ReefCleaners.org

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

Blue sponges look awesome! I'd love a piece! If I'm not too late sign me up!

I'll put you on the list. I'm hoping to have about 11 frags and you are now #10 on the list :)

• Like 1

Haha! Yeah probably not going to mention that one. Weirdly, I still really like Falkor. Just have to pay more attention to where my hands are now.

Is he still considered a baby eel? What about when he gets bigger? :scarry: LOL

So can this sponge be in shade? I wouldn't mind a frag if shade isn't a problem for them. Oh....did you get notification of shipment from KPA? :)

• Like 1

Is he still considered a baby eel? What about when he gets bigger? :scarry: LOL

So can this sponge be in shade? I wouldn't mind a frag if shade isn't a problem for them. Oh....did you get notification of shipment from KPA? :)

I don't know if he's a baby since I don't know how small the babies are. I'd guess he's a juvenile or young adult. He's the pretty standard small size that they usually get at the LFS, so I'm thinking young adult. They can get huge, but it takes time. This is why I try not to overfeed him, because they will literally eat until they pop and if you let them eat all they want, they grow way too fast and it isn't very healthy for them. So far I've had him 3 months and haven't seen any noticeable growth, so I think it will be quite a while until he gets to a size that becomes an issue for space or my fingers :lol: I really don't worry too much about biting though because normally I have on big thick up to the shoulder gloves when I have my hand in this tank. Those are too thick for him to bite through, so that's fine. However, when I was feeding, I just had one on the hand that was in the tank and my other hand was resting on the rim with no glove on. I guess he saw my fingers above the water and though they must be food so he lunged out of the water at my finger. Now I know not to have my hand so close to the water even if it isn't in the water!

Well the sponge is photosynthetic, so its really not going to do the best in shade. However, part of it can be in shade as long as a good portion of it gets light based on my experience. Also, any parts in shade will be purple and won't get the iridescent blue color.

Oh and yes I did! My sponges arrived today at 9 am. Did you not get yours? Mine shipped out Monday afternoon, but I did put a note on the order specifically requesting Monday shipping. I think if you don't ask, they tend to ship on Tuesdays.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Odd! I've had mine slow down and stop growing when it wasn't in ideal conditions, but I've never had it die off. Just stick it in some higher light and flow and I bet it will be happy. I'm doing a water change and will be fragging a bit more off the sponge tonight. I should hopefully have like 9 $15 frags and 2 smaller $10 frags. Right now I've got 8 people interested, so there should definitely be one for you if you want one. :)

Mine was getting around 280 PAR or so, and when it was in the growing phase, it was explosive, especially when dosing sodium silicate, which I just started up again this week.

I'm in for one of the larger ones. Or smaller if someone beat me to it, the smaller doesn't bug me too much, it all grows the same :)

• Like 1

Small Update

I placed a KPA order over the weekend for a few more sponges since I really like the pop of primary colors mixed in between the corals. The couple non-photosynthetic sponges I have right now have been doing really well in this tank, so I figured I'd try a few more. Anyways, my order showed up at 9 am this morning and it looks great! I ordered a nano red tree sponge, nano red ball sponge, nano yellow ball sponge, nano yellow frilly sponge, and some toadstool algae for my refugium. My freebies were a second nano yellow frilly sponge and a second clump of the algae! I love the KPA freebies!

Anyways, I got everything in the tank and then had to head back to work, so no photos for now. I'm doing a big maintenance session and water change on the tank tonight though, so I'll try to snap some photos then!

Mine was getting around 280 PAR or so, and when it was in the growing phase, it was explosive, especially when dosing sodium silicate, which I just started up again this week.

I'm in for one of the larger ones. Or smaller if someone beat me to it, the smaller doesn't bug me too much, it all grows the same :)

Huh! That would be plenty of PAR so I wonder what that was about. Maybe your tank was too clean at times? They're photosynthetic, but I have a feeling they like some nutrients in the water like softies. I think one person already requested one of the smallest frags, so there's probably one of the bit bigger ones for you. The bigger ones will probably be like 1" square or a bit larger. The little ones are like 0.5"x1".

I don't know if he's a baby since I don't know how small the babies are. I'd guess he's a juvenile or young adult. He's the pretty standard small size that they usually get at the LFS, so I'm thinking young adult. They can get huge, but it takes time. This is why I try not to overfeed him, because they will literally eat until they pop and if you let them eat all they want, they grow way too fast and it isn't very healthy for them. So far I've had him 3 months and haven't seen any noticeable growth, so I think it will be quite a while until he gets to a size that becomes an issue for space or my fingers :lol: I really don't worry too much about biting though because normally I have on big thick up to the shoulder gloves when I have my hand in this tank. Those are too thick for him to bite through, so that's fine. However, when I was feeding, I just had one on the hand that was in the tank and my other hand was resting on the rim with no glove on. I guess he saw my fingers above the water and though they must be food so he lunged out of the water at my finger. Now I know not to have my hand so close to the water even if it isn't in the water!

Well the sponge is photosynthetic, so its really not going to do the best in shade. However, part of it can be in shade as long as a good portion of it gets light based on my experience. Also, any parts in shade will be purple and won't get the iridescent blue color.

Oh and yes I did! My sponges arrived today at 9 am. Did you not get yours? Mine shipped out Monday afternoon, but I did put a note on the order specifically requesting Monday shipping. I think if you don't ask, they tend to ship on Tuesdays.

Ok...I better pass then...thanks for the explanation :).

Mine shipped on Tuesday so I should have it tomorrow. Not sure I'll get any freebies since the whole package was basically a freebie with my credit :). But....maybe they'll include something extra fingerscrossed.

:o Just read the sponge stuff, is it too late to get in line?

I already have one saved for you :) you were first on the list!

Ok...I better pass then...thanks for the explanation :).

Mine shipped on Tuesday so I should have it tomorrow. Not sure I'll get any freebies since the whole package was basically a freebie with my credit :). But....maybe they'll include something extra fingerscrossed.

Yeah it's a photosynthetic sponge which makes it easier to keep but then that means you have to keep in in good lighting.

Oh ok. Can't wait to see yours tomorrow. Well hey, credit is nice! My stuff all looks good. All nice and small except the nano red tree sponge which I'd call more medium sized. Gotta figure out where to place them all in the scape this evening.

• Like 1

Sorry everyone! Things got busy again and I know I've been MIA. Since its a short week this way with the holiday and I haven't had time to deal with the sponge frags, I'll plan on doing the selling the middle to end of this week and then beginning of next week I can ship everything. I got all my shipping supplies on hand, so I just need to make a few more frags and then post photos for you guys with prices.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry everyone!!! Man, life has really gotten away from me. Trying to finish my PhD plus being the graduate student instructor for two courses is just really eating all my time! I keep trying to play catchup but I'm perpetually behind and haven't really had the time/energy for nano reef.

Anyways, the tank is doing well although a bit neglected because I've been so busy. However, last night I did a really thorough cleaning and tons of maintenance and water tests and all. It cleaned up nicely and everything is doing really well! I hurt my ankle yesterday so I'm spending the day on my couch with it propped up, so I actually had time to snap some photos of the tank and share them with you guys. So here they are!

89697300-38FD-4AA8-B861-E14104C01E19.jpg

46EA32CB-0BEC-4849-80B0-F3694B49B47B.jpg

2F3F4557-2292-4B23-AEA8-A4C1F85D6049.jpg

7C41658F-5E5E-4035-8947-84D6F18C2D06.jpg

3BE5B0E2-288C-4A69-9DFF-F4555C964439.jpg

37B870E8-562C-4FCD-91AD-B66867C426EA.jpg

• Like 16

Looks wonderful! I'm an idiot....thinking about a baby clam for my tank :lol:. But seriously, it's crossed my mind. They like a dirty tank and I'm dosing anyways LOL. It's probably just a phase and I'll get through it as long as I don't come across a cute one at my LFS :).

Hope your ankle is feeling better!

• Like 1

Really cool pics. Animals and corals look great!

Very inspiring pics!

I love how they're nesting. Adorable bean bag!

Thanks everyone! All the inhabitants are really doing great right now! Luckily the tank isn't too upset by my neglect except having a bit of algae growth.

Beautiful as always! :wub:

Do the lions usually like to sit on the gorgs or softies?

Thank you, Christina! Yeah the lions spend most of their time perched, so they will basically sit on anything, but they seem partial to the gorgs and softies. However, they also sit on the clams, my acros, the frag rack, etc. Basically anything that isn't an LPS or anemone. They avoid the BTA's, the duncan, and the frogspawn. Adding the gorgs really made them happy though. The gorgs seem to be their absolute favorite. Especially those two over to the left side of the tank.

Looks wonderful! I'm an idiot....thinking about a baby clam for my tank :lol:. But seriously, it's crossed my mind. They like a dirty tank and I'm dosing anyways LOL. It's probably just a phase and I'll get through it as long as I don't come across a cute one at my LFS :).

Hope your ankle is feeling better!

DO IT! :) Just get a teeny one and then when it you grow it into another gigantic one, you can mail it to me ;) Actually, I take that back...I do NOT have space for another gigantic one. My derasa has had a major growth spurt lately and is catching up to the big squamosa. I think its about 6" long now. A little clam would do well in your tank though. You have less filtration and overpowered lighting for that tank. You'd just have to keep hand dosing the Ca and Alk.

Luckily my ankle is doing much better. I was a bit worried because it swelled up huge but then staying off of it for a day really helped and now its mostly just a bit achy. I just tweaked something I guess, but luckily its not a bad sprain or anything.

• Like 1