Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

Yep, expired for a year will do it! :D

When you run out of B-ionic, I would consider just buying the dry mix and adding some RO/DI to it. It'll have the same concentration (it uses the same ingredients and the same ratio) and is MUCH cheaper. :)

Clams use the same amount of magnesium as corals do, and scientists are still unsure why they don't just use calcium :)

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/10/chemistry

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/

As to carbon dosing, I prefer vinegar (as does RHF) as you can be more exact in your dosing (it takes more vinegar than vodka and it is usually easier to measure larger amounts). I wouldn't stress about carbon dosing just yet - give the tank time to mature first and keep an eye on nitrate to make sure it isn't exceedingly elevated :)

Well a new test kit is on the way, so hopefully soon I will know what my actual Mg level is. Yeah, I was thinking I'd probably switch to the BRS powdered stuff when I run out. Right now I just have a ton of B-ionic still, so it'll be a while before I run out. I prefer not having to do any mixing (aka I'm lazy), so I don't mind the B-ionic when I'm not dosing that much per day. With my dosing increasing so much though, I'll have to go the cheaper route.

Interesting! Yeah, I didn't think clams used more Mg than corals, I just think the GIANT clam from Gena probably uses a lot more than anything else in my tank just because of sheer size. Might make an impact on my ability to keep Mg in range through just water changes.

That's a good point about the vinegar. I'd prefer something that I could use larger doses so I could do it on my dosing pump. Again, I'm lazy and want these things automated. What type of vinegar is recommended? Do you know of any good articles or threads on how much vinegar to use?

The plan for now is to see if I can keep the nitrates in line with weekly water changes and the addition of chaeto to my fuge. I've added chaeto before but it keeps dying on me. Someone suggested it might not be getting enough flow, so I added a korallia nano to my fuge. I just want to start looking into carbon dosing in case I have to resort to that to keep up with the predator feedings in the long run. I'm hoping we can K.I.S.S. for this system.

Nice! There were some people trying to get DBTC going about the time I left Manhattan. People were really into high end zoas zoas there. That was back in the day when hornets were going for like $50/head. One guy was giving them out by the handful at DBTC meetings. I wonder if they're still going?

BTW, where on earth did you find that monster clam?

That's great that other places have the same program. There are some long-term members of our club that are very generous with giving away frags of high end corals.

That's Gena's squamosa. I bought it from her so she could downsize to the low maintenance 20L. :) Although, funny enough I was in one of my local stores this past weekend and they had gotten in a squamosa the same size! It wasn't nearly as pretty in terms of color and patterning though.

• Like 2

Got some photos for you guys! I have some very photogenic fishies :)

Starry Blenny

IMG_5721.jpg

IMG_5745.jpg

IMG_5781.jpg

Draco

IMG_5885.jpg

IMG_5874.jpg

IMG_5763.jpg

He was sitting on the urchin, which is on one of the fighting conchs.

IMG_5730.jpg

Mushu

IMG_5833.jpg

IMG_5934.jpg

IMG_5924.jpg

Mushu and Draco

IMG_5895.jpg

Mushu, Draco, and the blenny

IMG_5928.jpg

Falkor and the urchin

IMG_5818.jpg

New green nepthea

IMG_5665.jpg

Really nice PE on the slimer and hydnophora

IMG_5670.jpg

IMG_5697.jpg

Fox coral

IMG_5667.jpg

Bowerbanki and red sponge

IMG_5713.jpg

• Like 8

EELLY!!! That's me missing the eel I used to have. Great video of the action that happens in your tank. Your animal selection is very cool.

• Like 1

I loved catching up on your thread Felicia! Such an audio/visual treat! This is why Nano-Reef is dangerous to my time management. LOL

Your lionfish are spectacular in color and texture. The Zebra LF is my fave for color variation.

Your tank is looking so balanced and beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with us.

BTW I am missing me some Lily pics! :flower: Please.

• Like 2

Beautiful fish you have there I really wanted a darwf lion tank but my wife shot it down saying there ugly so that will probaley not happen.

• Like 1

Love this new tank and the diversity in here! But I still miss those jawfishys lol. Will probably order some from kpa after this business trip for my tank.

• Like 1

EELLY!!! That's me missing the eel I used to have. Great video of the action that happens in your tank. Your animal selection is very cool.

What kind of eel did you have? I've always wanted an eel and I'm really fascinated. Glad you enjoyed the video :)

I loved catching up on your thread Felicia! Such an audio/visual treat! This is why Nano-Reef is dangerous to my time management. LOL

Your lionfish are spectacular in color and texture. The Zebra LF is my fave for color variation.

Your tank is looking so balanced and beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with us.

BTW I am missing me some Lily pics! :flower: Please.

Thank you! Nice to see you back around more. I've been MIA myself, so its fun to get caught up with everyone again. NR is definitely a time suck at times :lol:

The zebra lionfish has the most understated colors, but I love the pastels that show up on his fins when he fans them out. Plus he has such a cute face and the best personality. He's my favorite too.

Thanks for the compliment! I'm finally feeling like this tank is back on track.

I'll get on some Lily photos for you guys. She's doing well and being her usual adorable self.

Beautiful fish you have there I really wanted a darwf lion tank but my wife shot it down saying there ugly so that will probaley not happen.

Thank you! She thinks they're ugly? But they're so colorful and graceful. You should show her more videos of them :)

Love this new tank and the diversity in here! But I still miss those jawfishys lol. Will probably order some from kpa after this business trip for my tank.

Thanks! I miss the jawfish too, but wanted to do something new. Plus, as much as I love the jawfish, I want a break from the sand storms and the coral stealing to make their burrows :lol: Are you going to get a pair?

Another great video! Poor lady and her girl crush....I feel sorry for her :(. LOL

Thanks, Gena! Yeah that's a popular country song right now. Been stuck in my head. Its definitely a silly song though.

• Like 2

Thanks, Gena! Yeah that's a popular country song right now. Been stuck in my head. Its definitely a silly song though.

LOL...song was going through my head for at least an hour after I watched the video. Love the melody...the lyrics are cwazy :lol:.
  • Like 1

My eel was also a snowflake and looked a lot like yours only bigger.

Very cool! Yeah, I'm nervous about how big mine will get. I'm hoping it makes it a while before it outgrows this tank. I have a feeling I'm going to get attached to these predators and want to upgrade their home when they get big. They have to make it a year though, so I can graduate and have more money for an upgrade. :lol:

That first picture of Draco makes him look like he has rainbow fins! Pretty!

The lights were making the blue pop more than in person, but his fins do look like a pastel rainbow in person. He's very pretty when he flares them out like that!

If we must :D

giphy.gif

LOL...song was going through my head for at least an hour after I watched the video. Love the melody...the lyrics are cwazy :lol:.

Yeah, I really like the melody, which is why I used it for the video, but it has such over the top lyrics. Kind of entertains me though. Glad I got it stuck in your head too! :flower:

• Like 5

Yeah, I really like the melody, which is why I used it for the video, but it has such over the top lyrics. Kind of entertains me though. Glad I got it stuck in your head too! :flower:

I like the song and would watch the video again but I don't want it running through my head all morning again LOL. All's good right now...can't remember how it goes :lol:.

Ok so, I have another question...

What do you all think of bio pellets? Anyone using them? I was considering vodka/vinegar dosing as a last resort if I can't get the nitrates down, but that seems pretty complex and would involve daily hand dosing. I'm going for crazy low maintenance on this tank when possible, so not really ideal. Anyway, I realized bio pellets are essentially the same thing as vinegar/vodka dosing since its carbon dosing, just through a reactor instead of dosing. Seems like it way easier. So any thoughts?

I'd just replace the gfo and carbon in my TLF phosban reactor with bio pellets. I know you're supposed to start with like 1/4 of the recommended dose and work your way up slowly to avoid dropping levels too quickly. I also know you need to put the outlet of the reactor rigjt by the inlet of the skimmer which is how I have it now anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue. I think my skimmer should be powerful enough to handle it.

• Like 1

I also know you need to put the outlet of the reactor rigjt by the inlet of the skimmer which is how I have it now anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue. I think my skimmer should be powerful enough to handle it.

I didn't know that....why is this? Mine was set up that way as a happy accident :D. Are you sure Squammy won't just suck up all those nutrients? I never test my nitrates so I have no clue if she helped or not.

I didn't know that....why is this? Mine was set up that way as a happy accident :D. Are you sure Squammy won't just suck up all those nutrients? I never test my nitrates so I have no clue if she helped or not.

My hope is that now that I have the squammy she will take care of the issue, but I'm just trying to think of solutions in case that doesn't work. Don't want to leave my nitrates high for too long. Also there's a bit of urgency to take some sps corals from Eddie in the next couple weeks, so I'm trying to get all my levels in range and stable before then.

With the bio pellet reactor, you're growing bacteria (the pellets are food for them). The bacteria release a bio film that can cause a cyano outbreak if it isn't skimmed from the water. Since it's organic waste it will just skim out, so people put the outlet from the reactor right at the inlet to the skimmer so that most of it gets skimmed out right away.

You were using bio pellets? I somehow missed that.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Actually, one of the main issues with carbon dosing without a skimmer is oxygen deprivation - all those bacteria are multiplying like mad and using oxygen up. The skimmer removes them before that becomes an issue (and skimmers oxygenate extremely well!). It doesn't NEED to be pointed at the skimmer intake to do what it needs to do (skimmers don't remove everything on the first pass through it, they only take a little bit at a time), but it's easy to do and it may work, so why not :)

IMHO, don't get biopellets just yet. If you decide you need carbon dosing, do it with vinegar or vodka first and see how the results match up, and then if you want to switch over then do it. Always want to get a feel for something going the 'simple' route before going all gung-ho and getting some pricey equipment :D

• Like 1

Actually, one of the main issues with carbon dosing without a skimmer is oxygen deprivation - all those bacteria are multiplying like mad and using oxygen up. The skimmer removes them before that becomes an issue (and skimmers oxygenate extremely well!). It doesn't NEED to be pointed at the skimmer intake to do what it needs to do (skimmers don't remove everything on the first pass through it, they only take a little bit at a time), but it's easy to do and it may work, so why not :)

IMHO, don't get biopellets just yet. If you decide you need carbon dosing, do it with vinegar or vodka first and see how the results match up, and then if you want to switch over then do it. Always want to get a feel for something going the 'simple' route before going all gung-ho and getting some pricey equipment :D

True, I did leave out the explanation of oxygenation. Yeah, I'm with you on thinking that putting the outlet at the skimmer intake probably doesn't change that much, but its easy and might help a bit.

That's a good point. However, I already have my TLF reactor, so there wouldn't be any equipment purchases. Also, I was initially tempted to do biopellets when I first got the reactor, but chickened out and stuck to what I know (GFO and carbon). However, I hate rinsing GFO and cleaning out the reactor to replace the GFO every two weeks. Biopellets get used up, so you just top it off with more every so often would save me maintenance on the reactor. Trying to get this system to the point where I can enjoy it without stressing about the maintenance level. Definitely tempting to get rid of GFO and switch over to biopellets if they work well.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

True, I did leave out the explanation of oxygenation. Yeah, I'm with you on thinking that putting the outlet at the skimmer intake probably doesn't change that much, but its easy and might help a bit.

That's a good point. However, I already have my TLF reactor, so there wouldn't be any equipment purchases. Also, I was initially tempted to do biopellets when I first got the reactor, but chickened out and stuck to what I know (GFO and carbon). However, I hate rinsing GFO and cleaning out the reactor to replace the GFO every two weeks. Biopellets get used up, so you just top it off with more every so often would save me maintenance on the reactor. Trying to get this system to the point where I can enjoy it without stressing about the maintenance level. Definitely tempting to get rid of GFO and switch over to biopellets if they work well.

Biopellets don't work nearly as well for phosphate as they do nitrate. It takes approximately 15-20ppm nitrate to drop 1ppm phosphate in most tanks (some it takes MUCH! more than that, check out the talk Rich Ross did at MACNA last year about phosphate). People have had more luck with 'all in one' pellets that contain GFO, but it has its own issues with letting GFO into the tank so you gotta run its outlet through a fine mesh sock to catch it.

FlowerMama

Love that your tank mixes predators and corals. Many people just do predator FOWLR. And they all look/act happy- both corals and fish.

• Like 1

My hope is that now that I have the squammy she will take care of the issue, but I'm just trying to think of solutions in case that doesn't work. Don't want to leave my nitrates high for too long. Also there's a bit of urgency to take some sps corals from Eddie in the next couple weeks, so I'm trying to get all my levels in range and stable before then.

With the bio pellet reactor, you're growing bacteria (the pellets are food for them). The bacteria release a bio film that can cause a cyano outbreak if it isn't skimmed from the water. Since it's organic waste it will just skim out, so people put the outlet from the reactor right at the inlet to the skimmer so that most of it gets skimmed out right away.

You were using bio pellets? I somehow missed that.

Oh....I misunderstood. I thought you meant a regular media reactor :).
  • Like 1

Love that your tank mixes predators and corals. Many people just do predator FOWLR. And they all look/act happy- both corals and fish.

Thanks, Annette! Hopefully I can keep it up long term!

Your lions are bad a$$. The very first saltwater tank I started was a lion tank. They are the reason I got into the hobby and I always wanted a Fu Manchu. What do you feed them?

• Like 1