ReefCleaners.org

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

It's a lovely display! Maybe add like a little feather worm or some fine macroalgae to add texture to the tank? Oh and what fish do you have in there?

Thanks!. It's still just getting started, though. If you check some of my early pages you'll see lots of macroalgae. I got uncured live rock just so I could have it. But then I got worried about too much nuisance algae, and got a couple crabs. Boom! No more macroalgae. At all. Ever. But I do have plenty of tiny feather worms. I'll have to post a picture of them some time soon.

As far as fish go, I just have one, a pink streaked wrasse named Fitzgerald:

16290950455_fc87204329_b.jpgFitzgerald needs a monocle by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 5

Aw, but that emerald crab is so cute!

i won't do any shrimps or crabs for my 8g!

it's just too risky imo. ha! too many stories

of aggressive behavior, which i can't have in

such a small space.

i did have a pom pom, but it died. so end of that

for a bit.

john, congrats on catching the crabby so quickly!

ETA: do you DOSE this tank and your small 4g?

if so, with what and how much?

• Like 1

From my experience, mithrax crabs will start eating your coral too. Every single one I've had has done it. I can't be that unlucky, right??? :lol:

Nice job catching the crab :happydance:.

• Like 2

I thought the emerald crab was cute until he got big and aggressive and would never let the corals eat in peace. He never actually ate the corals themselves, but he would reach right down their throats to get the food while they were eating. Bad crab :furious:

He's at the LFS now, waiting to find his Forever Home :wub:

From my experience, mithrax crabs will start eating your coral too. Every single one I've had has done it. I can't be that unlucky, right??? :lol:

Nice job catching the crab :happydance:.

Thanks! Have you had the same experience with the red mithraxes? My red one is very peaceful and doesn't bother the corals at all. But he's little so there's still time for him to go bad :mellow:

i won't do any shrimps or crabs for my 8g!

it's just too risky imo. ha! too many stories

of aggressive behavior, which i can't have in

such a small space.

i did have a pom pom, but it died. so end of that

for a bit.

john, congrats on catching the crabby so quickly!

ETA: do you DOSE this tank and your small 4g?

if so, with what and how much?

I love my pom pom in my 4g tank, but I only see him about once a month. And he came without pom poms, so he's really not all that exciting :)

I do dose my 4g tank as well as this one. It's a LOT easier to dose a 10g tank because it stays a lot more stable. The 4g can go through huge alk swings in just 24 hours, so I have to dose a couple times a day just to keep it stable.

Awesome build I will be following along, setting up a 10g Fusion within the next week,

That's great! Check in over in the IM10 Fusion Club thread and let us know when you start your build thread :)

• Like 1

Thanks! Have you had the same experience with the red mithraxes? My red one is very peaceful and doesn't bother the corals at all. But he's little so there's still time for him to go bad :mellow:

Worst offenders in my experience! Crabs are just bad :lol:.

Just as I was going to bed, I noticed something new, hanging out right in the middle of the GSP:

16311353088_55918f8f10_b.jpgMystery Crab by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here's a closer view:

16311354758_c3e8293ce6_b.jpgMystery Crab Closeup by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Anybody recognize it? My guess is a baby red mithrax crab. He's cute :) Hope he doesn't grow up to be something horrible :(

YES! Had one just like it. It's a really pretty one. But it's a bad one. Not a mithrax. Black pointy claws are bad news. Well, I think all crabs are bad news LOL. Anyways...mine lives in my sump/fuge now.
  • Like 2

Worst offenders in my experience! Crabs are just bad :lol:.

YES! Had one just like it. It's a really pretty one. But it's a bad one. Not a mithrax. Black pointy claws are bad news. Well, I think all crabs are bad news LOL. Anyways...mine lives in my sump/fuge now.

Yeah, I figure it's probably just a matter of time before the red mithrax goes bad too. But he's been a model citizen so far :)

As far as the baby crab goes, when I was taking the pictures, it looked like he had rounded white claws. But it does look like he might have black points on them in the pictures. I'll see if there's a better view of his claws in any of the "not so good" pictures I took.

• Like 3

Thanks! Some day I'll get a good picture of him. He doesn't exactly hide, but he really likes the shadier spots just in front of the rocks. He hardly ever comes out where the lights are bright. So every picture I take is underexposed or really grainy or blurry. Take your pick :(

• Like 1

Thanks! Some day I'll get a good picture of him. He doesn't exactly hide, but he really likes the shadier spots just in front of the rocks. He hardly ever comes out where the lights are bright. So every picture I take is underexposed or really grainy or blurry. Take your pick :(

Does he come out during feeding?

• Like 1

Does he come out during feeding?

Not much. He hangs out right in front of the rocks and waits for it to come to him. But he does eat. He's very chill :)

HAHAHA!! He DOES need a monocle!

Never thought of that - nice :lol:

• Like 1

Not much. He hangs out right in front of the rocks and waits for it to come to him. But he does eat. He's very chill :)

Never thought of that - nice :lol:

He has you trained well? just like my clowns- they refuse to move for feedings so I have to go to them?
  • Like 1

A quick update - I mentioned one of my new zoa frags wasn't doing well and looked like it was melting. I've done three days of Furan and even tried Peroxide but nothing's working. Barring a miracle, I think they're done for. These are the same zoas that were in the picture with the hermit crab less than a week ago :(

16320974477_db9f77a433_b.jpgSick Zoas - Day 3 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Just so I don't leave that nasty picture as the last thing for the night, here's a close up of a small frag of the favites, about 1/2" across. They got stretched as they detached from another piece of the rock, and I thought the way they look now is really cool. They're doing well and were putting out feeder tentacles earlier tonight :)

15884326344_7ce11c9f74_b.jpgFavites (frag macro) by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 1