Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

I'm here I'm here. There is a lot going on in my life so I've been just trying to keep focussed. It's good. Tank is chugging along, I have some cyano and algae issues, but the ebbs and flows of a mature tank do not worry me.

A few weeks ago I discovered that I had accidentally un hooked the tubing from the alk container. I didn't know how long it was unhooked but I think probably 3 days. Benny held my hand while I measure ALk which was at 5.6 so not too bad. I started dosing again of course but at his suggestion I also added KALK in my top off. If you've followed me from eternity on this forum, you know I don't like to use KALK and I haven't had good luck with it. Well! That may have changed. I did not see any negative effects so let's just say that I won't be opposed to using it in the future.

I believe the levels are good now but I haven't measured. I don't measure a lot as you can tell. But today I am hooking up a canister filter for a few weeks with Xport media, carbon, floss, sponges. The extra filtration should help with high nutrients too.

One of my lovely aiptasias 'walked' and is now in a different spot. It was kinda cool to observe the bastard.

The only other eventful thing that happened was that I fragged large pieces about a month ago for a 750+gallon tank owner in Brooklyn. He's bought from me before. You would think with a tank that size he would buy colonies, but he likes to see them grow from frags. He lost most of his coral in a crash during the summer when he was away so he is starting over. Here are some pictures of his tank and fish room which was in the basement. He's a really nice guy too which is awesome.

Display. You can fit 2 mermaids lengthwise in this. it's about 12 feet wide.

He has to wear a snorkel to glue frags.

30327324526_0f3664410b_h.jpg

His sump looked like a 125G tank

30276152301_051b827a07_h.jpg

The skimmer came up higher than my waist, I'm short but even so THATSALOTTASKIMMER

30327243186_2221bb8c68_h.jpg

Custom reservoir. Each of those compartments are 3G

30276145011_23eafc4c6a_h.jpg

This UV was taller than me! I told Marc Levenson and he said but everything is taller than you! :furious:

30362373095_4247a441f2_h.jpg

These are huge too Kalk stirrer, GFO and Carbon

30362375865_a79609ae9c_h.jpg

The fuge, I think this may have been a 90 gallon

29732045214_fddeaccc55_h.jpg

And the frag tank. All those floaters were mine :D

29732050674_fe492b8144_h.jpg

He runs 2 6 stage RODI's the ATO is 30 gallons, the tank drinks about 6 gallons top off a day. 2 chillers. What a system. #reefgoals #gobigorgohome

For lights he runs MH and radions. He used to have T5s but switched.

And here's a quick video

• Like 10

He's using 2-part on a tank that size? I would have thought kalk and/or calcium reactor would be way cheaper to operate (once it fills with corals at least). It'll be interesting to see that tank fill up!

In other news. I was offered an upgrade to test out a system that has not yet been released. I had to turn it down.

beating-head-against-the-wall.gif

Not worth the hassle of moving everything over I assume?

In other news. I was offered an upgrade to test out a system that has not yet been released. I had to turn it down.

That's one of the saddest one line posts I've read in a while :(

Maybe I missed it? How are the home repairs going?

The tank upgrade decline is sad, but there is a lot that goes into a tank other than the glass/frame. Lights/skimmer/pumps and the change in the daily routine has to be adjusted. It is sad to hear, but I can understand a decline.

(not to mention the drama of pissed off corals)

• Like 1
jedimasterben

He has a kalk stirrer too, it's in one of the pictures. And I think he has a calcium reactor as well.

Doesn't show it in the photos, and even a kalk reactor has its limits, too (can only add so much kalk per day). But I'm sure they are aware of it :)

Doesn't show it in the photos, and even a kalk reactor has its limits, too (can only add so much kalk per day). But I'm sure they are aware of it :)

KALK stirrer

30362375865_a79609ae9c_h.jpg

Maybe I missed it? How are the home repairs going?

The tank upgrade decline is sad, but there is a lot that goes into a tank other than the glass/frame. Lights/skimmer/pumps and the change in the daily routine has to be adjusted. It is sad to hear, but I can understand a decline.

(not to mention the drama of pissed off corals)

:scarry:

• Like 1

Sucks... If only you knew someone in the hobby who could use a new tank; you could've given it to them.

hint hint

• Like 1

Your tank is incredible! I will be starting a 50 gallon soon and wanted to ask you which Magus Curve skimmer you are using? I can't decide between the 5 or the 7 but from what I've read every seems to love either one.

• Like 1

Your tank is incredible! I will be starting a 50 gallon soon and wanted to ask you which Magus Curve skimmer you are using? I can't decide between the 5 or the 7 but from what I've read every seems to love either one.

Thank you for your kind words. The skimmer is the BM180-A, I think that's a Curve 7 but I'm not 100% certain, it's a good skimmer, I've been happy with it.

Quite frustrated with a building where I was considering leasing an apartment. Management assured me that my 50G tank was allowed. I filled out an application, $125 application fee. Got approved and the lease says no more than 10G - in 2 places. Grounds for eviction and all is mentioned. So then they tell me they will get me something in writing, and don't. Then they say they can't. In the meantime they deposit my security deposit. Now I have to wait 30 days to get a refund. The way the initial paperwork is worded, if I opt not to sign a lease they have the right to take damages from my security deposit. This just keeps getting better.