ReefCleaners.org

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:23 PM, flyboy101 said:

I just set up Nuvo 10 system with the following specs.  I recently finished cycling and have added a couple frags of zoas and Palys.  

IM 10 Nuvo Tank

IM Spinstream nozzle

Sicce 0.5 return pump

Cobalt Neotherm 50W Heater

Tunze Osmolator Nano ATO

Jebao RW-4 (with 12V mod)

AI Prime HD

Eshopps Nano Skimmer

Neptune Apex EL controller

InTank Media Basket

Coralife Biocube Stand

7lbs liverock

10lbs live sand

I’ve taken up pretty much every square inch of space in my rear return chamber! So far everything in the tank seems happy.  I  need let the wallet recover a bit so I can buy some more corals now! 

691B84B0-029B-4F1E-82D1-413F621E64B9.jpeg

BE75B46E-6FF0-4BBC-8E5E-9BFCCFE393E3.jpeg

933A3F37-7EDB-42AE-8449-40E6646FD474.jpeg

B3AC3EBD-32ED-4134-8F6A-07AD8195990A.jpeg

what are you using as a stand?

Super excited that I should be joining the cool kids' club next week, as I'll be trading my setup for an IM setup (and some cash).  Couple questions that would apply to all of NanoReef, but Fusion 10 Club in particular:

Are y'all purchasing smaller rocks that just happen to fit, or are you breaking/cementing them to form 1 structure?  Most of my current rocks are proportionally sized for a larger tank. 

2 clownfish with a YWG+pistol shrimp too much if I use a skimmer? 

10 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

Super excited that I should be joining the cool kids' club next week, as I'll be trading my setup for an IM setup (and some cash).  Couple questions that would apply to all of NanoReef, but Fusion 10 Club in particular:

Are y'all purchasing smaller rocks that just happen to fit, or are you breaking/cementing them to form 1 structure?  Most of my current rocks are proportionally sized for a larger tank. 

2 clownfish with a YWG+pistol shrimp too much if I use a skimmer? 

Hey! Welcome! 

First question - you can do both. I got lucky and got smaller pieces (still pretty chunky).

Second question - are you concerned about bioload/space? You will find a lot of us with that that combo. Some even with an additional fish and their system is doing just fine. Again, it’s all about personal opinion and whether your system/fish can handle it. But please remember, just because your system can handle it does not mean your fish are thriving.

Go slow with the additions and as long as everything is thriving your combo should be more than fine. 

Daniel

7 minutes ago, Daniel91 said:

Hey! Welcome! 

First question - you can do both. I got lucky and got smaller pieces (still pretty chunky).

Second question - are you concerned about bioload/space? You will find a lot of us with that that combo. Some even with an additional fish and their system is doing just fine. Again, it’s all about personal opinion and whether your system/fish can handle it. But please remember, just because your system can handle it does not mean your fish are thriving.

Go slow with the additions and as long as everything is thriving your combo should be more than fine. 

Daniel

Thanks for that.  I'll obviously have my own personal quarry of liverock to work with then.  I'll start researching how to cement wet live rock. 

All I wanted out of my 45G in terms of livestock was 2 clownfish & YWG + pistol, so that's good to know that if I take my time I can make this work. 

1 minute ago, TatorTaco said:

Thanks for that.  I'll obviously have my own personal quarry of liverock to work with then.  I'll start researching how to cement wet live rock. 

All I wanted out of my 45G in terms of livestock was 2 clownfish & YWG + pistol, so that's good to know that if I take my time I can make this work. 

It works for a lot of other people, so with the correct parameters and patience it should definitely work for you. Good luck!

On 8/17/2018 at 11:42 PM, jxq4 said:

what are you using as a stand?

I'm using the new and improved version of the Coralife Biocube 16g stand,  works great and is very stable! make sure you get the new and improved version that has a solid wood panel backplane. 

Anyone put their tank on a 4' tall stand?  My current tank is at 32" or so, and I'm constantly stooping down to see it.  

Is the IM 10 designed for viewing when you're sitting/laying down, or standing? 

On 8/22/2018 at 4:09 PM, flyboy101 said:

I'm using the new and improved version of the Coralife Biocube 16g stand,  works great and is very stable! make sure you get the new and improved version that has a solid wood panel backplane. 

I tried using this stand and found it to be quite unstable. I admit, I had it on a tile floor and I did not measure or check to make sure the tiles were level/settled. I was very particular about using that specific stand in that specific spot - so it didn't really matter if it was the stand or floor. I ended up using a different stand in a different room.

Hi there nano-reef, this is my first post here, been reading build threads since last winter!. I have just gotten (2 weeks ago) a used 10 nuvo set up for a great price. Here are the specs:

cobalt heater

Kessil a80 light

inTank media basket w/floss and chemipure blue

smart micro ato

stock return pump

jebao rw-4 w/wavemaker and dial power control

It also came with around 10lbs of live rock, some live sand, a cleaner shrimp, some snails and hermits and the following coral frags: 

-acan

-toadstool leather

-green mushroom

-orange monti setosa

-pinkish/orange goniopora (was told it was an alveopora but it has 24 tentacles per head)

-jack o'lantern lepto

This is my first time having an aquarium in around 17 years and my first time having corals at all (in high school I had a FOWLR). I had a couple questions for you all:

-should I be worried about the jebao killing perching fish like blennies? Is there a jebao with a better guard to stop small fish from getting to the blades when it is in pulse mode? 

-If i replaced the return nozzle with a spin stream (or something else) and upgraded the return pump (to what? a sicce .5, 1.0, 1.5?) could I get rid of the wave maker entirely? Most of the coral don't seem to need tons of flow, but the goniopora is so much happier with the jebao on than off.

Right now I am going to focus on maintaining the tank for another 2 weeks before adding more coral and fish. My plans are to get a tailspot blenny, a pink streaked or possum wrasse, and a shrimp/goby pair!

• Like 2
SoonerorRaider

Awesome thread everyone.  I have been learning so much, but now it's time to quit lurking and jump in!

I am 2 weeks in to a build and am nearing the end of cycling (based on test results).  I'm trying to keep it really simple and on a budget, Mr. Money Mustache style!

Equipment

IM Fusion 10 of course! ($90 after some haggling and came with all this stuff)

Upgraded Cobalt 159gph return pump

IM Ghost Skimmer

IM SpinStream Nozzle

Upgraded IM filter caddy

50W Aqueon Heater

Cheapo LED light

AI Prime HD, not installed yet ($130)

JBJ ATO, working on install ($25)

IM MightyJet DC 326gph max return pump ($53)

Retrofitted and wife painted a well-built nightstand for a stand ($20)

2.5 gallon tank being used as a RODI reservoir ($20, but should have been $15 if she could have made change!)

*Hydor Koralia Nano 240gph powerhead ($25)

*KMC 6 Outlet Power Strip w/ independent switches ($10)

*Sungrow LCD Digital Thermometer ($6)

other stuff...

*Refractometer ($18)

*ATI test kit ($18)

*only new equipment I have

Maintenance

I'm wanting to not use the skimmer if I can avoid it.  I'd like to lose the Hydor powerhead also as it takes up soooo much space in the display.  If I can pull it out, I will only have the light, return pump, and ATO plugged in to the power strip, which makes this reefer happy!

The thinking is to rely solely on the live rock/sand, some Seachem matrix in a media bag, and Chemi-pure blue (I've read/heard lots of good things about this stuff).  This, of course will be secondary to WEEKLY WATER CHANGES!  emphasis here for my alter ego who likes to procrastinate 🙂

Livestock

Undecided here, but thinking either a couple of Clownfish or a single Clownfish with a Bangai Cardinal and a Diamond Goby paired with a Pistol Shrimp.  Each of these inhabitants tend to stay in a different area of the tank I believe.  Also wanting to do softies and LPS and maybe dabble with some easy, beginner SPS if I'm having success.

Confession

My wife and I had 2 reef tanks in a past life - 75 gallon bowfront and 29 gallon - that we took down and sold during a move.  I've always wanted to get back into the hobby and the itch never left.  I've actually been lugging around 50 pounds of live rock from those tanks for over 15 years!  That rock has probably traveled 3000 miles with me, but some of it now has a home again 🙂

I'm hoping to learn more and share my progress.  Super excited to be back reefing!

Here are some pics of the progression and to document the journey!

CL Special!

IMG_2599.thumb.PNG.eb68bbcbf9fd728156742e6bc2d2cdc6.PNG

Cycling, aquascaping done!

IMG_2683.thumb.JPG.4a7f04fb0d6314b55e47f788c2a49e3a.JPG

2.5 Gal ATO Reservoir with slide-out for easy filling 🙂

IMG_2770.thumb.JPG.7655a9cdab45d1ba45a2a089e3104805.JPG

IMG_2772.thumb.JPG.0c67817f2d54f0a8de5a0adf9a048012.JPG

Stand innards (trying to keep tidy...need to do some cord management this weekend)

IMG_2786.thumb.jpg.52b9bbcc0405f69132bb4945c530bb93.jpg

Today

IMG_2788.thumb.jpg.672003540a40c9279700dbe446ed927d.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, SoonerorRaider said:

Awesome thread everyone.  I have been learning so much, but now it's time to quit lurking and jump in!

I am 2 weeks in to a build and am nearing the end of cycling (based on test results).  I'm trying to keep it really simple and on a budget, Mr. Money Mustache style!

Equipment

IM Ghost Skimmer

IM SpinStream Nozzle

Upgraded IM filter caddy

50W Aqueon Heater

Cheapo LED light

2.5 gallon tank being used as a RODI reservoir ($20, but should have been $15 if she could have made change!)

other stuff...

*Refractometer ($18)

*ATI test kit ($18)

Maintenance

I'm wanting to not use the skimmer if I can avoid it.  I'd like to lose the Hydor powerhead also as it takes up soooo much space in the display.  If I can pull it out, I will only have the light, return pump, and ATO plugged in to the power strip, which makes this reefer happy!

The thinking is to rely solely on the live rock/sand, some Seachem matrix in a media bag, and Chemi-pure blue (I've read/heard lots of good things about this stuff).  This, of course will be secondary to WEEKLY WATER CHANGES!  emphasis here for my alter ego who likes to procrastinate 🙂

Livestock

Undecided here, but thinking either a couple of Clownfish or a single Clownfish with a Bangai Cardinal and a Diamond Goby paired with a Pistol Shrimp.  Each of these inhabitants tend to stay in a different area of the tank I believe.  Also wanting to do softies and LPS and maybe dabble with some easy, beginner SPS if I'm having success.

Confession

My wife and I had 2 reef tanks in a past life - 75 gallon bowfront and 29 gallon - that we took down and sold during a move.  I've always wanted to get back into the hobby and the itch never left.  I've actually been lugging around 50 pounds of live rock from those tanks for over 15 years!  That rock has probably traveled 3000 miles with me, but some of it now has a home again 🙂

I'm hoping to learn more and share my progress.  Super excited to be back reefing!

CL Special!

Stand innards (trying to keep tidy...need to do some cord management this weekend)

Today

Wow nice setup! I just have a sicce 1.0 pump, no spinstream or powerhead and it seems to be doing well so far. Spinstream reduces the flow. 

777BE29E-C0C2-4817-A2C9-791D0053A600.jpeg

20 hours ago, SoonerorRaider said:

Equipment

IM Ghost Skimmer

IM SpinStream Nozzle

Upgraded IM filter caddy

50W Aqueon Heater

Cheapo LED light

other stuff...

*Refractometer ($18)

*ATI test kit ($18)

Maintenance

Livestock

Confession

CL Special!

Today

Thats a neat ato chamber idea. Never thought about a sliding panel.

SoonerorRaider
On 8/25/2018 at 1:42 PM, sadley77 said:

Nice and organized set up!  Will definitely be following.  Do you have a journal?

I don't know how to do that.  Still learning how to navigate the sight.  There is sooo much information, which can be good and confusing.  Thanks, trying hard to make it not look like the back room at the LFS.

SoonerorRaider
On 8/25/2018 at 2:08 PM, banasophia said:

Wow nice setup! I just have a sicce 1.0 pump, no spinstream or powerhead and it seems to be doing well so far. Spinstream reduces the flow. 

777BE29E-C0C2-4817-A2C9-791D0053A600.jpeg

Thank you banasophia!  The Sicce was and is my second choice.  I love the MightyJet for it's controlability, low power consumption (15w), and flow rate (326gph), but it's more noisy than I had hoped for...maybe because I bought it used?  I have a couple of tricks (switch to silicone tube between pump and return nozzle, place silicone pad under pump) that I saw on a BRS video, but if they don't work I may swap out for a Sicce.  I will give it a couple of weeks too as I know that pumps take some time to "set in" before they quiet down.

Do you know if the Syncra Silent 1.5 will fit in the back?  That's the one I had my eye on because of the higher flow (357gph vs 251gph).

SoonerorRaider
6 hours ago, Joevember said:

Thats a neat ato chamber idea. Never thought about a sliding panel.

Thanks Joe.  I'm really liking it so far.  It was pretty simple really, for parts:

Poplar Hobby Board cut and painted to size for 2.5gal tank ($7ish at Home Depot for 2 ft x 6" piece)

2x -12" Full Extension Ball Bearing Drawer Slide (I paid too much @ $15, here are some cheaper ones)

SoonerorRaider
On 8/25/2018 at 12:08 PM, SoonerorRaider said:

Equipment

IM Ghost Skimmer

IM SpinStream Nozzle

Upgraded IM filter caddy

50W Aqueon Heater

Cheapo LED light

other stuff...

*Refractometer ($18)

*ATI test kit ($18)

Maintenance

Livestock

Confession

CL Special!

Today

I keep getting funny numbers from the API test kits.  Mostly the nitrates are testing in the 20-80 range depending.  Ammonia and nitrites are 0 and 0.5 respectively.  LFS tested my water and has nitrates at 0 or 10 depending on the store I choose.  I'm 2 weeks plus in and used Dr. Tim's Ammonia Chloride and Microbacter7 as well as Dr. Tim's Nitrifying bacteria (whole bottle).

My LFS recommended using a Chromi or soft coral to evaluate water quality further if I'm getting conflicting results.  So...

I picked up a frag of GSP:

IMG_2801.thumb.jpg.c28687e1f4fc689198dac7efab09999b.jpg

Less than 24 hours later:

IMG_2803.thumb.jpg.c84e2f806375c340e11fb84a17368c59.jpg

If he is any indication of water quality I think we are on the right track.

IMG_2802.thumb.jpg.45647e4a6f517e2d9fd3f9e97a048b98.jpg

I also picked up a Tiger Goby (kids and wife ganged up on me) to begin his stay in QT Tank Penitentiary.  All doubts about the DT should be removed long before he's done serving his sentence.

Here he is doing time:

IMG_2798.thumb.jpg.789cd5c6e89681d353150a1fdcf1bf70.jpg

58 minutes ago, SoonerorRaider said:

Thank you banasophia!  The Sicce was and is my second choice.  I love the MightyJet for it's controlability, low power consumption (15w), and flow rate (326gph), but it's more noisy than I had hoped for...maybe because I bought it used?  I have a couple of tricks (switch to silicone tube between pump and return nozzle, place silicone pad under pump) that I saw on a BRS video, but if they don't work I may swap out for a Sicce.  I will give it a couple of weeks too as I know that pumps take some time to "set in" before they quiet down.

Do you know if the Syncra Silent 1.5 will fit in the back?  That's the one I had my eye on because of the higher flow (357gph vs 251gph).

I know you weren't asking me, but I recently set up a nuvo 10, and wanted no equipment in the display, so I researched pumps pretty thoroughly. I too was interested in the 1.5 but it will not fit. In the end I decided the smaller mighty jet was the best option(larger one doesn't fit anyway) combined with a random flow generator. Offers controlability, with feed mode, and delivers optimum random flow. 

My lower flow animals don't get beat up by flow down low but my sps up high get plenty. And Mine's silent. 

1 hour ago, SoonerorRaider said:

I don't know how to do that.  Still learning how to navigate the sight.  There is sooo much information, which can be good and confusing.  Thanks, trying hard to make it not look like the back room at the LFS.

There's a journal sub forum. Just start a thread in there and document your build. 

SoonerorRaider
17 hours ago, MrObscura said:

I know you weren't asking me, but I recently set up a nuvo 10, and wanted no equipment in the display, so I researched pumps pretty thoroughly. I too was interested in the 1.5 but it will not fit. In the end I decided the smaller mighty jet was the best option(larger one doesn't fit anyway) combined with a random flow generator. Offers controlability, with feed mode, and delivers optimum random flow. 

My lower flow animals don't get beat up by flow down low but my sps up high get plenty. And Mine's silent. 

Thanks Mr.O.  I have just pulled my Hydor.  The GSP were completely still with that pump running alone.  I need more flow for the trade-off on tank space so he's gone :-)

My MightyJet is not as loud after a week now, but I think my hose is still too stiff and all the vibration is being amplified through it.  I'll swap with silicone tube and put the pad in...hoping I get the same results as you.

Thanks again!

Hi all,

I just purchased a used IM10.  It came with a AI Prime HD, MP10, Esshops nano skimmer, Siccee .5 return pump, after market media basket, lid from Tops Lids, and a heater.  Also had a yellow watchman and 2 cleaner shrimp

I am new to the nano world and honestly have no clue what I am doing.

My plan is LPS/Zoa only.  

What should I be running for filtration?

I did not like the look of the mp10 in the tank so I pulled it out and put it in the sump of my 105.  The .5 with the slip stream rotating nozzle seemed to be really slow so I put a cobalt MJ1200 on it instead.  Not sure if its too much but stuff seems to be flowing good.

Also what schedules are yall running with the AI Prime HD's.  I found one on the AI website but not really liking it too much, and not really sure on proper settings for LPS and Zoas on such a small tank.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm doing a full mixed Reef with zoas, shrooms and LPS and sps. For filtration I just run some filter floss and chemipure blue. 

For flow I run an IM mighty jet return pump(326gph) with a random flow generator. 

As for lighting, I'm running the brs abs settings at 50% with 12 hours total light period. 4 hours ramp up and down with 4 hours max intensity.