Top Shelf Aquatics

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

18 hours ago, banasophia said:

If you already have fish, I would use BioSpira, I think it’s better than Prime and Stability for what you’re trying to accomplish (safer fish, faster cycle).

Microbacter7 and Dr. Tim's will also work.

@letskeepcoolpeeps In the future, don't cycle with fish, and add only one at a time. Three fish is probably too much for a 10 gallon, too, especially a brand new one.  Since your lfs recommended this unkind and decades-outdated practice, I'd find a new lfs, or at least ignore everything they say. I expect they hope to sell you more fish when the cyclers die. Hope they make it through ok. 

PS what kind of fish are they?

• Like 2
On 10/16/2018 at 2:27 PM, smiley28 said:

has anyone else had high temp trouble with the 10g? Mine won’t drop below 80 regardless of surrounding room temperature.

We've already moved on from this topic but I've been having trouble with high temps too! I haven't done enough experimenting to see what exactly is causing it, just turned down the heater and nothing changed. Let me know if you figure it out!

letskeepcoolpeeps
3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Microbacter7 and Dr. Tim's will also work.

@letskeepcoolpeeps In the future, don't cycle with fish, and add only one at a time. Three fish is probably too much for a 10 gallon, too, especially a brand new one.  Since your lfs recommended this unkind and decades-outdated practice, I'd find a new lfs, or at least ignore everything they say. I expect they hope to sell you more fish when the cyclers die. Hope they make it through ok. 

PS what kind of fish are they?

2 darwin clowns and 1 yellowtail damsel.  I was originally just cycling with damsels but we paired the darwins from different tanks and they matched instantly so lust ensued and one thing led to another.  So far it is a happy family and no signs of sickness or death yet - Day 6.     Darwin clown pair and yellowtail damsel both eat NLS flakes and the clowns also eat PE mysis.  

2 hours ago, letskeepcoolpeeps said:

2 darwin clowns and 1 yellowtail damsel.  I was originally just cycling with damsels but we paired the darwins from different tanks and they matched instantly so lust ensued and one thing led to another.  So far it is a happy family and no signs of sickness or death yet - Day 6.     Darwin clown pair and yellowtail damsel both eat NLS flakes and the clowns also eat PE mysis.  

From personal experience I'd suggest swapping from flakes to pellets-the excess phosphates in my flakes were a contributing factor to my cyano problem. I wouldn't plan on any more fish in this tank as three is pretty maxed out. Continue using prime, try to find one of the bacteria supplements I mentioned, and be prepared to do water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites down. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, lizzyann said:

We've already moved on from this topic but I've been having trouble with high temps too! I haven't done enough experimenting to see what exactly is causing it, just turned down the heater and nothing changed. Let me know if you figure it out!

Do you have a powerhead? I was running a koralia nano powerhead and it raised my temp to like 80-81 degrees. Took it out and now it’s back to the usual 78 I have it at. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Wherrey said:

Do you have a powerhead? I was running a koralia nano powerhead and it raised my temp to like 80-81 degrees. Took it out and now it’s back to the usual 78 I have it at. 

Yea I have an Aquamai kps and now that I really think about it I think that's likely the issue. Overheating wasn't always a problem and may have started after adding the powerhead. Only other later addition was the skimmer. 

17 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

From personal experience I'd suggest swapping from flakes to pellets-the excess phosphates in my flakes were a contributing factor to my cyano problem. 

What pellets do you recommend? I have used flakes for years, and your obeservations might help me avoid the cyano problems I have had in past tanks.

32 minutes ago, eddieh said:

What pellets do you recommend? I have used flakes for years, and your obeservations might help me avoid the cyano problems I have had in past tanks.

Right now I'm using Hikari Marine S, my pink streaked wrasse likes them. I was using Formula One flakes. Hopefully someone else can recommend other brands. I'm feeding my sick goby some Omega One micro pellets with garlic to entice him to eat but those pellets are quite small. 

It's been said, but it's worth repeating. Don't cycle with fish. 

Now that that's out of the way, I feed my clowns nls marine pellets. They gobble them up like pigs and nutrients stay in line. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Right now I'm using Hikari Marine S, my pink streaked wrasse likes them. I was using Formula One flakes. 

I was using the Formula 2 flakes and maybe that was contributing to my cyano issues in my last tank. 

2 hours ago, eddieh said:

I was using the Formula 2 flakes and maybe that was contributing to my cyano issues in my last tank. 

It's possible, I think flakes in general tend to be pretty heavy on the phosphates. 

• Thanks 1

Anyone using just a return pump for flow? If so, what one? Spin stream with it or no?

I want to remove my MP10 just to keep it simple with less stuff. 

On 8/25/2018 at 4:08 PM, banasophia said:

Wow nice setup! I just have a sicce 1.0 pump, no spinstream or powerhead and it seems to be doing well so far. Spinstream reduces the flow. 

Just found this post, this still working for you?

On 11/7/2018 at 2:07 PM, Tamberav said:

Anyone using just a return pump for flow? If so, what one? Spin stream with it or no?

Im using the Sicce 0.5 dialed down like two notches and seems to be doing good for me so far... I was using the spin stream but it was to noisy for me it clicked too much and then it did cut back the flow a lot from my return. I personally didn't like it but I've seen it works great for others

• Like 1
On 11/7/2018 at 1:09 PM, Tamberav said:

Just found this post, this still working for you?

Yes, still working for me so far with just the sicce 1.0 pump, no spinstream, no powerhead. I do have a spare powerhead on hand in the event I need to add it, but I haven’t yet. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wherrey said:

Im using the Sicce 0.5 dialed down like two notches and seems to be doing good for me so far... I was using the spin stream but it was to noisy for me it clicked too much and then it did cut back the flow a lot from my return. I personally didn't like it but I've seen it works great for others

9 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Yes, still working for me so far with just the sicce 1.0 pump, no spinstream, no powerhead. I do have a spare powerhead on hand in the event I need to add it, but I haven’t yet. 

Thank you both, this is the route I am going to go then. 

• Like 2
On 11/8/2018 at 8:07 AM, Tamberav said:

Im using a eheim compact 1000 with a twin outlet with random flow generators. Its not bad at the moment things seem reasonably happy I’m still dialing in flow. Wish i had some flow from the opposite side aswell tho.

I am the same though i wanted to keep it as clutter free in the tank.

• Like 1

The biggest problem I had with just a sicce..5 and a Spinstream is that you get dead spots along the back of the wall. 

I added a aqamai kps which is tiny and programmable. 

I keep it in wave most of the day and it adds a nice random flow that actually keeps crap from settling on the bottom

Also something I didn't realize for the longest time. The elbow in the hose that goes from the pump to the Spinstream gets pretty clogged in the elbow.  I always cleaned the line out just not the elbow.  Welp got a thick pipe cleaner and just about shit when I saw what came out. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
4 hours ago, dcknipe said:

The biggest problem I had with just a sicce..5 and a Spinstream is that you get dead spots along the back of the wall. 

I keep it in wave most of the day and it adds a nice random flow that actually keeps crap from settling on the bottom

Also something I didn't realize for the longest time. The elbow in the hose that goes from the pump to the Spinstream gets pretty clogged in the elbow.  I always cleaned the line out just not the elbow.  Welp got a thick pipe cleaner and just about shit when I saw what came out. 

That's nice to know I probably would of overlooked that elbow as well. I took off the spin stream and I just have the pump flowing I have low flow under the return nozzle I put a ricordia underneath and its loving it there and I've noticed a very light sway to it 

On 11/7/2018 at 4:07 PM, Tamberav said:

The Sicce .5 gives the tank more than enough flow with a spin stream IMO. 

letskeepcoolpeeps

Looks like you were all wrong.  Not only did my clownfish survive the cycle, they are thriving.  They came into my tank with parasitic disease and I saved their lives with hyposalinity & Rid Ich Plus / Paraguard.    

I thought I was going to lose everything but it turns out I'm a damn good fish doctor.  Happy tank! 

Tank will remain hypo for 4 weeks so corals will have to wait.

1111181145.jpg

Tuan’s Reef

Jumping on the nuvo 10 bandwagon 🙂

this tank is going to be my observation tank for new arrivals and after treatment specimens that need a better home than a regular old petco 10g tank. 

Thinking im going with the sicce .5 return pump with spin nozzle as flow and intank media caddy as filtration. 

Going with AI Prime HD for lighting as the controls is on my iPhone rather than another piece of power cord to plug and route. 

Been running to the LFS for rodi and salt water but I can make my own now with my own rodi unit. 

Thinking weekly 10% WC should keep this tank well. 

• Like 2
On 11/10/2018 at 12:31 PM, dcknipe said:

Where did you install it? Next to the overflow? Where is it pointed? This sounds like a cool pump.

13 minutes ago, eddieh said:

Where did you install it? Next to the overflow? Where is it pointed? This sounds like a cool pump.

Mine is mounted on the side glass directly below my Spinstream.  It's pointed to the far opposite corner up at the water. 

Honestly I don't think another powerhead could beat this one due to size factor and control ability.  Here is a snap shot of my general schedule.  It gives me such a good random flow and doesn't overwelm anything in the tank with to much flow and I mostly have LPS. 

Screenshot_20181112-221153_Aqamai.jpg

• Thanks 1