Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

My niece is taking Marine Biology at Montclair University this semester (she's 9 years old).

Regular school is off today so she's home and testing my pH using some old strips I had. Told her I have a digital pH monitor in case she wants to impress the class. :D In a couple of weeks she is going to be dissecting a squid. Her teacher is trying to see if they can dissect a baby shark. :o

I'm quite jelly.

• Like 7

That would be sweet and sad at the same time.....She must be hard to keep challenged.

She's a dreamer so the hard part is keeping her focussed. She took a pre-law class when she was 7.

Her brother though - he's an alien. I haven't met a kid as smart as he is.

That would be sweet and sad at the same time.....She must be hard to keep challenged.

I BET!

When I was in HS, they had me in a lower level English class(es). I was not doing well.

They tested me, I was a Sophomore at the time. The Teacher tested the class to see what level

we were. My test came back as Sophomore (college) level English Lit and Junior (College) Level

Comprehension..I can't think of the word I want to use here.

But, yeah, it must be really difficult to keep ur niece challenged and wanting to keep her mind

curious.

• Like 1

It's good to know that Schools today now recognize the needs of individual students and not lumping them

into a class where they languish from the lack of a good challenge that they are interested in :)

I BET!

When I was in HS, they had me in a lower level English class(es). I was not doing well.

They tested me, I was a Sophomore at the time. The Teacher tested the class to see what level

we were. My test came back as Sophomore (college) level English Lit and Junior (College) Level

Comprehension..I can't think of the word I want to use here.

But, yeah, it must be really difficult to keep ur niece challenged and wanting to keep her mind

curious.

She's easy to distract and won't act out too much when she is bored. My nephew does. He is easily bored but is a happy kid, not grumpy so that helps a lot. He took a class on stocks and trading last semester (he is 11). NYfishies, his GF were over and we all went to lunch when my mom was visiting. My nephew and NYFishies were talking stocks. lol.

It's good to know that Schools today now recognize the needs of individual students and not lumping them

into a class where they languish from the lack of a good challenge that they are interested in :)

No, they go to regular school. But throughout the year they go to Montclair State University Gifted and Talented program. During the school term the classes are on the weekends, but in the summer it is 6 weeks of 8am to 3pm M-F.

• Like 2

Kids still need exposure to grade level things, but my daughter gets extra math, reading, and harder spelling words (she's 9). She was so disruptive in class at first because she was bored. I would love to find her some extra science classes, but fitting it in would be difficult.

• Like 2

Kids still need exposure to grade level things, but my daughter gets extra math, reading, and harder spelling words (she's 9). She was so disruptive in class at first because she was bored. I would love to find her some extra science classes, but fitting it in would be difficult.

We have advanced reading and math outside of school in a franchise learning center called Kumon. They have locations everywhere.

My nephew also goes after hours to another school one day a week for advanced math, besides Kumon. They aren't into sports so luckily academics does not clash with sports. However my niece enjoys playing music and art so that might be something we have to add-on in the future. In the summer they both take art classes.

• Like 3

I'm alive I'm alive. Just really busy with personal stuff. Need to focus. Tank is doing fine, corals are growing. Cleaned the fuge today and added a powerhead. It's been an algae garden lately and I am going to see if the added flow helps (it should) before I decide the fate of the fuge. If it doesn't help, the fuge is going off-line and being converted to a freshwater reservoir. The Manifold will be removed and I've got some re-plumbing to do for the return.

It's a big size - the fuge is - so I was also considering putting in my 2-part containers in it instead of converting it to a reservoir. Decisions decision.

• Like 5

I'm glad you're alive!

Do you see any risk to the balance of the tank if you take the fuge offline?

I do. However the fuge hasn't been a macro refugium as it once was. I will likely lose the biofiltration of the rock and sand that is in there. The plan is to substitute that with a Brightwell Xport Bio Brick. Nutrient export has not been what it used to since the macros melted. I've compensated by feeding less.

• Like 1

I do. However the fuge hasn't been a macro refugium as it once was. I will likely lose the biofiltration of the rock and sand that is in there. The plan is to substitute that with a Brightwell Xport Bio Brick. Nutrient export has not been what it used to since the macros melted. I've compensated by feeding less.

I'd forgotten you didn't have macros any more! It will probably be nice to have one less thing to keep clean.

I'm switching from bags of Xport-NO3 to a brick tonight, I think the bags of cubes accumulate too much gunk. Plus the brick should be better than the cubes anyway.

• Like 1

If you have auto insurance with someone, check with them, as they often give package discounts if you get both home and auto through the same provider.

Otherwise, cheaper is cheaper, but better is better... I have no idea.

• Like 2

We have Geico for our Car. We have had good service with them...Carjacking (Total Loss), Recent Car Accident (Shar) Totaled.

Took very good care of us. Remember, sometimes paying a slightly higher premium works out for ya in the long run.

Good to have, but hope ya never need. And God forbid if ya need, it's there to be used :)

UPC is our Homeowner's Ins. I just looked at the Website, they have Renter's...Don't know if they cover ur State.

http://www.upcinsurance.com/

Good luck with it :)

• Like 1