Pod Your Reef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

sir, i have just spent the greater part of my afternoon reading this entire thread. you have basically sold me on wanting a 10g in my office full of zoas, acans and blastos

the fish are beautiful and so is the tank! best of luck with it

Wow, thanks! :blush: Let me know when you start a build thread so I can follow along! Good luck!

I also have a curlique anemone and that's what I thought your mystery 'aptasia 1' looked like. Mine has been a model citizen the 2 years I have had it although it will sting things in range.

Thanks! I've got my fingers crossed for this guy. I've never had an anemone in my tank before, and he looks scary to my inexperienced eyes :lol:

• Like 1

loved seeing the pests fotos.

though i'm glad they are not true pests. :)

and john, you are the only reefer i follow who

can keep happy blastos alive! kudos to you!

i threw away an entire live rock because it was

encrusted with the white gelantious sponge that

was spreading like mad. also had a bunch of

the vertemid snails that i couldn't get to.

good riddance!

• Like 1

Thanks, Cindy, but I can't really take credit for the blastos. They are the merletti kind which apparently are way easier that the wellsi kind which is what everybody seems to have trouble with. But I do think they are really pretty :wub:

• Like 3

Thanks, Cindy, but I can't really take credit for the blastos. They are the merletti kind which apparently are way easier that the wellsi kind which is what everybody seems to have trouble with. But I do think they are really pretty :wub:

i know so little about blastos, i didn't realize.

good to know! think they are very pretty too! :D

hey how is that lava shroom (?) you bought recently?

any new fotos. i almost pulled the trigger on that, but

had been buying too much from ASD. ha!

• Like 1

i know so little about blastos, i didn't realize.

good to know! think they are very pretty too! :D

hey how is that lava shroom (?) you bought recently?

any new fotos. i almost pulled the trigger on that, but

had been buying too much from ASD. ha!

He's doing fine, thanks. Not quite as colorful as when I first got him, though. I'll try to get a new pic soon.

So while I was ordering more zoas from Aquascapers yesterday I noticed that they had some really pretty rock flower anemones. And the "sold" signs were popping up fast. Since trying a flower nem has been on my bucket list for a while, I got one! omgomgomg

I don't have a good picture of him yet, but here's the wysiwyg pic from Aquascapers:

17103574835_f40b3e0791_o.jpgGreen plus white tentacle flower anenome by TeenyReef, on Flickr

When I put him in, he opened up right away. He looks just like his picture :)

Of course, he didn't want to stay where I put him. In the picture below, he started out right next to the rainbow acans on the far left. Then he moved over next to the green acans. Now he's heading down the tunnel towards the back of the tank.

17102866252_78c1987225_b.jpgFlower Anenome Heading for the Hills by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Hopefully he won't decide he really likes the back side of the rocks best :happy:

• Like 6

Maybe it felt bothered by the serpent star? The nice thing about rock flowers is they look like their pics. I've gotten acans in the mail that don't ever seem to be the same, so much so that I can't tell what I bought. If it's a good looking evenly balanced pic, they you should always get WYSIWYG.

• Like 2

Sadly, when I fed the fish tonight, I found Norbert (tail spot blenny), dead, in the clutches of the red mithrax crab. RIP, little dude :tears:

I don't know why he died, as he was just fine last night, swimming and eating normally. I don't blame the crab, either.

I did realize the I left the pump and skimmer turned off after feeding the night before, so the tank had gone 24 hours without the usual filtration and skimming. The heat stayed pretty constant the whole time, and nothing else was upset, so I don't think that was the problem either.

In better news, the green flower nem made her way back to the front end of the tunnel. Hopefully she'll stay there.

• Like 4
Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sadly, when I fed the fish tonight, I found Norbert (tail spot blenny), dead, in the clutches of the red mithrax crab. RIP, little dude :tears:

I don't know why he died, as he was just fine last night, swimming and eating normally. I don't blame the crab, either.

I did realize the I left the pump and skimmer turned off after feeding the night before, so the tank had gone 24 hours without the usual filtration and skimming. The heat stayed pretty constant the whole time, and nothing else was upset, so I don't think that was the problem either.

In better news, the green flower nem made her way back to the front end of the tunnel. Hopefully she'll stay there.

R.I.P Norbert #neverforget. :(
  • Like 1

awww. So sorry about Norbert.

• Like 1

Sorry about the tailspot. They either die in the first 6 months or end up being long lived ... or killed by a pump. I've been really lucky with mine, and he's been lucky I saw him sleeping in the MP10 in time to knock the dry side off the tank before it turned on. They love pumps. :(

• Like 2

I finally have an updated FTS :) I'm going to take some time this month to play with the lighting as I think I could do better than this. And there's still a frag rack full of (new) frags so it still looks a little bit like a junk yard. But everything that's supposed to be in this tank is glued down and now it's just a matter of keeping the tank clean and letting things grow for a bit.

16990033866_658e18ed73_b.jpgIM10 FTS 02 April 2015 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

teenyreef, your tank is gorgeous. What were your NB settings at the time you took that photo, and what do you plan to change the settings to?

• Like 2

Ah, so sorry about Norbert! What a bummer. I had a darling tsb and I loved him. I have good luck with fish but not that one. Fuzz top only lasted a few months. :-(

Your tank is looking more beautiful all the time though!

• Like 1

teenyreef, your tank is gorgeous. What were your NB settings at the time you took that photo, and what do you plan to change the settings to?

Thanks! I believe that it was on 190/80 when I took that picture. I have it on 190/70 right now. Still trying to find the right mix of color and brightness that works best for the corals :)

Maybe it felt bothered by the serpent star? The nice thing about rock flowers is they look like their pics. I've gotten acans in the mail that don't ever seem to be the same, so much so that I can't tell what I bought. If it's a good looking evenly balanced pic, they you should always get WYSIWYG.

I know what you mean about the wysiwyg pictures. Acans are especially frustrating because they change colors too. I've gotten some that look just like the pictures, but then they lose their exotic coloring in my tank. That's one of the reasons I've not been able to settle on a good lighting combination yet in this tank.

The funny thing about the flower nem was that she was actually moving towards the starfish as she went further back! Of course, maybe she didn't realize she was heading straight for Starfish Central. Today she moved even further back towards where she started, only new she's wedged herself between the acans like she's trying to blend in with the green ones.

17129473311_fa18d732e7_b.jpgFlower Nem - Shhhh...Blending In by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Oh sorry, about Norbert. I was sad when mine disappeared too. I love their behavior.

R.I.P Norbert #neverforget. :(

awww. So sorry about Norbert.

Sorry about the tailspot. They either die in the first 6 months or end up being long lived ... or killed by a pump. I've been really lucky with mine, and he's been lucky I saw him sleeping in the MP10 in time to knock the dry side off the tank before it turned on. They love pumps. :(

Ah, so sorry about Norbert! What a bummer. I had a darling tsb and I loved him. I have good luck with fish but not that one. Fuzz top only lasted a few months. :-(

Your tank is looking more beautiful all the time though!

:grouphug: Norbert will be missed!

Thanks, everyone! It really helps to be able to share these little disappointments with my NR friends :flower:

Your experiences are encouraging me to try again. Hopefully I'll get one of the kind that live for more than a few months next time!

• Like 4

My blasto merlettis got unglued and knocked over by a snail, and while I was reaching down in the back corner to glue them down again, I managed to break the green monti cap in half :rant:

But on the bright side, the idaho grape is less shaded, and I'll be growing some green monti cap frags ;)

• Like 5
Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

My blasto merlettis got unglued and knocked over by a snail, and while I was reaching down in the back corner to glue them down again, I managed to break the green monti cap in half :rant:

But on the bright side, the idaho grape is less shaded, and I'll be growing some green monti cap frags ;)

Looks like I'm not the only one accidently who frags corals. ;)
  • Like 4

I know what you mean about the wysiwyg pictures. Acans are especially frustrating because they change colors too. I've gotten some that look just like the pictures, but then they lose their exotic coloring in my tank. That's one of the reasons I've not been able to settle on a good lighting combination yet in this tank.

Online stores, and many LFS, show off their corals under 20,000K MH lighting. The corals look magnificent because they flouresce under those conditions. It's good for sales. But when we buy them and place them in our own tanks they look pale... even brown at times.

Check this out. Dennis has a 10g Fusion containing a few softies and LPS: no SPS. The colors of his creatures are spectacular, and his NB settings are CH1: 255, CH2: 105. In other words, he's running the blue channel at 100% and his white channel at 41%. That's much higher than Dave at NB recommends.

I know you experienced bleaching with your initial NB settings. The trick to increasing lighting while avoiding bleaching is to increase the light by no more than 5% every week of two. (Corals can take a lot of light if done correctly. In natural reefs, many corals sit under intense sunlight all day long without bleaching.)

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I have a lot of SPS corals (although no Acros) in my Fusion 10g. My Nano Bx setting match yours, and I'm not happy with the coral colors either. I've done a lot of reading on LED lighting, but remain as confused as ever on that topic. So I'm going to have to do my own experimentation. Over the next several months I'm going to gradually increase the blues to around 225 and the whites to 90... maybe even closer to the settings Dennis uses if all goes well. Right now I know I need more blues to get my corals to color up and look the way I saw them looking under 20,000K MH lights.

• Like 2

Yeah, merlettis are a ton easier but just as pretty, thank goodness :).

Sorry to hear about Norbert :(.

I've been really lucky with mine, and he's been lucky I saw him sleeping in the MP10 in time to knock the dry side off the tank before it turned on. They love pumps. :(

That is some quick thinking and major heroics :wub:. I would have been like "what do I do, what do I do omgomgomg" LOL. Frozen with fear. Great job, Mark!
  • Like 4