Coral Vue Hydros

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

35 minutes ago, Kosta Fusion 10 Gallon said:

That wont benefit the tank! will actually cause you more problems if anything! don't do that.. please just dont lol! not on a 10 gallon...

Why? I obviously couldn’t run them at 100%... or could I...? Wouldn’t it basically be like having a Hydra 26, Radion XR15, or Nanobox Duo? I want my WD acro to blind passers by (and small children) with florescence, and I feel like it needs insane PAR to get there.

1 minute ago, da1001 said:

Here is a good video on using multiple Primes that BRS did awhile back, hope it helps give you some decent info so you can make a decision on whether or not you want to try it out.  

Appreciate it!! I’ve watched that, but haven’t seen anyone try to leverage two Primes in attempts to try to limit shadowing on a 10g. I feel like the rational person would just upgrade the tanks size, but I unfortunately can’t. The perks of living in a 3rd world country...err... US city. 

I think if anyone here thinks about buying a second prime they usually sell their first prime and put the money towards a Hydra 26 instead?  IDK though, its definitely something I never thought about before!  Hope you find someone who has tried it, good luck Cannedfish.

SURVEYMAN46123
On 3/28/2018 at 5:42 PM, Cannedfish said:

Anyone out there have two AI Primes over their IM10? I'm thinking if I add another I can mount them towards the edge of the tank and angle them inwards and reduce shadowing, also I'm pretty sure a tad bit of extra par wouldn't hurt.

I've never seen it, but don't think its an awful idea.   I'd want to hang them instead of attaching them to my tank.   That would be the only draw back to me.

• Like 1
On 3/28/2018 at 5:42 PM, Cannedfish said:

Anyone out there have two AI Primes over their IM10? I'm thinking if I add another I can mount them towards the edge of the tank and angle them inwards and reduce shadowing, also I'm pretty sure a tad bit of extra par wouldn't hurt.

Lol, trying to dope your corals for the competition?

• Like 1

Sorry it has been a few days I kept checking back but there wasn’t much action. Yeah the 1.0 was a pain with one rfg. You could fanagle some rocks and add in more loc line but I just wanted the simple outlet on the wall look. Also I’d like to note I’m extremely picky/hard to please and although I’d prefer a AA lid without the feeder cut out, they are very high quality. If it wasn’t such a waste of money and the wife wouldn’t find out I’d buy another to fit my taste lol.

Also @Cannedfish I’ve been waiting to add a wetmorrella but I’m holding out for the perfect opportunity. I see them all the time on DD and I never pull the trigger. Here’s hoping my lfs brings in a beauty.

CinnamonTorch

Hello everyone, my tank has reached the point where I need to dose daily both alk and cal... im am currently looking for a 2 part dosing pump! do any of you recommend any dosing pumps? and if so, have you had success with them on a tank like the nuvo 10? thanks again

Just wanted to say hi to everyone! I've been lurking for a little while and am currently a couple weeks in to my first SW tank with a IM fusion 10. I'm so glad to have found this thread! Lurking is an understatement... I literally read all 91 pages and it has helped me IMMENSELY, especially in picking out hardware for this tank. I'm really enjoying being inspired by your beautiful tanks and I'm sure I'll need assistance along the way. Check out my build thread if you're interested! 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, lizzyann said:

Just wanted to say hi to everyone! I've been lurking for a little while and am currently a couple weeks in to my first SW tank with a IM fusion 10. I'm so glad to have found this thread! Lurking is an understatement... I literally read all 91 pages and it has helped me IMMENSELY, especially in picking out hardware for this tank. I'm really enjoying being inspired by your beautiful tanks and I'm sure I'll need assistance along the way. Check out my build thread if you're interested! 

Congratulations and welcome to the club! :welcome:

1 minute ago, IlliniMed said:

Alright peeps: Reef Glass or Cheato Reactor? 

Do you mean an external reactor? Conventional wisdom is that there isn't enough room in the back chamber for enough chaeto to really make much of a difference.

4 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Do you mean an external reactor? Conventional wisdom is that there isn't enough room in the back chamber for enough chaeto to really make much of a difference.

Yes - I was planning on using an aquamaxx reactor 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, IlliniMed said:

Yes - I was planning on using an aquamaxx reactor 

Gotcha. I don't think there's really a right or wrong answer, as a lot will depend on your personal preference, and what you plan to put in the tank. A lot of people feel that any kind of external reactor kind of defeats the biggest appeal of an all-in-one tank, since now it's not all-in-one any more. And it's harder to maintain an external reactor when it's not sitting in or above a sump, since you have to deal with water pouring out all over the place when you open it up. But there are easy ways to handle that and if you're considering an external reactor I'm sure you've already decided your OK with the inconvenience.

Chaeto reactors have to be taken apart regularly to clear out any accumulated gunk that may be blocking water flow through the chaeto, and, hopefully, to harvest the chaeto growth. The problem isn't as bad in the larger reactors.

I'm personally not a fan of air-powered skimmers. I had one for years on my 4g, and the regular air stone changes and the expense of getting an air pump strong enough to work really well made it about as expensive as a regular skimmer. And it never skimmed really well even at best.

In theory, a chaeto reactor with enough chaeto and a strong enough light will cover all your nutrient export needs. But most chaeto-only folks seem to recommend at least 10 or 20% of the total water volume be dedicated for chaeto, which is a pretty big reactor for a 10g tank. Plus, there are times when nothing is better than a skimmer for quick cleanup of stuff in the tank and to keep up oxygenation.

Finally, some folks (myself included) don't have much luck getting chaeto to grow. It can be because the tank is too clean and lacks adequate nitrates and phosphates to feed the chaeto.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend either unless you already have a functioning system that has shown that you need more than just floss and carbon/gfo to keep things under control. But that's just my personal preference - hope this helps :)

• Like 4

Hi!!!:)

So I just ordered my very first IM fusion 10g!! This will replace my 8g cube reeftank:D I'm excited about it!!! I was wondering about the return pump though, I have an aqueon 1200 in my closet, not sure if it would fit instead of the stock pump?

Tank should get here next week. Can't wait!!!

• Like 1
On 2/15/2018 at 3:31 PM, Kosta Fusion 10 Gallon said:

Agreed, that's why most of us here recommend the 0.5! its a great pump. I actually find it to be too strong so I've cranked it down like 2 or 3 notches.. seems to be better now! I went with the reef glass because it barely took up any space in the back and its simple to use and simple to maintain (tip: reef glass works very well when water level is consistent.. I recommend getting an ato if you dont already have one! im rocking the smart ato micro and I absolutely love it.)

Goodluck! If you'd like to take a look at my tank on instagram my I.G is CinnamonTorch_Crunch :) 

Do you have a build thread here on nano reef? I'd love to check out your setup.

• Like 1
CinnamonTorch
On 2018-04-14 at 9:32 AM, dferrari13 said:

Do you have a build thread here on nano reef? I'd love to check out your setup.

I unfortunately dont! But i do have all my content on my instagram!:) simpy put, this is what i’m rocking:

ai prime HD

reef glass protein skimmer

sicce 0.5 return pump with a spinstream nozzle

auto aqua smart ato micro

eshopps 2 pump doser (dosing calcium and alk)

innovative marine custom caddy (holding filter floss, chemipure elite, rowaphos, and seachem matrix)

thats pretty much it!

• Like 2
On 4/1/2018 at 9:59 PM, smiley28 said:

Also @Cannedfish I’ve been waiting to add a wetmorrella but I’m holding out for the perfect opportunity. I see them all the time on DD and I never pull the trigger. Here’s hoping my lfs brings in a beauty.

Definitely, a cool fish! It may take a bit for them to get used to the tank and come out, but once they warm up to you they are awesome!

Alright so tank switch has been done!! Love that new tank!!:D corals look terrible and fish are hiding but hopefully everything will come around! There's room for coral! But I'm gonna get soft corals, like kenya tree, mushrooms, some xenia maybe.

20180420_192943.jpg

• Like 1

Any suggestions for a tool that can clean out the L shaped filtration 3rd chamber?  Mine is starting to really fill up with gunk.

I was thinking of some kind of brush head that has a flexible arm to bee able to make that turn into the back of the chamber.  Just cannot find one.

SURVEYMAN46123
11 hours ago, igrover said:

Any suggestions for a tool that can clean out the L shaped filtration 3rd chamber?  Mine is starting to really fill up with gunk.

I was thinking of some kind of brush head that has a flexible arm to bee able to make that turn into the back of the chamber.  Just cannot find one.

Once a month I place my stock pump in the chamber sideways and turn it on.   It usually breaks up the gunk enough where I can siphon it out.

New to the forum and club!! I don't have any pictures yet I need to borrow my niece to come take some photos as i'm not into photography and my phone pictures are garbage LOL. Once I get the pictures on my computer I will start my build thread. My brand new Nuvo 10 is in the start of week 2 in cycling. I went with the Kessil a160we with spectral controller, Ghost skimmer, Sicce return pump, Cobalt heater, Tunze ATO, I.M ATO glass container, IKEA Sektion wall cabinet for stand and the I.M upgraded media basket. My second haul which should be here Wednesday was the B.R.S RO/DI unit, Red sea Coral pro salt, heater and pump so I can brew my own water. I tested the salinity of the water from my LFS and it was a rather low 1.015!! So I decided i'll just mix the water myself. My 3rd and hopefully final (LOL) haul for gear this year will be the Vortech MP10, APEX classic system with probes and all the goodies along with the chill solutions thermoelectric chiller. I'll likely place that order mid next week. I have a question though. Will the salinity clocking in at 1.015 from the water from my LFS hurt my cycling, or will it be OK for cycling and when I start my water changes I can slowly raise it with weekly water changes before adding the first livestock? 

• Like 1