. I'm pretty much out of things to do on the tank in the meantime.

• Like 2

Make awata watah while you wait! (say that 10x fast)

Ha! I am being epically lazy and having my friend who does aquarium maintenance for a living deliver me 30 gallons of premixed saltwater the day before the upgrade. :) He charges me $1/gallon for premixed saltwater and it is so much easier when I have to make large quantities of water. I still mix my own water change water, but for big emergency water changes or and upgrade like this, I'm just too lazy. :lol:

• Like 4

Ha! I am being epically lazy and having my friend who does aquarium maintenance for a living deliver me 30 gallons of premixed saltwater the day before the upgrade. :) He charges me $1/gallon for premixed saltwater and it is so much easier when I have to make large quantities of water. I still mix my own water change water, but for big emergency water changes or and upgrade like this, I'm just too lazy. :lol:

Sounds like a good plan, cant wait :)

• Like 1

Cool! Lots of February birthday :)

February is a full month here.... Oldest sons birthday is the 9th, obviously the 14th is valentines, the 20th is the wifes birthday, and the 28th is our anniversary of when we 1st started dating :lol:

• Like 1

Best of luck on the transfer! Looking forward to it for sure!

Sounds like a good plan, cant wait :)

Can't wait to see!!!

Only one more week! Almost there!

February is a full month here.... Oldest sons birthday is the 9th, obviously the 14th is valentines, the 20th is the wifes birthday, and the 28th is our anniversary of when we 1st started dating :lol:

Wow, yeah, definitely a full month for you! Lots of awesome things in February :)

So I went to the local aquarium club meeting today which was fun. They were doing a fragging demo, since the frag swap is coming up next month. Afterwards, I went to the LFS nearby to go check on my new anthias and I have sad news...all but one of them died :( They're working on getting some more in for me. Definitely a bummer though! Hopefully I can get ahold of 5 new ones. In good news, I got to catch up with some local reefing friends and I picked up a bali slimer frag from a local member. I miss my old colony and now that I'm going to do SPS again, I asked around for a frag. I know its a really common, basic SPS but its one of my absolute favorites. Its just so vibrant and I like the growth pattern.

• Like 3