SaltCritters.com

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

And a quick video for you guys!

[Youtube]

Not crazy! Needed new awesome fish! :)

Very cool! What song is that? It's really growing on me :). Can't wait to see my giant squammy in this tank :happydance:.
  • Like 1

Love those lions!

When I was a kid, my dad had a tank at his office with a great big Volitans in it, and I used to love watching it eat. They'd drop goldfish in the tank, and he'd just casually swim next to it, like, "Oh hey... don't mind me."

Then a little twitch of the lion's body, and the goldfish was gone. It was pretty amazing.

• Like 1

That lionfish looks great in there! Randomly, I'm going to a talk next week on how to fish for, kill, fillet, and eat lionfish :D

Hey that's ok! Helping save the Florida reefs and fish are yummy anyway :) always though it was a confradiction that I am in this hobby and seafood is my favorite food haha. You'll have to let me know how lion fish tastes. We just won't be eating mine!

Congrats! Beautiful! I love the idea of keeping ghost shrimp on the betta tank. Except I would have to get rid of my betta... he eats ghost shrimp... lol. He is not "community friendly". He loves his Amano shrimp but everyone else is like ringing a dinner bell. Lol

FYI you are making it real tempting to throw all my money at a 40B set up until the 150 upgrade lol

Well my hope is that my betta won't eat the shrimp. I've never housed him with shrimp before though so no idea. So far yesterday he just ignores them, so hopefully it stays that way so I can use his tank and ghost shrimp storage.

Haha! They're only $40 at Petco :)

Very cool! What song is that? It's really growing on me :). Can't wait to see my giant squammy in this tank :happydance:.

Thanks, Gena! It's called Shut Up and Dance by Walk the Moon. I like it and it keeps getting stuck in my head so it ended up in my videos.

The squammy will be awesome in there! I have to figure out a really good spot for it :)

Love those lions!

When I was a kid, my dad had a tank at his office with a great big Volitans in it, and I used to love watching it eat. They'd drop goldfish in the tank, and he'd just casually swim next to it, like, "Oh hey... don't mind me."

Then a little twitch of the lion's body, and the goldfish was gone. It was pretty amazing.

That's awesome! I think it would be fun to see mine eat live feeder fish, but I don't want them thinking my clownfish are food. Trying to stick to frozen and ghost shrimp until I get the new lion weaned onto frozen.
  • Like 3

Hahaha I dont expect you to eat yours ;) But I will let you know. I hear it's kind of bland but it's mild and lends itself to being used in pretty much any dish. I love seafood myself. Sometimes my mocha clown starts to look appetizing... ;)

Hahaha I dont expect you to eat yours ;) But I will let you know. I hear it's kind of bland but it's mild and lends itself to being used in pretty much any dish. I love seafood myself. Sometimes my mocha clown starts to look appetizing... ;)

It's a good thing most of our fish aren't big enough to really look appetizing. Every time my dad visits he jokes about cooking my cleaner shrimp. Lion fish sounds about like any of the mild whitefish then. Bet it's pretty tasty :)

Your new lion is a beauty! My motto is if it's in my tank I will nurture it, but if it's on my plate I'm gonna eat it!

This is also my motto :)
  • Like 2

It's a good thing most of our fish aren't big enough to really look appetizing. Every time my dad visits he jokes about cooking my cleaner shrimp. Lion fish sounds about like any of the mild whitefish then. Bet it's pretty tasty :)

This is also my motto :)

I had to tell my mom she cannot fry my fighting conch. He is a pet, not a fritter. lol not yet at least. :P

• Like 1

The new lion gave me a scare this morning. I woke up and immediately checked the tank like I always do when I've added a new fish. I see the lion fish stuck to the mp10 and I'm like omg no! So I turn off the mp10 and then look closer and realize the lion is fine. He was just sitting on the mp10, not stuck to it. Crazy fish!

Anyways, the new addition is alive and well. Still getting settled it so he's lurking but he did eat a love ghost shrimp for me today. My plan to wean him into frozen is to grab the love shrimp by the tail with the tweezers and offer it to the lion with the tweezers. That way the lion associates the tweezers with food. Then eventually I'll offer a frozen shrimp with the tweezers. The lion had no problem taking the live shrimp from the tweezers today which was great. Glad the tweezers didn't phase him.

• Like 4

I had to tell my mom she cannot fry my fighting conch. He is a pet, not a fritter. lol not yet at least. :P

No one has suggested eating my fighting conchs yet. They don't look very appetizing luckily! Haha
Mr. Microscope

Lol! Weird fish. Yeah, I'm extra paranoid when I turn on my powerheads now with my blenny in there.

Congrats on the tweezer feeding!

• Like 1

Lol! Weird fish. Yeah, I'm extra paranoid when I turn on my powerheads now with my blenny in there.

Congrats on the tweezer feeding!

Fish stress me out with the powerheads. My starry blenny also sits on the MP10 while its running and eats the algae off. I'm always worried he'll get his tail sucked in or something.

And thanks! Feeding tonight was very successful. I fed the eel and Mushu tonight since the new lionfish just ate yesterday. Mushu hasn't been eating all that much since I got him, but apparently he's finally settled in and gotten comfortable because he ate like a pig tonight. Ate 3 big chunks of silverside as soon as I dropped them in front of him, so that makes me happy. Seems like he'll be easy to feed long term. Now I just have to work on getting the new lion onto frozen. Oh, and the eel is a pig and just wants to eat 24/7. He's constantly begging for food. He's also really funny because I offered him some jumbo mysis, he grabbed it and then promptly spit it out. I tried again and he kept spitting it out. I then offered him a chunk of silverside and he grabbed it and sucked back into his rock with it. Spoiled brat eel that won't eat shrimp now. He was eating shrimp at the LFS, but I gave him some silverside pieces when I was feeding Mushu and now apparently that's all he wants.

FlowerMama

Yeah, I get nervous too. My red sea star would sit behind the power head and already once we've been there w/ losing a leg. He's in the Evolve8 tank right now, probably is like WTH? no sand, except for a little in the back corner.

• Like 1

Yeah, I get nervous too. My red sea star would sit behind the power head and already once we've been there w/ losing a leg. He's in the Evolve8 tank right now, probably is like WTH? no sand, except for a little in the back corner.

Yeah fish and inverts don't seem to be very smart about the powerheads.

Snapped a few photos of the lionfish last night. They were hanging out near each other, so I was a bit nervous they might fight but they mostly seem to ignore each other. They both seem to be settling in really well, so I'm really thrilled :)

Mushu and the zebra chilling on the bonsai pillar. I need to come up with a name for the little zebra lionfish.

IMG_4757.jpg

Mushu

IMG_4756.jpg

The dwarf zebra

IMG_4754.jpg

And a quick video of the two of them hanging out.

Oh and in other news, the little coris wrasse has officially been rehomed to a friend of mine who lives just up the street. He's going to be the only fish in a big 60 gallong frag tank, so he should be pretty happy.

This means my fish list is now:

Fu Manchu lionfish

Dwarf Zebra lionfish

Snowflake eel

2 ocellaris clowns

Starry blenny

• Like 4

Hahhha....the music :wub:. I so want to see the new Jurassic Park movie :). I never thought I'd say this, but your zebra lionfish is so dang cute :happy:.

• Like 1

Hahhha....the music :wub:. I so want to see the new Jurassic Park movie :). I never thought I'd say this, but your zebra lionfish is so dang cute :happy:.

I am so excited about the new Jurrasic Park movie. I keep seeing the previews, so I decided I should use the music :) The zebra is such a cutie. Its something about his face and eyes! Mushu is beautiful and very cool looking, but he's not really cute in a traditional way. The zebra is just adorable for some reason.

I've been thinking about names for the eel and zebra lionfish and I think I've settled on Falkor for the eel and Draco for the zebra lionfish. Points if you can figure out my naming theme and where the names came from. :)

• Like 1

Oh and a little update of something I set up yesterday. So the new zebra lionfish is only eating live food right now and so I need a place to keep my supply of live ghost shrimp while I'm weaning him onto frozen. I originally threw them into my FW planted betta tank, and I knew the betta might decide to eat them but I wasn't sure. Well turns out, the betta ate them all, so I had to come up with a plan B. I didn't want to put a shrimp holding tank anywhere that you can see it, since it wouldn't be a pretty display tank. Luckily my linen closet has electrical outlets inside the closet, so I set up an easy/cheap 5 gallon tank in there for the shrimp. I threw on a spare AC 50 and 50W heater I had laying around and put in one cheap fake plastic plant. There are ~15 shrimp in there right now. I fed Draco again last night and he has no problem snatching the shrimp out of the feeding tongs, so hopefully it won't take too long for him to associate the tongs with food and take some frozen.

Here's the quick shrimp set-up. I was floating the bag of shrimp in this photo before they went into the tank. Ignore the extra heaters, I was heating the water up quickly. There's only one in there now.

IMG_4787.jpg

Congrats on the dwarf zebra he's a beauty! Is he eating for you?

Thank you! I really like him! The plan was to get a fuzzy but the LFS messed up and couldn't ID them properly, so I went to pick him up and realized he wasn't the right species. I thought he was a beautiful fish though, so I decided to take him home anyway. He eats live ghost shrimp right now without any issues. I had the LFS give him a shrimp right after he arrived from the wholesaler when I went to pick him up, and even as stressed as I'm sure he was, he ate it immediately. I've been giving him his live shrimp by holding them by the tail with my feeding tongs. He isn't the least bit phased by the tongs and tanks them right from the tongs without me releasing the shrimp. This way I can give him live without Mushu getting any and spoiling him since I want him to stay on frozen. Also, I want the zebra to associate the tongs with food so that after a while I can offer him a frozen shrimp with the tongs and he'll know its food.

Oh and a little update of something I set up yesterday. So the new zebra lionfish is only eating live food right now and so I need a place to keep my supply of live ghost shrimp while I'm weaning him onto frozen. I originally threw them into my FW planted betta tank, and I knew the betta might decide to eat them but I wasn't sure. Well turns out, the betta ate them all, so I had to come up with a plan B. I didn't want to put a shrimp holding tank anywhere that you can see it, since it wouldn't be a pretty display tank. Luckily my linen closet has electrical outlets inside the closet, so I set up an easy/cheap 5 gallon tank in there for the shrimp. I threw on a spare AC 50 and 50W heater I had laying around and put in one cheap fake plastic plant. There are ~15 shrimp in there right now. I fed Draco again last night and he has no problem snatching the shrimp out of the feeding tongs, so hopefully it won't take too long for him to associate the tongs with food and take some frozen.

Here's the quick shrimp set-up. I was floating the bag of shrimp in this photo before they went into the tank. Ignore the extra heaters, I was heating the water up quickly. There's only one in there now.

IMG_4787.jpg

Thank you! I really like him! The plan was to get a fuzzy but the LFS messed up and couldn't ID them properly, so I went to pick him up and realized he was the same species. I thought he was a beautiful fish though, so I decided to take him home anyway. He eats live ghost shrimp right now without any issues. I had the LFS give him a shrimp right after he arrived from the wholesaler when I went to pick him up, and even as stressed as I'm sure he was, he ate it immediately. I've been giving him his live shrimp by holding them by the tail with my feeding tongs. He isn't the least bit phased by the tongs and tanks them right from the tongs without me releasing the shrimp. This way I can give him live without Mushu getting any and spoiling him since I want him to stay on frozen. Also, I want the zebra to associate the tongs with food so that after a while I can offer him a frozen shrimp with the tongs and he'll know its food.

That's great to hear... if you continue using that feeding strategy you should have no problem converting him to frozen in the near future.

• Like 1

That's great to hear... if you continue using that feeding strategy you should have no problem converting him to frozen in the near future.

Thanks! Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Since he's already completely ok taking the shrimp out of the tongs, it shouldn't be too hard for me to convert him. I'm just so thrilled all the new inhabitants are eating like pigs. It always stresses me out when new fish won't eat anything. Mushu was bring a bit picky at first and not taking much, but now that he's settled in, he's back to eating silverside chunks like a pig. Weirdly he isn't thrilled by jumbo mysis.

Thanks! Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Since he's already completely ok taking the shrimp out of the tongs, it shouldn't be too hard for me to convert him. I'm just so thrilled all the new inhabitants are eating like pigs. It always stresses me out when new fish won't eat anything. Mushu was bring a bit picky at first and not taking much, but now that he's settled in, he's back to eating silverside chunks like a pig. Weirdly he isn't thrilled by jumbo mysis.

That's good to hear as some have had trouble getting dwarf zebras to eat after getting them from their LFS.

That's really funny because I can't get qianlong to take silversides he will swallow a chunk and after about a minute spits it out...lol

What type of canopy do you have for falkor?

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Great idea Felicia, born quickly out of necessity but you do what makes sense right away. You're good with that!!!

• Like 1