Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

Yeah I am going to start looking a bit more pretty soon, might even just bite the bullet and pay double the cost of the darn thing for shipping it by itself :wacko:

Glad you like it, theres a reason I posted it here and not my thread. Its definitely a nice size ;)

That sucks about the new gorg, it was a beautiful piece :( I was once told they can let off a toxin like leathers so I haven't been overly quick to pick any up since one and only before but man have I been tempted a few times! Is it possible anything is eating it or has some kind of pest or something? Hopefully its just mad and will chill out and get happy soon I really want to see it do good for you!

While pretty much everything in the ocean can do chemical warfare, gorgonians don't exactly have great defenses in that regard lol, they got nothing on leathers!

Yeah, it is an NPS, the polyp shape is a telltale sign. If you think you're feeding enough (it'll need to get small-particle foods at least once daily) then it is not receiving enough flow, or the flow is not laminar enough for it. I would clip off the dead/dying bits and then slap it in its face with flow. :)

Yeah I'm pretty bummed about the gorg, but it was a gamble taking an NPS one that I'm not familiar with. The photosynthetic caribbean gorgs are so easy, but they're really common lately and they're mostly the same colors. I wanted to try a different one, but seems it wasn't well suited for aquarium life.

I feed small particulate food 3 times a day for the anthias, so the gorg had plenty to eat. I put it right in front of the MP10 because I know they like flow but it just started melting away. Its almost entirely dead now. It just rapidly deteriorated. I'm probably going to pull what's left of it out today because I think its past saving :( Ugh! Oh well. Live and learn.

• Like 1

I am trying really hard to stay up on my maintenance with this tank, so to keep myself accountable, I've been keeping a log of all the maintenance. So organized this time!

Aquarium%20Maintenance%20Log%20Screensho

• Like 2

Ah, sorry about the gorg. I love them but have always been afraid to try a NPS one. With the seahorses already contributing more than their share of nutrients, (more like waste in their case) I don't choose anything that needs constant target feedings. I am actually not the most consistent about that as it is, LOL.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Live and learn.

That's all we can do! It was a learning experience if nothing else!

Check out some of the ReefGen gorgonians, they are interesting.

• Like 2

I checked them out...pretty gorgonians! How do you order from them?

I am trying really hard to stay up on my maintenance with this tank, so to keep myself accountable, I've been keeping a log of all the maintenance. So organized this time!

Aquarium%20Maintenance%20Log%20Screensho

Look at you :). You may get away with not doing 10g a week. I only do 5 gallons a week with no issues. Saves on salt too :).
  • Like 1

Ah, sorry about the gorg. I love them but have always been afraid to try a NPS one. With the seahorses already contributing more than their share of nutrients, (more like waste in their case) I don't choose anything that needs constant target feedings. I am actually not the most consistent about that as it is, LOL.

I had the same issue with my seahorse tank. Just so many nutrients going into those systems. Photosynthetic stuff is sooo much easier :)

Not too bad, but they're a wholesaler :(

Look at you :). You may get away with not doing 10g a week. I only do 5 gallons a week with no issues. Saves on salt too :).

Yeah, 10 gallon is a lot, but I figure it will help clear up the crazy algae I have right now. Also, I still seem to be in the new tank syndrome phase (diatoms!) and so I'm trying to keep up with larger water changes until everything gets balanced out.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Not too bad, but they're a wholesaler :(

You can either ask a local store to get them for you, or places like Unique Corals and Live Aquaria sell them. :)

Yeah, 10 gallon is a lot, but I figure it will help clear up the crazy algae I have right now. Also, I still seem to be in the new tank syndrome phase (diatoms!) and so I'm trying to keep up with larger water changes until everything gets balanced out.

10 gallon WCs are a pain. I do a 10 gallons 3Xs a week on my system. It reminds me that I am not as young as I used to be!

You can either ask a local store to get them for you, or places like Unique Corals and Live Aquaria sell them. :)

Not ReefGen Gorgs, but Aquascapers (ie Coral Morphologic) has a wide array of aquacultured photosynthetic gorgonians as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Felicia, this tank upgrade is wonderful!. The live rock is lovely. Your fish are so colorful. Of course your placement of corals is spot-on.

You are as lovely and clever as ever! Give Lily as scratch behind the ears and under the chin from me! :wub:

jedimasterben

Not ReefGen Gorgs, but Aquascapers (ie Coral Morphologic) has a wide array of aquacultured photosynthetic gorgonians as well.

They dont carry the same species that ReefGen cultures, they only culture the common Caribbean ones (and at frighteningly high prices now, unfortunately).
  • 4 weeks later...

I really hope this means theres a lionfish coming to the tank :) .....its a lonely club :(

Maybe... ;)

Here's a hint:

• Like 3

Maybe... ;)

Here's a hint:

Well that is an awesome sign :lol: Is he eating for you yet? It took me a while to train my fumanchu but its so worth the effort.

• Like 1

Well that is an awesome sign :lol: Is he eating for you yet? It took me a while to train my fumanchu but its so worth the effort.

He's been at Aquatic Collection (LFS) for over a month and they have him trained onto frozen. I got to see him eat silverside chunks like a beast yesterday. I'm actually going to pick him up in a few hours. Decided I was bored with my fish (also had my candy hog go rogue) and that I needed a change. Switching it up to a mixed reef + predator tank. About to go catch all my fish and shrimp except the clowns and starry blenny and then I'll be bringing home the Fu Manchu and a snowflake eel. The plan is to let those two settle in and then try to find a dwarf fuzzy.

• Like 1

He's been at Aquatic Collection (LFS) for over a month and they have him trained onto frozen. I got to see him eat silverside chunks like a beast yesterday. I'm actually going to pick him up in a few hours. Decided I was bored with my fish (also had my candy hog go rogue) and that I needed a change. Switching it up to a mixed reef + predator tank. About to go catch all my fish and shrimp except the clowns and starry blenny and then I'll be bringing home the Fu Manchu and a snowflake eel. The plan is to let those two settle in and then try to find a dwarf fuzzy.

Thats an awesome setup. I have fu and dwarf as well and wouldnt trade them for anything. Looking to pick up another leaf scorpion to round out my collection. Well cant way to see pics and hope they do well for you!

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Oh he looks awesome, love his face! Can't wait to hear what you're going to call him. And so wonderful that that he's eating frozen.

• Like 1

Thats an awesome setup. I have fu and dwarf as well and wouldnt trade them for anything. Looking to pick up another leaf scorpion to round out my collection. Well cant way to see pics and hope they do well for you!

Thanks! They seem like awesome fish. I want something with a bit more personality and more interactive with me. I think I'll enjoy feeding them and they're supposed to be like puffers in that they recognize when you're by the tank and beg for food.

Oh he looks awesome, love his face! Can't wait to hear what you're going to call him. And so wonderful that that he's eating frozen.

He's a very neat fish! Love his mustache! I'll have to come up with a fun name. Kind of reminds me of one of those Chinese dragons with the funny mustaches, so maybe I'll name him after a chinese dragon.

Argh! Catching fish is such a pain. One of the anthias and the tiny coris wrasse are giving me hell. If I don't catch them soon, they're going to be lionfish snacks. Grrr...

Thanks! They seem like awesome fish. I want something with a bit more personality and more interactive with me. I think I'll enjoy feeding them and they're supposed to be like puffers in that they recognize when you're by the tank and beg for food.

He's a very neat fish! Love his mustache! I'll have to come up with a fun name. Kind of reminds me of one of those Chinese dragons with the funny mustaches, so maybe I'll name him after a chinese dragon.

Argh! Catching fish is such a pain. One of the anthias and the tiny coris wrasse are giving me hell. If I don't catch them soon, they're going to be lionfish snacks. Grrr...

Yes they sure do love to beg. They follow you around the tank hoping for a handout...lol

I wouldnt worry too much about catching the other fish right away because depending on their size your fu will be uninterested. IME they only go after shrimp and really small fish.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

What!?? This tank just took a very interesting turn. Cool cool! This will indeed be an interesting road to travel. Good luck!

• Like 1

Yes they sure do love to beg. They follow you around the tank hoping for a handout...lol

I wouldnt worry too much about catching the other fish right away because depending on their size your fu will be uninterested. IME they only go after shrimp and really small fish.

I had to catch the candy hog because he was beating the crap out of all the other fish, so I figured I'd try to get as many of the fish out as possible without totally tearing up the tank. I ended up leaving a few that I didn't plan to leave in because I just couldn't catch them. So right now in terms of fish I have the pair of ocellaris clowns and the starry blenny that I planned to keep. Then I have one dispar anthias and a tiny coris wrasse that I couldn't catch. The anthias is probably safe, but the coris wrasse is TINY (think smaller than a neon goby) so I am worried he's going to be a snack but I just couldn't catch him. Oh well.

What!?? This tank just took a very interesting turn. Cool cool! This will indeed be an interesting road to travel. Good luck!

Haha! Surprising, huh? I've been in a rut with my tanks for a while and I just needed to do something new and different to get me excited again. I loved having the seahorses since they're uncommon and I could research their care and tips and stuff. They were too much work though. I wanted something unique but maybe a bit less work. Lionfish are supposed to be hardy and only need to eat 2-3 times a week, so I thought they'd be a cool way to go. Also, I've always wanted an eel so I had the opportunity to get one with a predator tank. :)

• Like 2

Introducing the new Fu Manchu lionfish! I have decided to name him Mushu after the little dragon in Mulan. He's still pretty shocked by the change in environment since he'd been living at the LFS for over a month in a tiny cube with absolutely no decor or PVC pipes or anything. He's just sort of chilling on the rock on the left side of the tank right now.

IMG_4468_1.jpg

IMG_4470.jpg

See the resemblance?

mushu__disney_s_mulan___1998__by_raptoru

I managed to get him acclimated and into the tank without him stinging me. That's the only thing I'm nervous about with the new lionfish. I will have to me much more careful when I'm working on the tank. Here's my lionfish protection, haha!

IMG_4474.jpg

The new snowflake eel is also settling in nicely. He's been slithering all over the tank checking out all the different crevices and caves in the rocks. Trying to find just the right home I think. Right now he's settled into the front right rock and keeps poking his head out. I have always wanted an eel and I am so fascinated! I'll have some videos up in a moment. He's being photo shy.

Awesome! Really looking forward to seeing the progress on this. That lion looks bad-ass!

I think he has the prettiest color and coolest pattern of any fish I've had. :)

Video time!

• Like 8