Top Shelf Aquatics

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

We have not seen a FTS in awhile. Now while everything is spanking clean you should snap a pic for your fans!

Agreed. :)

I'll take that under consideration. If I have some time tonight, I'll take some photos of the tank. All depends on if I get a bunch of things done first. Anyways, off to be productive!

In sad news, I lost the new tang last night. Seriously no idea what happened. She was active, no signs of disease, and eating well just the day before. Then yesterday I did some major tank maintenance and she wedged herself into the rocks during all that, just like tangs like to do. Well a couple hours after finishing my maintenance, I noticed I still hadn't seen her come back out. I looked for her and noticed her laying on her side in the sand under some rocks. I wasn't sure if that was just the weird tang behavior or if there was something wrong, so I touched her gently to see if she'd respond. Nothing. She was just laying on her side breathing oddly. I wasn't sure what I could do, so I just left her be and kept an eye on her throughout the evening. Around 11 pm last night she passed away. Really wish I knew what happened because she had settled in and was doing so well. She was fattening up nicely and didn't have any signs of ich or anything. Bummer :( Luckily all the other fish are totally fine, so it doesn't seem to be anything that affected the other fish.

Think she was just really stressed with the water change activity, got her heart rate up or something? Poor thing.

Yeah I don't know. That's pretty sad if me doing my normal cleaning managed to stress her to death. Tangs seem like very touchy fish.

Oh that stinks :(. Sorry to hear that! She must have been unhealthy to begin with for the stress of cleaning to end up killing her :grouphug:.

Yeah I feel like she must have had something going on that wasn't visible or obvious. Always frustrating when you have no idea what happened.

Sorry about the tang. :( Tank looks amazing though.

Thank you! Bummed about the tang, but I'm thrilled the tank is doing so well right now other than the minor algae issues. Pretty happy with how its matured :)

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the tang. Those first 2 weeks of when you get a fish are always the tricky ones. Whenever I would stock a customer's tank with a new fish, even if it had been healthy in the lfs, I knew I had to get it through the first 2 weeks. I guess they are just vulnerable to change, and things can be happening internally that we can always see. It's always sad though.

Just a quick photo for the Lily fans. :)

IMG_1170_zpsvphlg3nv.jpg

Very cute pic of your kitty!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the tang. Those first 2 weeks of when you get a fish are always the tricky ones. Whenever I would stock a customer's tank with a new fish, even if it had been healthy in the lfs, I knew I had to get it through the first 2 weeks. I guess they are just vulnerable to change, and things can be happening internally that we can always see. It's always sad though.

Very cute pic of your kitty!

Yeah, I usually assume a fish is potentially going to die for the first week or so. This tang had made it to almost 2 weeks, so I thought she was going to do well. I guess you must be right about the 2 week cut-off! Definitely the hard part of this hobby.

• Like 1

Alright, I took some photos for you guys. First off, the new FTS that was requested.

FTS 11/22/15

IMG_1527_zpsoeuuypoa.jpg

This photoshoot quickly turned into a Draco photoshoot. He is such a ham and loves to pose all over different corals. Hard to resist photographing him!

IMG_1410_zpstwzejnre.jpg

IMG_1419_zpsdi7bwjdz.jpg

IMG_1316_zps6pldch24.jpg

IMG_1297_zpsfpwvbebz.jpg

IMG_1294_zpsfwgrwjhp.jpg

IMG_1288_zps54ggpnao.jpg

Falkor was also being really photogenic.

IMG_1733_zpsn8tfiac3.jpg

IMG_1214_zpsurgujy7r.jpg

IMG_1633_zpsar6kchk3.jpg

Mushu came out for a photo as well, but the antennata was being shy.

IMG_1943_zpszz2afgwm.jpg

I also got out the waterproof case for my Canon Powershot and took some top down shots from under the surface of the water.

Blue Sponge

IMG_9526_zpsf82tzfmb.jpg

Nepthea and Clams

IMG_9559_zpsy3gxxidm.jpg

Frogspawn

IMG_9540_zpszrykxbdr.jpg

Draco on one of the gorgonians

IMG_9537_zpsfjyackxh.jpg

• Like 11

WOW! That slimer has taken off!!!! The sponge looks cool in the FTS too!!!! It looks so clean :).

The slimer is doing great! Definitely getting some awesome growth on it. Seriously my favorite SPS! So glad you had grown out that frag of my original colony. I'll have a frag ready for you if you ever want to get back into SPS :) The sponge is huge and needs to be fragged again soon. I have a bunch of frags in my sump right now. I need to sell them, but I just haven't had time to deal with it. Glad it looks clean. It got a serious scrub down :)

• Like 2

The slimer is doing great! Definitely getting some awesome growth on it. Seriously my favorite SPS! So glad you had grown out that frag of my original colony. I'll have a frag ready for you if you ever want to get back into SPS :) The sponge is huge and needs to be fragged again soon. I have a bunch of frags in my sump right now. I need to sell them, but I just haven't had time to deal with it. Glad it looks clean. It got a serious scrub down :)

I have absolutely no desire for SPS lol. But it's pretty to look at in other people's tanks :).
  • Like 1

Alright, I took some photos for you guys. First off, the new FTS that was requested.

FTS 11/22/15

IMG_1527_zpsoeuuypoa.jpg

This photoshoot quickly turned into a Draco photoshoot. He is such a ham and loves to pose all over different corals. Hard to resist photographing him!

IMG_1410_zpstwzejnre.jpg

IMG_1419_zpsdi7bwjdz.jpg

IMG_1316_zps6pldch24.jpg

IMG_1297_zpsfpwvbebz.jpg

IMG_1294_zpsfwgrwjhp.jpg

IMG_1288_zps54ggpnao.jpg

Falkor was also being really photogenic.

IMG_1733_zpsn8tfiac3.jpg

IMG_1214_zpsurgujy7r.jpg

IMG_1633_zpsar6kchk3.jpg

Mushu came out for a photo as well, but the antennata was being shy.

IMG_1943_zpszz2afgwm.jpg

I also got out the waterproof case for my Canon Powershot and took some top down shots from under the surface of the water.

Blue Sponge

IMG_9526_zpsf82tzfmb.jpg

Nepthea and Clams

IMG_9559_zpsy3gxxidm.jpg

Frogspawn

IMG_9540_zpszrykxbdr.jpg

Draco on one of the gorgonians

IMG_9537_zpsfjyackxh.jpg

Outstanding omgomgomg

• Like 1

I have absolutely no desire for SPS lol. But it's pretty to look at in other people's tanks :).

I hear you! I have no desire to deal with touchy SPS. I'm trying to stick to the less fancy/easy ones and not have that many. I have some that are doing amazingly well for me and some that are very browned out or bleached that I have hidden behind the slimer. Most SPS are just too much work for me, but the slimer is so easy and vibrant no matter how much I neglect the tank.

Outstanding omgomgomg

Thank you so much! Draco was feeling a bit jealous of your insanely stunning yellow fuzzy, so he needed to show off for a ton of photos. He may be dull in color, but he makes up for it in personality :lol::lol::lol: Seriously, that fish is the biggest ham ever.

Thank you, your fans are not disappointed...those pics are terrific! I just love your fish in those corals. It is so cool to see a lionfish in gorgs, I guess cause we never do.

• Like 2

Sorry about the tang. 2 weeks sounds about right for a larger fish and since the color was bad I assume something was wrong with it. I might try a baby yellow tang, ferocious little punks.

• Like 1

God damn, this tank looks awesome!

And so does Lily! Thank you from one of her fan club members. ;)

Have you considered going with a Foxface for an algae eater? I think they are a little tougher than tangs, but pretty well behaved.

Thank you, your fans are not disappointed...those pics are terrific! I just love your fish in those corals. It is so cool to see a lionfish in gorgs, I guess cause we never do.

Yay! Glad you all enjoyed the photo update. It was just a quick one :) I love how the gorgs move about in the gorgs. Its also so fun to watch them perch on the different corals. Lionfish are native to the Indo Pacific and I believe they have gorgonians on the reefs there, so it might be natural to see lionfish around gorgonians. Also, now with the invasive species in the Caribbean, there are a bunch of them living with these Caribbean gorgonian species. Those are the large bodied lionfish that are invasive though, and not the dwarf species that I have.

Oh Felicia, you'll never know how much I enjoy catching up on this thread. Brightens my day every time :wub:

:blush: Thank you so much! Your kind words brightened my day! I'm glad you enjoy this tank the same way I do :)

Sorry about the tang. 2 weeks sounds about right for a larger fish and since the color was bad I assume something was wrong with it. I might try a baby yellow tang, ferocious little punks.

Weirdly, the color didn't seem bad at all until she suddenly was in distress right before she died. Before that she was a nice deep brown with blue edging and stripes. No idea what was wrong with her, but something must have been going on internally. Yellow tangs need more swimming room right? I was trying to get the tang species that would be most ok in my size tank. What do you think about a yellow tang in a 40B?

God damn, this tank looks awesome!

And so does Lily! Thank you from one of her fan club members. ;)

Have you considered going with a Foxface for an algae eater? I think they are a little tougher than tangs, but pretty well behaved.

Thank you so much, Mirya! You all are seriously too kind!

Lily has to keep her fans happy too! :)

Gena actually suggested a Foxface to me. Again, I wasn't sure if it would be too crammed in a 40B. Seems like a good option if it would be ok in my size tank. I also wasn't sure if they get aggressive at all. The lionfish are predators, but honestly they are so laid back. If they can't eat something it one gulp then they leave it alone. They aren't aggressive or harass other fish or anything. I just don't want to get something that would pick at them or stress them out.

I guess it would be a "One-Spot Foxface" that would potentially work for me right? Liveaquaria recommends a 70 gallon tank for that one, which is the same as their recommendation for the Kole Tang.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1465+2704&pcatid=2704

Liveaquaria also mentions Foxfaces can eat LPS and other polyps. Anyone know if that's common? I wonder if one would nip at the big clam. My starry blenny just could not resist nipping at the mantle on that huge squamosa.

I was thinking maybe get a Foxface as well to help with your algae control. Also you'll have more spikes to dodge whilst cleaning the tank... Hmm, could that be what happened to the Kole? He got jabbed?

Foxface gets huge and gets big quick. Yellow tang does fine for a while in a 40, much better then a Kole IMO, regardless of recommendation. My Yellow tang is not that active of a swimmer while the Kole is.

• Like 1