Cultivated Reef

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

Wow that fiji :wub: I need to go head over to Vivid :) I can't wait to see more photos.

Everything is looking gorgeous as usual :)

Thank you, Stella! Gena mentioned you were considering ordering one from Vivid. They had a WYSIWYG fiji leather, but it was expensive, so I decided to just get one of the non-WYSIWYG pieces. I ordered the medium size, which was supposed to be 3-5" for $48.99. Really happy with the size of it! It expanded quite a bit more in the tank, so its a pretty big leather.

• Like 2

Thank you, Stella! Gena mentioned you were considering ordering one from Vivid. They had a WYSIWYG fiji leather, but it was expensive, so I decided to just get one of the non-WYSIWYG pieces. I ordered the medium size, which was supposed to be 3-5" for $48.99. Really happy with the size of it! It expanded quite a bit more in the tank, so its a pretty big leather.

I was just looking at the WSIWYG piece and thought the same thing! I'm going to get one of the medium ones :) It looks beautiful just out of the bag! How many times can you say that about a coral!!!

• Like 2

I was just looking at the WSIWYG piece and thought the same thing! I'm going to get one of the medium ones :) It looks beautiful just out of the bag! How many times can you say that about a coral!!!

Yeah, it seems like the non-WYSIWYG is a better deal. Its not like there can be that much variation in what a yellow fiji leather looks like besides size. How flat or pleated they are is all dependent on your tank (flow, light, etc), so that can and probably will change anyway. I know right? I think Vivid did a great job with packing and shipping and leathers are just so easy! I love my easy softies :)

• Like 2

Both are beautiful pieces! Can't wait to see how they add to your diversity.

Thank you! I have to find the perfect spots for them. Can't wait to get them situated and take a new FTS. These are pretty big pieces so they should be pretty noticeable in the overall look of the tank. I need superglue though! I'll have to go get some this weekend, so they may not be placed for a couple days.

This predator tank in insane. I can't believe those type of fish can live on a 40 gallon tank.

Thank you! Yeah the dwarf lionfish do great in this size tank! The fu manchu and dwarf zebra won't ever outgrow this tank, but the antennata might be a little cramped once she gets full sized. That will be a really long time though since I've had her for almost 9 months and she really hasn't noticeably grown much. The eel is really the one that will outgrow this tank.

Cant wait to see the new stuff! B)

Well I won't keep you waiting!

I'm home now so picture time! Just snapped a few quick shots of the new corals. Like I said, they aren't placed yet. I just set them in there for now. I think they look beautiful!

First off, here's the yellow fiji leather! This was why I placed the order and I couldn't be happier. Its a beautiful color and size and already has good PE. Its a very healthy, happy leather!

24679398225_c7a93f8c10_z.jpg

Here's the neon green cabbage leather. I'm really happy with the color on this one and its really puffed up nicely.

24653185516_978b0a4cd5_z.jpg

Check out the green on it! Here it is under blue lighting.

24653186346_c1ce608a7f_z.jpg

• Like 12

They look great!!! And so soon after being shipped! That's awesome..and that green on that cabbage is crazy

Thank you! Yep, I'm really happy with how they handled shipping. I'm always nervous ordering online since it can be really hit or miss, but this shipment went flawlessly. And yeah, I was not expecting that color on the cabbage. Its even a brighter green than my slimer, nepthea, or toadstools.

• Like 1

cat-with-corn-o.gif

Lily is probably jealous of all the photo shoots the tang has been getting, so figures if she eats nori like the tang, she will get photo shoots too!

Love that Fiji yellow, it looks fantastic!

• Like 2

I love yellows in tanks. When I was in Key Largo I remember seeing yellows and wondered why there aren't more in our tanks. Already awesome polyps, such a pretty cream yellow color.

• Like 1

cat-with-corn-o.gif

Lily is probably jealous of all the photo shoots the tang has been getting, so figures if she eats nori like the tang, she will get photo shoots too!

Love that Fiji yellow, it looks fantastic!

Hehe! Cat's are so ridiculous at times. This is why I love them :) You're probably right. Lily is like, see, I can be like a tang! Pay attention to me!

Thank you! I'm really happy with it!

I love yellows in tanks. When I was in Key Largo I remember seeing yellows and wondered why there aren't more in our tanks. Already awesome polyps, such a pretty cream yellow color.

Yeah yellow is a really hard color to find in corals. There are a lot of yellow-y greens but not a lot of true yellow. That's one of the reasons that fiji leathers are so awesome. They're a true yellow color. It does already have pretty great polyp extension!

• Like 1

Thank you! I have to find the perfect spots for them. Can't wait to get them situated and take a new FTS. These are pretty big pieces so they should be pretty noticeable in the overall look of the tank. I need superglue though! I'll have to go get some this weekend, so they may not be placed for a couple days.

Thank you! Yeah the dwarf lionfish do great in this size tank! The fu manchu and dwarf zebra won't ever outgrow this tank, but the antennata might be a little cramped once she gets full sized. That will be a really long time though since I've had her for almost 9 months and she really hasn't noticeably grown much. The eel is really the one that will outgrow this tank.

Well I won't keep you waiting!

I'm home now so picture time! Just snapped a few quick shots of the new corals. Like I said, they aren't placed yet. I just set them in there for now. I think they look beautiful!

First off, here's the yellow fiji leather! This was why I placed the order and I couldn't be happier. Its a beautiful color and size and already has good PE. Its a very healthy, happy leather!

24679398225_c7a93f8c10_z.jpg

Here's the neon green cabbage leather. I'm really happy with the color on this one and its really puffed up nicely.

24653185516_978b0a4cd5_z.jpg

Check out the green on it! Here it is under blue lighting.

24653186346_c1ce608a7f_z.jpg

Wow, gorgeous!!! That fiji! Ok, I have one in my cart. I'm doing it!

• Like 2

They look FANTASTIC! Where in the tank did you end up putting them? I love both :wub:.

I just have them set in there for now, but I think I like where the fiji leather is. I have it in the center of the front right rock between the gorgonians and the blue digi. That's where my original fox coral that wasted away was sitting. There's a frag of my original fox coral left, but its too small to fill in that space now. I was going to put the new fox coral there, but I had it there and it wasn't doing well at all, so now that space is empty. The cabbage leather is just sitting on the sandbed atm. I'm thinking I may put it up on top of the bonsai pillar jutting off sort of like a monti cap. I like how the blue sponge plates off the top of the pillar like a monti, so the leather would look cool like that too I think.

Do it! You won't regret it :)

• Like 2

Yay :happydance:.

I just have them set in there for now, but I think I like where the fiji leather is. I have it in the center of the front right rock between the gorgonians and the blue digi. That's where my original fox coral that wasted away was sitting. There's a frag of my original fox coral left, but its too small to fill in that space now. I was going to put the new fox coral there, but I had it there and it wasn't doing well at all, so now that space is empty. The cabbage leather is just sitting on the sandbed atm. I'm thinking I may put it up on top of the bonsai pillar jutting off sort of like a monti cap. I like how the blue sponge plates off the top of the pillar like a monti, so the leather would look cool like that too I think.

Do it! You won't regret it :)

After I asked I noticed the cabbage was next to squammy :). Sounds like a great place for it on the bonsai. I like the idea of it plating..it's going to look great!

The fiji will be in a nice viewing area too! It's really going to stand out with that pretty yellow :). You may need to get more yellow gorgonians too from KPA ;).

• Like 1

Yay :happydance:.

After I asked I noticed the cabbage was next to squammy :). Sounds like a great place for it on the bonsai. I like the idea of it plating..it's going to look great!

The fiji will be in a nice viewing area too! It's really going to stand out with that pretty yellow :). You may need to get more yellow gorgonians too from KPA ;).

I need super glue before I can place the new corals. I will have to make an LFS run this weekend because I refuse to use anything but IC Gel. It works soooo much better than the regular brands of super glue.

Glad you like my placement ideas. My original plan was to possibly remove one of the two neon green toadstools on the front left rock and put it there, but then when the fox coral wasn't doing well in that spot, it opened up a nice spot for it. I think the pop of yellow there really breaks up all the purple from the 3 gorgonians and the digi. Also, there are two different pink zoanthid colonies there, so its a bit monotone. It needed a pop. I wanted to get a yellow sea whip from KPA but I just don't have space. I didn't get that one when I ordered all my gorgonians because I have one in the seahorse tank and I know that one grows out instead of up. It takes up a ton of real estate. At this point I can't think of a single spot where I could put another gorgonian.

• Like 1

Softies softies softies. I can almost smell them in that pic you took while holding both. :)

I love the ability to look up at the bottom of the tank, I could do that with my old bowfront as well. The Tomini looks great and I agree, better looking than a Kole.

• Like 2

I love your new coral! They are such great additions to your tank and can't wait to see where you place them and how they contribute to the overall look of your reef.

• Like 2

That yellow leather coral is so cool! Must...resist....urge....to...find...one!

Haha! Now you sound like me after I saw Gena's. Obviously I didn't resist the urge :)

Wow they are both awesome colors! But that yellow!! :wub:

Yeah yellow is a pretty unique color in corals :D

Softies softies softies. I can almost smell them in that pic you took while holding both. :)

I love the ability to look up at the bottom of the tank, I could do that with my old bowfront as well. The Tomini looks great and I agree, better looking than a Kole.

Weirdly, they actually didn't smell that bad. I was expecting them too since they're softies, but on the scale of coral smells, they really weren't bad at all when I was holding them.

Yeah its pretty fun to be able to see the bottom of the sand bed. This tomini just all around seems to be a much healthier fish than that kole tang. She's got a really nice, dark body color now and has been eating every single day so she's got a bit of a belly. I'm feeding her mysis every other day and then on the alternate days she gets nori. In between she grazes constantly and has been really doing a number on the algae!

I love your new coral! They are such great additions to your tank and can't wait to see where you place them and how they contribute to the overall look of your reef.

Thank you! I'm ready to get them placed so I can take a FTS with the new additions :) Maybe this afternoon I can go hunting for IC Gel. I refuse to use any other super glue. I am a coral super glue snob :lol:

Ok, so is anyone else having massive issues with photobucket? I can't get anything to upload for the last couple weeks, so I got forced to switch to Image Shack. Then I noticed random photos weren't displaying from Image Shack so I switched over to Flickr. That seems to be working well, but now old photos of mine on photobucket aren't displaying. Looks like my signature has officially disappeared. :furious:

• Like 3

Haha! Now you sound like me after I saw Gena's. Obviously I didn't resist the urge :)

Yeah yellow is a pretty unique color in corals :D

Weirdly, they actually didn't smell that bad. I was expecting them too since they're softies, but on the scale of coral smells, they really weren't bad at all when I was holding them.

Yeah its pretty fun to be able to see the bottom of the sand bed. This tomini just all around seems to be a much healthier fish than that kole tang. She's got a really nice, dark body color now and has been eating every single day so she's got a bit of a belly. I'm feeding her mysis every other day and then on the alternate days she gets nori. In between she grazes constantly and has been really doing a number on the algae!

Thank you! I'm ready to get them placed so I can take a FTS with the new additions :) Maybe this afternoon I can go hunting for IC Gel. I refuse to use any other super glue. I am a coral super glue snob :lol:

Ok, so is anyone else having massive issues with photobucket? I can't get anything to upload for the last couple weeks, so I got forced to switch to Image Shack. Then I noticed random photos weren't displaying from Image Shack so I switched over to Flickr. That seems to be working well, but now old photos of mine on photobucket aren't displaying. Looks like my signature has officially disappeared. :furious:

Please don't switch to FlLickr, I won;t be able to see them at work. imgur is free, I switched to that from imageshack because of the random display issue. :) Of course there are other folks here that have imgur blocked, I'm just being selfish.

• Like 3