Pod Your Reef

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

It's probably good to feel 'productive'and doing a normal activity again. Reassures you that you are recovering!

Yep :) I'm going to have a hard cast on until January 5th, so I'm slow at doing things right now, but I was just glad I could get the water change done without enlisting help.

• Like 2

FeliCia where did you find those little shelves for inside your stand doors? And yes tell Eddie I said hola and he better be in Vegas next May when I'm there again.

• Like 2

FeliCia where did you find those little shelves for inside your stand doors? And yes tell Eddie I said hola and he better be in Vegas next May when I'm there again.

I found them on Amazon. They're little shelves that are made to hold spices inside of kitchen cabinets. They had quite a few different options on Amazon, so I just found ones that were the right size for my stand. Will do! :)

Yep :) I'm going to have a hard cast on until January 5th, so I'm slow at doing things right now, but I was just glad I could get the water change done without enlisting help.

Sounds like you really did a number on that hand! When I was having shoulder issues I had to take it easy which is not easy to do. But I too had that feeling of being worn out after too much activity. Just the body's way of saying slow down and let me heal :).

That maintenance photo is great! Is the hair algae staying away after the initial deep clean?

• Like 1

Sounds like you really did a number on that hand! When I was having shoulder issues I had to take it easy which is not easy to do. But I too had that feeling of being worn out after too much activity. Just the body's way of saying slow down and let me heal :).

That maintenance photo is great! Is the hair algae staying away after the initial deep clean?

The hand really isn't too bad in terms of the injury, its just something you don't realize is so important until you don't have full use of one of your hands. Just makes everything a bit harder and slower. I get my hard cast this week, which should help because it will be more supportive than the splint. I was supposed to get the cast last week, but I have an important job interview tomorrow and the cast would be too bulky to fit through the sleeve of my suit jacket. The doctor was nice enough to let me keep the splint (which I can remove to get into the suit) until after my interview.

I thought that photo was fun! Wasn't expecting it to turn out so well, but Eddie thought it was fun and artsy, so I figured I'd share it. The hair algae is MUCH better. I have some of it that had come back a bit, but not too much. I think I have everything back in balance now.

So who wants new photos? I'm doing my water change today, so tomorrow I may have some time to take new photos for you guys :)

ME ME ME!! I love your pics.

But only if you're up to it gimpy. :D

• Like 2

ME ME ME!! I love your pics.

But only if you're up to it gimpy. :D

Yay! :) Your wish is my command! Luckily, being gimpy doesn't affect my ability to take photos. The tank was just so wonderfully clean after the water change and maintenance yesterday, that it was begging to be photographed.

FTS 12/21/15

IMG_0198_zpswkbbcbi9.jpg

IMG_0312_zps0q3zezqz.jpg

Not the best photo, but I wanted to show the new leather coral I picked up last week. Its hard to photograph because its in the back corner, but I think it adds some depth and I'm loving softies atm.

IMG_0199_zpsak53zbjg.jpg

IMG_0222_zpsjrwg8w5i.jpg

IMG_0223_zpsgjxa8xw9.jpg

IMG_0236_zpsxbtm98yk.jpg

IMG_0239_zpsra49jprh.jpg

IMG_0243_zpsuavc2zpy.jpg

IMG_0246_zpsv5qlygjy.jpg

IMG_0253_zpstdu7skfn.jpg

IMG_0270_zpsemak9e6y.jpg

IMG_0279_zpslqmutnud.jpg

IMG_0284_zpscmjogfhr.jpg

The German Blue Digi is still very browned out, but its growing like crazy. Hopefully it will eventually color up for me.

IMG_0289_zpsnliudlpb.jpg

IMG_0296_zpsb5qmu4ro.jpg

IMG_0300_zpsjbp1lhuv.jpg

• Like 4

I wanted to do something different since you all have seen a ton of photos lately. I haven't done top down shots in a while, so I took a bunch of new ones.

IMG_0322_zpsykytagmp.jpg

The BTA's have been splitting like crazy lately. I believe I have 8 right now, but they're hard to count.

IMG_0334_zpszovu7uqt.jpg

Draco begging for food :)

IMG_0346_zpsflmyyd1y.jpg

IMG_0351_zps6zwuslsp.jpg

4PT01_zps64oivsqs.jpeg

Mushu was also being a beggar.

IMG_0386_zpsww3zkth8.jpg

IMG_0396_zpsqs1t6pzc.jpg

C3rxt_zpsztffvbyo.jpeg

IMG_0406_zpstrfsyjg3.jpg

IMG_0461_zpsicbbk3kp.jpg

IMG_0479_zpsfk82pruz.jpg

IMG_0483_zpsfp7vmvee.jpg

IMG_0502_zpscwcjzvl2.jpg

I also did a major overhaul of the freshwater planted tank. It just hasn't been doing very well lately, so I finally decided to just take it all apart to do some serious deep cleaning and then put it all back together. I really think the issue was the substrate because it was impossible to vacuum thoroughly with all the plants and their roots. I took everything out of the tank and was able to really vacuum all the substrate and you should have seen the brown sludge that came out. Here's the tank down to nothing but the substrate, an inch or so of water, and the fish.

IMG_0177_zps3wnxo1wd.jpg

Here is is all back together. The water is still a bit cloudy, but not too bad. Also, poor Berkeley the betta has no fins because one of his tank mates went rogue and ate them. The rogue has been rehomed, so now Berkeley's fins just have to grow back. Not sure how long that will take.

IMG_0505_zpsdqketbco.jpg

• Like 4

Wow, both of your tanks look amazing! I never get tired of viewing your pics.

Thank you! It's been forever since I showed off the freshwater tank, so it was nice to get it back into viewing condition. My family is getting here today for the holidays, so I had the motivation to get both tanks looking good :) Now I need to do the round of everyone else's threads! I see you got your sump up and running!

wowowowowowow!!!

What do you do when there gets to be too many bubble tips?!?!

:) :) :)

Well, the plan is to sell some when I get too many, but it's hard to get them off the rock. I'm hoping when there get to be too many together, one or two will release their feet in an attempt to move somewhere else in the tank. I figured 8 would be way too many, but so far they seem all settled with so many. Well see what number becomes too many! Haha!

• Like 2

The sponges... the clams... the BTAs...

:wub::wub::wub:

I love all the things about this tank!

I'm glad you love my eclectic mix! With this tank, I decided who cares if it goes together, I just want a crazy unique mix of things I love. Definitely my favorite if my tanks so far :)

Looks gorgeous :wub:. Is the new leather a finger leather?

Thank you, Gena! I believe so. It was an unlabeled leather. It looks a ton like my nepthea, just pink. It would match your tank. I'll have a frag with your name on it down the line if you want :) It's harder than you'd think to find nice softies! They were so common and then no one wanted them so now they're hard to find. I love that green nepthea though and wanted another finger leather.
  • Like 3

Your tank really is a reminder to me how lax I've been on water changes lately, especially since i'm moving soon, week to week I don't know when the closing is so I've been putting them off since the majority of the tank water will be replaced. HOWEVER, looking at your tanks reminds me too that once I'm set up again I need to keep up. It's so pretty and the back wall looks clean, along the edges, etc.

• Like 1

I absolutely love you isle o nems gonna have to keep a spot open for the concept in my new system when I get around to setting it up. And your puppy dog beggar fishes they're awesome!

• Like 1

Your tank really is a reminder to me how lax I've been on water changes lately, especially since i'm moving soon, week to week I don't know when the closing is so I've been putting them off since the majority of the tank water will be replaced. HOWEVER, looking at your tanks reminds me too that once I'm set up again I need to keep up. It's so pretty and the back wall looks clean, along the edges, etc.

Its ok! I totally slack when I get busy. Then I just have to do really crazy scrubbing to get it looking clean. I keep trying to remember that if I keep up with the once a week water changes, they take way less time than the infrequent scrub downs. :)

I absolutely love you isle o nems gonna have to keep a spot open for the concept in my new system when I get around to setting it up. And your puppy dog beggar fishes they're awesome!

Thank you! I love the anemones and I am so glad I planned it that island. They would be a nightmare, taking out my other corals if they weren't confined like that. I think the island set-up is great for being able to keep them in smaller tanks. Plus, I think nem island looks pretty cool! :)

Yeah the lionfish definitely know that me being near the tank like that probably means its time for food. I love that they have so much personality :)

• Like 1

I'm glad you love my eclectic mix! With this tank, I decided who cares if it goes together, I just want a crazy unique mix of things I love. Definitely my favorite if my tanks so far :)

Thank you, Gena! I believe so. It was an unlabeled leather. It looks a ton like my nepthea, just pink. It would match your tank. I'll have a frag with your name on it down the line if you want :) It's harder than you'd think to find nice softies! They were so common and then no one wanted them so now they're hard to find. I love that green nepthea though and wanted another finger leather.

It looks pretty similar to the finger leather I have now. If you come across a tan/beige finger leather or green..let me know :).
  • Like 1

It looks pretty similar to the finger leather I have now. If you come across a tan/beige finger leather or green..let me know :).

You know I have a huge green finger leather? I need to sell it, or frag it and sell it, or give some away....

• Like 2

You know I have a huge green finger leather? I need to sell it, or frag it and sell it, or give some away....

That's right! I Forgot about that. I wouldn't want the whole thing but possibly a frag if you make them.
  • Like 2

That's right! I Forgot about that. I wouldn't want the whole thing but possibly a frag if you make them.

Ugh damn... are you sure you don't want the whole thing??? Only 10-12 inches tall... ;)

21300097072_4e281f7c05_z.jpg

We'll talk in the spring when the weather is warmer :)

• Like 2

Ugh damn... are you sure you don't want the whole thing??? Only 10-12 inches tall... ;)

21300097072_4e281f7c05_z.jpg

We'll talk in the spring when the weather is warmer :)

Yeah in fact I have no business adding even a frag lol. I'm really out of room :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas!!!

Its crazy that its so hard to find nice leathers now. I want more too, but I am soooo out of space myself. I just need to let things finish filling in.

The antennata tends to be pretty shy, but she likes to come out in the mornings when the sunlight lights up the tank, but the tank lights aren't on yet. I snapped a photo of her to share. Not the best because there is a bit of algae on the glass that I haven't had a chance to scrape since I was out of town, but I thought it was still a fun photo.

IMG_0527_zps0jzaooul.jpg

• Like 6